Jump to topic:

Is prayer cheating?

tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2013 10:28:05 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I can't help but feel that, in the spirit of competition, a Christian who prays to God has the same moral culpability as a person who cheats at a game/sport.

An athlete who dopes or uses some other type of enhancing drug is seen as cheating; a contestant on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire who enlists outside help from an audience member (that's not one of the lifelines) is seen as cheating. But those same people praying to God for outside strength or help is not seen as cheating.

Why not?
yang.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2013 10:31:56 PM
The obvious answer would be because performance enhancing drugs have a quantifiable impact on players, whereas prayer does not (or has not been found to).

The second most obvious answer would be that they'd have just as much benefit kissing their lucky rabbit's foot or chanting to Bigfoot.

I suspect neither of these are relevant to the spirit of your question, though =)

Maybe something along the lines of "I pray because it is God's will that I win" would be more appropriate.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2013 12:45:15 AM
At 7/30/2013 10:28:05 PM, tulle wrote:
I can't help but feel that, in the spirit of competition, a Christian who prays to God has the same moral culpability as a person who cheats at a game/sport.

An athlete who dopes or uses some other type of enhancing drug is seen as cheating; a contestant on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire who enlists outside help from an audience member (that's not one of the lifelines) is seen as cheating. But those same people praying to God for outside strength or help is not seen as cheating.

Why not?

Anything to get ahead.
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2013 7:15:49 AM
At 7/31/2013 1:30:17 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
God can always say no... and in the case of sports I don't know why he'd feel obliged to help you score goals in the name of entertainment.

Why would he feel obliged to help someone get a job, a spouse, to live, etc.? It doesn't make much sense to me. If I were the mistress of the universe, I wouldn't care about petty mortals and their trifling concerns.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2013 10:29:11 AM
At 7/31/2013 7:15:49 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 7/31/2013 1:30:17 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
God can always say no... and in the case of sports I don't know why he'd feel obliged to help you score goals in the name of entertainment.

Why would he feel obliged to help someone get a job, a spouse, to live, etc.? It doesn't make much sense to me. If I were the mistress of the universe, I wouldn't care about petty mortals and their trifling concerns.

I don't pretend to understand the mind of God.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2013 10:32:24 AM

Why not?

The same reason an athlete taking sugar pills believing they are steroids wouldn't be considered as having cheated.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2013 10:40:55 AM
tulle, ITT you clearly document your want for power over others. You think prayer and then think unfair advantage. That's complete and utter nonsense.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2013 10:47:01 AM
tulle very clearly just hates God and the idea of him. "Cry for me?! What about that girl who got raped by here father and brother?! How dare you?!" Fear and self-righteousness. More evidence for my point.
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2013 11:17:19 AM
At 7/30/2013 10:31:56 PM, Maikuru wrote:
The obvious answer would be because performance enhancing drugs have a quantifiable impact on players, whereas prayer does not (or has not been found to).

The second most obvious answer would be that they'd have just as much benefit kissing their lucky rabbit's foot or chanting to Bigfoot.

I suspect neither of these are relevant to the spirit of your question, though =)

Maybe something along the lines of "I pray because it is God's will that I win" would be more appropriate.

A Christian not only believes that God really answers prayers, but also believes a whole set of morals that dictate cheating people is wrong. If I believe I am cheating, but I don't realize that I'm not, I've still behaved in a deceitful manner, haven't I?
yang.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2013 11:30:13 AM
At 7/31/2013 11:17:53 AM, tulle wrote:
LOL Badger, neither you nor I has any clue what you're talking about.

I think we both do, tulle, and your chastisement of TULIP was actually rather despicable considering such.
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2013 11:34:39 AM
At 7/31/2013 11:30:13 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:

I think we both do, tulle, and your chastisement of TULIP was actually rather despicable considering such.

No, I really don't. If Tulip is too much of a delicate flower to handle someone else calling something else more worthy of tears, that's really not my problem.

You want to talk about power and control? Ever since you came back to DDO claiming to be clean from alcohol or whatever you've been on some nutjob God complex.
yang.
Df0512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2013 11:39:02 AM

Why not?

I always wondered this as well. Why would god give one team favor as opposed to another? What if both teams pray? I think god qualifies as an unfair advantage.
Df0512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2013 11:45:10 AM
At 7/31/2013 11:34:39 AM, tulle wrote:
At 7/31/2013 11:30:13 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:

No, I really don't. If Tulip is too much of a delicate flower to handle someone else calling something else more worthy of tears, that's really not my problem.

You want to talk about power and control? Ever since you came back to DDO claiming to be clean from alcohol or whatever you've been on some nutjob God complex.

Yikes