Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2013 2:28:40 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/12/2013 2:22:52 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
It depends.

Are they driving or flying?

What! You broke the bloody Teleporter again. Out damn spot.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2013 2:30:13 AM
At 8/12/2013 2:28:40 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 8/12/2013 2:22:52 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
It depends.

Are they driving or flying?

What! You broke the bloody Teleporter again. Out damn spot.

haha I suppose the teleporter would be the more logical choice.
Debate.org Moderator
Homosapien
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2013 3:31:12 AM
At 8/12/2013 2:18:34 AM, bulproof wrote:
For a pair of three toed sloths to reach the ark?

Hello Bulproof,

Three toed sloths originate and inhabit southern and central America (the continent - not the country) and can travel a maximum speed over land of approximately 0.24KM ph. (source 1).

The only known location of Noahs' Ark is Mount Ararat, which is at least it's supposed final resting place, assuming we follow the Christian version of events (there is also an Islamic and Jewish story associated with the ark) then the ark must itself be within 40 'floating' days of Mount Ararat.

This means we must take into account the speed of Noah's ark to reach mount Ararat in 40 days.

So

40 x 24 = 960

We can expect the boat to have averaged 5 miles per hour as it has no sails and is instead drifting aimlessly.

960 x 5 - 4800 land miles

Closest location to South America within 4800 land miles of Mount Ararat is Praria, on Cape Verde which is 4396 miles from the mount, and the only land location, assuming Noah did not have access to an offshore Ark building facility.

So the closest conceivable location for both the Sloths to the departure lounge and vice versa would be Cape Verde, for which a very competitive all inclusive offer can be found below, a good choice to build an Ark if ever there was(source 2)

However.

Three toed sloths are limited to warm environment, they are agile swimmers, but even the South Atlantic Ocean might be tough to traverse for their gentle nature.

So the optimum path for our heroes to take would be to travel up through America and cross into Russia through the Bering sea, it would be cold yes - but not as cold as the South Atlantic.

The South Atlantic can regularly average a surface temperature of -9 Celsius, the Bering gets colder, but on a good month the Sloths could catch the Southern portion at 1 degree Celsius. On the plus side, it's a much shorter trip, provided they survive (source 3)

Having completed this arduous task the sloths would have to traverse the far east, the Indian subcontinent, the middle east and Africa before another short swim to Cape Verde.

Covering a total of 10373.442 Miles.

At 0.24 KM per hour so....

10373.442 Miles = 16694.436642 Kilometres

16694.436642/0.24 = 69560.152675 Hours

Which is rounded up 2898 days approximately 7 years of constant travel, not stopping to eat, drink, sleep, or generally be a sloth.

Taking into account the activities above for every hour spent travelling another hour must be dedicated to sleep, collecting food and Sloth sex, as they mate all year round.

So it's actually 14 years.

The life expectancy of a Three toed sloth is 22 years, so provided the survive the lack of food, icy waters, predators, exhaustion, disease etc" then yes this is one of the few bible stories that is mathematically possible.

If not practically.

Best Regards,
Ben

Source 1:
http://en.wikipedia.org...

Source 2:
http://www.google.co.uk...

Source 3:
http://www.britannica.com...
royalpaladin describing me in all my majestic glory -

"He has a cabal of votebombers behind him."
"I'll be informing airmax about you."
"It reveals that you want to look like you are intelligent, but actually are not."
"Stupid because you didn't warrant or impact your moronic arguments. That's all you will ever be good for."
"You're making stupid assumptions, as usual. "
"You really are an arrogant buffoon, aren't you?"
"You're just coming off as extremely arrogant and condescending."
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2013 1:33:12 AM
Amazing thread.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2013 8:31:05 AM
At 8/13/2013 1:33:12 AM, bossyburrito wrote:
Amazing thread.

When this man is lowered to the bottom of a pit and the dirt is being placed on top of him, the few people there watching him being buried will remember him for this great amazing thread.

Dead people have no idea how dead they truly are.
Suqua
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2013 1:11:42 AM
At 8/12/2013 3:31:12 AM, Homosapien wrote:

Hello Bulproof,

Three toed sloths originate and inhabit southern and central America (the continent - not the country) and can travel a maximum speed over land of approximately 0.24KM ph. (source 1).

The only known location of Noahs' Ark is Mount Ararat, which is at least it's supposed final resting place, assuming we follow the Christian version of events (there is also an Islamic and Jewish story associated with the ark) then the ark must itself be within 40 'floating' days of Mount Ararat.

This means we must take into account the speed of Noah's ark to reach mount Ararat in 40 days.

So

40 x 24 = 960

We can expect the boat to have averaged 5 miles per hour as it has no sails and is instead drifting aimlessly.

Closest location to South America within 4800 land miles of Mount Ararat is Praria, on Cape Verde which is 4396 miles from the mount, and the only land location, assuming Noah did not have access to an offshore Ark building facility.

So the closest conceivable location for both the Sloths to the departure lounge and vice versa would be Cape Verde, for which a very competitive all inclusive offer can be found below, a good choice to build an Ark if ever there was(source 2)

However.

Three toed sloths are limited to warm environment, they are agile swimmers, but even the South Atlantic Ocean might be tough to traverse for their gentle nature.

So the optimum path for our heroes to take would be to travel up through America and cross into Russia through the Bering sea, it would be cold yes - but not as cold as the South Atlantic.

The South Atlantic can regularly average a surface temperature of -9 Celsius, the Bering gets colder, but on a good month the Sloths could catch the Southern portion at 1 degree Celsius. On the plus side, it's a much shorter trip, provided they survive (source 3)

Having completed this arduous task the sloths would have to traverse the far east, the Indian subcontinent, the middle east and Africa before another short swim to Cape Verde.

Which is rounded up 2898 days approximately 7 years of constant travel, not stopping to eat, drink, sleep, or generally be a sloth.

Taking into account the activities above for every hour spent travelling another hour must be dedicated to sleep, collecting food and Sloth sex, as they mate all year round.

The life expectancy of a Three toed sloth is 22 years, so provided the survive the lack of food, icy waters, predators, exhaustion, disease etc" then yes this is one of the few bible stories that is mathematically possible.

If not practically.

Best Regards,
Ben

Source 1:

Source 2:

Source 3:

Seems like alot of effort on your part to figure this out. Some how you never took into account that the earth was different than it is now. And perhaps, as you also surmise, that the creatures were different, example: had more energy. 120yrs in building, maybe those kinds of animals were alot closer to the boat, you know, the slower kind. Anyway, nice try!
But I can see that if I were an evolutionist I would see it your way of only a few thousand years ago the earth, as you believe, hasn't changed that much. I get it, I don't believe it tho.
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2013 1:23:00 AM

Depends on traffic. They had plenty time though, it took 100 years to build the ark.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2013 1:41:11 AM
At 8/17/2013 1:23:00 AM, medic0506 wrote:

Depends on traffic. They had plenty time though, it took 100 years to build the ark.

When did he send the younguns out to round up the critters?
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2013 1:44:13 AM
At 8/17/2013 1:11:42 AM, Suqua wrote:

Hello Bulproof,

So

40 x 24 = 960

However.

If not practically.

Best Regards,
Ben

Source 1:

Source 2:

Source 3:

Seems like alot of effort on your part to figure this out. Some how you never took into account that the earth was different than it is now. And perhaps, as you also surmise, that the creatures were different, example: had more energy. 120yrs in building, maybe those kinds of animals were alot closer to the boat, you know, the slower kind. Anyway, nice try!
But I can see that if I were an evolutionist I would see it your way of only a few thousand years ago the earth, as you believe, hasn't changed that much. I get it, I don't believe it tho.

That would be because it is science, something well beyond the ken of the permanently bewildered. It's OK nurse will be along shortly with your medication.
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2013 9:39:09 AM
At 8/17/2013 1:41:11 AM, bulproof wrote:

He didn't, God sent the animals to the ark.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2013 10:26:31 AM
At 8/17/2013 9:39:09 AM, medic0506 wrote:

Oh that's right. How did the monotreme mammalian marsupials get there and back? Oh I know magic.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2013 11:35:09 AM
At 8/17/2013 10:26:31 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 8/17/2013 9:39:09 AM, medic0506 wrote:

Oh that's right. How did the monotreme mammalian marsupials get there and back? Oh I know magic.

God works in mysterious ways my child.
Homosapien
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 5:44:37 AM
At 8/17/2013 1:11:42 AM, Suqua wrote:

Hello Bulproof,

So

40 x 24 = 960

However.

If not practically.

Best Regards,
Ben

Source 1:

Source 2:

Source 3:

Perhaps, sir, the humor was lost on you.

My apologies if it seemed in bad taste to apply science to a seemingly scientific question.

Best Regards,
Ben
royalpaladin describing me in all my majestic glory -

"He has a cabal of votebombers behind him."
"I'll be informing airmax about you."
"It reveals that you want to look like you are intelligent, but actually are not."
"Stupid because you didn't warrant or impact your moronic arguments. That's all you will ever be good for."
"You're making stupid assumptions, as usual. "
"You really are an arrogant buffoon, aren't you?"
"You're just coming off as extremely arrogant and condescending."