Jump to topic:

Your opinion on TheAmazingAtheist?

Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2013 5:19:20 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
He calmly and rationally advances the best arguments for atheism. He's probably one of the greatest contenders against theism, and he's repeatedly made me reconsider some of my most fundamental beliefs. 10/10 would recommend
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2013 5:25:45 PM
The eloquence of this atheistic legend is surreal. I wish there were just some way for me to feel comfortable about my beliefs again.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2013 5:31:05 PM
At 7/27/2013 5:07:02 PM, GOP wrote:
Your opinion?

He's amazing and an atheist! Redundant, I know, but what else needs to be said?

Seriously, though, I've never really seen him. I tend to not watch atheist videos on youtube, except for QualiaSoup.
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2013 5:32:14 PM
At 7/27/2013 5:19:20 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:
He calmly and rationally advances the best arguments for atheism. He's probably one of the greatest contenders against theism, and he's repeatedly made me reconsider some of my most fundamental beliefs. 10/10 would recommend

Do I detect a scintilla of sarcasm?
GOP
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2013 5:40:31 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
HAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHABHABAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA!!!!
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2013 5:46:08 PM
The point of watching TheAmazingAtheist has nothing to do with debate. It's entertainment. And he's fully aware of this. I think he's a good entertainer.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2013 6:12:29 PM
At 7/27/2013 5:46:08 PM, FREEDO wrote:
The point of watching TheAmazingAtheist has nothing to do with debate. It's entertainment. And he's fully aware of this. I think he's a good entertainer.

This. Try TheThinkingAtheist or SisyphusRedeemed for eloquent defences. It'd be like looking at Gore Vidal or Al Murray for your political information. As the latter of them said: entertainers ought never be used in a political debate. Their role is to ridicule everyone. That's all.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2013 6:17:06 PM
At 7/27/2013 5:25:45 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:

The eloquence of this atheistic legend is surreal. I wish there were just some way for me to feel comfortable about my beliefs again.

سريالية
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2013 6:42:09 PM

You got me until I watched one of his videos.

Good one, good one.
Nolite Timere
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2013 6:43:42 PM
I love how his key argument on the existence of God is:

"There is in fact, no God."

Not that that is much better than some theists who go:

"I know there is a God because I feeeel it."

Not to say I haven't been/aren't still one.
Nolite Timere
SovereignDream
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2013 1:21:05 AM

effin' lol
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2013 4:15:29 AM

Nur-Ab-Sal, I have to follow you on the basis of the strength of your conversion, if you are converted, I am following...... There goes another theist.
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2013 4:53:44 AM
At 7/28/2013 4:15:29 AM, johnlubba wrote:

Nur-Ab-Sal, I have to follow you on the basis of the strength of your conversion, if you are converted, I am following...... There goes another theist.

That ain't happening anytime soon. You're fine. There is still a God, but the existence of this YouTube channel undoubtedly gives more credence to the Problem of Evil.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2013 5:08:41 AM
At 7/27/2013 6:12:29 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:

This. Try TheThinkingAtheist or SisyphusRedeemed for eloquent defences. It'd be like looking at Gore Vidal or Al Murray for your political information. As the latter of them said: entertainers ought never be used in a political debate. Their role is to ridicule everyone. That's all.

Just thought I'd throw in my two cents to this. While I generally agree with both above statements, I'd like to add that I have seen him advance some decent argumentation on both political and philosophical fronts. Albeit he does it in an entertaining manner.

Also, he is the other banana man. So, even if he tried to be serious, he never could be.

Another good suggestion for an eloquent defence would be grapplingignorance. And if you're looking for someone who is entertaining, but just as eloquent, then you should try potholer54, and his crocoduck award series.

Entertainers can make good arguments, albeit most tend towards not making them. But still, there are the few who's entertainment, more often than not, comes in the form of great argumentation.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2013 5:21:15 AM
At 7/28/2013 4:53:44 AM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:

That ain't happening anytime soon. You're fine. There is still a God, but the existence of this YouTube channel undoubtedly gives more credence to the Problem of Evil.

So I can still retain my theism, whoop whoop.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2013 5:43:02 AM
At 7/28/2013 5:21:15 AM, johnlubba wrote:

If you're willing to be intellectually dishonest, you can retain any belief.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2013 6:20:53 AM
At 7/28/2013 5:43:02 AM, muzebreak wrote:

Intellectually dis-hoenst, tsk, shall we debate this? the resolution is that belief in God is intellectually dis-honest. You can be Pro and I will be Con.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2013 6:59:46 AM
At 7/28/2013 6:20:53 AM, johnlubba wrote:

Intellectually dis-hoenst, tsk, shall we debate this? the resolution is that belief in God is intellectually dis-honest. You can be Pro and I will be Con.

No, you misunderstand. I was not saying that belief in god is necessarily intellectually dishonest, simply that you can retain any belief you want, if you're willing to be intellectually dishonest. Personally, I believe that a belief in god is retained either through ignorance or intellectual dishonesty. But, I would believe that, since I'm an atheist.

If you don't mind me asking, why do you believe in god?

johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2013 7:05:52 AM
At 7/28/2013 6:59:46 AM, muzebreak wrote:

No, you misunderstand. I was not saying that belief in god is necessarily intellectually dishonest, simply that you can retain any belief you want, if you're willing to be intellectually dishonest. Personally, I believe that a belief in god is retained either through ignorance or intellectual dishonesty. But, I would believe that, since I'm an atheist.

Then lets debate the resolution......

I believe that a belief in god is retained either through ignorance or intellectual dishonesty.

Burden of proof is on you?
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2013 8:09:42 AM
At 7/28/2013 5:08:41 AM, muzebreak wrote:
At 7/27/2013 6:12:29 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:

Just thought I'd throw in my two cents to this. While I generally agree with both above statements, I'd like to add that I have seen him advance some decent argumentation on both political and philosophical fronts. Albeit he does it in an entertaining manner.

Also, he is the other banana man. So, even if he tried to be serious, he never could be.

If this means other people won't take him seriously, I agree with you here, because some people are just narrow minded and can't see past the person when an argument is put forward.

Another good suggestion for an eloquent defence would be grapplingignorance. And if you're looking for someone who is entertaining, but just as eloquent, then you should try potholer54, and his crocoduck award series.

Entertainers can make good arguments, albeit most tend towards not making them. But still, there are the few who's entertainment, more often than not, comes in the form of great argumentation.

I'd personally say the best arguers now entertain when they speak. However, one is a persuader first who uses entertainment techniques. However, I do not think an entertainer first really ought to be taken on the merits of their arguments. They can put forth arguments, of course, but to evaluate someone on the basis of the aguments they present, when their role isn't to be presenting a persuasive case, seems a bit nonsensical.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2013 10:24:19 AM
At 7/28/2013 7:05:52 AM, johnlubba wrote:
At 7/28/2013 6:59:46 AM, muzebreak wrote:

Then lets debate the resolution......

I believe that a belief in god is retained either through ignorance or intellectual dishonesty.

Burden of proof is on you?

I'm more of a forum warrior. If you'd like, I can lay out my reasoning here, but I'm just not bothered having a debate, mainly because I'm allergic to commitment. Also, my question still stands: why do you believe in god?

Dan4reason
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2013 11:05:36 AM
Your opinion?

AmazingAtheist? Well he is not the most admirable character. He himself has admitted that he is not a nice guy and that he is very perverted. He tends to be rude and offensive.

However, he can be really funny especially when what he is making fun of people who deserve it, e.g. Glen Beck. If you cannot take his rudeness or you disagree with him, then don't watch him. However if you can take these things in stride, then he can be a great guy to watch.
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2013 12:46:47 PM
At 7/28/2013 11:05:36 AM, Dan4reason wrote:
Your opinion?

AmazingAtheist? Well he is not the most admirable character. He himself has admitted that he is not a nice guy and that he is very perverted. He tends to be rude and offensive.

However, he can be really funny especially when what he is making fun of people who deserve it, e.g. Glen Beck. If you cannot take his rudeness or you disagree with him, then don't watch him. However if you can take these things in stride, then he can be a great guy to watch.

What's wrong with being perverted?
Dan4reason
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2013 2:10:45 PM
At 7/28/2013 12:46:47 PM, DakotaKrafick wrote:
Your opinion?

Nothing personally. In fact, it sort of adds to the persona he projects. However some people do.
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2013 3:12:16 PM
At 7/28/2013 2:10:45 PM, Dan4reason wrote:
At 7/28/2013 12:46:47 PM, DakotaKrafick wrote:
Your opinion?

Nothing personally. In fact, it sort of adds to the persona he projects. However some people do.

Some people do what?