Jump to topic:

Newsflash to religicrites.

Sitara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2013 5:37:20 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Your stupid God will not save you. God does not care about you. Get a life and ditch the imaginary friends.
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2013 5:40:41 PM
THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER IS NOT IMAGINARY!!! We pastafarians have never done anything to you, lumping us in with all other religions is hurtful and spiteful.

May your future plates of spaghetti be uncooked and your sauce bland!!!
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
LevelWithMe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2013 9:10:44 PM
At 9/5/2013 6:59:27 PM, Atrag wrote:
Sitara's 'about me' states: "I am a Christian".

Erm... Weird.
Apparently you didn't catch the more readily accessable signature.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2013 10:10:12 PM
At 9/5/2013 5:37:20 PM, Sitara wrote:
Your stupid God will not save you. God does not care about you. Get a life and ditch the imaginary friends.

I get tired of seeing bullsh!t in the forums. I really do.
Tsar of DDO
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2013 10:15:45 PM
At 9/5/2013 10:10:12 PM, YYW wrote:

I thought you used the term "bullsh!t" to describe arguments that are so bad that even the speaker is silently aware that they're illegitimate - now I think you use it for whatever you disagree with strongly enough. With this you've truly undermined the force of this accusation - at least as it is levied by yourself.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2013 10:31:24 PM
At 9/5/2013 10:15:45 PM, 000ike wrote:

I thought you used the term "bullsh!t" to describe arguments that are so bad that even the speaker is silently aware that they're illegitimate -

Correct.

now I think you use it for whatever you disagree with strongly enough. With this you've truly undermined the force of this accusation - at least as it is levied by yourself.

Ike, I'm not really surprised you've come to that conclusion. It's ok that you have, though. I don't really see any point in explaining to you why you're wrong, though. After all, you've made up your mind, right?
Tsar of DDO
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2013 10:36:35 PM
At 9/5/2013 10:31:24 PM, YYW wrote:

I thought you used the term "bullsh!t" to describe arguments that are so bad that even the speaker is silently aware that they're illegitimate -

Correct.

now I think you use it for whatever you disagree with strongly enough. With this you've truly undermined the force of this accusation - at least as it is levied by yourself.

Ike, I'm not really surprised you've come to that conclusion. It's ok that you have, though. I don't really see any point in explaining to you why you're wrong, though. After all, you've made up your mind, right?

what's funny is that you made up your mind first - and that's how it usually is. You've come to a conclusion, now your job isn't to defend it. Your job is to teach, inform, explain to the unenlightened how right you are.

Of course I'm open to arguments that make sense and can be communicated sensibly. I'm genuinely curious why it is you think the comment above - a perfectly legitimate opinion - is bullsh!t.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2013 10:45:04 PM
At 9/5/2013 10:36:35 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 9/5/2013 10:31:24 PM, YYW wrote:

Correct.

what's funny is that you made up your mind first - and that's how it usually is. You've come to a conclusion, now your job isn't to defend it. Your job is to teach, inform, explain to the unenlightened how right you are.

So, you do realize that I did teach for a while, right? lol

Ike, I have a magisterial tone. I know it bothers you, which is why, I think, that you take issue with virtually everything I say -whether it's with the substance of what I said, how I said it, or the fact that even thought the point is valid that I am saying it.

I used to think that I just got "special treatment" to that end, but I know now that more or less that that's how you are with most people.

Recognize that winning your good favor isn't what I'm out to do here. Recognize further that my tone isn't something that really concerns me -no matter how pretentious it comes across... even if that means that you are going to try to dispute virtually everything I say. It just doesn't bother me, and even if it did, I'm not going to change how I write. That's just the beginning and end of it.

Of course I'm open to arguments that make sense and can be communicated sensibly. I'm genuinely curious why it is you think the comment above - a perfectly legitimate opinion - is bullsh!t.

The comment served no purpose, was poorly articulated and was less intended to communicate a coherent perspective than it was to offend Christians. It was so bad that even the speaker should have been aware that even if this was a perspective s/he wanted to advocate for, there was a better way to do it.

But here's the other thing: Bullsh!t is a broad term, and saying what is or isn't bullsh!t can be a subjective call. When I'm dismissing an opinion, I'm saying that the opinion is stupid. You're free to agree or disagree with that, as you are here, and even have a dialogue if I am willing to participate, about a call that I made. That's fine too, but that doesn't mean that I'm not going to say that some bullsh!t post is bullsh!t because you don't think it's bullsh!t.

You follow?
Tsar of DDO
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2013 11:00:32 PM
At 9/5/2013 10:45:04 PM, YYW wrote:

Ike, I have a magisterial tone. I know it bothers you, which is why, I think, that you take issue with virtually everything I say -whether it's with the substance of what I said, how I said it, or the fact that even thought the point is valid that I am saying it.

I used to think that I just got "special treatment" to that end, but I know now that more or less that that's how you are with most people.

Recognize that winning your good favor isn't what I'm out to do here. Recognize further that my tone isn't something that really concerns me -no matter how pretentious it comes across... even if that means that you are going to try to dispute virtually everything I say. It just doesn't bother me, and even if it did, I'm not going to change how I write. That's just the beginning and end of it.

Your tone is a part of it, but that's not all, nor is it the most important offense. The worst offense that really bothers me is the ridiculous certitude with which you present your ideas that leaves no room for you to take anyone's objection seriously. I respect your scholarship but do recognize that this is not your classroom. I find it inappropriate that you should join a debating website that's open for anyone of any age and background to freely discuss his or her ideas only for you to impose a sense of superiority by virtue of your private credentials. This isn't the place to do that.

To your point as to why the original comment is BS... you've explained a breach in decorum on his/her part for speaking in a manner that isn't conducive to constructive conversation, but haven't really proved the opinion illegitimate - so as to be considered BS. Nothing that user said would foster anything useful, yes. But was what he said a nonsensical opinion? That's what you're supposed to be answering.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2013 11:21:20 PM
At 9/5/2013 11:00:32 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 9/5/2013 10:45:04 PM, YYW wrote:

Your tone is a part of it, but that's not all, nor is it the most important offense. The worst offense that really bothers me is the ridiculous certitude with which you present your ideas that leaves no room for you to take anyone's objection seriously.

So, on the one hand you're saying that it is my tone, but on the other hand, it's more than my tone, and what's more than my tone, is my tone -because I can't think of anything else other than tone to take from "ridiculous certitude with which" I speak. I'm not really sure what you're saying here, and I don't think you do either.

But, in any case, that's not something that I'm concerned by. Also, I'm just profoundly amused that you call my tone, and my tone which is more than my tone, (if those two are even separate things), "offenses." That's novel.

I respect your scholarship but do recognize that this is not your classroom. I find it inappropriate that you should join a debating website that's open for anyone of any age and background to freely discuss his or her ideas only for you to impose a sense of superiority by virtue of your private credentials. This isn't the place to do that.

Look, what I know is evident in both what and how I post, and my educational background isn't something I can abandon when I log on. I think what you're taking issue with is the fact that there exists a fundamental inequality between me and most others. You're right, there does. Firstly, my IQ is pretty high. Secondly, I'm pretty well educated -moreso than most. Thirdly, that which I am educated about is generally what I talk about on DDO. So, yes, there is a real distinction between me and you average user. Behold: three really significant inequalities. If that which is unequal is unfair, and that which is unfair inappropriate, then I can see how you'd come to that conclusion.

Here's what I never do: say that I have letters that come after my name and that therefore what I say is more valid than what others say. It's rather that it's harder to rebut me, because of how I argue. My logic is tight, even if it is abstract. And I also don't talk about things unless I know about them -which really pisses off a lot of people when I'm right and they're not. What I said was in response to your observation that I go into "teach" mode; which, yes, I do, and there are reasons for that, which I noted.

But, it's an error to think that I post just to get an ego boost. Recognize that there is essentially no impact that DDO has on my ego. I'm just interested in the subject matter, hence, why I pursued it academically, and why I like to talk about it on DDO. Here's something to consider, though: one day, you might get a degree in something, which you'll know considerably more about then I ever will, and then you'll be able to speak with noteworthy expertise on that, because you'll know a lot about it. Make sense?

To your point as to why the original comment is BS... you've explained a breach in decorum on his/her part for speaking in a manner that isn't conducive to constructive conversation, but haven't really proved the opinion illegitimate - so as to be considered BS. Nothing that user said would foster anything useful, yes. But was what he said a nonsensical opinion? That's what you're supposed to be answering.

I think there is some error in understanding on your part about what I mean when I say BS, but we've already established that above.
Tsar of DDO
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2013 11:39:40 PM
At 9/5/2013 11:21:20 PM, YYW wrote:
Your certitude isn't in your tone but in your dismissal - that's the distinction. And your case would be more valid if the matters in which you are so condescending were actually confined to subjects requiring a deep knowledge base. But no, that isn't the case. You must be right about what cursory post is BS. You must be right about what was justified action and what wasn't. What degree is it that justifies all of that? The things in which you confidently declare "I am right, and I shall you teach you why" are not in the level that justify it. This is consistently the case.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2013 11:56:20 PM
"Thirdly, that which I am educated about is generally what I talk about on DDO."

In what field are you educated?

By the way, I never noticed any condescending attitude.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Sitara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2013 11:48:05 AM

Erm... Weird.

I was a Christian, Papi. I am taking a break from religion. Certain types of people in my life killed my faith. ;)
Sitara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2013 11:48:25 AM
At 9/5/2013 5:40:41 PM, Buddamoose wrote:
THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER IS NOT IMAGINARY!!! We pastafarians have never done anything to you, lumping us in with all other religions is hurtful and spiteful.

Ramen. ;)
Sitara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2013 11:49:04 AM
At 9/5/2013 10:45:09 PM, sdavio wrote:
Sitara are you having some sort of religious / existential crisis?

Yes. I thank you for your kindness.
Sitara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2013 11:49:46 AM
At 9/5/2013 9:55:27 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
You guys realize this person is a troll with an avatar of a big black cock, right?

I am not a troll and that is a sitar, not a penis.
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2013 11:50:53 AM
At 9/6/2013 11:48:25 AM, Sitara wrote:
At 9/5/2013 5:40:41 PM, Buddamoose wrote:

Ramen. ;)

Ramen to you as well ;)
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Sitara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2013 11:52:03 AM
At 9/6/2013 11:51:09 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Yeah - sure you're not.

You have no proof for your unfounded accusations.
Sitara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2013 11:56:50 AM
At 9/6/2013 11:52:55 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Your avatar is a big black cock and furthermore you're dumb.

I am looking for my GAF...,hold on, this might take a while. Oh wait, my GAF died. Take two freakitall and call me in the morning. I like your style, kid. Muah! ;)
Sitara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2013 11:57:51 AM
At 9/6/2013 11:55:24 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
I bet you're here to f*ck with WSA's head, too.

I am here to meet new people and freely exhchange ideas. I would like to debate you on something.
Atrag
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2013 1:09:09 PM
At 9/6/2013 11:48:05 AM, Sitara wrote:

Erm... Weird.

I was a Christian, Papi. I am taking a break from religion. Certain types of people in my life killed my faith. ;)

Taking a break? That means you're going to insult God, reject Jes"s but all this with the intention of going back at a later date? That's insane.
Sitara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2013 2:47:33 PM
At 9/6/2013 1:09:09 PM, Atrag wrote:
At 9/6/2013 11:48:05 AM, Sitara wrote:

Erm... Weird.

Taking a break? That means you're going to insult God, reject Jes"s but all this with the intention of going back at a later date? That's insane.

My spiritual and religious beliefs are none of your business. Back off.
Nahagliiv
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2013 3:21:08 PM
At 9/5/2013 9:55:27 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
You guys realize this person is a troll with an avatar of a big black cock, right?

Ah good you guys are finally realizing it.