Jump to topic:

Can you belive this.

johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 12:38:33 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I just asked a work colleague if he believed in God and he responded with a resounding "No", and further declared God does not exist.......

But here is the cruncher,

The man still identifies himself as a Muslim. and calls himself a Muslim.

WTF
Polaris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 1:03:37 PM
At 9/23/2013 12:38:33 PM, johnlubba wrote:
I just asked a work colleague if he believed in God and he responded with a resounding "No", and further declared God does not exist.......

WTF

I know that some atheists claim to be "cultural Jews", perhaps a similar situation is occurring here.
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 1:36:44 PM
At 9/23/2013 1:03:37 PM, Polaris wrote:

WTF

I know that some atheists claim to be "cultural Jews", perhaps a similar situation is occurring here.

I've heard of believing in God but not religion, but this is the first time I have come across somebody who doesn't believe in God but believes in religion.
Naysayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 1:51:21 PM
At 9/23/2013 1:36:44 PM, johnlubba wrote:

WTF

I've heard of believing in God but not religion, but this is the first time I have come across somebody who doesn't believe in God but believes in religion.

I don't know. I know about this group of guys that claims to not believe anything, yet were obsessed with going on religious forums to discuss religion continuously.

It's like that law was written on their hearts and they couldn't scrub it off, no matter how hard they tried.

Tit_2:11 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,
Lordgrae
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 6:40:13 PM
I don't know. I know about this group of guys that claims to not believe anything, yet were obsessed with going on religious forums to discuss religion continuously.

It's like that law was written on their hearts and they couldn't scrub it off, no matter how hard they tried.

Well, I find comparative religion very interesting, even if I do not take part in it myself. If it were not for people believing in it, the bible would be one of the most interesting religious texts ever written with its many contrasting authors, allegories, metaphors and poetic verses. The bible is truly a testament to the imagination and artistry of man.

Perhaps this co-worker was a cultural muslim, as in, someone who celebrates the holidays mostly because of their family, and does observe some customs out of habit from childhood, but doesn't believe in the religion part. I suppose it makes more sense for Jews to have this relationship, because of the lack of conversion done, most people who can trace being Jewish back, I think it's like 6 generations, (like me) is most likely Jewish since the fall of the Judaic kingdom. So it is somewhat unusual to hear this from a Muslim, it is not a phenomenon.

I mean, I'm just Jewish for the bagels, not Yahweh.
Birth Name: Graesil s'h'u Aln s'de Alanai'u s'se Saeron
Name: Grae
Titles: Lord, x'Sor Linniae (the false king), Elven War Chief, Heir to Aln
Class: Melee Archer/ Orator
Main Stats: Charisma, Dexterity
Weilds: Bladebow, Elven Slim Sword
Skills: Oration, Double Shot, Backstab, Snatch, Overwhelm Mind, Dominate, Parley, Restorative Sleep
Personal History: Born as the second of triplets, he was wed at an early age to a Dryad. He escaped several times, and on the last was captured and enslaved
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 10:21:48 PM
At 9/23/2013 1:51:21 PM, Naysayer wrote:

WTF

Or maybe it's that discussions of religious matters, even the religious position of "no religion", were best suited for the "religion" section.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Naysayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 11:08:12 PM
At 9/23/2013 10:21:48 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

WTF

Or maybe it's that discussions of religious matters, even the religious position of "no religion", were best suited for the "religion" section.

Funny thing is those discussions of "no religion" generally have a hefty smearing of scorn on them. Seems like something that could just be left off for such an innocuous purpose.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 11:11:07 PM
At 9/23/2013 11:08:12 PM, Naysayer wrote:

WTF

Funny thing is those discussions of "no religion" generally have a hefty smearing of scorn on them. Seems like something that could just be left off for such an innocuous purpose.

Funny thing is that those who complain about the scorn of others rarely notice when their own side is being equally "scornful". Seems like something that could just be left off for such a noble purpose.
Jack212
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 11:40:41 PM

WTF

It's not that ridiculous. Some people identify with a religious group for cultural reasons.
Naysayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2013 1:18:18 AM
At 9/23/2013 11:11:07 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

WTF

Funny thing is that those who complain about the scorn of others rarely notice when their own side is being equally "scornful". Seems like something that could just be left off for such a noble purpose.

There's a significant difference between heated debate and generating post after post for the sake of mocking someone's religions beliefs.
Fruitytree
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2013 3:35:11 AM
Islam isn't a culture, it has 5 pillars , the first being to testify there is no god (worthy of worship) except God and that Mohamed is the messenger of God. so your friend clearly doesn't know the difference between his culture (Arab or Asian or whatever) and the religion of Islam. The one who doesn't believe in God can't be a Muslim, can't inherit from Muslims nor Muslims can inherit from him, even the one who believes in God yet disbelieves in Mohamed as a Prophet, isn't a Muslim.

So your colleague is confused..
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2013 2:08:17 PM
Many people who identify as a Christian are "traditionalists". They celebrate Christmans, Easter, have Christian parents, believe in the moral teachings of The Bible, and call themselves Christians....While not believing in any of the actual supernatural aspects of The Bible. I'm sure the same thing goes for Islam...
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2013 5:51:22 PM

WTF

https://scontent-b-mia.xx.fbcdn.net...
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2013 8:12:19 PM
At 9/24/2013 1:18:18 AM, Naysayer wrote:

WTF

There's a significant difference between heated debate and generating post after post for the sake of mocking someone's religions beliefs.

There is indeed! But no one side has monopoly on that, now, don't you agree?
Polaris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2013 9:17:42 PM

WTF

I can't speak for anyone else but my interest in debating a topic is directly proportional to how many people believe in the truth of that topic. I imagine if there were more flat-earthers, and holocaust deniers dotting internet forums It would invoke great glee in me debating those folks as well, alas they are few in number.
Polaris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2013 9:19:49 PM
At 9/24/2013 9:17:42 PM, Polaris wrote:

WTF

I can't speak for anyone else but my interest in debating a topic is directly proportional to how many people believe in the truth of that topic. I imagine if there were more flat-earthers, and holocaust deniers dotting internet forums It would invoke great glee in me debating those folks as well, alas they are few in number.

Not to imply that theism is on par with holocaust denial, or flat-earthism.
Naysayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2013 9:46:26 PM
At 9/24/2013 8:12:19 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

WTF

Of course. Do you think I condone such behaviour?
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2013 10:58:00 PM
At 9/24/2013 9:46:26 PM, Naysayer wrote:
At 9/24/2013 8:12:19 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

WTF

Of course. Do you think I condone such behaviour?

Well, you're the one who posted the snide, one-sided, and unsupported comment in the first place that didn't actually relate to what you then complained about re: behavior.
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2013 5:05:28 AM
At 9/24/2013 2:08:17 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
Many people who identify as a Christian are "traditionalists". They celebrate Christmans, Easter, have Christian parents, believe in the moral teachings of The Bible, and call themselves Christians....While not believing in any of the actual supernatural aspects of The Bible. I'm sure the same thing goes for Islam...

Well put.