Total Posts:5|Showing Posts:1-5
Jump to topic:

Inspirational video

vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2013 8:29:48 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
This is a very inspirational video for those of you who are struggling with your faith or those who have practically lost it.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
Disquisition
Posts: 391
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2013 1:44:24 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/13/2013 8:29:48 PM, vbaculum wrote:
This is a very inspirational video for those of you who are struggling with your faith or those who have practically lost it.

I'm confused, should this video inspire me to retract my faith in God because children die everyday?

I don't agree with the logic that bad things happen, so therefore there is no God.
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2013 3:55:12 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/14/2013 1:44:24 AM, Disquisition wrote:
At 8/13/2013 8:29:48 PM, vbaculum wrote:
This is a very inspirational video for those of you who are struggling with your faith or those who have practically lost it.

I'm confused, should this video inspire me to retract my faith in God because children die everyday?

That's right.


I don't agree with the logic that bad things happen, so therefore there is no God.

That wasn't the argument's conclusion, though. The argument is that a supposed god either can't do anything about this overwhelming mass of suffering or he chooses not to.

What would your response be?
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
Disquisition
Posts: 391
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2013 5:20:52 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/14/2013 3:55:12 PM, vbaculum wrote:
That wasn't the argument's conclusion, though. The argument is that a supposed god either can't do anything about this overwhelming mass of suffering or he chooses not to.

What would your response be?

P1: God is good
P2: So everything God created is good

But there is evil ( or in this case disasters) in the world, so how can this be? Well that would cause someone to think God is evil or negligent.

This logic leaves out the possibility of what God created willingly choosing to do evil. Then you may ask why God would give man the propensity to do evil in the first place. Well would you rather have God force everyone in the world to be perfect or would want to be yourself. I think God wanted us to choose to do good rather than force us to be good.

As far as natural disasters, I honestly don't know why, but we always look at the negative side of situations without noticing the positive, what ever it may be.

These are just my views stemming from Christianity so don't attack me like most would.
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2013 5:26:20 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/14/2013 5:20:52 PM, Disquisition wrote:
As far as natural disasters, I honestly don't know why, but we always look at the negative side of situations without noticing the positive, what ever it may be.

in the case of many natural disasters it's tough to fathom there being a positive side of the situation....

And I would imagine many people affected by such disasters would be deeply offended by the notion that there's a positive side to it, and that such a Positive end of it could justify it's occurrence.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."