Total Posts:14|Showing Posts:1-14
Jump to topic:

Non-religious people are more happy ?

Nela55
Posts: 3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 8:25:34 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Hello, I wanted to ask few questions,sorry for my bad English,I hope you will understand what I meant.
I hope to get answers from religious people.
I read comments in one fourm from many people that prayed for many,many years but they could never feel happines. I don't mean on people who are asking God for the things,I'm talking about people who suffer from depression or anxiety and who only wanted to feel peace again within themselfs. They have said more they prayed,it get only worse? How can be that? They were praying for many years,with all their hearts but nothing changed...

I also have depression from time to time, I believe in God, but I'm afraid to pray because of what I have read, they said it only gets worse? I think it's horrific truth.,because noone can explain why prayer don't help people?

I also have noticed how people who don't pray or believe in God too much or disscus religion, are more happy in their lives. Why is that so? Example: there are poeple who pray all their lifes, but they have bad luck ,they lost many familly members in various accidents for example, they became depressed ,and otherwise you have people who don't pray,don't believe in God and never suffer horrible faith ?
It seems like something is very wrong with religion when people are more happier without prayng or thinking about it. In Scandinavia people are more happier and relaxed, and they are mostly athiets. Ok, they have better standard but they don't believe and they are still happy within themselfs?

I want to believe in God, but I'm so confused. :-( I hope God will forgive me for what I'm talking, but I'm really confused.
slo1
Posts: 4,364
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 9:40:59 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/28/2013 8:25:34 AM, Nela55 wrote:
Hello, I wanted to ask few questions,sorry for my bad English,I hope you will understand what I meant.
I hope to get answers from religious people.
I read comments in one fourm from many people that prayed for many,many years but they could never feel happines. I don't mean on people who are asking God for the things,I'm talking about people who suffer from depression or anxiety and who only wanted to feel peace again within themselfs. They have said more they prayed,it get only worse? How can be that? They were praying for many years,with all their hearts but nothing changed...

I also have depression from time to time, I believe in God, but I'm afraid to pray because of what I have read, they said it only gets worse? I think it's horrific truth.,because noone can explain why prayer don't help people?

I also have noticed how people who don't pray or believe in God too much or disscus religion, are more happy in their lives. Why is that so? Example: there are poeple who pray all their lifes, but they have bad luck ,they lost many familly members in various accidents for example, they became depressed ,and otherwise you have people who don't pray,don't believe in God and never suffer horrible faith ?
It seems like something is very wrong with religion when people are more happier without prayng or thinking about it. In Scandinavia people are more happier and relaxed, and they are mostly athiets. Ok, they have better standard but they don't believe and they are still happy within themselfs?

I want to believe in God, but I'm so confused. :-( I hope God will forgive me for what I'm talking, but I'm really confused.

People who are religious tend to be happier in societies that value religiousness versus those who are not. However those who are not religious can be more happy than those who are religious in societies that don't value religiousness. As you mention the Scandinavian countries that rate highest for happiness don't have very religious society as a whole.

That entire phenomena starts getting into "In" and "Out" groups and how various groups impact each other.

As far as praying for help and getting worse, there is an awful lot that could be going on there.

Peace comes from the point of recognizing that you are not in control and you become accepting that God has you and has a plan for you regardless of what the plan is or how hard it is. The act of praying for something and not getting it can cause more anxiety.

I think many people would classify the people you mention as really praying for the wrong thing.

I recommend, if praying to a deity is not working to help someone, they should take some time to practice meditation. It is hard to find information that separates the basic practice of being able to start to control the thought patterns in our minds versus all the hokus pokus.

There is great value for religious and non-religious people to be able to recognize when they have thought patterns that interrupt them every second of the day and how to "toss them out" without causing physical or anxiety type responses.

Try this. Sit comfortably and calmly and focus on your breath. Count each breath as you breath in. Only focus on that. How long did it take before a thought came into your mind and interrupted your count and focus on the breath?

If you went over 3 you did really good. What was the thought that interrupted you? Was it about what you had for breakfast? Was it about something that upset you?

That right there is the point of meditation. Being able to recognize a through that creeps in and then just tossing it out without judgement or creating anxiety.

When people train their minds they can then focus on prayer, listening to other, and all types of activities in a more mindful way, which increases the value of those activities.

All religions have well respected people in the religion who recommend the practice of meditation and it is just as valuable to those who are not religious.
pozessed
Posts: 1,034
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 8:46:14 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/28/2013 8:25:34 AM, Nela55 wrote:
Hello, I wanted to ask few questions,sorry for my bad English,I hope you will understand what I meant.
I hope to get answers from religious people.
I read comments in one fourm from many people that prayed for many,many years but they could never feel happines. I don't mean on people who are asking God for the things,I'm talking about people who suffer from depression or anxiety and who only wanted to feel peace again within themselfs. They have said more they prayed,it get only worse? How can be that? They were praying for many years,with all their hearts but nothing changed...

I also have depression from time to time, I believe in God, but I'm afraid to pray because of what I have read, they said it only gets worse? I think it's horrific truth.,because noone can explain why prayer don't help people?

I also have noticed how people who don't pray or believe in God too much or disscus religion, are more happy in their lives. Why is that so? Example: there are poeple who pray all their lifes, but they have bad luck ,they lost many familly members in various accidents for example, they became depressed ,and otherwise you have people who don't pray,don't believe in God and never suffer horrible faith ?
It seems like something is very wrong with religion when people are more happier without prayng or thinking about it. In Scandinavia people are more happier and relaxed, and they are mostly athiets. Ok, they have better standard but they don't believe and they are still happy within themselfs?

I want to believe in God, but I'm so confused. :-( I hope God will forgive me for what I'm talking, but I'm really confused.

I believe that having faith in your beliefs creates happiness.
Your post signifies that you have lost faith in God, for whatever purpose, even though you still believe in God. I think if your faith was stronger you'd be happier. It doesn't necessarily have to be a faith in God either, but rather a true dedication to whatever beliefs you feel are logically justified.
The best way to strengthen your faith would be to find address conflicts and confront them. Once the conflict is resolved your insight will deterministically strengthen your faith, for or against, whichever view you are contesting.

My question is; what is making you so unhappy that you doubt God?
tkubok
Posts: 5,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 10:31:10 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/28/2013 8:25:34 AM, Nela55 wrote:
Hello, I wanted to ask few questions,sorry for my bad English,I hope you will understand what I meant.
I hope to get answers from religious people.
I read comments in one fourm from many people that prayed for many,many years but they could never feel happines. I don't mean on people who are asking God for the things,I'm talking about people who suffer from depression or anxiety and who only wanted to feel peace again within themselfs. They have said more they prayed,it get only worse? How can be that? They were praying for many years,with all their hearts but nothing changed...

Nothing changed, because prayer is useless.


I also have depression from time to time, I believe in God, but I'm afraid to pray because of what I have read, they said it only gets worse? I think it's horrific truth.,because noone can explain why prayer don't help people?

Prayer doesnt help people, because prayer is useless.


I also have noticed how people who don't pray or believe in God too much or disscus religion, are more happy in their lives. Why is that so? Example: there are poeple who pray all their lifes, but they have bad luck ,they lost many familly members in various accidents for example, they became depressed ,and otherwise you have people who don't pray,don't believe in God and never suffer horrible faith ?
It seems like something is very wrong with religion when people are more happier without prayng or thinking about it. In Scandinavia people are more happier and relaxed, and they are mostly athiets. Ok, they have better standard but they don't believe and they are still happy within themselfs?

Again, because prayer is useless.

The problem here, is that prayer is the belief that youre doing something, when infact, youre doing nothing. Its a sugar pill, a placebo effect.

The atheists and nonbelievers are more happier, because instead of putting their hands and minds to prayer, they put their hands and minds to work. Instead of thinking "Oh please God save me, help my problem", they are thinking "This is my own problem and I have to find a way to fix it myself."

Remember, two hands at work are infinitely more useful than two hands in prayer.


I want to believe in God, but I'm so confused. :-( I hope God will forgive me for what I'm talking, but I'm really confused.

Why would you want to believe in God?
madilincrock
Posts: 22
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2013 4:42:39 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I am happy because i empower myself and do yoga everyday and this pretty much puts me in a good mood and gives me strength and power. I dont conform to religous texts that grounds me to a low level of spirituality by infesting me with lies that can be dis-proven. Nor am i fearful o f a hell that does not exsist. i control my own life and when something happens, i handle it. Sure, we all have bad days, but the reasons why religous people are more depressed and stressed out, because they have no lives. They dedicated their life into some non-exsistent character that we can prove beyond all doubt that it s not real, yet others still cring on to this lie and they eventually become depressed drons with a plastic smile to hide all the pain they are go through.

If one people read the site:

exposingchristianity.com
Dogknox
Posts: 5,094
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2013 4:46:47 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/28/2013 8:25:34 AM, Nela55 wrote:
Hello, I wanted to ask few questions,sorry for my bad English,I hope you will understand what I meant.
I hope to get answers from religious people.
I read comments in one fourm from many people that prayed for many,many years but they could never feel happines. I don't mean on people who are asking God for the things,I'm talking about people who suffer from depression or anxiety and who only wanted to feel peace again within themselfs. They have said more they prayed,it get only worse? How can be that? They were praying for many years,with all their hearts but nothing changed...

I also have depression from time to time, I believe in God, but I'm afraid to pray because of what I have read, they said it only gets worse? I think it's horrific truth.,because noone can explain why prayer don't help people?

I also have noticed how people who don't pray or believe in God too much or disscus religion, are more happy in their lives. Why is that so? Example: there are poeple who pray all their lifes, but they have bad luck ,they lost many familly members in various accidents for example, they became depressed ,and otherwise you have people who don't pray,don't believe in God and never suffer horrible faith ?
It seems like something is very wrong with religion when people are more happier without prayng or thinking about it. In Scandinavia people are more happier and relaxed, and they are mostly athiets. Ok, they have better standard but they don't believe and they are still happy within themselfs?

I want to believe in God, but I'm so confused. :-( I hope God will forgive me for what I'm talking, but I'm really confused.

Nela55 Good to meet you...
I reply: I am happy!

Jesus rose from the dead! No one can die more then one time!!!
I am IN Jesus' holy Body, as long as I remain IN Jesus I will also rise to everlasting life! It is just this simple!!

Dogknox
Mysterious_Stranger
Posts: 1,562
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2013 1:20:38 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
It truly is a shame, I am really unhappy that I do not get the privilege of punching gays and getting away with it, or burning heretics. Or the best yet, screaming hatred at soldiers funerals. I truly am very unhappy I am not religious because I cannot exploit the pathetic loophole that is "Freedom of belief"
Turn around, go back.
Dan4reason
Posts: 1,168
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2013 4:13:15 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/28/2013 8:25:34 AM, Nela55 wrote:
Hello, I wanted to ask few questions,sorry for my bad English,I hope you will understand what I meant.
I hope to get answers from religious people.
I read comments in one fourm from many people that prayed for many,many years but they could never feel happines. I don't mean on people who are asking God for the things,I'm talking about people who suffer from depression or anxiety and who only wanted to feel peace again within themselfs. They have said more they prayed,it get only worse? How can be that? They were praying for many years,with all their hearts but nothing changed...

I have some depression too. Believe me, religion is not going to help you at all. The best solutions are medications, and finding the source of the depression and aggressively trying to fix it.

I also have depression from time to time, I believe in God, but I'm afraid to pray because of what I have read, they said it only gets worse? I think it's horrific truth.,because noone can explain why prayer don't help people?

I also have noticed how people who don't pray or believe in God too much or disscus religion, are more happy in their lives. Why is that so? Example: there are poeple who pray all their lifes, but they have bad luck ,they lost many familly members in various accidents for example, they became depressed ,and otherwise you have people who don't pray,don't believe in God and never suffer horrible faith ?
It seems like something is very wrong with religion when people are more happier without prayng or thinking about it. In Scandinavia people are more happier and relaxed, and they are mostly athiets. Ok, they have better standard but they don't believe and they are still happy within themselfs?

I want to believe in God, but I'm so confused. :-( I hope God will forgive me for what I'm talking, but I'm really confused.

Really, how happy you are comes down partially to your attitude in general, mental state, and how your life is. You can easily become happy without religion by doing the things that make you happy in the long run.
Naysayer
Posts: 746
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2013 6:34:45 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/28/2013 8:25:34 AM, Nela55 wrote:
Hello, I wanted to ask few questions,sorry for my bad English,I hope you will understand what I meant.
I hope to get answers from religious people.
I read comments in one fourm from many people that prayed for many,many years but they could never feel happines. I don't mean on people who are asking God for the things,I'm talking about people who suffer from depression or anxiety and who only wanted to feel peace again within themselfs. They have said more they prayed,it get only worse? How can be that? They were praying for many years,with all their hearts but nothing changed...

I also have depression from time to time, I believe in God, but I'm afraid to pray because of what I have read, they said it only gets worse? I think it's horrific truth.,because noone can explain why prayer don't help people?

I also have noticed how people who don't pray or believe in God too much or disscus religion, are more happy in their lives. Why is that so? Example: there are poeple who pray all their lifes, but they have bad luck ,they lost many familly members in various accidents for example, they became depressed ,and otherwise you have people who don't pray,don't believe in God and never suffer horrible faith ?
It seems like something is very wrong with religion when people are more happier without prayng or thinking about it. In Scandinavia people are more happier and relaxed, and they are mostly athiets. Ok, they have better standard but they don't believe and they are still happy within themselfs?

I want to believe in God, but I'm so confused. :-( I hope God will forgive me for what I'm talking, but I'm really confused.

The best cure for unhappiness is to start focusing on others. When we are continually praying for our own problems, we tend to narrow in on them. Start finding some people around you are in need and pray for them and/or help them.

When you say you have depression, do you mean literal clinical depression or you just get down and swamped by your situation?

As far as a theology that says people pray for their problems and things get worse, that's atleast not biblical. The Bible says which of your children would ask for bread and you'd give him a stone? And God is a much better father than we could ever hope to be.

It does say when you ask, believe. If you don't believe what you're praying for, don't expect to get anything. (James 1)

Find some other people to pray for. Give some serious time to seeking God for their benefit. You'll please God because you're displaying characteristics of his Son who intercedes for us.
Polaris
Posts: 1,120
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2013 7:34:24 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/28/2013 8:25:34 AM, Nela55 wrote:
Hello, I wanted to ask few questions,sorry for my bad English,I hope you will understand what I meant.
I hope to get answers from religious people.
I read comments in one fourm from many people that prayed for many,many years but they could never feel happines. I don't mean on people who are asking God for the things,I'm talking about people who suffer from depression or anxiety and who only wanted to feel peace again within themselfs. They have said more they prayed,it get only worse? How can be that? They were praying for many years,with all their hearts but nothing changed...

I also have depression from time to time, I believe in God, but I'm afraid to pray because of what I have read, they said it only gets worse? I think it's horrific truth.,because noone can explain why prayer don't help people?

I also have noticed how people who don't pray or believe in God too much or disscus religion, are more happy in their lives. Why is that so? Example: there are poeple who pray all their lifes, but they have bad luck ,they lost many familly members in various accidents for example, they became depressed ,and otherwise you have people who don't pray,don't believe in God and never suffer horrible faith ?
It seems like something is very wrong with religion when people are more happier without prayng or thinking about it. In Scandinavia people are more happier and relaxed, and they are mostly athiets. Ok, they have better standard but they don't believe and they are still happy within themselfs?

I want to believe in God, but I'm so confused. :-( I hope God will forgive me for what I'm talking, but I'm really confused.

My advice for you would be to reflect on your past, present, and future self, and to determine what kind of person you would like to be, and then to take small reasonable steps in that direction to make it happen. Motivation, and purpose are big factors in what people are happy and what people are not.
Composer
Posts: 5,858
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2013 8:29:02 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Sunday, October 15, 2006
Does Religion Benefit Society?

In my travels I"ve come across the claim that the United States would be much better if everyone was a Christian (or sometimes it"s just some kind of theist) many times. I haven"t seen any polls done on that belief, but based on my experience I bet a good number of people hold it.

Which I why I found this study to be so interesting. It"s titled Cross-National Correlations of Quantifiable Societal Health with Popular Religiosity and Secularism in the Prosperous Democrasies . . . . (from the (Online Source: Journal of Society and Religion.))

Gregory S. Paul analyzed a whole boatload of data on nearly every indicator for societal health, from violence to STDs, from nearly every first-world country, and compared that to the country"s religiosity. Lets see what he found.

For starters, almost everyone knows that the US is pretty religious. But just in case you didn"t: "[T]he United States is the only prosperous first world nation to retain rates of religiosity otherwise limited to the second and third worlds." The polls I"ve read vary, but it"s usually between 80 and 90 percent of people believing in a god of some form, with over half taking the Bible literally (although this study says 30%), and a solid majority attending regular services (although this study says 40%). Like I said, polls vary, but the numbers are in that range.

One good indicator of societal health is murder rates. People in a healthy society don"t kill each other. Plus, the Bible says, "Thou shalt not kill", so if people take the Bible seriously (as a large number of Americans do), we should have lower murder rates. This is not the case: "[T]he U.S. is the only prosperous democracy that retains high homicide rates, making it a strong outlier in this regard." We"re not the only one, either: "Similarly, theistic Portugal also has rates of homicides well above the secular developed democracy norm."

High religiosity doesn"t help our kids much either, we have far more school shootings and the same teen suicide rates as the other Western democracies. How about violent crime? The story is a little bit better here: "Other prosperous democracies do not significantly exceed the U.S. in rates of nonviolent and in non-lethal violent crime, and are often lower in this regard." Well, that"s some good news. Kind of.

How do we fare with teenage pregnancy? After all, every religion I know of preaches abstinence until marriage, so shouldn"t religion decrease teenage pregnancy? Well, no: "Early adolescent pregnancy and birth have dropped in the developed democracies" but rates are two to dozens of times higher in the U.S. where the decline has been more modest." As you would expect with this data, we also have poor STD rates: "[R]ates of adolescent gonorrhea infection remain six to three hundred times higher in the U.S. than in less theistic, pro-evolution secular developed democracies... The U.S. also suffers from uniquely high adolescent and adult syphilis infection rates."

But surely we get less abortions. We have the largest percentage of people who believe in God, and quite a large number of (generally religious) pro-lifers, so we must kill less babies? Right? Again, no: "Increasing adolescent abortion rates show positive correlation with increasing belief and worship of a creator, and negative correlation with increasing non-theism and acceptance of evolution."

It"s pretty clear that high religiosity doesn"t help out our society very much. But that"s not the end of it, we even tend to die sooner than other democracies: "Life spans tend to decrease as rates of religiosity rise, especially as a function of absolute belief."

To sum up:

In general, higher rates of belief in and worship of a creator correlate with higher rates of homicide, juvenile and early adult mortality, STD infection rates, teen pregnancy, and abortion in the prosperous democracies... The United States is almost always the most dysfunctional of the developed democracies, sometimes spectacularly so, and almost always scores poorly. The view of the U.S. as a "shining city on the hill" to the rest of the world is falsified when it comes to basic measures of societal health.
["]
Although they are by no means utopias, the populations of secular democracies are clearly able to govern themselves and maintain societal cohesion. Indeed, the data examined in this study demonstrates that only the more secular, pro-evolution democracies have, for the first time in history, come closest to achieving practical "cultures of life" that feature low rates of lethal crime, juvenile-adult mortality, sex related dysfunction, and even abortion. The least theistic secular developed democracies such as Japan, France, and Scandinavia have been most successful in these regards.

Because I"m pretty sure that some people will protest, I want to point out a few things. First, I don"t think religious people are bad, and this study does not make that claim. Second, I"m not saying that religion makes society bad. As I"ve said before, correlation does not mean causation. It could very well be that there is something else underlying this trend; the US is different enough from Europe where that"s entirely possible. However, it would be very, very difficult for the claim that religion makes societies better to be true. As Mr. (Gregory S. Paul - #gs_paul) says:

The non-religious, pro-evolution democracies contradict the dictum that a society cannot enjoy good conditions unless most citizens ardently believe in a moral creator. The widely held fear that a Godless citizenry must experience societal disaster is therefore refuted. Contradicting these conclusions requires demonstrating a positive link between theism and societal conditions in the first world with a similarly large body of data - a doubtful possibility in view of the observable trends.

Also, don"t write this off as only one study, especially without looking through his references (which I deleted from the quotes, there were quite a few). Even dismissing this one, I"ve read others (such as one here, although it"s a bit buried), and I"ve seen a good portion of the data. It would be almost impossible for religion to make society as a whole better given the fact that secular Europe beats us in every measure of societal health. However, I doubt that anyone who has made this claim will be influenced by studies like this one. Which is unfortunate, because the sooner we move past the ridiculous claim that more religion is what we need, we might actually be able to work on improving our society. I"m not holding my breath. (Source: http://stupac2.blogspot.com.au...)

I Composer the successful Cult buster work as a Volunteer in the Health system & have done so for for a very long time overall & as a Carer also & religious Cults & Or the belief in a Supernatural divine being, is often the pitiful Sanctuary for the mentally challenged, young & old!
GarretKadeDupre
Posts: 2,023
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2013 4:03:56 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
In one of John Stossel's books, he says that religious people are generally more happy than non-religious people. Or maybe people who believed in God.
Proof that people witnessed living dinosaurs:
http://www.debate.org...
Df0512
Posts: 966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2013 4:31:12 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/28/2013 8:25:34 AM, Nela55 wrote:
Hello, I wanted to ask few questions,sorry for my bad English,I hope you will understand what I meant.
I hope to get answers from religious people.
I read comments in one fourm from many people that prayed for many,many years but they could never feel happines. I don't mean on people who are asking God for the things,I'm talking about people who suffer from depression or anxiety and who only wanted to feel peace again within themselfs. They have said more they prayed,it get only worse? How can be that? They were praying for many years,with all their hearts but nothing changed...

I also have depression from time to time, I believe in God, but I'm afraid to pray because of what I have read, they said it only gets worse? I think it's horrific truth.,because noone can explain why prayer don't help people?

I also have noticed how people who don't pray or believe in God too much or disscus religion, are more happy in their lives. Why is that so? Example: there are poeple who pray all their lifes, but they have bad luck ,they lost many familly members in various accidents for example, they became depressed ,and otherwise you have people who don't pray,don't believe in God and never suffer horrible faith ?
It seems like something is very wrong with religion when people are more happier without prayng or thinking about it. In Scandinavia people are more happier and relaxed, and they are mostly athiets. Ok, they have better standard but they don't believe and they are still happy within themselfs?

I want to believe in God, but I'm so confused. :-( I hope God will forgive me for what I'm talking, but I'm really confused.

Which is why I give props to all my christains friends and family. It's the hardest way to live. If you are doing it right that is.