Total Posts:20|Showing Posts:1-20
Jump to topic:

Instead Of Divided Religions, Why Not Have 1?

pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 10:47:14 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I'm not saying to denounce a religion. I'm not proposing anyone do anything that would make them feel like they were denouncing their religion. If it seems immoral or blasphemous, don't do it.
The last thing anyone should want to do is make another "new" religion is creeping up.

My idea is this. If someone asks you your religion tell them your a theist. Don't tell them which religion you practice unless they ask.
Instead tell them the truth if they ask. A theist is someone who believes in God and has faith in a theory about how he exists.
There should be many questions to answer after that.
If you believe you have the answers and are ready for scrutiny, you can answer many questions without saying which faith you belong to. In return you'd have given someone a path to follow without hindering any truth nor making them feel persuaded into a "label" they didn't ask for.
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 11:27:39 PM
At 8/28/2013 11:23:58 PM, Disquisition wrote:
What ,so you want to make everyone freemasons?
Whats wrong with the idea? Aside from relating it to freemasons.
Disquisition
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 11:38:54 PM
At 8/28/2013 10:47:14 PM, pozessed wrote:
I'm not saying to denounce a religion. I'm not proposing anyone do anything that would make them feel like they were denouncing their religion. If it seems immoral or blasphemous, don't do it.
The last thing anyone should want to do is make another "new" religion is creeping up.

My idea is this. If someone asks you your religion tell them your a theist. Don't tell them which religion you practice unless they ask.
Instead tell them the truth if they ask. A theist is someone who believes in God and has faith in a theory about how he exists.

What about the religions that promote their followers to evangelize. E.g., Jehovah Witnesses in particular. Will you tell then to neglect what their doctrines teach.

If you believe you have the answers and are ready for scrutiny, you can answer many questions without saying which faith you belong to. In return you'd have given someone a path to follow without hindering any truth nor making them feel persuaded into a "label" they didn't ask for.

That's entirely to vague, I'd rather want to know clearly what I'm being persuaded to follow after inquiry. Also, most religions identify with some type of moral objectivity that will inevitably lead to different labels.
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 12:08:48 AM
At 8/28/2013 11:38:54 PM, Disquisition wrote:

What about the religions that promote their followers to evangelize. E.g., Jehovah Witnesses in particular. Will you tell then to neglect what their doctrines teach.

As I said, its up to them.

That's entirely to vague, I'd rather want to know clearly what I'm being persuaded to follow after inquiry.

That's fair, but I don't think everyone would think that way. I'm just curious to hear peoples opinion on this random thought.

Also, most religions identify with some type of moral objectivity that will inevitably lead to different labels.

I am making the assumption some people turn a deaf ear once they expect to hear something they don't like. Therefore they would be destroying the integrity of potentially important insights into their own faith. If they don't know which religion was just preached to them and they feel it morally compelled them, the idea would have served its purpose.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 2:38:35 AM

I hereby announce my candidacy for the position of God Of ALL Religions, I promise to treat all equally. Those who deposit a little more into my campaign fund account will of course be a little more equal. Pm me and I will supply the bank account details for your donation. Thank you and may I bless you.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 4:00:44 AM

Cause an important part in some religions is to get converts to their SPECIFIC claims. "God exists" doesn't get you to anything.........other than God exists.

You can't get from God exists to even if he cares whether you live or die. After God exists comes a whole heaps of assertions.......

1) He did this
2) He did that
3) He likes this
4) He hates that
5) Something something human sacrifice
6) Hell for those who don't believe as we do, Heave for those that do
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 4:12:12 AM
At 8/29/2013 4:00:44 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

Cause an important part in some religions is to get converts to their SPECIFIC claims. "God exists" doesn't get you to anything.........other than God exists.

You can't get from God exists to even if he cares whether you live or die. After God exists comes a whole heaps of assertions.......

1) He did this
2) He did that
3) He likes this
4) He hates that

I understand it's a typo, but I love it. Thanks.
Heave for those that do
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 4:21:04 AM
bulproof so against just the idea of God that any sort of conceivable unity under such an idea is wrong regardless of the morality of it. What if there was one religion, the religion of trying to find God in those and everything around you? I mean, it'd essentially be the same thing as most governments, only very plausibly more moral.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 4:30:24 AM
You know the worlds not all bad, bulproof. Most of the bad is actually a product of fear. You should maybe pull your head out of your arse - just sayin'.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 5:19:08 AM
At 8/29/2013 4:30:24 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
You know the worlds not all bad, bulproof. Most of the bad is actually a product of fear. You should maybe pull your head out of your arse - just sayin'.
I'm sorry for the troll lacking a sense of humour. But if you elect me god I promise to give you one or maybe you'll die trying.
Get over yourself 99.9% of this stuff is hilarious, I'm very sorry for you that you can't understand that.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 5:27:26 AM
bulproof, I very much understand where you're coming from, laughing at every notion of religion as a scam, and heaven to boot. Why not build where you'd tear down? Oh, because you're just a maniacal baby.
justin.graves
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 7:23:14 AM

Revelation 17 uses a metaphor (which is clearer in the original Greek)

"One of the seven angels who had the seven bowls came and said to me, "Come, I will show you the punishment of the great prostitute, who sits by many waters. 2 With her the kings of the earth committed adultery, and the inhabitants of the earth were intoxicated with the wine of her adulteries.""

The prostitute in this case is a pleasure in which all the rulers of the earth will partake. Using context and study of the language, it becomes clear that John was writing about a One World Religion. In which no one is judged and all are accepted.

This then would alienate many Bible believers from your idea.
-Justin K. Graves, Demon Hunter
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 7:27:56 AM
At 8/29/2013 5:27:26 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
bulproof, I very much understand where you're coming from, laughing at every notion of religion as a scam, and heaven to boot. Why not build where you'd tear down? Oh, because you're just a maniacal baby.
Keep it up and I'll throw my rattle at you.........this place really needs smileys.
btw have a look at the jehovian threads. They don't like their past mistakes and lies being brought up either.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 8:01:43 AM
At 8/29/2013 7:27:56 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 8/29/2013 5:27:26 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Keep it up and I'll throw my rattle at you.........this place really needs smileys.
btw have a look at the jehovian threads. They don't like their past mistakes and lies being brought up either.

http://www.debate.org...
Meet my past self. Of course I was just on an experiential campaign, though. If I can rise above maniacality you can too. I mean, I was pretty damn good at it.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 8:04:59 AM
You don't pander half as well to the deluded as I did. And all the while nobody had a clue that I thought they were all nuts.
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 8:36:37 AM
At 8/29/2013 7:23:14 AM, justin.graves wrote:

Revelation 17 uses a metaphor (which is clearer in the original Greek)

"One of the seven angels who had the seven bowls came and said to me, "Come, I will show you the punishment of the great prostitute, who sits by many waters. 2 With her the kings of the earth committed adultery, and the inhabitants of the earth were intoxicated with the wine of her adulteries.""

The prostitute in this case is a pleasure in which all the rulers of the earth will partake. Using context and study of the language, it becomes clear that John was writing about a One World Religion. In which no one is judged and all are accepted.

This then would alienate many Bible believers from your idea.

My idea isn't really promoting a religion though. It's just promoting the idea that we all have our own interpretation of God(s) without stating our religious title before a conversation is ensued.
I don't see how my idea to start conversations could really be considered a "religion" more so than just a practical topic starter.
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 8:45:26 AM

1) He did this
2) He did that
3) He likes this
4) He hates that

An assertion about God is nothing more than a personal belief in a theory, is it not? Why not start a conversation about God with a context that everyone relates to?

Wouldn't it be better to answer another persons questions using theoretical experience instead of trying to persuade them by preaching testimony?
Isn't the purpose of conversion supposed to be to get a person closer to God and not religion? If an atheist is converted into being an agnostic, wouldn't it be safe to assume God will direct them to a religion God condones (if he condones any at all)?
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 10:17:12 PM
At 8/29/2013 8:45:26 AM, pozessed wrote:

1) He did this
2) He did that
3) He likes this
4) He hates that

An assertion about God is nothing more than a personal belief in a theory, is it not? Why not start a conversation about God with a context that everyone relates to?

Wouldn't it be better to answer another persons questions using theoretical experience instead of trying to persuade them by preaching testimony?

Isn't the purpose of conversion supposed to be to get a person closer to God and not religion?

If an atheist is converted into being an agnostic, wouldn't it be safe to assume God will direct them to a religion God condones (if he condones any at all)?

Absolutely not. That's not a safe assumption, it's wishful thinking.

I think you are kidding your self here a bit. You can throw in all the terms about a "theory about God" or what ever, but at some point a person is going to make a claim that goes beyond that "God exists". God wants YOU too......XYZ.

The funny thing is, God has very little to say on the matter. It's always some guy claiming they have had the revelation or some other guy had the revelation and we should or just go along with it. Oh and just in case their is any doubt, just repeat this ad nausem..........ITS THE WORD OF GOD !!!
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12