Jump to topic:

justin.graves has turned Atheist.

justin.graves
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2013 8:54:17 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Yes, you have read correctly. I've decided, after really knowing it for a while, that there is no God. I'm sorry to everyone I've confused like me. I'm an Atheist now. GWL-CPA, Magic8000, and others have finally convinced me. And some of my offline Atheist friends have convinced me to come out of the closet as it were. I'm an Atheist now.

Also, I've realized that my positions on abortion and gay marriage were completely based on my religion. I'm Pro-Choice and for Gay Marriage now.
-Justin K. Graves, Demon Hunter
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2013 9:02:15 PM
At 8/13/2013 8:54:17 PM, justin.graves wrote:
Yes, you have read correctly. I've decided, after really knowing it for a while, that there is no God. I'm sorry to everyone I've confused like me. I'm an Atheist now. GWL-CPA, Magic8000, and others have finally convinced me. And some of my offline Atheist friends have convinced me to come out of the closet as it were. I'm an Atheist now.

Also, I've realized that my positions on abortion and gay marriage were completely based on my religion. I'm Pro-Choice and for Gay Marriage now.

That's the first time I've ever heard someone giving praise to GWL for anything, but congrats nonetheless :D
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
MassiveDump
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2013 9:03:43 PM
Well sh!t.

It's not your decision that I'm necessarily disappointed in but rather the fact that you're so gullible that GWL was the one who somehow convinced you.
GOP
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2013 9:04:19 PM

I am sorry, man. I will pray for you. Maybe you are still a saved person, but just a lost sheep who has been backsliding. If that's the case, I really hope you will come back. The people in heaven would rejoice to hear about the sheep that repents after being gone away over the 99 sheep that needed no repentance.
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2013 9:04:46 PM
At 8/13/2013 9:02:15 PM, imabench wrote:

That's the first time I've ever heard someone giving praise to GWL for anything, but congrats nonetheless :D

I don't even know how you can claim you are a Catholic, but then congratulate someone for turning towards Atheism, supporting gay marriage, and becoming pro-choice.
Nolite Timere
Coinsruledude
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2013 9:06:52 PM
: At 8/7/2013 5:16:53 PM, Buddamoose wrote:
What Frack did wasn't scummy, because honestly, its not inconsistent, its not illogical, its just Frack.
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2013 9:06:53 PM
What about the right to life that should be guaranteed to all humans regardless of what stage they are in?

Or secular reasons on how the society is more efficient when marriage is sanctioned between man and woman?
Nolite Timere
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2013 9:07:34 PM
At 8/13/2013 9:06:33 PM, MassiveDump wrote:
>inb4 Crypto's 1000th post

Didn't get to make a new thread about it

Oh well, it's a 1000th post well spent.
Nolite Timere
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2013 9:08:12 PM
It you're genuinely an atheist now for some reason, I suspect that you were never really Christian. You don't wake up one morning and invert your whole world view unless this inversion was being suppressed by other factors until they gave way.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2013 9:09:38 PM
At 8/13/2013 9:04:46 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
At 8/13/2013 9:02:15 PM, imabench wrote:

I don't even know how you can claim you are a Catholic, but then congratulate someone for turning towards Atheism, supporting gay marriage, and becoming pro-choice.

It's mostly the 'overcoming-past-bias-and-becoming-a-more-rational-person-on-many-controversial-issues' thing I'm congratulating.... I couldnt care less if he still believes in God or not
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

justin.graves
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2013 9:09:38 PM
At 8/13/2013 9:05:48 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
What made you turn Atheist? Specifically?

Specifically, the cosmological argument's downfall, leaving the only argument for God killed. Also, I had a hard time reconciling Biblical doctrines together for some time now. It was more of a philosophical thing.
justin.graves
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2013 9:10:44 PM
At 8/13/2013 9:08:12 PM, 000ike wrote:
It you're genuinely an atheist now for some reason, I suspect that you were never really Christian. You don't wake up one morning and invert your whole world view unless this inversion was being suppressed by other factors until they gave way.

it's been brewing for some time, I just finally decided to admit it. It's been going on for some time.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2013 9:12:30 PM
At 8/13/2013 9:06:53 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
What about the right to life that should be guaranteed to all humans regardless of what stage they are in?

Never heard of this. Where did it come from?

Or secular reasons on how the society is more efficient when marriage is sanctioned between man and woman?

Gay marriage doesn't preclude heterosexual marriage. Herp.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2013 9:14:01 PM
At 8/13/2013 9:12:30 PM, drafterman wrote:

Smells like his own opinion to me

xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2013 9:15:20 PM

Are you serious? It's only the center argument supporting the pro-life position.

Maybe, maybe not. It ultimately takes out whatever special meaning marriage has and why the government promotes it in first place.

Anywho, this isn't a thread about social issues, more a thread on Justin becoming an Atheist quite randomly.
Nolite Timere
justin.graves
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2013 9:16:51 PM
At 8/13/2013 9:15:20 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

Are you serious? It's only the center argument supporting the pro-life position.

Maybe, maybe not. It ultimately takes out whatever special meaning marriage has and why the government promotes it in first place.

Anywho, this isn't a thread about social issues, more a thread on Justin becoming an Atheist quite randomly.

It wasn't random. Online, I was still totally Christian. Offline, I had my doubts. In the real world, I've started to come out more. This was just that last step to a long process.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2013 9:19:08 PM

Fetuses and embryos are not humans. There is no such thing as rights. A fetus is a woman's physiological property, the regulation of which is a violation of her constitutional rights.

There are no such reasons. Legal marriage serves an organization function that allows for efficient governance - this is achieved by any form of recognized, familial union. Procreation and the like are irrelevant to this contract.

I'll give you a couple more months on DDO. I guarantee that you'll shed at least one of these beliefs.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2013 9:21:02 PM
At 8/13/2013 9:16:51 PM, justin.graves wrote:

It wasn't random. Online, I was still totally Christian. Offline, I had my doubts. In the real world, I've started to come out more. This was just that last step to a long process.

What about this? And all of your explanations on how every religion you turned to never helped, how you could never find help on your own, yet when you turned to Christianity every pain went away and you understood that the Christian God does exist and he would always be with you?

Nolite Timere
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2013 9:22:11 PM
At 8/13/2013 9:19:08 PM, 000ike wrote:

Fetuses and embryos are not humans. There is no such thing as rights. A fetus is a woman's physiological property, the regulation of which is a violation of her constitutional rights.

There are no such reasons. Legal marriage serves an organization function that allows for efficient governance - this is achieved by any form of recognized, familial union. Procreation and the like are irrelevant to this contract.

I'll give you a couple more months on DDO. I guarantee that you'll shed at least one of these beliefs.

xXCryptoXx wrote:
Nolite Timere
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2013 9:22:26 PM
Out of curiosity, what was the "final straw"? I know you say "the cosmological argument's downfall", but what specifically made it fall down for you?
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
MassiveDump
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2013 9:22:40 PM
On a side note, what do you get when you cross an insomniac, an atheist, and a dyslexic.

A man who stays up all night aggressively blogging about how there is no dog.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2013 9:23:44 PM
At 8/13/2013 9:21:02 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

What about this? And all of your explanations on how every religion you turned to never helped, how you could never find help on your own, yet when you turned to Christianity every pain went away and you understood that the Christian God does exist and he would always be with you?

Those were arguments from emotion, and don't do well to establish the truth of the position. Lots of things are nice, perhaps even beneficial, to believe--doesn't make them true.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2013 9:27:05 PM
At 8/13/2013 9:23:44 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 8/13/2013 9:21:02 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

Those were arguments from emotion, and don't do well to establish the truth of the position. Lots of things are nice, perhaps even beneficial, to believe--doesn't make them true.

I understand.
Nolite Timere
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2013 9:27:49 PM
000ike: "It you're genuinely an atheist now for some reason, I suspect that you were never really Christian. You don't wake up one morning and invert your whole world view unless this inversion was being suppressed by other factors until they gave way."

Anna: I do not want to misrepresent him, but it was my impression that he was not a Christian. He was a Baptist. If so - and he believed their positions - I can see how he turned atheist.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
GOP
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2013 9:28:41 PM
At 8/13/2013 9:27:49 PM, annanicole wrote:
000ike: "It you're genuinely an atheist now for some reason, I suspect that you were never really Christian. You don't wake up one morning and invert your whole world view unless this inversion was being suppressed by other factors until they gave way."

Anna: I do not want to misrepresent him, but it was my impression that he was not a Christian. He was a Baptist. If so - and he believed their positions - I can see how he turned atheist.

Do you really think of the Baptist denomination that way?
MassiveDump
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2013 9:28:53 PM
At 8/13/2013 9:27:49 PM, annanicole wrote:

Self-induced head injuries inbound.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2013 9:44:24 PM

Hardly, Since many pro lifers support Capitol punishment.

Maybe, maybe not.

No maybes. It doesn't, period.

It ultimately takes out whatever special meaning marriage has and why the government promotes it in first place.

It doesn't do that, either. Divorce/annulment does, and the government has no problem with that.

Take it up with the person that raised the subjects.
MassiveDump
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2013 9:47:55 PM
At 8/13/2013 9:22:40 PM, MassiveDump wrote:
On a side note, what do you get when you cross an insomniac, an atheist, and a dyslexic.

A man who stays up all night aggressively blogging about how there is no dog.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net...