Jump to topic:

Muslims promote Sharia law. Why do Christians

GreatestIam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2013 6:52:27 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Muslims promote Sharia law. Why do Christians not promote their law?

Some Muslim communities run with Sharia law. Other nations with a high Muslim population promote Sharia. It would seem from this phenomenon that Muslim law can be used to run a society as it does so in a few countries.

I know of no country that uses Christian or biblical law and have not heard of any Christian effort to have their law accepted in their nation.

This indicates that either Muslims are more religious than Christians, or Christians know that their laws would never be accepted as the law of the land.

Meanwhile, the vast majority of nations have rejected both sets of religious laws for a more secular approach to law and governance.

Briefly ---

Which of these three sets of laws do you think are superior and why?

Regards
DL
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2013 3:47:44 AM
The way the laws are presented aren't the same. Islam is a clearer religion in terms of its imperatives.

The Christian holy law is the mitzvot as seen in Leviticus, it's word by word - verbatim - from the Hebrew Revelation to Moses. The Qur'an has the benefit of both being shorter and in only having a 'single' author. A great deal of what is understood in Islam is extra-scriptural to give a simple example, most of Islam's early prophets (Hebrew ones) aren't mentioned once in the Qur'an but are recognised implicitly.

It's not like Christianity were something is claimed only to be directly and openly contracted by a revelation revealed 500 years so later by a different prophet. I'll give the three most basic examples of Christian contradictions: Helal/Koshar, Execution and Divorce.

Helal/Koshar
Leviticus 11 and Deuteronomy 14 vs. Matthew 15

Execution
Every capital punishment in the Law vs. John 8

Divorce
Deuteronomy . 22:19 Deuteronomy 24 vs. Matthew 19:1-12

This also allows Christianity to be more diverse in interpretation, but that's not an ideal trait when I comes to religion.

tl;dr - Christianity preaches its law, then says don't follow it. Islam has no such incoherence.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2013 9:43:52 PM
Muslims consider the Qur'an as the verbatim word of God. In addition, there are hadith which very clearly serve as laws in a political context.

Shari'a Law is limited to Muslims nonetheless. An ideal Muslim society would have core Islamic teachings implemented, but would leave many laws to ideological groups. Christians would marry and divorce in accordance with Biblical laws, and so on. That you don't hear this on our Western media is for obvious reasons.
Bagofhammers
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2013 10:02:30 PM
It was the Sharia-like laws of Moses that condemned Jesus to the cross. Islam hasn't learned their lesson yet.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2013 11:16:48 PM
At 7/31/2013 9:43:52 PM, Mirza wrote:
Muslims consider the Qur'an as the verbatim word of God. In addition, there are hadith which very clearly serve as laws in a political context.

Shari'a Law is limited to Muslims nonetheless. An ideal Muslim society would have core Islamic teachings implemented, but would leave many laws to ideological groups. Christians would marry and divorce in accordance with Biblical laws, and so on. That you don't hear this on our Western media is for obvious reasons.

It's Adam and Eve... Not adam and steve.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2013 11:17:32 PM
At 7/31/2013 11:16:48 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

It's Adam and Eve... Not adam and steve.

note, I meant that as a reply to the whole thread... Not Mirza specifically...

I just accidentally responded to Mirza.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2013 11:18:38 PM
Also... Personhood begins from conception...

Therefore all abortions are murder.

Metaphysics:
Fruitytree
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2013 8:02:55 AM
Islam has a complete set of laws, it takes care of economy, politics, government, Civil rights, secular rights , it's not just a spiritual religion.

The problem with Christianity, is that someone called Paul told them they don't need the law, and thus the Christians became unfruitful in this sense. So Christians Believe the law isn't Necessary, whereas Muslims (like the Jews) believe it is.

I just want to bring your attention that Although most Muslims countries laws take their origin from Islamic laws, they still don't strictly Islamic, and the governments do transgress the Islamic law in many ways, hence why they don't succeed.
Fruitytree
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2013 8:05:24 AM
At 7/31/2013 10:02:30 PM, Bagofhammers wrote:
It was the Sharia-like laws of Moses that condemned Jesus to the cross. Islam hasn't learned their lesson yet.

The law of Moses didn't condemn Jesus, the Jews did for worldly reasons.
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2013 9:26:32 AM
At 7/30/2013 6:52:27 PM, GreatestIam wrote:
Muslims promote Sharia law. Why do Christians not promote their law?

Some Muslim communities run with Sharia law. Other nations with a high Muslim population promote Sharia. It would seem from this phenomenon that Muslim law can be used to run a society as it does so in a few countries.

I know of no country that uses Christian or biblical law and have not heard of any Christian effort to have their law accepted in their nation.

This indicates that either Muslims are more religious than Christians, or Christians know that their laws would never be accepted as the law of the land.

Meanwhile, the vast majority of nations have rejected both sets of religious laws for a more secular approach to law and governance.

Briefly ---

Which of these three sets of laws do you think are superior and why?

Regards
DL

Because there is no such thing as 'Christian law', and such a law is not a vital part of our faith, wheras there is such a thing as 'Sharia law', and that law is a vital part of the Muslim faith.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2013 10:44:07 AM
At 8/1/2013 8:05:24 AM, Fruitytree wrote:

What are you talking about. Jesus wasn't crucified according to your high priests. You really need to stop defending the pharicees.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Fruitytree
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2013 10:39:59 AM
At 8/1/2013 10:44:07 AM, bulproof wrote:

What are you talking about. Jesus wasn't crucified according to your high priests. You really need to stop defending the pharicees.

He was not crucified means his death was not due to crucifixion, and behold! take this :

17 `Because of this doth the Father love me, because I lay down my life, that again I may take it;

18 no one doth take it from me, but I lay it down of myself; authority I have to lay it down, and authority I have again to take it; this command I received from my Father.'
John 10 YLT, basically none could Kill Jesus according to the bible, and is confirmed by the Quran:

" And for their saying: verily We have slain the Messiah Isa son of Maryam, an apostle of Allah, whereas they slew him not, nor they crucified him but it was made dubious unto them. And verily those who differ therein are in doubt thereof, they have no knowledge thereof; they but follow an opinion; and surely they slew him not. (157) But Allah raised him unto Himself; and Allah is ever Mighty, Wise. (158) " Quran

And here : "Recall what time Allah said: O Isa! verily I shall make thee die, and am lifting thee to myself and am purifying thee from those who disbelieve, and shall place those who follow thee above those who disbelieve until the Day of Resurrection; thereafter unto Me shall be the return of you all, then I shall judge between you of that wherein ye were wont to differ. (55) "

So the Jews did plot, and did what they did, but the death of Jesus was a command from God.

Also you can know this if tour read the slaying verses in John, and how Jesus unexpectedly died before the other two, so much that one of the agents had to check if Jesus truly died here:

33 and having come to Jesus, when they saw him already having been dead, they did not break his legs;

34 but one of the soldiers with a spear did pierce his side, and immediately there came forth blood and water;
John 19 YLT
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2013 10:17:46 PM
At 7/31/2013 11:18:38 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

Including the ones committed by your god? Cos that's a whole other ball game if you wanna talk stats.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 1:46:46 AM
At 8/2/2013 10:17:46 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 7/31/2013 11:18:38 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

Including the ones committed by your god? Cos that's a whole other ball game if you wanna talk stats.

umm...

Sure, tell me the stats about my god

Metaphysics:
GreatestIam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 8:39:15 AM
At 7/31/2013 3:47:44 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
The way the laws are presented aren't the same. Islam is a clearer religion in terms of its imperatives.

The Christian holy law is the mitzvot as seen in Leviticus, it's word by word - verbatim - from the Hebrew Revelation to Moses. The Qur'an has the benefit of both being shorter and in only having a 'single' author. A great deal of what is understood in Islam is extra-scriptural to give a simple example, most of Islam's early prophets (Hebrew ones) aren't mentioned once in the Qur'an but are recognised implicitly.

It's not like Christianity were something is claimed only to be directly and openly contracted by a revelation revealed 500 years so later by a different prophet. I'll give the three most basic examples of Christian contradictions: Helal/Koshar, Execution and Divorce.

Helal/Koshar
Leviticus 11 and Deuteronomy 14 vs. Matthew 15

Execution
Every capital punishment in the Law vs. John 8

Divorce
Deuteronomy . 22:19 Deuteronomy 24 vs. Matthew 19:1-12

This also allows Christianity to be more diverse in interpretation, but that's not an ideal trait when I comes to religion.

tl;dr - Christianity preaches its law, then says don't follow it. Islam has no such incoherence.

Islam may be clearer but it still rejected by Muslins.
They are not as foolish as some think.

Regards
DL
GreatestIam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 8:44:39 AM

To Muslims yes but many of those say that if one is not Muslim, they are the enemy and should die.

True. The media concentrates on the many honor killings and institutionalized discrimination of women and gays instead of the good works of Muslims.

Regards
DL
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 11:15:13 AM

Lolwut. Jesus was a Jew. And was crucified by Romans.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Fruitytree
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2013 8:20:24 PM
At 8/3/2013 11:15:13 AM, DetectableNinja wrote:

Lolwut. Jesus was a Jew. And was crucified by Romans.

Did you ever read the Gospel ?! He was condemned because of the Jews, read John 18 and 19!
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 2:49:14 AM
I think it has something to do with the revolutions that societies which followed Christianity have experienced.
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2013 10:31:31 AM
At 8/3/2013 8:44:39 AM, GreatestIam wrote:
To Muslims yes but many of those say that if one is not Muslim, they are the enemy and should die.
The person in your video stated on the Sean Hannity show that non-Muslims, by his interpretation of the law, would have their human rights. Sure, not very liberal ones in entirety, but that's not death nor being proclaimed an enemy.

True. The media concentrates on the many honor killings and institutionalized discrimination of women and gays instead of the good works of Muslims.

Regards
DL
Muslims are too different to be put into one group. They belong to Islam, but there are various schools of thought and whatnot. Culture heavily impacts interpretation of religion, as well as education. I'm from Bosnia, and we're highly secular -- I was surprised to hear every Muslim there oppose any kind of cultural habit they have in Saudi Arabia that is not culturally common in Bosnia, or laws that are considered religious. The media avoid stating these differences among cultures.
GreatestIam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2013 11:20:45 AM
At 8/4/2013 2:49:14 AM, AlbinoBunny wrote:
I think it has something to do with the revolutions that societies which followed Christianity have experienced.

Perhaps.

Regards
DL
GreatestIam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2013 11:25:31 AM
At 8/5/2013 10:31:31 AM, Mirza wrote:
At 8/3/2013 8:44:39 AM, GreatestIam wrote:
The person in your video stated on the Sean Hannity show that non-Muslims, by his interpretation of the law, would have their human rights. Sure, not very liberal ones in entirety, but that's not death nor being proclaimed an enemy.

Regards
DL
Muslims are too different to be put into one group. They belong to Islam, but there are various schools of thought and whatnot. Culture heavily impacts interpretation of religion, as well as education. I'm from Bosnia, and we're highly secular -- I was surprised to hear every Muslim there oppose any kind of cultural habit they have in Saudi Arabia that is not culturally common in Bosnia, or laws that are considered religious. The media avoid stating these differences among cultures.

Any that accept the label of any religion must tolerate whatever opinions of that label are out there.

I had to and so will all others have to be they religious or not.

You are seen to be whatever you say you are.

Regards
DL