Total Posts:45|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Stuff the Bible Says (Marriage and Family)

DeFool
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2013 7:19:22 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
It is my view that the bible is a random document that cannot be taken as "truth."

Commands that we must love our wives cannot be taken seriously unless we also take seriously commands that we kill our wives. If we cannot understand these vile passages (they are out of context) then we cannot understand those sweet ones. What we cannot understand we cannot obey intentionally.

In this thread, as I get around to it, I will list everything that I can find on the topic of biblical marriage... directly from scripture. We see quickly that it is impossible to obey this book without being willing to commit criminal acts.
DeFool
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2013 7:22:30 PM
Exodus 22: A woman must marry her rapist, if she is raped. If her father does not agree that she be wed to the rapist, then the rapist must pay a fine to the father.
-------
22:16 And if a man entice a maid that is not betrothed, and lie with her, he shall surely endow her to be his wife.
22:17 If her father utterly refuse to give her unto him, he shall pay money according to the dowry of virgins.
DeFool
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2013 7:25:42 PM
Deuteronomy:

If a newly wed man suspects that his new wife was not a virgin, then she must be killed.
-----

22:20 But if this thing be true, and the tokens of virginity be not found for the damsel:
22:21 Then they shall bring out the damsel to the door of her father's house, and the men of her city shall stone her with stones that she die: because she hath wrought folly in Israel, to play the whore in her father's house: so shalt thou put evil away from among you.
DeFool
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2013 7:33:07 PM
Genesis:

Man and woman shall follow the precedent set in the Garden at Eden:
------

2:24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.
DeFool
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2013 7:35:13 PM
Matthew:

Divorce is forbidden, but fornication is not always.
------

19:9 And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.
DeFool
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2013 7:35:41 PM
At 8/27/2013 7:34:23 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
Current law of the people at the time does not equal Divine and Moral Law.

You are correct.
DeFool
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2013 7:38:23 PM
Genesis:

An example of uncriticized infidelity:
-----

16:1 Now Sarai Abram's wife bare him no children: and she had an handmaid, an Egyptian, whose name was Hagar.

16:2 And Sarai said unto Abram, Behold now, the LORD hath restrained me from bearing: I pray thee, go in unto my maid; it may be that I may obtain children by her. And Abram hearkened to the voice of Sarai.

16:3 And Sarai Abram's wife took Hagar her maid the Egyptian, after Abram had dwelt ten years in the land of Canaan, and gave her to her husband Abram to be his wife.

16:4 And he went in unto Hagar, and she conceived:
DeFool
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2013 7:40:37 PM
Exodus:
Polygamy is specifically not condemned.
-------
21:10 If he take him another wife; her food, her raiment, and her duty of marriage, shall he not diminish.
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2013 7:57:03 PM
At 8/27/2013 7:35:41 PM, DeFool wrote:

You are correct.

So then what is the point you are trying to make?
Nolite Timere
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2013 9:17:32 PM

Yes. It did. These laws are from no other book, except the Jewish bible. These laws were said to be given by Moses, himself, the great law-giver of the Jewish people. The ancient Jewish state was theocracy; there was no separation of Church and State. Moses was appointed by God, the judges were appointed by God, and the kings of Israel were appointed by God. To rebel against the government was to rebel against God's anointed.
AeneasPhebe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2013 10:59:51 PM
At 8/27/2013 7:22:30 PM, DeFool wrote:
Exodus 22: A woman must marry her rapist, if she is raped. If her father does not agree that she be wed to the rapist, then the rapist must pay a fine to the father.
-------
22:16 And if a man entice a maid that is not betrothed, and lie with her, he shall surely endow her to be his wife.
22:17 If her father utterly refuse to give her unto him, he shall pay money according to the dowry of virgins.

There is nothing wrong here and of so then explain why. A woman represents the church of Christ which is the bride of Christ. A woman is only suited for one man...

2 Corinthians 11:2
For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ.

So, what is wrong with a man who takes a woman, marrying her? Leaving her pure and honorable.

Deuteronomy:
If a newly wed man suspects that his new wife was not a virgin, then she must be killed.
-----
22:20 But if this thing be true, and the tokens of virginity be not found for the damsel:
22:21 Then they shall bring out the damsel to the door of her father's house, and the men of her city shall stone her with stones that she die: because she hath wrought folly in Israel, to play the whore in her father's house: so shalt thou put evil away from among you.:

Note that this is the Old Testament, which is not under grace and the blood of Christ but on mans own blood and repentance. The only way to find forgiveness was for the Israelites to wipe the sin from them by blood and sacrifice, which is what is done here. Plays into the first post as well.

Genesis:
------
2:24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.:

Nothing wrong here.

Matthew:Divorce is forbidden, but fornication is not always.
------
19:9 And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.:

Fornication is always forbidden and you contradict yourself here from the above posts.

Genesis:
-----
16:1 Now Sarai Abram's wife bare him no children: and she had an handmaid, an Egyptian, whose name was Hagar.
16:2 And Sarai said unto Abram, Behold now, the LORD hath restrained me from bearing: I pray thee, go in unto my maid; it may be that I may obtain children by her. And Abram hearkened to the voice of Sarai.
16:3 And Sarai Abram's wife took Hagar her maid the Egyptian, after Abram had dwelt ten years in the land of Canaan, and gave her to her husband Abram to be his wife.

Yes it was, Abraham was denied the promise land because of it and the seed from Hagar would produce a great enemy of Israel in the future.

Exodus:
-------
21:10 If he take him another wife; her food, her raiment, and her duty of marriage, shall he not diminish.:

Shall he not diminish?
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2013 11:06:32 PM
At 8/27/2013 9:17:32 PM, s-anthony wrote:

Yes. It did. These laws are from no other book, except the Jewish bible. These laws were said to be given by Moses, himself, the great law-giver of the Jewish people. The ancient Jewish state was theocracy; there was no separation of Church and State. Moses was appointed by God, the judges were appointed by God, and the kings of Israel were appointed by God. To rebel against the government was to rebel against God's anointed.

No, just, no.

God did not directly appoint anyone but Moses. The laws at the time were subject to what humans thought by their own moral sense was appropriate, not by the Divine law of God.
Nolite Timere
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 12:16:16 AM
At 8/27/2013 10:59:51 PM, AeneasPhebe wrote:
-------

There is nothing wrong here and of so then explain why. A woman represents the church of Christ which is the bride of Christ. A woman is only suited for one man...

For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ.

So, what is wrong with a man who takes a woman, marrying her? Leaving her pure and honorable.

Deuteronomy:
-----
22:21 Then they shall bring out the damsel to the door of her father's house, and the men of her city shall stone her with stones that she die: because she hath wrought folly in Israel, to play the whore in her father's house: so shalt thou put evil away from among you.:

Note that this is the Old Testament, which is not under grace and the blood of Christ but on mans own blood and repentance. The only way to find forgiveness was for the Israelites to wipe the sin from them by blood and sacrifice, which is what is done here. Plays into the first post as well.

Genesis:
------
2:24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.:

Nothing wrong here.

------
19:9 And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.:

Fornication is always forbidden and you contradict yourself here from the above posts.

Genesis:
-----

Yes it was, Abraham was denied the promise land because of it and the seed from Hagar would produce a great enemy of Israel in the future.

Exodus:
-------
21:10 If he take him another wife; her food, her raiment, and her duty of marriage, shall he not diminish.:

Shall he not diminish?

Ahh the beauty of the christian. Rape is just fine. Nothing wrong here
Reach up and scratch that worms nuts will ya?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 8:12:30 AM
At 8/27/2013 11:06:32 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
At 8/27/2013 9:17:32 PM, s-anthony wrote:

No, just, no.

God did not directly appoint anyone but Moses. The laws at the time were subject to what humans thought by their own moral sense was appropriate, not by the Divine law of God.

Why don't you ask an Orthodox Jew or a Jewish historian about the sacredness of the Torah?
DeFool
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 12:00:12 PM
Numbers:

In this longer passage, Moses is ordered by the pre-born Jesus to have his men marry children. This passage is beyond evil, and represents one of the most horrible verses in all of scripture. I encourage anyone interested to read the section in its entirety. I only post the relevant portions here.

Biblical marriage is here completely impossible to distinguish from child rape and sexual enslavement, as part of a larger war-crime. It is important to note that Jesus ordered the atrocity, while he was still Yahweh.
-------

7 They attacked Midian as the Lord had commanded Moses, and they killed all the men. 8 All five of the Midianite kings"Evi, Rekem, Zur, Hur, and Reba"died in the battle. They also killed Balaam son of Beor with the sword.

9 Then the Israelite army captured the Midianite women and children and seized their cattle and flocks and all their wealth as plunder.
10 They burned all the towns and villages where the Midianites had lived.
11 After they had gathered the plunder and captives, both people and animals,
12 they brought them all to Moses and Eleazar the priest, and to the whole community of Israel, which was camped on the plains of Moab beside the Jordan River, across from Jericho.
13 Moses, Eleazar the priest, and all the leaders of the community went to meet them outside the camp.
14 But Moses was furious with all the generals and captains[a] who had returned from the battle.

15 "Why have you let all the women live?" he demanded.
16 "These are the very ones who followed Balaam"s advice and caused the people of Israel to rebel against the Lord at Mount Peor. They are the ones who caused the plague to strike the Lord"s people.
17 So kill all the boys and all the women who have had intercourse with a man.
18 Only the young girls who are virgins may live; you may keep them for yourselves.
DeFool
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 12:01:16 PM
At 8/27/2013 7:57:03 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

You are correct.

I am making my points in the first portion of the posts. The bible makes its points at the bottom of the posts.
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 12:08:45 PM
At 8/27/2013 7:57:03 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

You are correct.

These laws were commanded, according tot he bible, by God himself, making them, within the context of the bible, divine and moral.
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 12:24:46 PM
-------

One man... and one man alone? So a woman must never have two or more sexual partners or husbands in her lifetime?

Uh, the fact that he raped her against her will? Its one thing to be betrothed to someone in an arranged marriage. Its a whole other thing to be forced into marriage after being raped.

But let me ask you this. If we made a law that forced a rapist to marry his rape victim, would you be okay with it?

Deuteronomy:
-----

Yes, but the blood and sacrifice of animals, and not humans. Meaning that your objection doesnt hold.

In the old testament, the blood and sacrifice was to sacrifice an animal and burn the offering so that God can smell the offering being burned, and this was the way to forgiveness. It has nothing to do with sacrificiing humans, or putting up the offering of human blood.

Genesis:
------

Nothing wrong here.

------

I guess you dont understand what "Except" means.

Genesis:
-----

If i remember my bible study classes accurately, didnt Hagar try, or think about trying to escape, because Abrahams wife, Sarai, kept beating her, and she didnt want to bear Abrahams child, to which an angel came down and convinced Hagar to stay, and endure the beatings and rape, so that she may bear a child named Sammael or something?

Exodus:
-------

Shall he not diminish?

Funny, i dont remember seeing a question mark at the end of the verse.
DeFool
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 2:05:29 PM
At 8/28/2013 12:24:46 PM, tkubok wrote:
-------

One man... and one man alone? So a woman must never have two or more sexual partners or husbands in her lifetime?

Uh, the fact that he raped her against her will? Its one thing to be betrothed to someone in an arranged marriage. Its a whole other thing to be forced into marriage after being raped.

But let me ask you this. If we made a law that forced a rapist to marry his rape victim, would you be okay with it?

Deuteronomy:
-----

Yes, but the blood and sacrifice of animals, and not humans. Meaning that your objection doesnt hold.

In the old testament, the blood and sacrifice was to sacrifice an animal and burn the offering so that God can smell the offering being burned, and this was the way to forgiveness. It has nothing to do with sacrificiing humans, or putting up the offering of human blood.

Genesis:
------

Nothing wrong here.

------

I guess you dont understand what "Except" means.

Genesis:
-----

If i remember my bible study classes accurately, didnt Hagar try, or think about trying to escape, because Abrahams wife, Sarai, kept beating her, and she didnt want to bear Abrahams child, to which an angel came down and convinced Hagar to stay, and endure the beatings and rape, so that she may bear a child named Sammael or something?

Exodus:
-------

Shall he not diminish?

Funny, i dont remember seeing a question mark at the end of the verse.

These are questions that must be faced by those who believe in the sacredness of one sentence in the bible, but do not care to apply the same authority to other sentences. Every utterance is sacred, or every utterance is not sacred.

"I will obey, with great thunder and fury, this passage in this book because it is a passage in this book. Those passages in the same book, however, I will find loopholes that allow me to disregard those."
DeFool
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 2:48:00 PM
Deuteronomy:

Another example of the LORD sanctioning a matrimonial union between children, and the kidnappers who murdered or enslaved their mothers and fathers. Child rape is pleasing to the LORD.
----------

10 When you march up to attack a city, make its people an offer of peace.
11 If they accept and open their gates, all the people in it shall be subject to forced labor and shall work for you.
12 If they refuse to make peace and they engage you in battle, lay siege to that city.
13 When the Lord your God delivers it into your hand, put to the sword all the men in it. 14 As for the women, the children, the livestock and everything else in the city, you may take these as plunder for yourselves. And you may use the plunder the Lord your God gives you from your enemies.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 7:59:45 PM
At 8/28/2013 7:09:45 PM, medic0506 wrote:
This thread is exactly why no one in their right mind goes to atheists to learn the Bible.

Yeah because we don't have any sugar coating.
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 10:34:55 AM
This thread is exactly why no one in their right mind goes to atheists to learn the Bible.

Only if a person in their "Right mind" is someone who can cherry pick his beleifs and be a hypocrite who relies on logical fallacies to support his beliefs.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2013 12:19:28 AM
At 8/27/2013 7:19:22 PM, DeFool wrote:
It is my view that the bible is a random document that cannot be taken as "truth."

Commands that we must love our wives cannot be taken seriously unless we also take seriously commands that we kill our wives. If we cannot understand these vile passages (they are out of context) then we cannot understand those sweet ones. What we cannot understand we cannot obey intentionally.

In this thread, as I get around to it, I will list everything that I can find on the topic of biblical marriage... directly from scripture. We see quickly that it is impossible to obey this book without being willing to commit criminal acts.

Right. And that is why most believers cherry pick the bible. What they don't get is how annoying it is to be lectured by a cherry picker when they invoke.................the bible says..........as an argument for something.

I wonder who they think they are kidding. We all know you are forced into such rationalization to try and justify rejecting exactly what the bible commands or sets as an example.

Law of the common people ? let me guess, the person who says this will tell us what is divine law and what isn't.................ya know cause they say so.

I don't like what the bible says here = law of common people

I like what the bible says here = Divine law

Is that how it works ?
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
DeFool
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2013 1:15:29 AM
At 8/30/2013 12:19:28 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

Right. And that is why most believers cherry pick the bible. What they don't get is how annoying it is to be lectured by a cherry picker when they invoke.................the bible says..........as an argument for something.

I wonder who they think they are kidding. We all know you are forced into such rationalization to try and justify rejecting exactly what the bible commands or sets as an example.

Law of the common people ? let me guess, the person who says this will tell us what is divine law and what isn't.................ya know cause they say so.

I don't like what the bible says here = law of common people

I like what the bible says here = Divine law

Is that how it works ?

So it seems to you and I. To my mind, it does not seem that we are often asked to obey gods and goddesses, but priests. These men have no real claim to power other than the authority of scripture, which I satanically reject in its entirety.

Note: The most evil and vile humans alive worship gentle Jesus with all their heart. Sometimes. When they are called to task for the harm that they cause, they immediately flip through the pages of their grimoire bible, and inevitably locate some scripture that will offer thunderous justification for their crimes.

That this tactic has worked so well for so many centuries is testimony to how eager we are to not offend madmen. There is no telling what they might justify in retaliation. I have noticed that today, unlike centuries past, these men have lost the legal ability to burn me at the stake.

I regularly benefit from this new development.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2013 5:37:03 AM

LOL! Astute observation medic.

When I was a neophyte debater, I used to think the atheists weren't aware that they ware misquoting, taking out of context, and being illogical.

Most of them don't want to debate anyway but only want a soapbox from which to rant. So responding to them is solely done for the lulz.

But there will always be enough newbie forum posters to keep them happily ranting.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2013 6:58:59 AM
At 9/1/2013 5:37:03 AM, ethang5 wrote:

LOL! Astute observation medic.

When I was a neophyte debater, I used to think the atheists weren't aware that they ware misquoting, taking out of context, and being illogical.

Most of them don't want to debate anyway but only want a soapbox from which to rant. So responding to them is solely done for the lulz.

But there will always be enough newbie forum posters to keep them happily ranting.
You're confused neophyte, this:
misquoting, taking out of context, and being illogical.
describes "christians"

Carry on no harm done.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2013 11:42:18 AM

The Bible wasn't made for man to obey but many fools try.

The Bible is satan's handbook in a Christians hands and God's handbook in a saints hands.

When I tell a Christian to burn their Bible, it shows me what god is more important to them.

The Romans understood that the pagan beliefs they added to their new testament would end up being the favorites of Christianity.

To trust any inspired words of God with people (Romans) who killed the writers of those inspired words is like giving a pail of water to the person who started you on fire.

Once a Christian preacher opens his mouth, he won't stop lying until his pocket is filled with offerings collected by sinners who thought they were listening to the truth.