Jump to topic:

Don't worship your kids

vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2013 6:22:26 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I came across this revolting blog today from a Christian homeschooling blog.

Thou shalt have no other gods before me. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image (Exodus 20:3-4a).

Somewhere in my homeschooling experience, my children became the focus of not only my day, but also my entire life. I found myself thinking of their needs constantly and became self-absorbed in making their lives happy and successful. Although a measure of this devotion and attention was appropriate, there was a surplus of affection that was being misdirected. My children had become my idols, whom I worshiped with all my energy and time.

Lovingly, God set a course of events to correct me of my mistake. The lesson culminated when I read the story of Abraham and Isaac in Genesis 22. Abrahams willingness to sacrifice his son on an altar in worship to the Lord convicted me. I knew I loved my four children too much to let them go. The thought of losing them at a young age was more than I could bear. Somehow, I knew God was asking me to lay them, my greatest treasures, at His feet. Living for the Lord first and serving my family second was the correct order of priorities.

Have your children become your idols? You may not think so, but evaluate your thought life, your daily schedule, and your heart. Who is the object of your worship and devotion Jesus or your family? Dont rob God of the devotion due to Him. Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God (Exodus 20:5a).

Heavenly Father, forgive me for putting my children before You. All I have is from You, including my family. Today, Im making You the first priority in my life. In Jesus name, Amen.

(http://www.aophomeschooling.com...)

This contemptible garbage got me thinking about the seemingly universal human need to worship. In every human society it seems, people are driven to worship something - and it's always something that doesn't exist. But is it possible for people to worship things that actually exist and that actual matter. If societies stopped worshipping imaginary objects, would those societies consequently begin directing that devotional energy to their family, friends and fellow animals?
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2013 6:30:37 PM
I don't really see worship as being natural. I think God worship comes from an irrational fear. Taking care of your kids and your family is not worship.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2013 10:20:45 PM
but It is true that people tend to look for leaders so that they have less responsibility themselves. Gods are merely an extension of that indolence.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2013 10:35:44 PM
Kind of what Ike said. "Worship," to me is a word that carries FAR too much of a zealous connotation. Of course, I think it's only appropriate for a parent to have unconditional love for his/her children. But storgic love is definitely not the same as worship. Worship involves an extreme polarization of status levels: the worshipee being almost infinitely higher up than the worshiper.

As such, I think that maybe the passion of worship might be redirected to secular things (eg, one's children), but I think it would be just as detrimental for us to worship material things, if not even more detrimental than worshiping nonmaterial things.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2013 7:44:50 PM
At 9/6/2013 6:22:26 PM, vbaculum wrote:

Thou shalt have no other gods before me. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image (Exodus 20:3-4a).

Somewhere in my homeschooling experience, my children became the focus of not only my day, but also my entire life. I found myself thinking of their needs constantly and became self-absorbed in making their lives happy and successful. Although a measure of this devotion and attention was appropriate, there was a surplus of affection that was being misdirected. My children had become my idols, whom I worshiped with all my energy and time.

Lovingly, God set a course of events to correct me of my mistake. The lesson culminated when I read the story of Abraham and Isaac in Genesis 22. Abrahams willingness to sacrifice his son on an altar in worship to the Lord convicted me. I knew I loved my four children too much to let them go. The thought of losing them at a young age was more than I could bear. Somehow, I knew God was asking me to lay them, my greatest treasures, at His feet. Living for the Lord first and serving my family second was the correct order of priorities.

Have your children become your idols? You may not think so, but evaluate your thought life, your daily schedule, and your heart. Who is the object of your worship and devotion Jesus or your family? Dont rob God of the devotion due to Him. Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God (Exodus 20:5a).

Heavenly Father, forgive me for putting my children before You. All I have is from You, including my family. Today, Im making You the first priority in my life. In Jesus name, Amen.

This contemptible garbage got me thinking about the seemingly universal human need to worship. In every human society it seems, people are driven to worship something - and it's always something that doesn't exist. But is it possible for people to worship things that actually exist and that actual matter. If societies stopped worshipping imaginary objects, would those societies consequently begin directing that devotional energy to their family, friends and fellow animals?

Worship actually means "to live". Man is either living according to man's rules of this world or obeying the commandments of God, which only the saints and prophets could do during this first age. The invisible Kingdom of God ( Christ ) where all the commandments of God came from was hidden from man so man had no choice but to live according to man's rules of this world. So in essence, man is worshiping this world and the things of this world. All God's saints live according to His commandments after He removes the veil ( Old Covenant ) that made us worship the world.

Once God removes the "veil" that blocked us from His hidden knowledge, we saints learn who we are and learn how we used to worship the world but now we worship our Creator because we know HIm and speak for Him.
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2013 8:34:13 PM
The concept of an all-loving God is popular for two reasons: It makes death less scary, like life never ends, and it gives the illusion that life has meaning. Obviously, both of these things aren't true, but people would rather be wrong and comfortable than enlightened.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
Sitara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2013 5:20:08 AM

I agree with that mother. I do not want my family to put me first. I told my mother to choose God over me if she had to.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2013 5:36:47 AM

I can see why you take that story that way, but like so many things it is all in the way you look at it.

Christ went so far as to say we had to hate our families, but as usual he didn't mean it literally, simply in contrast to he way we feel about him, and his father especially. Hyperbole was often the name of the game in Jesus teachings.

As he told the Pharisee who questioned him about it, the two most important things to remember are:

You must love Jehovah your God with your whole heat, your whole soul and your whole mind. (quoting from Deuteronomy 6:5)

You must love your fellow man as yourself. (Quoting from Leviticus 19:18)

Obey those two and you have obeyed the whole of the law in principle.
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2013 5:40:24 PM
At 9/8/2013 5:36:47 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

I can see why you take that story that way, but like so many things it is all in the way you look at it.

Christ went so far as to say we had to hate our families, but as usual he didn't mean it literally, simply in contrast to he way we feel about him, and his father especially. Hyperbole was often the name of the game in Jesus teachings.

As he told the Pharisee who questioned him about it, the two most important things to remember are:

You must love Jehovah your God with your whole heat, your whole soul and your whole mind. (quoting from Deuteronomy 6:5)

You must love your fellow man as yourself. (Quoting from Leviticus 19:18)

Obey those two and you have obeyed the whole of the law in principle.

I actually don't think that the Semitic tribes who wrote those books had any privileged access to any information which was denied to everyone else. The fact that they were able to write down their bizarre ideas and transmit them through the Roman Empire into modernity seems to me irrelevant to the veracity of their claims. Sorry if that wasn't clear in my OP.

Anyway, to the extent that people take these injunctions seriously, they must translate to a detraction of the love, support, council, guidance, attention, and all the other things that a parent is morally obligated to render to their children. This is an immoral idea that could only result in negative consequence for children and for society.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2013 6:06:56 PM
it is a load of garbage because worship like many other words has had its definition twisted greatly. The definition of worship (bornofgod's loses a million to one) is "the feeling or expression of reverence and adoration for a deity." the last time i checked, parents don't revere, they might adore, there children.

The definition of reverence is "deep respect for someone or something," and that is far from true about the relation between parents and there kids. So to care for ones kids greatly isn't wrong, condemning them with the wrong idea in mind is.
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.