Total Posts:13|Showing Posts:1-13
Jump to topic:

Have ever seen anyone get owned this hard?

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2013 4:12:38 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
that's not really getting owned, that's just crowd-based bullying. I want you to imagine the same joke, except with the crowd being silent the entire time. Now the guy looks like an idiot for making it.

I'm a firm advocate of individualism; no point worth making should hinge on the participation of others to seem compelling.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2013 4:23:32 PM
At 7/30/2013 4:12:38 PM, 000ike wrote:
that's not really getting owned, that's just crowd-based bullying. I want you to imagine the same joke, except with the crowd being silent the entire time. Now the guy looks like an idiot for making it.

I'm a firm advocate of individualism; no point worth making should hinge on the participation of others to seem compelling.

It's compelling because Deepak contradicted himself, it has nothing to do with the crowd. Whether the crowd was there or not deepak got owned. Deepak said all beliefs are based on insecurity, then admitted he believed that.
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2013 4:28:07 PM
At 7/30/2013 4:23:32 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:

It's compelling because Deepak contradicted himself, it has nothing to do with the crowd. Whether the crowd was there or not deepak got owned. Deepak said all beliefs are based on insecurity, then admitted he believed that.

I'm guessing the context is that he said "all religious belief" but of course I don't know. If that is the case though, there's no contradiction.
yang.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2013 4:28:48 PM

lol totally missed the last part of that. Yes, it's an own in and of itself
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2013 4:30:36 PM
At 7/30/2013 4:28:07 PM, tulle wrote:

I'm guessing the context is that he said "all religious belief" but of course I don't know. If that is the case though, there's no contradiction.

No, if you watch the whole discussion, he clearly is referring to all belief.
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2013 4:36:37 PM
Man: You stated before that all belief is a cover up for insecurity. Right?
Deepak: Mm hmm.
Man: You believe that?
Deepak: Yes.

The rest of that is just applause, right? Unless I'm missing something, the context of that statement seems pretty clear.
yang.
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2013 4:38:52 PM
Sorry for the triple post, I suck at multitasking lol. Do you have a link to the whole discussion? I never really pay attention to anything Deepak Chopra says anyways but I'd love to see what he's talking about.
yang.
the_croftmeister
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2013 5:50:39 PM

To be fair, he didn't contradict himself. He could admit that he is insecure and his point would still stand.
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2013 6:06:54 PM
This is the kind of thing that's mildly amusing, but if we take it seriously we're been absolute idiots.

Imagine if Deepak Chopra said "The only thing I know is that I know nothing."

And now the man said "But do you know that?"

Would we laugh? I'd hope not. Yes, he said something self-contradictory, but to dismiss it as face-value contradictory is at best banal and at worst utterly childish and insulting the entire tradition of philosophy.

We take people by the meaning of the ideas they express, and the most intelligent forms. There are many things to call Deepak Chopra up on, but to call him up on this is to undermine the real effort proper scholars and skeptics and rationalists are going to to disprove his more harmful material.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 12:06:16 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Not related really. I watched the great video in the OP and then began browsing through videos and came accross this.

If, after you see how similar to BoG this guy is, you don't feel a chill down your spine then you're naive. What I wonder is, how would BoG feel if he watched this?