Jump to topic:

Your thoughts on this quote?

Sitara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2013 10:54:11 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." - Gandhi
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2013 11:09:30 PM
At 9/10/2013 10:54:11 PM, Sitara wrote:
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." - Gandhi

Neither Gandhi or Christians understand what "Christ" means. They think it has something to do with the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.
Sitara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2013 11:12:58 PM
At 9/10/2013 10:59:37 PM, Shiroifang wrote:
Gandhi was saying that Christians need to act more like Christ. Good advice.

I agree.
Sitara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2013 11:13:41 PM
At 9/10/2013 11:09:30 PM, bornofgod wrote:

Neither Gandhi or Christians understand what "Christ" means. They think it has something to do with the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

Some would call me a Christian. I think Christ is about love and salvation.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2013 11:21:52 PM
At 9/10/2013 11:13:41 PM, Sitara wrote:

Sinners have a hidden "veil" called the Old Covenant that blocks them from the knowledge of God that us saints receive during this age. It's impossible for Christians to understand what "Christ" truly means.

"Christ" is the invisible knowledge of God, called the Word of God that all God's prophets and saints spoke from while in the flesh. That's because our created existence is all the knowledge of God where God's creation came from.

Christ is the "He" in this following scripture.

I Colossians 1:
15: He is the image of the invisible God, the first-born of all creation;
16: for in him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or authorities " all things were created through him and for him.
17: He is before all things, and in him all things hold together.
18: He is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning, the first-born from the dead, that in everything he might be pre-eminent.
19: For in him all the fulness of God was pleased to dwell,

We know Christ as energy today that vibrates in harmony. Lucifer and the beast is energy that vibrates in disharmony to God's creation and caused this world delusion we live in.
Naysayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2013 8:25:33 AM

I'd bet all my money Gandhi regrets paying more attention to Christians than Christ.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2013 9:09:43 AM

I'm not sure that is an exact quote, but it's near enough.

Ghandi, a very intelligent and insightful man, recognised that Christianity was, and is a very long way removed from the teachings of Christ, and in fact it has been since the end of the first century. Christ and the Apostles both foretold this happening, but it was left to the Apostles to state that it would happen with the death of the last of them.

To be fair however most of the Apostles work was, if you read their letters, working at combatting that Apostasy, so it was inevitable that it would take hold after they were no longer there to restrain it.

He also went on record as saying that "If the whole world were to live according to the principles embedded in the Sermon on the mount, there would be no need for Armies or Police Forces". Such is the true power of Christ's teachings, and that power is in action amongst Jehovah's Witnesses earth-wide.

No JW will ever go to war for whatever reason, because Christ commands us to love our enemy, and one cannot both love and kill him.

No JW will take part in any Governmental activities because Christ, and the APostles taught that they should be "No part of this world" which as both Christ and the Apostles confirmed is ruled by Satan.

Apart from that they give, and owe, their primary allegiance to God's kingdom through Jesus Christ, how could they support any other Kingdom or Government? They obey the laws of those Governments in every way which does not clash with God's law, but that is the extent of their loyalty of human Governments.

Jehovah's Witnesses are in fact the only organisation on this earth to not only "preach the Christ" but also to obey his commands as fully as humanly possible. They also worship the same God he did (John 20:17). It is simple for you to check that out for yourself.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2013 9:24:08 AM

Well, when you think of what he quoted when challenged to say which was the most important command in the law. He actually came up with two.

Matthew 22:34 After the Pharisees heard that he had put the Sadducees to silence, they came together in one group. 35 And one of them, versed in the Law,+asked, testing him: 36 "Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" 37 He said to him: ""You must love Jehovah your God with your whole heart and with your whole soul and with your whole mind." 38 This is the greatest and first commandment. 39 The second, like it, is this, "You must love your neighbor as yourself." 40 On these two commandments the whole Law hangs, and the Prophets."

Jesus was here quoting from;

Deuteronomy 6:5 "And you must love Jehovah your God with all your heart and all your soul and all your vital force."

Leviticus 19:18 ""You must not take vengeance nor have a grudge against the sons of your people; and you must love your fellow as yourself. I am Jehovah."

Interestingly Jesus also said that to keep those two commands was also to fulfil the whole of the Law and Prophets.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2013 9:25:36 AM
At 9/11/2013 8:25:33 AM, Naysayer wrote:

I'd bet all my money Gandhi regrets paying more attention to Christians than Christ.

I don't imagine he did or he would not have said what he did. However when he returns in the resurrection he will be delighted by what he finds there.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2013 9:27:05 AM

Some would call me a Christian.

It doesn't matter what others call us, it is what God and Christ think that counts.
Mysterious_Stranger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2013 10:33:56 AM

Very true. The concept of religion I can handle, perhaps I am even drawn to it. It is not the atheists who are damned it is certain believers.
Turn around, go back.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2013 10:51:12 AM
At 9/11/2013 10:33:56 AM, Mysterious_Stranger wrote:

Very true. The concept of religion I can handle, perhaps I am even drawn to it. It is not the atheists who are damned it is certain believers.

According to Christ the majority who claim belief are wrong.

Matthew 7:13, 14 "Go in through the narrow gate; because broad and spacious is the road leading off into destruction, and many are the ones going in through it; 14 whereas narrow is the gate and cramped the road leading off into life, and few are the ones finding it.

Luke 17:22 Then he said to the disciples: "Days will come when YOU will desire to see one of the days of the Son of man but YOU will not see [it]. 23 And people will say to YOU, "See there!" or, "See here!" Do not go out or chase after [them]. 24 For even as the lightning, by its flashing, shines from one part under heaven to another part under heaven, so the Son of man will be. 25 First, however, he must undergo many sufferings and be rejected by this generation. 26 Moreover, just as it occurred in the days of Noah, so it will be also in the days of the Son of man: 27 they were eating, they were drinking, men were marrying, women were being given in marriage, until that day when Noah entered into the ark, and the flood arrived and destroyed them all. 28 Likewise, just as it occurred in the days of Lot: they were eating, they were drinking, they were buying, they were selling, they were planting, they were building. 29 But on the day that Lot came out of Sodom it rained fire and sulphur from heaven and destroyed them all. 30 The same way it will be on that day when the Son of man is to be revealed.

Never has there been a time when more people have been misled about truth and Christ. Ever since the Apostasy, foretold by Christ, took hold at the end of the first century, when there were on Apostles about to fight it any longer, it has slowly got worse, but boy has it accelerated in this time since Satan was cast down from heaven to "the vicinity of the earth". Religion, especially Christendom, is badly fragmented instead of united, and that, and man's arrogant belief in his supposed "superior knowledge" has also led to a massive increase in Atheism. As scripture foretold for this time, the love (for God, Christ and truth) of the greater number really has grown cold.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2013 11:16:01 AM
At 9/11/2013 9:09:43 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

I'm not sure that is an exact quote, but it's near enough.

Ghandi, a very intelligent and insightful man, recognised that Christianity was, and is a very long way removed from the teachings of Christ, and in fact it has been since the end of the first century. Christ and the Apostles both foretold this happening, but it was left to the Apostles to state that it would happen with the death of the last of them.

To be fair however most of the Apostles work was, if you read their letters, working at combatting that Apostasy, so it was inevitable that it would take hold after they were no longer there to restrain it.

He also went on record as saying that "If the whole world were to live according to the principles embedded in the Sermon on the mount, there would be no need for Armies or Police Forces". Such is the true power of Christ's teachings, and that power is in action amongst Jehovah's Witnesses earth-wide.

No JW will ever go to war for whatever reason, because Christ commands us to love our enemy, and one cannot both love and kill him.

No JW will take part in any Governmental activities because Christ, and the APostles taught that they should be "No part of this world" which as both Christ and the Apostles confirmed is ruled by Satan.

Apart from that they give, and owe, their primary allegiance to God's kingdom through Jesus Christ, how could they support any other Kingdom or Government? They obey the laws of those Governments in every way which does not clash with God's law, but that is the extent of their loyalty of human Governments.

Jehovah's Witnesses are in fact the only organisation on this earth to not only "preach the Christ" but also to obey his commands as fully as humanly possible. They also worship the same God he did (John 20:17). It is simple for you to check that out for yourself.

Christ is invisible you fool. He ( the invisible messiah ) was witnessed and spoken by all us saints during this age.

Religion came first from God's plan called the "beast", then came buildings ( false gods ) , cities and governments who formed countries.

Christianity came out of the "beast" that was written about in the prophecies of Daniel and Revelation. It was used by God to teach men how to build things, not to spread the Word of God to God's people. The "Word of God" is the invisible "Christ" that no man has ever known except the saints.
Naysayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2013 12:53:43 PM
At 9/11/2013 9:25:36 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

I don't imagine he did or he would not have said what he did. However when he returns in the resurrection he will be delighted by what he finds there.

I can't even think of a nice way to respond to that. Where do I even start?
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2013 1:56:13 PM
At 9/11/2013 12:53:43 PM, Naysayer wrote:

On re-reading it I realise my post needs a little explanation for some. when I said I don;t imagine he did I was referring to the statement that he regretted paying more attention to Christians than Christ. I doubted that he did regret it.

Also it is true that he must have at least paid them sufficient attention to observe the differences and the fact that, since the APostasy set in, Christ's teachings have been all but ignored.
Naysayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2013 2:52:27 PM
At 9/11/2013 1:56:13 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 9/11/2013 12:53:43 PM, Naysayer wrote:

On re-reading it I realise my post needs a little explanation for some. when I said I don;t imagine he did I was referring to the statement that he regretted paying more attention to Christians than Christ. I doubted that he did regret it.

Also it is true that he must have at least paid them sufficient attention to observe the differences and the fact that, since the APostasy set in, Christ's teachings have been all but ignored.

No. I got what you were saying. I'm not willing to argue with you just to give you a platform to spout your inconsistencies.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2013 5:22:10 PM
Naysayer: "No. I got what you were saying. I'm not willing to argue with you just to give you a platform to spout your inconsistencies."

Anna: Well, that's exactly what you'd be doing. You can start out talking about Abraham and Sarah, and within five posts, he'll be on the trinity, John 17: 3, the 144,000, and Armageddon.

I've never once on here said that the Jehovah's Witnesses are a cult. Not once. However, I shall say that in their recruiting and teaching of prospective converts, the utilize many of the same methods employed by such groups.

They remind me of Alcoholics Anonymous and its sister organization, who also employ a "cult-ese" in which they redefine common words - only the JW's insist that they are merely employing "God's views"
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2013 3:55:16 AM
At 9/11/2013 5:22:10 PM, annanicole wrote:
Naysayer: "No. I got what you were saying. I'm not willing to argue with you just to give you a platform to spout your inconsistencies."

Anna: Well, that's exactly what you'd be doing. You can start out talking about Abraham and Sarah, and within five posts, he'll be on the trinity, John 17: 3, the 144,000, and Armageddon.

I've never once on here said that the Jehovah's Witnesses are a cult. Not once. However, I shall say that in their recruiting and teaching of prospective converts, the utilize many of the same methods employed by such groups.

They remind me of Alcoholics Anonymous and its sister organization, who also employ a "cult-ese" in which they redefine common words - only the JW's insist that they are merely employing "God's views"

No it doesn't, it uses exactly the same methods as used by Christ and the Apostles, they preach, they teach, and they baptise. There is nothing more, or less, to it.

Calling it a cult or not is not the insult people like to think it is, especially since the early Christians were regarded as a cult of Judaism, and in a sense they were since Christianity was an offshoot, of, and replacement for Judaism.

Also it doesn't matter how other humans regard the Jehovah's Witnesses, I, and they, have plenty of evidence to prove their credentials as God's people. Scripture backs them 100%, which is of course, because they are 100% based on scripture. Even their name is, as I have demonstrated many times, scripturally based, whether you wish to accept that or not, God and Christ do and that is all that matters.

How people regard Jehovah's Witnesses affects on the people themselves, not the Jehovah's Witnesses. They will still be God's people whatever humans think because it was Christ who gathered them out of Apostate Christendom, not men.
Mo09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2013 6:26:15 AM

I guess, Gandhi said this because of the different opinions that the Christians believe in. Even though they have the same religion, still they do different practice in performing rituals or in praying. Etc. I used to interview a Christian before and I've learned a lot from him, I transcribe these recordings via the http://scribeon.com... so that it would be a lot easier. After which, I let the priest read it and ask for his advice regarding these issues.
Naysayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2013 6:42:42 AM
At 9/12/2013 6:26:15 AM, Mo09 wrote:

I guess, Gandhi said this because of the different opinions that the Christians believe in. Even though they have the same religion, still they do different practice in performing rituals or in praying. Etc. I used to interview a Christian before and I've learned a lot from him, I transcribe these recordings via the http://scribeon.com... so that it would be a lot easier. After which, I let the priest read it and ask for his advice regarding these issues.

Gandhi said it because a bunch of white Christians in South Africa (I believe) called him derogatory names and threw him out of their church for being Indian. Which doesn't change his obligation to God, just calls those men into question for their actions at the Judgment Seat of Christ.
madilincrock
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2013 4:21:49 PM
This humbl weakling was only referring to the large amount of hyprocrisy that is seen by the church and its people. Gods is sooo loving right and his son spoke of truth and all this goodie stuffe. Yet, in the bible god commits and tells his followers to commit hideous crimes. And most of the christians pastors are pedophiles that pray on kids.

Vaticancrimes.com
exposingchristianity,com
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2013 5:16:07 PM
At 9/12/2013 4:21:49 PM, madilincrock wrote:
This humbl weakling was only referring to the large amount of hyprocrisy that is seen by the church and its people. Gods is sooo loving right and his son spoke of truth and all this goodie stuffe. Yet, in the bible god commits and tells his followers to commit hideous crimes. And most of the christians pastors are pedophiles that pray on kids.

Vaticancrimes.com
exposingchristianity,com

No, God never tells anyone to commit crime, no way, no how.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2013 5:22:50 PM

MCB: No it doesn't, it uses exactly the same methods as used by Christ and the Apostles, they preach, they teach, and they baptise. There is nothing more, or less, to it.

Anna: Really? If you were riding along, teaching a man such as the Ethiopian eunuch - a man very familiar with the OT scriptures, and he said "See! Here is water! What doth hinder me from being baptized?" -- exactly what you would do, step-by-step?

I think we'll find that YOU - and any other Russellite or Jehovah's Witness - will not and indeed can not do what Philip did: just stop the car and baptize him.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2013 6:11:28 PM
At 9/12/2013 5:22:50 PM, annanicole wrote:

MCB: No it doesn't, it uses exactly the same methods as used by Christ and the Apostles, they preach, they teach, and they baptise. There is nothing more, or less, to it.

Anna: Really? If you were riding along, teaching a man such as the Ethiopian eunuch - a man very familiar with the OT scriptures, and he said "See! Here is water! What doth hinder me from being baptized?" -- exactly what you would do, step-by-step?

I think we'll find that YOU - and any other Russellite or Jehovah's Witness - will not and indeed can not do what Philip did: just stop the car and baptize him.

As long as he demonstrated sufficient knowledge then baptism would be arranged, however such a situation would not arrse now, Apostasy such as yours makes sure of that.

Whether from Apostate Christianity or from other faiths, or even from Atheism, the knowledge of scripture is often even worse that yours.

The Apostles didn't have such well established Apostasy to deal with as there is now, nor did they have Satan hyperactive, angry, and confined to the vicinity of the earth, so whilst the "Preach, teach, baptise" pattern is still used allowance has to be made for the much different times, and more care has to be taken that the teachings of Christ and the Apostles are properly understood.

The very fact that you display all the signs of one driven by Satan to counteract truth shows why. Any who take to the truth have to be prepared to be able to stand up to such as you and hold on to their faith.

You are in fact, as GAmaliel told the Sanhedrin they were in danger of becoming, a fighter against God, which is why you cannot, and do not win.

Why do I say that?

You repeatedly deny scripture, and then deny doing so.

You are incapable of sticking to scripture but have to be almost constantly attacking Jehovah's Witnesses.

You concentrate heavily on their past, which is completely irrelevant. You show no Christian forgiveness for past errors.

Typically Satanic deception techniques. By their fruits you will know them.

Oh don't worry, I don't doubt you are sincere, but the one driving you isn't, and you don't even realised how thoroughly you are being used by him.

2 Corinthians 11:13, 14 "For such men are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into apostles of Christ. 14 And no wonder, for Satan himself keeps transforming himself into an angel of light"

Since there is only one truth that is either you or me, and I rely on scripture, and holy spirit to make sure it isn't me, as scripture tells us to do.

Scripture is, and has to be, the final arbiter in all things and for me always will be.

Unlike you who turns to lexicons and the writings of so called scholars whose only authority comes from man, not from God. I use the Watchtower publications for guidance only, but they have to agree with scripture or I'm not interested.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2013 6:27:08 PM

MCB: As long as he demonstrated sufficient knowledge then baptism would be arranged, however such a situation would not arrse now, Apostasy such as yours makes sure of that.

Anna: The question was "exactly what would you do, step-by-step?"

Once again, you simply did not answer.

Apostasy such as mine? We were assuming that the man was a Jew - or least was very familiar with the OT scriptures, as was the eunuch. Whether I'm apostate or not really has no bearing on what an orthodox Jew might believe, does it? If not, why try to toss it in?

Notice all the rambling that follows your evasion! Do you know what "step-by-step" means?

Folks, what MadCornish is trying to tell us is that, as a Jehovah's Witness, he COULD NOT CONSCIENTIOUSLY stop the car - or chariot - and baptize the fellow. Just couldn't do it. Yet he follows the scriptures! If a person knows enough about Jesus Christ and His teachings to request to be baptized, why do you have to "arrange" it?

Try answering again - this time without all the unsolicited extra baggage.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2013 6:37:43 PM

At least Christians exist.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2013 6:40:36 PM
From JW.org:

"Before you can be baptized, however, you need to know and accept at least the basic Bible teachings. (Hebrews 5:12) Such teachings include the truth about the condition of the dead and the importance of God"s name and his Kingdom."

Anna: Knowledge of the condition of the DEAD is a prerequisite for being baptized?

Let's see if Heb 5: 12 says a word about baptism:

"For when by reason of the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need again that some one teach you the rudiments of the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of solid food."

Of course it doesn't. It is speaking to people who had already been baptized - thus is irrelevant to the point.

Again, we ask:

"Knowledge of the condition of the DEAD is a prerequisite for being baptized?"

Somehow I doubt it. I very seriously doubt it. A person could be very scripturally baptized and know very little about the condition of the dead.

I guess we'll have to ask for proof that a person's knowledge of the condition of dead people is a determining factor concerning whether or not he can be baptized.
Drayson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2013 7:41:18 PM
I think it's an amusing quote, but kind of douchey. It just comes across as a self-righteous, smug, self-satisfied, holier-than-thou jab.

I'm no Christian, nor do I think Christians are good people just because they're Christians, but Gandhi was no saint either. Yet he was constantly making arrogant remarks like this throughout his life.

On one visit to the UK he was asked what he thought of Western civilization. He responded "I think that would be a good idea"

All I could say to that was "bugger off then, you sarky little twat"
"I'm not saying I don't trust you...and I'm not saying I do. But I don't"

-Topper Harley
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2013 4:17:43 AM
At 9/12/2013 7:41:18 PM, Drayson wrote:
I think it's an amusing quote, but kind of douchey. It just comes across as a self-righteous, smug, self-satisfied, holier-than-thou jab.

I'm no Christian, nor do I think Christians are good people just because they're Christians, but Gandhi was no saint either. Yet he was constantly making arrogant remarks like this throughout his life.

On one visit to the UK he was asked what he thought of Western civilization. He responded "I think that would be a good idea"

All I could say to that was "bugger off then, you sarky little twat"

How you take it is entirely up to you, but it comes across to me as an honest appraisal of a faith which was, and still is, in total disarray, and far from the teachings it pretends to espouse.

Sarky? Maybe, but accurate, as was his appraisal of Western "civilisation". The last thing the West is, for all, or maybe even because of all, the Wes's arrogance we are very far from civilised.

A truly civilised society would not revert to entertainments in the same vein as those of the Romans in their arenas.

Do we? Yes, Boxing, Wrestling, any combat so called "sport" is of the same venal and bloodthirsty essence as the gladiatorial combat in the arena. Just because we attempt to stop short of actual killing doesn't make it any more civilised.

Frankly anyone who finds such things entertaining is sick in the head, literally. No Christian would even countenance such a thing because it goes so far against Christian Principle that it is unthinkable, obscene in the extreme.

Sports where one risks hurting oneself are one thing, but sports where one deliberately sets out to harm another are completely unconscionable to any follower of Christ.

No, Ghandi was right. Most Christians then, as now, have no idea what Christianity even is and to claim to be such is hypocritical in the extreme.

One can only be Christian if one is attempting to live as much like Christ and his Apostles as possible, and can you honestly see them condoning such barbaric pastimes?

Christianity is so much more than a mere label one sticks on to ones outer garments.