Jump to topic:

Post-Religion

Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2013 8:31:22 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Is self-help and lifestyle development a good alternative after the death of God?
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Disquisition
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2013 12:57:42 AM
At 9/18/2013 8:31:22 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Is self-help and lifestyle development a good alternative after the death of God?

Huh? Could you elaborate? What God, and when is his death?
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2013 4:43:03 AM
Nietzsche's "Parable of The Madman" eh?

If we are to say that "God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him" , as Nietzsche does (the statement is of course arguable, but, let's continue), then we must find meaning in our lives. That is what Nietzsche wanted to grasp at. We fall into nihilism with ease if we do not carve out a meaning pertinent to us.

Self-help and lifestyle development are both useful fields, yet littered with swathes of rubbish. They can help us carve out a meaning in our lives, but there's so much trash to sift through at first. Many of those in self-help offer advice pertaining to only a, I believe, shallow view of humanity. Others offer hopes that are so vague as to be meaningless. You've probably heard such criticisms before of self-help. To me, most people look at self-help to a limited extent such that self-help is meaningless; it is not a good alternative. I myself peruse self-help and lifestyle development, but I've developed my own (biased) taste for what is meaningful advice.

One must develop an understanding of the principles that ought to guide their lives. Integrity, honour ... behavioural economics has answers to that! Where will you find that science on most self-help? What about the fact that we oft forget the past despite nearly nothing new coming under the sun? Ultimately, you'll find meaning through a grand synthesis of ideas and experiences over time.

Vague words aside, the answer to your question is - mostly no, but in some cases lifestyle development - when used well - can have very beneficial effects.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
Polaris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2013 11:42:32 AM
At 9/18/2013 8:31:22 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

Sports fandom seems to have replaced many of the social and psychological functions of religion in contemporary society, their holy wars typically involve less bloodshed, and more alcohol.