Jump to topic:

Define God

wordy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 8:24:28 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Define God. What is the definition of God? Is the definition of God subjective? If the definition of subjective, does that mean that you will still be an atheist by believing in God. This kind of situation may occur if God's definition is subjective. I'll use an example as a model to clarify my point. By defining God not as the superior being, an atheist can believe in the existence of him.
wordy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 8:26:43 AM
At 8/4/2013 8:24:28 AM, wordy wrote:
Define God. What is the definition of God? Is the definition of God subjective? If the definition of subjective,
-->definition of *God
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 9:01:59 AM
Define God. What is the definition of God? Is the definition of God subjective? If the definition of subjective, does that mean that you will still be an atheist by believing in God. This kind of situation may occur if God's definition is subjective. I'll use an example as a model to clarify my point. By defining God not as the superior being, an atheist can believe in the existence of him.

Since God is individual the subject should derive from the object. I don't think the atheist could believe in any sort of god/gods seeing that it is rather obvious that they don't believe in any life beyond the physical and certainly not eternity as far as I can tell.
Why define God as NOT a superior Being when He is lol? How is that going to persuade the atheist to believe?
sdavio
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 9:24:09 AM
Amazing topic for a thread! Thank you for making this... In my opinion this is the most important thing about God and religion.. that it is defined as 'beyond understanding' and so is basically centered around an abstract, which is a big problem.
"Logic is the money of the mind." - Karl Marx
Mysterious_Stranger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 9:42:21 AM
An atheist is only an atheist if they completely reject the concept of a higher being or power.
Turn around, go back.
wordy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 9:48:28 AM
At 8/4/2013 9:42:21 AM, Mysterious_Stranger wrote:
An atheist is only an atheist if they completely reject the concept of a higher being or power.

What if we define God as not a higher being or power..
wordy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 9:49:41 AM
At 8/4/2013 9:24:09 AM, sdavio wrote:
Amazing topic for a thread! Thank you for making this... In my opinion this is the most important thing about God and religion.. that it is defined as 'beyond understanding' and so is basically centered around an abstract, which is a big problem.

You're welcome. Thanks for the compliment.
Mysterious_Stranger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 9:57:22 AM
At 8/4/2013 9:48:28 AM, wordy wrote:

How so? I have always perceived the concept of God as a power or being, what would your interpretation be?
Turn around, go back.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 10:03:50 AM

What if we define god as a cockroach. Would that do? It would for me except for one problem. We know cockroaches exist. Bugger that screws god. Never mind there are plenty more to go around. Like cockroaches.
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 10:33:43 AM

Could you answer my last question please? so I can understand your point. I don't think it's the definition that creeps out the atheist, I think it's the concept in general, they also have a physical perspective that debilitates them.
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 10:47:23 AM
At 8/4/2013 10:40:44 AM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
I like Neil Degrasse Tyson's definition: God is just an ever receding pocket of scientific ignorance.

Your comments lately are becoming less and less insightful lol. Are you no longer thinking ?
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 10:50:22 AM
At 8/4/2013 10:47:23 AM, matt.mcguire88 wrote:
I like Neil Degrasse Tyson's definition: God is just an ever receding pocket of scientific ignorance.

Your comments lately are becoming less and less insightful lol. Are you no longer thinking ?

What I said is actually very insightful, and true (I am always thinking). Neil Degrasse Tyson is one of the most insightful men in the world. The question I have for you is: when will you start thinking? I don't think have ever read anything insightful from you.
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 10:53:05 AM
At 8/4/2013 10:50:22 AM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:

What I said is actually very insightful, and true (I am always thinking). Neil Degrasse Tyson is one of the most insightful men in the world. The question I have for you is: when will you start thinking? I don't think have ever read anything insightful from you.

Well thank you, unfortunately I think ALL the time lol, it's just spontaneous.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 10:53:15 AM

Don't tedll me he's becoming a believer? Heaven and god and satan and mary and jesus and michael and gabriel and the wee cherubs forbid.
Oh nOooooooooo.
But those are the normal reasons for no longer thinking. Just saying.
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 11:02:41 AM

That wasn't really meant as an insult lol, less insightful as apposed to insightful. I've enjoyed reading some of your thoughts.
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 11:03:50 AM
At 8/4/2013 11:02:41 AM, matt.mcguire88 wrote:

That wasn't really meant as an insult lol, less insightful as apposed to insightful. I've enjoyed reading some of your thoughts.

"opposed"
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 11:21:34 AM

I think that the concept of God will always be a god and that means you can't believe in God and be an atheist simultaneously.
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 11:23:06 AM
At 8/4/2013 9:01:59 AM, matt.mcguire88 wrote:

Since God is individual the subject should derive from the object. I don't think the atheist could believe in any sort of god/gods seeing that it is rather obvious that they don't believe in any life beyond the physical and certainly not eternity as far as I can tell.
Why define God as NOT a superior Being when He is lol? How is that going to persuade the atheist to believe?

I'm glad someone understands about a god and gods, not just God. People seem to forget about that. lol

May the best man win!
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 11:31:47 AM
At 8/4/2013 11:23:06 AM, AlbinoBunny wrote:

I'm glad someone understands about a god and gods, not just God. People seem to forget about that. lol

An uppercase letter changes the property of these imaginary beings? Wow who woulda thunk that poor wee humans had so much control over infinite entities?
Ffuuck!!
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 11:44:47 AM

lol
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 12:27:28 PM
At 8/4/2013 11:31:47 AM, bulproof wrote:

An uppercase letter changes the property of these imaginary beings? Wow who woulda thunk that poor wee humans had so much control over infinite entities?
Ffuuck!!

It makes it a name (proper noun?), which makes it specific. God is not synonymous with and god and all gods, it almost always is to do with the Abrahamic religions, but people use it often to talk about any god.

May the best man win!