Jump to topic:

Religion. A matter of geography?

Mysterious_Stranger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2013 1:39:24 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I have noticed that certain aspects or indeed a persons entire religion or belief system is governed by where they live or where they were born which is probably because the religion they follow is the prominent faith of the country they live in, so it becomes possible to question that persons belief as their own because they have not had the choice to decide their own religion as their background or family has chosen it for them.
Turn around, go back.
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2013 1:57:25 PM
At 8/1/2013 1:39:24 PM, Mysterious_Stranger wrote:
I have noticed that certain aspects or indeed a persons entire religion or belief system is governed by where they live or where they were born which is probably because the religion they follow is the prominent faith of the country they live in, so it becomes possible to question that persons belief as their own because they have not had the choice to decide their own religion as their background or family has chosen it for them.

It's certainly true that where people live drastically influences their religious beliefs. To say then however, that because of that, the belief is false, is simply the genetic fallacy.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2013 2:21:15 AM
At 8/1/2013 1:57:25 PM, stubs wrote:

It's certainly true that where people live drastically influences their religious beliefs. To say then however, that because of that, the belief is false, is simply the genetic fallacy.
So your saying that the religious beliefs a person grew up with are the truth because of where they grew up. Wow what a stretch. I guess that means all converts have chosen falsehood.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Ruckmanite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2013 2:23:54 AM

Stubs is correct; it is a fallacy. I'm sure more people who live in Oxford, England, believe in Darwin's theory of Evolution than peope in Oxford, Missouri. What bearing does this have on the theory itself? Nothing.
Let your words be the genuine picture of your heart- John Wesley
Money is a horrid thing to follow, but a charming thing to meet-Henry James
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2013 3:58:30 AM
At 8/2/2013 2:23:54 AM, Ruckmanite wrote:

Stubs is correct; it is a fallacy. I'm sure more people who live in Oxford, England, believe in Darwin's theory of Evolution than peope in Oxford, Missouri. What bearing does this have on the theory itself? Nothing.

None whatsoever, the discussion was about religion. Do try to keep up.
TemperedEmpire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2013 4:37:25 AM

Of course it is, it has been documented for hundreds of years. This may not be the case all the time (such as the time I converted to Islam being brought up a Christian in Australia), and the fact that the geographic boundaries do change over time, but the point is noted; you shouldn't take peoples faith at face value.
Drayson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2013 4:57:55 AM

I don't think that's what he's saying. Rather, the foundation of their belief is false. They don't believe in their religion because they have good reason to think it's true, they believe because their family and society does.
"I'm not saying I don't trust you...and I'm not saying I do. But I don't"

-Topper Harley
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2013 7:19:28 AM

Because God loves putting the fate of people's souls on what amounts to a real-life game of Risk.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2013 8:05:10 AM
At 8/2/2013 4:57:55 AM, Drayson wrote:

I don't think that's what he's saying. Rather, the foundation of their belief is false. They don't believe in their religion because they have good reason to think it's true, they believe because their family and society does.

It's still a bad argument.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2013 8:26:38 AM
At 8/2/2013 8:05:10 AM, popculturepooka wrote:

It's still a bad argument.
It really is quite simple, even for a religionist. Which belief is the right belief? Since most people's beliefs are determined by the place/culture in which they are born and raised, how can you make a determination?
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2013 8:35:38 AM

This is correct. Religion has nothing to do with revealing the Truth so it doesn't matter what religion one of God's people gets involved with.

We saints get taken out of our religious mindset before we're born again into the knowledge of God (Christ). Christ teaches us that all religions of man are false in this false world of false gods.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2013 8:54:35 AM
At 8/2/2013 8:35:38 AM, bornofgod wrote:

This is correct. Religion has nothing to do with revealing the Truth so it doesn't matter what religion one of God's people gets involved with.

We saints get taken out of our religious mindset before we're born again into the knowledge of God (Christ). Christ teaches us that all religions of man are false in this false world of false gods.
Is there anyway you can bring forward your shooting yourself in the head? The world would be a better place earlier if you could. Thanks.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2013 9:41:00 AM
At 8/2/2013 8:54:35 AM, bulproof wrote:

Is there anyway you can bring forward your shooting yourself in the head? The world would be a better place earlier if you could. Thanks.

Psalm 41
5: My enemies say of me in malice: "When will he die, and his name perish?"
6: And when one comes to see me, he utters empty words, while his heart gathers mischief; when he goes out, he tells it abroad.
7: All who hate me whisper together about me; they imagine the worst for me

Amos 5
10: They hate him who reproves in the gate, and they abhor him who speaks the truth.

Jeremiah 7
27: "So you shall speak all these words to them, but they will not listen to you. You shall call to them, but they will not answer you.
28: And you shall say to them, `This is the nation that did not obey the voice of the LORD their God, and did not accept discipline; truth has perished; it is cut off from their lips.
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2013 10:17:02 AM

Mine isn't.
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2013 10:22:05 AM

In this case, most religions include super-powered entities which send information to middlemen about themselves. It makes you question why this happens in certain areas more, and in other areas maybe not even at all.

May the best man win!
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2013 10:23:08 AM

This too.

May the best man win!
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2013 10:24:58 AM

The goa'uld are not false gods!

May the best man win!
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2013 10:31:18 AM

We saints... wait, I've just realised something. Can't touch this, oh oh ohh ohh, oh oh ohh, can't touch this. (fake quote)

May the best man win!
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2013 10:43:03 AM
At 8/2/2013 10:31:18 AM, AlbinoBunny wrote:

We saints... wait, I've just realised something. Can't touch this, oh oh ohh ohh, oh oh ohh, can't touch this. (fake quote)

God's delusion is quite strong for those who can't see it.
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2013 10:56:22 AM
At 8/2/2013 10:43:03 AM, bornofgod wrote:
At 8/2/2013 10:31:18 AM, AlbinoBunny wrote:

God's delusion is quite strong for those who can't see it.

What does that even mean?

May the best man win!
Fruitytree
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2013 11:02:35 AM
At 8/2/2013 10:24:58 AM, AlbinoBunny wrote:

You finally gave a name to your newborn ?
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2013 11:04:19 AM
At 8/2/2013 11:02:35 AM, Fruitytree wrote:

Are you calling my newborn a parasite?

May the best man win!
Fruitytree
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2013 11:08:53 AM
At 8/2/2013 11:04:19 AM, AlbinoBunny wrote:

No of course not "_" , just thought this is the name you gave to your penta-god.
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2013 11:10:20 AM
At 8/2/2013 11:08:53 AM, Fruitytree wrote:

No of course not "_" , just thought this is the name you gave to your penta-god.

Blaspheme! I did call our foetus Goa'uld though, but now that name would be inappropriate and honestly quite malicious.

May the best man win!
Fruitytree
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2013 11:12:41 AM
At 8/2/2013 11:10:20 AM, AlbinoBunny wrote:

Blaspheme! I did call our foetus Goa'uld though, but now that name would be inappropriate and honestly quite malicious.

Ok, at least I will not need to memorise it.
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2013 11:16:23 AM
At 8/2/2013 11:12:41 AM, Fruitytree wrote:
At 8/2/2013 11:10:20 AM, AlbinoBunny wrote:

Ok, at least I will not need to memorise it.

You're lucky that the pentagods probably don't give a sh!t if people blaspheme against them or not. ;)

May the best man win!
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2013 6:28:42 PM

The word religion basically means the belief system of a group of individuals. Your group of believers does not have a set of beliefs?

So, the beliefs of human beings are false. What are you a frog?

So, we live in a false world. The sun is not real; the stars are not real; you're not real, and I'm not real. Everything is just a figment of the imagination.... Wait.... The imagination abides in the unreal universe. Does that mean it's not real, either?
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2013 6:59:48 PM

Okay, that's fine with me as long as we are not jumping to the actual belief is false because people believe it because their family or society does.
Fruitytree
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2013 7:49:39 PM
At 8/2/2013 11:16:23 AM, AlbinoBunny wrote:
You're lucky that the pentagods probably don't give a sh!t if people blaspheme against them or not. ;)

http://www.livescience.com...
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2013 9:04:33 PM
At 8/2/2013 6:28:42 PM, s-anthony wrote:

The word religion basically means the belief system of a group of individuals. Your group of believers does not have a set of beliefs?

So, the beliefs of human beings are false. What are you a frog?

So, we live in a false world. The sun is not real; the stars are not real; you're not real, and I'm not real. Everything is just a figment of the imagination.... Wait.... The imagination abides in the unreal universe. Does that mean it's not real, either?

I wouldn't define religion as basically as you did.

May the best man win!