Jump to topic:

Me and My Cookies

santhony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 2:04:05 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I love to bake, but there are times I screw up. "No problem," I say to myself. "I know I left something out, and these cookies are going to turn out all wrong." So, instead of adding the missing ingredient in at the last minute, I stick the batch of cookies in the oven, regardless. However, when I go to take the cookies out the oven, I'm horrified by the way they turned out. "These cookies have disappointed me." I think to myself. "How dare they fall short of my expectations." I continue.

"I know what I'll do; I will return them to the oven and burn them to cinders. Therefore, the next batch will be more pleasing, having seen what becomes of those who fall short of my perfection."

Before you judge me, remember I'm the baker; and, I know what's best for my cookies.
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 2:18:29 PM
At 8/4/2013 2:12:58 PM, Mysterious_Stranger wrote:
I am still trying to figure out what this is doing in the religion thread...

Sorry. I should have specified. It's a parable.
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 2:21:16 PM
does this relate to the people who say, (in a way) "God created you so he knows whats best for you."
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
Mysterious_Stranger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 2:22:31 PM
At 8/4/2013 2:18:29 PM, s-anthony wrote:
At 8/4/2013 2:12:58 PM, Mysterious_Stranger wrote:
I am still trying to figure out what this is doing in the religion thread...

Sorry. I should have specified. It's a parable.

Ah I see now.
Turn around, go back.
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 2:25:09 PM
At 8/4/2013 2:21:16 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:
does this relate to the people who say, (in a way) "God created you so he knows whats best for you."

Yes.
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 2:25:30 PM
At 8/4/2013 2:25:09 PM, s-anthony wrote:
At 8/4/2013 2:21:16 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:

Yes.

knew it
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 2:53:06 PM
At 8/4/2013 2:04:05 PM, santhony wrote:
I love to bake, but there are times I screw up. "No problem," I say to myself. "I know I left something out, and these cookies are going to turn out all wrong." So, instead of adding the missing ingredient in at the last minute, I stick the batch of cookies in the oven, regardless. However, when I go to take the cookies out the oven, I'm horrified by the way they turned out. "These cookies have disappointed me." I think to myself. "How dare they fall short of my expectations." I continue.

"I know what I'll do; I will return them to the oven and burn them to cinders. Therefore, the next batch will be more pleasing, having seen what becomes of those who fall short of my perfection."

Before you judge me, remember I'm the baker; and, I know what's best for my cookies.

Then how come you screw up?
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 2:56:56 PM
At 8/4/2013 2:53:06 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:

This was my first thought...

How competent of a cookie creator can you possibly be if your first batch required destruction?

This seems to imply that "the creator" creates though trial and error...
Debate.org Moderator
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 3:08:47 PM

"Shall the clay say to him that fashioneth it, What makest thou?" - Isaiah 45:9
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 3:23:21 PM
At 8/4/2013 2:56:56 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

How competent of a cookie creator can you possibly be if your first batch required destruction?

The baker is an expert baker, with many years' experience. He knew exactly what he was doing the day he screwed up; but, remember we can't blame the baker for his screw ups.... The cookies must pay the price.... After all, they were complicit.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 3:28:01 PM
At 8/4/2013 3:23:21 PM, s-anthony wrote:

The baker is an expert baker, with many years' experience. He knew exactly what he was doing the day he screwed up; but, remember we can't blame the baker for his screw ups.... The cookies must pay the price.... After all, they were complicit.

In the metaphor the cookies are inanimate and aren't sentient.. how could they be blamed for anything?

In the example of people, they may have been complicit, due to their free will (assuming you are granting this assumption), but any flaws in them were cooked into them by their creator.

If then the creator decides to destroy them because of their flaws, this seems to be pointing to an attempt towards trial and error by the creator, just as the metaphor seems to describe.

And if we can't blame the baker for baking bad cookies who can we blame? the cookies didn't bake themselves...
Debate.org Moderator
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 3:36:32 PM
At 8/4/2013 3:29:35 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
and what's up with you using multiple accounts in this thread?

I have two accounts; one of which I never use. When I created this post, I accidentally signed into that account. When I realized it, I went back to using the account I normally use.
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 3:39:59 PM
At 8/4/2013 3:08:47 PM, s-anthony wrote:

"Shall the clay say to him that fashioneth it, What makest thou?" - Isaiah 45:9

What?

May the best man win!
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 3:40:41 PM
At 8/4/2013 3:36:32 PM, s-anthony wrote:
At 8/4/2013 3:29:35 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
and what's up with you using multiple accounts in this thread?

I have two accounts; one of which I never use. When I created this post, I accidentally signed into that account. When I realized it, I went back to using the account I normally use.

I see, you should deactivate that account then.
Debate.org Moderator
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 3:42:05 PM

The baker screwed up on purpose? The baker is to blame. How did the cookies have anything to do with it? The baker should pay the price. What sort of mad situation occurs where the cookies get punished for the baker creating them incorrectly? ...

May the best man win!
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 3:45:07 PM
At 8/4/2013 3:28:01 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

In the metaphor the cookies are inanimate and aren't sentient.. how could they be blamed for anything?

In the example of people, they may have been complicit, due to their free will (assuming you are granting this assumption), but any flaws in them were cooked into them by their creator.

If then the creator decides to destroy them because of their flaws, this seems to be pointing to an attempt towards trial and error by the creator, just as the metaphor seems to describe.

And if we can't blame the baker for baking bad cookies who can we blame? the cookies didn't bake themselves...

Whatever the creations are, sentient or otherwise, they are whatever the creator created them to be. They can have no more or no less than that which the creator gave them.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 3:45:49 PM
At 8/4/2013 3:42:05 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:

The baker screwed up on purpose? The baker is to blame. How did the cookies have anything to do with it? The baker should pay the price. What sort of mad situation occurs where the cookies get punished for the baker creating them incorrectly? ...

Well I think it makes sense that the cookies get punished (thrown away, destroyed) for being bad cookie (who would want to eat them?). But then I think one can easily justify firing the baker for being unable to bake proper cookies.
Debate.org Moderator
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 3:46:30 PM
At 8/4/2013 3:45:07 PM, s-anthony wrote:

Whatever the creations are, sentient or otherwise, they are whatever the creator created them to be. They can have no more or no less than that which the creator gave them.

This is demonstratively incorrect.

May the best man win!
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 3:48:39 PM

As true as this may be, if the creator destroyed them, he too thought they were flawed. If he just tries to create more cookies now, he's clearly baking by trial and error and is (as all bakers are) flawed.

I'm not really speaking to the greater meaning for all of this. I'm simply pointing out that this metaphor is clearly flawed.
Debate.org Moderator
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 3:49:57 PM
At 8/4/2013 3:45:49 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 8/4/2013 3:42:05 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:

Well I think it makes sense that the cookies get punished (thrown away, destroyed) for being bad cookie (who would want to eat them?). But then I think one can easily justify firing the baker for being unable to bake proper cookies.

Yeah, I guess.

May the best man win!
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 7:02:40 PM
At 8/4/2013 3:46:30 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:

From where do they attain that which the creator has not provided?
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 7:06:47 PM
At 8/4/2013 7:02:40 PM, s-anthony wrote:

When the baker leaves the cookies out for a month and they go mouldy.

May the best man win!
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 7:13:03 PM
At 8/4/2013 3:48:39 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

As true as this may be, if the creator destroyed them, he too thought they were flawed. If he just tries to create more cookies now, he's clearly baking by trial and error and is (as all bakers are) flawed.

I'm not really speaking to the greater meaning for all of this. I'm simply pointing out that this metaphor is clearly flawed.

The baker knew the cookies were flawed and had the wherewithal to modify the ingredients before he stuck the cookies in the oven. So, no; I would not classify this as "trial and error". For me, "trial and error" speaks of ignorance; for instance, trying something new, hoping it will turn out right.
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 7:25:36 PM
At 8/4/2013 7:06:47 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:

Notice: my last response was not about a mere baker but the Creator; because, we went from speaking about cookies (which has a limited application) to speaking about sentient and non-sentient creations; which has a much broader scope.
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 8:06:49 PM
At 8/4/2013 7:25:36 PM, s-anthony wrote:

Notice: my last response was not about a mere baker but the Creator; because, we went from speaking about cookies (which has a limited application) to speaking about sentient and non-sentient creations; which has a much broader scope.

It depends what the creator is like.

May the best man win!
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 8:28:42 PM
At 8/4/2013 8:06:49 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:

Think of the traditional Christian concept of God.
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 8:35:12 PM
At 8/4/2013 8:28:42 PM, s-anthony wrote:
At 8/4/2013 8:06:49 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:

Think of the traditional Christian concept of God.

Then it wouldn't make its creations incorrectly. Also we evolve.

May the best man win!