Jump to topic:

Daoism Discussion

Beverlee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2013 12:50:45 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I was hoping that someone would like to think about Daoism with me.

Daoism is a simple spiritual path that emphasizes simplicity and harmony. It is pantheistic, and teaches that each person has a moral responsibility to follow their own unique path through life.

Daoism is important to me in my life, and so I would like to be better able to justify and explain it as I start thinking about starting my own family.
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2013 1:55:34 PM
At 9/17/2013 12:50:45 PM, Beverlee wrote:

Daoism is a simple spiritual path that emphasizes simplicity and harmony. It is pantheistic, and teaches that each person has a moral responsibility to follow their own unique path through life.

It's better to put forward an argument or question something rather than merely making a thread about a topic and expecting it to be discussed. No offense, but I don't think that this will attract many people.

Daoism is important to me in my life, and so I would like to be better able to justify and explain it as I start thinking about starting my own family.

You, at age 19, are considering having kids?
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
Beverlee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2013 2:07:34 PM
At 9/17/2013 1:55:34 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:

It's better to put forward an argument or question something rather than merely making a thread about a topic and expecting it to be discussed. No offense, but I don't think that this will attract many people.

I didn't really want to start a "debate," just ask people to share some ideas with me. So, I don't care about how many people want to discuss the topic - I just wanted there to be a place to do it.

And I am never going to have any children. What I want to start doing is getting serious about the next chapters. I am in a serious relationship, and I want to grow that.
Beverlee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2013 2:12:19 PM
Also, I don't want it to look like I am proselytizing, because I'm also not doing that, either. I just wanted a place where this topic can be discussed.

If I were to say something to try and make people follow Daoism or whatever, and I was convincing, then someone who is interested would be following me instead of their own path. That would be inconsistent of me.

What I am hoping is that someone will just want to talk about ways that they have learned to "do their own thing," or follow their own way in their own lives.
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2013 9:50:53 PM
At 9/17/2013 2:07:34 PM, Beverlee wrote:

I didn't really want to start a "debate," just ask people to share some ideas with me. So, I don't care about how many people want to discuss the topic - I just wanted there to be a place to do it.

Forum threads aren't debates; they're meant to be much more casual and informal than that. But you aren't even presenting some concept or question that might interest people.

And I am never going to have any children. What I want to start doing is getting serious about the next chapters. I am in a serious relationship, and I want to grow that.

Oh. Well, the word "family" seemed to imply children, to me.
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2013 9:55:16 PM
At 9/17/2013 2:12:19 PM, Beverlee wrote:
Also, I don't want it to look like I am proselytizing, because I'm also not doing that, either. I just wanted a place where this topic can be discussed.

If I were to say something to try and make people follow Daoism or whatever, and I was convincing, then someone who is interested would be following me instead of their own path. That would be inconsistent of me.

What I am hoping is that someone will just want to talk about ways that they have learned to "do their own thing," or follow their own way in their own lives.

Yeah, see? This isn't why people come here. They're on this site to discuss, argue, and, as you put it, "proselytize." No one is interested in posting opinions about such an incredibly open-ended subject. I'm not trying to make or pressure you about anything; I just think that you should know.
DeFool
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2013 12:03:10 AM
At 9/17/2013 9:55:16 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:

Yeah, see? This isn't why people come here. They're on this site to discuss, argue, and, as you put it, "proselytize." No one is interested in posting opinions about such an incredibly open-ended subject. I'm not trying to make or pressure you about anything; I just think that you should know.

Then we are happy to discuss the usefulness of open ended topics, such as this.

I have been a heckler of the religious in this Forum for some time now. It is novel that my own spiritual views can now be targeted for attack by the many that I am sure to have offended.

Although I frequently claim to be a Satanist, I am not. This provocation is always only intended to make it clear that I will never retract a single harsh word that I have thrown into Christendom.

The fact is, I am a committed Taoist, if an imperfect one. Contemplation of this gentle doctrine is how I tend to calm myself enough to discuss Christian faiths. It helps to shame me into some form of respect for the feelings of the evil Christians, Jews and Muslims.

(Center.... breathe...)

I cannot convincingly say that I have the requisite humility, balance and simplicity to qualify as a good Taoist. I do try, however, and my constant failures in this regard help to ground me intellectually and emotionally: I know that these shortcomings of mine are not a benefit to me. I should not be proud to maintain them.

Where I succeed with my Taoist exercises, however, is in the areas of hedonism, utilitarianism and spiritual direction. I would be dishonest if I did not say that I admire the poetic use of Occam's Razor.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2013 12:57:12 AM
Actually no, I'm not sure. Can revolutionaries be Daoists? I believe in God somewhat, but that doesn't even matter to me really. It's just a hopeful sort of thing. Basically, I just rather firmly believe in the path I'm following.
Beverlee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2013 1:06:25 AM
At 9/18/2013 12:03:10 AM, DeFool wrote:
At 9/17/2013 9:55:16 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:

Then we are happy to discuss the usefulness of open ended topics, such as this.

I have been a heckler of the religious in this Forum for some time now. It is novel that my own spiritual views can now be targeted for attack by the many that I am sure to have offended.

Although I frequently claim to be a Satanist, I am not. This provocation is always only intended to make it clear that I will never retract a single harsh word that I have thrown into Christendom.

The fact is, I am a committed Taoist, if an imperfect one. Contemplation of this gentle doctrine is how I tend to calm myself enough to discuss Christian faiths. It helps to shame me into some form of respect for the feelings of the evil Christians, Jews and Muslims.

(Center.... breathe...)

I cannot convincingly say that I have the requisite humility, balance and simplicity to qualify as a good Taoist. I do try, however, and my constant failures in this regard help to ground me intellectually and emotionally: I know that these shortcomings of mine are not a benefit to me. I should not be proud to maintain them.

Where I succeed with my Taoist exercises, however, is in the areas of hedonism, utilitarianism and spiritual direction. I would be dishonest if I did not say that I admire the poetic use of Occam's Razor.

lol.... see you should listen to the Dali Lama! He says that you never have to be embarrassed about any act of kindness. I always try to remember that I won't feel "some kind of way" about anything I say as long as I was kind when I said it.
Beverlee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2013 1:14:47 AM
At 9/18/2013 12:57:12 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Actually no, I'm not sure. Can revolutionaries be Daoists? I believe in God somewhat, but that doesn't even matter to me really. It's just a hopeful sort of thing. Basically, I just rather firmly believe in the path I'm following.

You don't have to be sure! I always second-guess myself, because I want to get better at the things that I do. Uncertainty and self doubt help me to stay sharp.

But you SHOULD feel firm in the path that you are following: your life is important to you. You deserve to be as happy as you can be, right?

Also, about god - I agree with you. There may be one, or a lot of them, or there may not be. I don't see how it matters religiously, so I don't think about it very often. I wouldn't want to say something that might hurt someone's feelings. It's just that gods don't matter to me religiously, and they aren't important in a non-religous context, either.

For some people they are, just not me.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2013 1:15:21 AM
Wow. No response for me.

And I dunno would I actually consider myself a Daoist, thinking about it. And I'm not sure where I stand as regards God either. I mean I might be crazy, right? But then it's gotta be an overwhelming sort of crazy. I feel both moulded to a degree, and guided.

Either way, though, God or no, I'ma do what I'm gonna do. And just for hope maybe.

(Oh, replied to. Oh, well.)
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2013 1:16:55 AM
At 9/18/2013 1:14:47 AM, Beverlee wrote:
At 9/18/2013 12:57:12 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:

You don't have to be sure! I always second-guess myself, because I want to get better at the things that I do. Uncertainty and self doubt help me to stay sharp.

But you SHOULD feel firm in the path that you are following: your life is important to you. You deserve to be as happy as you can be, right?

Also, about god - I agree with you. There may be one, or a lot of them, or there may not be. I don't see how it matters religiously, so I don't think about it very often. I wouldn't want to say something that might hurt someone's feelings. It's just that gods don't matter to me religiously, and they aren't important in a non-religous context, either.

For some people they are, just not me.

So what sort of path are you following?
Beverlee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2013 1:25:14 AM
At 9/18/2013 1:17:44 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Lesbian liberal - that's pretty hot.

lol... and I can beat you up with a lightsaber, too!

My grandma used to talk about a thing called the ravenpath, which is something like the old saying "as the crow flies," meaning the shortest path to somewhere. I think that the concept is pretty close to the idea of dharma. We do what we are uniquely suited to do. We can fight it, but resisting our nature just makes us miserable. On the other hand, if we give in to our true nature, then we can become pretty strong. Once we admit that we want certain things, then we are better able to go make them happen.

So that's my idea of my path. Sort of.... lol
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2013 7:13:35 AM
Interesting thread.

My understanding of Daoism is that it's extremely difficult to pin down a core ideology. You can say it stems from the Dao de Ching, but that book emphasizes emptiness of self, which would seemingly leave the book bereft of an actual ideology. The religion is associated with inaction and from an "outsider" perspective may seem quite nihilistic. However, then you have to ask if by embracing few if any core ideas, Daoism embraces EVERY core idea.

That's how I view Daoism...it points out and emphasizes the various contradictions in life.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2013 7:14:19 AM

I would say that the OP's approach is Daoist, whereas yours is Confucianist.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2013 1:01:27 PM
At 9/18/2013 1:25:14 AM, Beverlee wrote:
At 9/18/2013 1:17:44 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Lesbian liberal - that's pretty hot.

lol... and I can beat you up with a lightsaber, too!

My grandma used to talk about a thing called the ravenpath, which is something like the old saying "as the crow flies," meaning the shortest path to somewhere. I think that the concept is pretty close to the idea of dharma. We do what we are uniquely suited to do. We can fight it, but resisting our nature just makes us miserable. On the other hand, if we give in to our true nature, then we can become pretty strong. Once we admit that we want certain things, then we are better able to go make them happen.

So that's my idea of my path. Sort of.... lol

Yeah, I'm constantly counting magpie. Dunno is that really relevant, but: http://en.wikipedia.org...(nursery_rhyme)

Apparently I'm going to meet a lovely girl and we're going to have a little boy. Anyway I'm pretty drunk, so good night ;D