Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2013 7:39:32 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Called it:

At 8/15/2013 4:32:34 PM, Bullish wrote:
Is this a joke?

http://www.debate.org...

Are your views of gay marriage and abortion really different or was that all part of the experiment too?

Glad you at least changed something. :)
0x5f3759df
justin.graves
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2013 7:53:38 PM
At 8/15/2013 7:39:32 PM, Bullish wrote:
Called it:

Is this a joke?

Are your views of gay marriage and abortion really different or was that all part of the experiment too?

They are the same in real life. It was part of the experiment. Heck, I'm kind of mad right now at the Christian community for the way they treat new Atheists who leave the church and Atheists and general. I didn't like being treated the way I was and will change my treatment of Atheists now. I'm sorry to those I have offended. And this wasn't a stunt, but a social experiment. Kind of like in the Dark Knight, except both the Christian and Atheist boats blow each other up.
-Justin K. Graves, Demon Hunter
sdavio
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2013 8:00:00 PM
My main feeling about this is that it sort of cheapens DDO to have people doing things like this. If everyone starts doing these little tricks the site will just turn into... something stupid. Probably IMO you were thinking more about pulling off the lie, than you were genuinely interested in learning. If you'd have figured out a way to do the same thing in an earnest way, that is, ask it in the form of an honest question or statement, you'd have gotten better answers and would seem more like a mature human and less like you are trying to be a 'devious robot' or something. This also functions to split people into groups; 'Christian' and 'atheist,' rather than see each person as an individual.
"Logic is the money of the mind." - Karl Marx
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2013 8:08:07 PM
justin: " I'm kind of mad right now at the Christian community for the way they treat new Atheists who leave the church and Atheists and general."

Anna: I followed the posts, and nobody "treated you badly."
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2013 8:12:07 PM
First off, your credibility here is going to keep dropping every time you pull something like this. It genuinely scares and worries the Christian community when they lose someone who was apart of it.

Second, I don't understand how the Christians treated you bad at all. Read the message. We all have genuine worry for you. We discuss how we hope it's just a stage you're going through and that you'll come back. We tell you we'll pray for you. Everything was in good will.

Perhaps we may have not done as we could of, but in no way do I believe that we did bad.
Nolite Timere
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2013 8:26:32 PM
I liked it when the atheists "sorta" welcomed him, but expressed astonishment at the folks who actually influenced him. It would be like me saying, "Well, I'm glad you believe in God and Jesus Christ, but I'm a little perplexed that Dogknox and MadCornishBiker convinced you."
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
sdavio
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2013 8:48:59 PM
At 8/15/2013 8:26:32 PM, annanicole wrote:
I liked it when the atheists "sorta" welcomed him, but expressed astonishment at the folks who actually influenced him. It would be like me saying, "Well, I'm glad you believe in God and Jesus Christ, but I'm a little perplexed that Dogknox and MadCornishBiker convinced you."

Wait.. what's wrong with that? lol.
justin.graves
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2013 8:49:59 PM
Nothing that was said was inherently wrong. Really. It was a sudden breakdown. Atheists noticed that some people suddenly turned there backs on me and messaged me. My treatment was primarily over PM.

Now, this was obviously not the best way I could have done this, but I have a greater amount of empathy towards Atheists now. I honestly wanted to know how it felt so that I didn't treat people in the same way.

My intentions were good, but obviously my method was not the best. However, I knew this had to be done somehow. I saw things being said by Christians that I had said in a loving manner before, but was alienating and insulting to someone on the other side.

However, Atheists were so welcoming. Really. I'm actually thinking about leaving DDO. I figured I could use this and get the real experience, which I did, and come out learning more. And yes, I did.
-Justin K. Graves, Demon Hunter
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2013 9:08:13 PM
At 8/15/2013 8:48:59 PM, sdavio wrote:

Haha .... Well, if I convince you to drink Coca-Cola and smoke Camels, it would be helpful if I knew what Coca-Cola and Camels are - and drank and smoked them myself.
sdavio
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2013 9:36:22 PM
At 8/15/2013 9:08:13 PM, annanicole wrote:
At 8/15/2013 8:48:59 PM, sdavio wrote:

Haha .... Well, if I convince you to drink Coca-Cola and smoke Camels, it would be helpful if I knew what Coca-Cola and Camels are - and drank and smoked them myself.

Well, I guess it's the equivalent of being surprised if someone's convinced by a homeless guy on the street drinking and smoking rather than a movie star advertising it or something lol..
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2013 9:40:36 PM
The most telling was the christians who decided that he was never a christian in the first place. Talk about denial. Oh dear and oh so very christian.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2013 10:20:23 PM
At 8/15/2013 9:40:36 PM, bulproof wrote:
The most telling was the christians who decided that he was never a christian in the first place. Talk about denial. Oh dear and oh so very christian.

Denial? I didn't say he was never a Christian in the first place, but at the time I talked to him, he wasn't. He claimed to be a Baptist. I suppose they might loosely be called Christians in some circles for convenience' sake. But strictly speaking, he wasn't. The New Testament only will produce Christians only - and that's all it will make.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2013 10:45:13 PM
At 8/15/2013 10:20:23 PM, annanicole wrote:

Denial? I didn't say he was never a Christian in the first place, but at the time I talked to him, he wasn't. He claimed to be a Baptist. I suppose they might loosely be called Christians in some circles for convenience' sake. But strictly speaking, he wasn't. The New Testament only will produce Christians only - and that's all it will make.

When was your flavour of religion granted the rights to determine christianity?
LevelWithMe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2013 10:49:01 PM
Denial? I didn't say he was never a Christian in the first place, but at the time I talked to him, he wasn't.

I don't see him mentioning any specific names. At what point were you accused of anything?

"the christians who decided that he was never a christian in the first place" are the group, not "the christians".
LevelWithMe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2013 10:55:12 PM
At 8/15/2013 10:45:13 PM, bulproof wrote:

I was going to respond to that too, but halfway through I realized and/or remembered that it isn't even worth talking about.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2013 11:22:08 PM

The Bible determines "Christianity" - not some "flavor of religion". I am not the standard, nor do I set the standards. I specifically asked him if he was a Moslem, Baptist, Hindu, Taoist, Methodist, Christian, or what he was ... way back when he first joined. He responded that he was a Baptist.

Repeat: the New Testament only will produce Christians only. It will not produce Islamics. It will not produce Jehovah's Witnesses. I will not produce Hinduism.

If you think one can take a New Testament in hand and produce a Baptist or a Jehovah's Witness, do it.
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2013 11:28:36 PM
At 8/15/2013 8:49:59 PM, justin.graves wrote:
Nothing that was said was inherently wrong. Really. It was a sudden breakdown. Atheists noticed that some people suddenly turned there backs on me and messaged me. My treatment was primarily over PM.

Screenshot it and post it then.
Sargon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2013 11:30:06 PM
At 8/15/2013 11:28:36 PM, stubs wrote:

Or not. They're called private messages for a reason.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2013 11:30:11 PM
At 8/15/2013 11:22:08 PM, annanicole wrote:

The Bible determines "Christianity" - not some "flavor of religion". I am not the standard, nor do I set the standards. I specifically asked him if he was a Moslem, Baptist, Hindu, Taoist, Methodist, Christian, or what he was ... way back when he first joined. He responded that he was a Baptist.

Repeat: the New Testament only will produce Christians only. It will not produce Islamics. It will not produce Jehovah's Witnesses. I will not produce Hinduism.

If you think one can take a New Testament in hand and produce a Baptist or a Jehovah's Witness, do it.
The bible is the claim.
God is the claim.
Religion is the claim.
All of these claims are made by men.
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2013 11:36:13 PM
At 8/15/2013 11:30:06 PM, Sargon wrote:

Hahhahahahahha you're kidding right...
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2013 11:52:51 PM
At 8/15/2013 7:53:38 PM, justin.graves wrote:
At 8/15/2013 7:39:32 PM, Bullish wrote:
Called it:

Is this a joke?

They are the same in real life. It was part of the experiment. Heck, I'm kind of mad right now at the Christian community for the way they treat new Atheists who leave the church and Atheists and general.

Hey now I didn't give you sh*t at all and I was fine with it, yes most Christians can be d-bags towards someone accepting atheism but not all of us christians are Bible-waving hacks....

I didn't like being treated the way I was and will change my treatment of Atheists now. I'm sorry to those I have offended. And this wasn't a stunt, but a social experiment. Kind of like in the Dark Knight, except both the Christian and Atheist boats blow each other up.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Sargon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2013 11:53:44 PM
At 8/15/2013 11:36:13 PM, stubs wrote:

People message other people on the condition that it won't be broadcasted all over the forum. If someone wants to be a, well...prick, then go ahead and post people's PMs.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2013 12:02:09 AM
bulproof: "The bible is the claim.
God is the claim.
Religion is the claim.
All of these claims are made by men."

Anna: That is correct.

As previously stated, one cannot take a New Testament alone, and make a Baptist. Look at MadCornishBiker. He's a good example. He'll take the Bible as far as it goes. Then he gets his "spirit leading" (he exits the Bible), and the Spirit leads him to be a JW. Look at poor Dogknox. He does the same thing, but the Spirit leads him to the Catholic Church. Same with the Baptists: the Spirit leads them.

If I were an atheist, I would harp on that. Either (1) the Holy Spirit of Christianity is badly confused or (2) self-proclaimed followers of Christ can't understand all of these mysterious leadings. I have enough sense to know that the only way to unite Christianity is to DUMP all of these pretended and fake Spirit leadings. Can you imagine some Catholic priest claiming "the Spirit is leading me" - while he porks his next victim?
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2013 12:11:00 AM
At 8/15/2013 11:53:44 PM, Sargon wrote:

People message other people on the condition that it won't be broadcasted all over the forum. If someone wants to be a, well...prick, then go ahead and post people's PMs.

Who in their right mind would send something on the internet that really wouldn't want everyone seeing? 90% chance he's bluffing anyways, and if he is telling the truth I can't imagine it's any prominent Christian/Atheist on this site.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2013 12:11:38 AM
At 8/16/2013 12:02:09 AM, annanicole wrote:
bulproof: "The bible is the claim.
God is the claim.
Religion is the claim.
All of these claims are made by men."

Anna: That is correct.

As previously stated, one cannot take a New Testament alone, and make a Baptist. Look at MadCornishBiker. He's a good example. He'll take the Bible as far as it goes. Then he gets his "spirit leading" (he exits the Bible), and the Spirit leads him to be a JW. Look at poor Dogknox. He does the same thing, but the Spirit leads him to the Catholic Church. Same with the Baptists: the Spirit leads them.

If I were an atheist, I would harp on that. Either (1) the Holy Spirit of Christianity is badly confused or (2) self-proclaimed followers of Christ can't understand all of these mysterious leadings. I have enough sense to know that the only way to unite Christianity is to DUMP all of these pretended and fake Spirit leadings. Can you imagine some Catholic priest claiming "the Spirit is leading me" - while he porks his next victim?
Where is the passage prohibiting paedophilia?
Sargon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2013 12:28:33 AM
At 8/16/2013 12:11:00 AM, stubs wrote:
At 8/15/2013 11:53:44 PM, Sargon wrote:

Who in their right mind would send something on the internet that really wouldn't want everyone seeing? 90% chance he's bluffing anyways, and if he is telling the truth I can't imagine it's any prominent Christian/Atheist on this site.

I'm talking about PMs. It's true to say you shouldn't post things you don't want seen publicly.