Jump to topic:

What have I been doing my whole life?

Shiroifang
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2013 8:29:32 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Sitting in church this past Sunday, I was hit with a thought. Granted I was marginally hungover and counting down the seconds until I was free, but I was coherent enough to think. Or so I presumed. My world shaking thought 'What the f*ck am I doing here'? I feel a bit moronic explaining this. What is a drunken woman in a Nightwing t-shirt doing sitting in a church pew to begin with? Especially one who has to be drug into the building. I grew up in church. It's what i'm used to, it's what i've always done. I never really questioned my faith. Believe in God, accept Jesus as your personal savior, you are only good if you are born again. Yeah. Check. Got it. Now what? But this last Sunday, whether it was me waking up or the gin working out of my system, I felt like i'd been smacked wide awake. Do I really believe what i'm hearing coming out of the preachers mouth? Is this book really want I want my life to be based on? No. I went through the motions, prayed and prayed but nothing ever happened. I tried so hard but I always failed at 'feeling the presence of God'. I felt like a complete waste. I'd never bothered to question but i'd never really felt the need. And all it took was one hangover and sermon about the evils of homosexuals and bad television. I guess what i'm trying to say is, i've always had doubt about gods existence. But what i've finally given up on is the church, the sermons that make me cringe. What i'm asking is why i'm so angry at myself for going along with this for so long, going to a young earth-gay hating-woman hating- church when i'm a liberal woman because I thought it's just what I was supposed to do? I'm sorry. I can't concentrate with a normal thought pattern and I probably sound like a drunk, I'm not, I swear.
Orangatang
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2013 9:25:15 PM
At 9/9/2013 8:29:32 PM, Shiroifang wrote:
Sitting in church this past Sunday, I was hit with a thought. Granted I was marginally hungover and counting down the seconds until I was free, but I was coherent enough to think. Or so I presumed. My world shaking thought 'What the f*ck am I doing here'? I feel a bit moronic explaining this. What is a drunken woman in a Nightwing t-shirt doing sitting in a church pew to begin with? Especially one who has to be drug into the building. I grew up in church. It's what i'm used to, it's what i've always done. I never really questioned my faith. Believe in God, accept Jesus as your personal savior, you are only good if you are born again. Yeah. Check. Got it. Now what? But this last Sunday, whether it was me waking up or the gin working out of my system, I felt like i'd been smacked wide awake. Do I really believe what i'm hearing coming out of the preachers mouth? Is this book really want I want my life to be based on? No. I went through the motions, prayed and prayed but nothing ever happened. I tried so hard but I always failed at 'feeling the presence of God'. I felt like a complete waste. I'd never bothered to question but i'd never really felt the need. And all it took was one hangover and sermon about the evils of homosexuals and bad television. I guess what i'm trying to say is, i've always had doubt about gods existence. But what i've finally given up on is the church, the sermons that make me cringe. What i'm asking is why i'm so angry at myself for going along with this for so long, going to a young earth-gay hating-woman hating- church when i'm a liberal woman because I thought it's just what I was supposed to do? I'm sorry. I can't concentrate with a normal thought pattern and I probably sound like a drunk, I'm not, I swear.

Great story, I have always had much skepticism myself growing up going to a synagogue and Hebrew school. The many stories I was told I just could not believe. I eventually found the answers I have been looking for through watching and reading religious debates between theists and atheists. Every time the atheist had the better answers, and the more consistent worldview. Once I adopted that worldview I feel as though happiness and knowledge in my life increased exponentially. Of course we are not the same but I would recommend you watch debates or interviews with Christopher Hitchens (on youtube), he is a legend and a genius with an amazing talent for speech. Good luck with whatever you search for but I just want to assure you that the answers you seek are out there. I can help also try to help with any other questions you might have.
Read and Vote Please! http://www.debate.org...
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2013 11:25:17 PM

As I read your story I was wondering how on earth you could show up in God's house half drunk, yet still be surprised that God doesn't seem to be taking you seriously. Then you said you're a liberal...'nuff said.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2013 3:20:43 AM
At 9/9/2013 11:25:17 PM, medic0506 wrote:

As I read your story I was wondering how on earth you could show up in God's house half drunk, yet still be surprised that God doesn't seem to be taking you seriously. Then you said you're a liberal...'nuff said.
Them damn libs they're just copying that hippie jesus. Should all be shot or maybe crucified, it fixed that jesus hippie. LOL...........hahahahahahahahahahahaha
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2013 11:40:37 AM

God has finally given you the desire to leave the false religion of Christianity. Have a good time being a disobedient child freed from religion instead of enslaved by other disobedient children who use people for their own selfish purpose to make a living and control them.
Shiroifang
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2013 10:29:24 PM
At 9/9/2013 11:25:17 PM, medic0506 wrote:

My political beliefs and uncharacteristic over indulgence of gin has effected my religious troubles since I was a child? Right.
Shiroifang
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2013 10:33:03 PM
At 9/9/2013 9:25:15 PM, Orangatang wrote:

Great story, I have always had much skepticism myself growing up going to a synagogue and Hebrew school. The many stories I was told I just could not believe. I eventually found the answers I have been looking for through watching and reading religious debates between theists and atheists. Every time the atheist had the better answers, and the more consistent worldview. Once I adopted that worldview I feel as though happiness and knowledge in my life increased exponentially. Of course we are not the same but I would recommend you watch debates or interviews with Christopher Hitchens (on youtube), he is a legend and a genius with an amazing talent for speech. Good luck with whatever you search for but I just want to assure you that the answers you seek are out there. I can help also try to help with any other questions you might have.

Thank you. I've only recently discovered Christopher Hitchens, I haven't sat down and watched any debates yet. (Have any in particular you'd recommend if it wouldn't be any trouble?)
Orangatang
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2013 5:14:52 PM
At 9/10/2013 10:33:03 PM, Shiroifang wrote:

Thank you. I've only recently discovered Christopher Hitchens, I haven't sat down and watched any debates yet. (Have any in particular you'd recommend if it wouldn't be any trouble?)

There is one with Al Sharpton, two with Frank Turek, and a few with Dinesh D'Souza. Those are some recommendations, also the debate he has with his brother is pretty good. I do not have a computer now if I did I would link a whole bunch of great vids for you I will do that later when I can.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2013 6:36:01 PM
"There is one with Al Sharpton"

You've got to be kidding. Dogknox could debate Al Sharpton and win.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Polaris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2013 6:47:26 PM
At 9/11/2013 6:36:01 PM, annanicole wrote:

Perhaps Hitchens was reaching for the low-hanging fruit with that debate.
Polaris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2013 6:52:07 PM

Us non-religious folk will be feasting on the blood of the innocent every Wednesday and Thursday night. Will you be joining us?
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2013 7:41:34 PM
I like Gin too
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Disquisition
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2013 10:13:31 PM
Have considered asking for help from a Christian counselor or a someone who you know is spiritually mature. You shouldn't abandon God (assuming your speaking of the Judeo-Christian God) just because you've come to a hard place in your faith. Don't give up because there truly isn't much time left.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2013 1:09:48 AM

The Zen Buddhists put a lot of stock in "sudden enlightenment", that there are some things you have to get intuitively before you can get them (if ever) intellectually. I, personally, call such unquestioned thought patterns "visceral" knowledge...sometimes you need to be shaken out of what you "know in your gut". Doesn't always mean what you know in your gut is necessarily wrong, just means it was something you didn't use your head about.

Use your head. Don't dwell on whether the time you spend before was a "waste", because you'll just get bitter, and replace one "visceral" concept with another, more bitter one; think of it, as what got you where you are....and dwell, rather, of where you want to go. I wouldn't go as far as to say "the unexamined life is not worth living", but at the same time I think there's a great deal of value in examination.

Good luck!
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
anomalous
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2013 7:01:31 AM

http://natureforkids.net...
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2013 7:14:27 AM
What Church are you going to?

I can tell you that know true, good, Christian church would be gay hating or woman hating. Also, it kinds sounds like you have a bad Pastor. Don't let your entire faith be based off some things a flawed Pastor might preach.

Lastly, remember that the Bible is a theological book, and not one of History and Science. Faith is based off what Theological aspects of the Bible, and trust me, there are a lot.
Nolite Timere
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2013 10:04:24 AM

Let me be the first to greet you to your new found enlightenment. All religions profess they are based upon the objective reality of their God. However the true reality is that 90% of their actions, behaviors, and opinions are based upon the subjective whims of those in power. (I make that number up, but you know what I mean)

The good news is that you can find a church who's subjective whims better match your opinion if you so choose to continue to seek a relationship with God.
Orangatang
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2013 3:29:53 PM
At 9/11/2013 6:47:26 PM, Polaris wrote:

It's ridiculous because Sharpton is still a regular on the news who readily spews his political ideas. People really need to stop looking up to this guy.
Polaris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2013 3:45:33 PM
At 9/12/2013 3:29:53 PM, Orangatang wrote:

It's ridiculous because Sharpton is still a regular on the news who readily spews his political ideas. People really need to stop looking up to this guy.

It's a symptom of our current ailing news media amalgamation wherein those that make the most noise get the most attention. I've met grade-schoolers that have greater intellectual sophistication that many of these news commentators.
Polaris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2013 3:46:14 PM
At 9/12/2013 3:45:33 PM, Polaris wrote:
At 9/12/2013 3:29:53 PM, Orangatang wrote:

It's a symptom of our current ailing news media amalgamation wherein those that make the most noise get the most attention. I've met grade-schoolers that have greater intellectual sophistication than many of these news commentators.

Orangatang
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2013 3:53:42 PM

Here is a great youtube playlist I have made of some good videos I have come across regarding the atheistic worldview, there are many more but unfortunately I did not remember them all (the debates are at the end): http://www.youtube.com...
madilincrock
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2013 4:05:39 PM

You guys are just realising how much religion itself, mainly catholisim and all that originates from it is total bullcrap. just read and study life, and anything else that has a herioc and noble mrality to it and then you will realise how this informations seem more believeble then beliving in a false god. Like really, were is the god who saves when there is ww3 HAPPENING OVERSEAS
madilincrock
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2013 4:06:24 PM

EXPOSINGCHRISTIANITY,COM
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2013 4:14:02 PM
At 9/12/2013 4:05:39 PM, madilincrock wrote:

You guys are just realising how much religion itself, mainly catholisim and all that originates from it is total bullcrap. just read and study life, and anything else that has a herioc and noble mrality to it and then you will realise how this informations seem more believeble then beliving in a false god. Like really, were is the god who saves when there is ww3 HAPPENING OVERSEAS

ALL the religions of this world are false because our Creator designed them to keep His people from knowing Him, but only during this first age. Only God's servant in the flesh of the prophets and saint's knew who our Creator was. We saints are the only ones who obtained the invisible knowledge of God to know the past, present and future. We know that God saved all His people before any visible world existed.
Orangatang
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2013 4:14:43 PM

I did realized it about a year ago, I'm a very happy, more understanding, and more knowledgeable agnostic atheist right now. Religion is a horrible delusion and a very hard one to get rid of, but once it is done you become liberated and are less prone to a biased and inconsistent worldview.
Orangatang
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2013 4:21:18 PM
At 9/12/2013 4:14:02 PM, bornofgod wrote:

ALL the religions of this world are false because our Creator designed them to keep His people from knowing Him, but only during this first age. Only God's servant in the flesh of the prophets and saint's knew who our Creator was. We saints are the only ones who obtained the invisible knowledge of God to know the past, present and future. We know that God saved all His people before any visible world existed.

I'm getting real tired of your stupid bullsh*t thread ruining comments. I do not know why you haven't been banned yet but I assure you I will do my best to kick you out of DDO. Whoever agrees with me, go to BornofGods profile right now and report him, I have already seen some of his posts as threatening and violent, he is a truly deluded and lost person. He only contributes to DDO in a negative way ban this guy.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2013 4:39:35 PM
At 9/12/2013 4:21:18 PM, Orangatang wrote:

I'm getting real tired of your stupid bullsh*t thread ruining comments. I do not know why you haven't been banned yet but I assure you I will do my best to kick you out of DDO. Whoever agrees with me, go to BornofGods profile right now and report him, I have already seen some of his posts as threatening and violent, he is a truly deluded and lost person. He only contributes to DDO in a negative way ban this guy.

It's hard to argue against the Truth, isn't it my fearful child?
Orangatang
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2013 4:40:32 PM
At 9/12/2013 4:39:35 PM, bornofgod wrote:

Lol, go f*ck yourself.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2013 4:44:38 PM
At 9/12/2013 4:40:32 PM, Orangatang wrote:

Lol, go f*ck yourself.

Like I said, "It's hard to argue against the Truth".

The mirror is like the Truth. When you look into it, all you see is a lie reflected back at you.
Orangatang
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2013 4:47:38 PM
At 9/12/2013 4:44:38 PM, bornofgod wrote:
At 9/12/2013 4:40:32 PM, Orangatang wrote:

Lol, go f*ck yourself.

Like I said, "It's hard to argue against the Truth".

The mirror is like the Truth. When you look into it, all you see is a lie reflected back at you.

You wouldn't know the truth if it smacked you in the face and was shoved up your a$$.