Jump to topic:

What is your favorite Bible verse?

Sitara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2013 4:42:02 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Romans 5:10 For if when we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life.
Naysayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2013 5:27:28 PM
Psalm 44:1
We have heard with our ears, O God, our fathers have told us, what work thou didst in their days, in the times of old.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2013 5:33:02 PM
I read the Sermon on the Mount recently and I was like, "Well, a whole lot of this still doesn't make too much sense to me, but there's some cool bits".

I like where it goes, "...and God saw that it was good". I say it like you'd think a black person on television would say it, ya know? and think of God as kind of a gangster pimp.

(Not racist now, though!! I just find black people particularly melodious. Maybe it's the pain they've been through.)

Also, in the same vein, this line: "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God". Word, G.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2013 5:35:16 PM
Also, "I'm representing for them gangstas all across the world. Still hitting them corners on the lo-lo's, girl. Still taking my time to perfect the beat. And I still got love for the streets, it's the G-O-D".
Dogknox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2013 5:50:21 PM
At 9/24/2013 4:42:02 PM, Sitara wrote:
Romans 5:10 For if when we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life.

How about..
The Great Commission Matthew 28

"All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.
19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,
20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

Clearly: All AUTHORITY of God is given to Jesus' Church! All THEREFORE'S found in the scriptures bring into CONTEXT after the THEREFORE all that came before the THEREFORE! >> All AUTHORITY of God is given to me>> "Therefore GO"!

19 "Baptism makes DISCIPLES!" Disciples are in God' family, they are BROTHERS of Jesus>> Clearly because, all in God' holy family call God "Father";Baptism saves!! Baptism makes God' children of all nations!

20 "AND"... This AND tells us, the Church Jesus commissioned has all the AUTHORITY of God to TEACH ALL NATIONS! Jesus' Church is a TEACHING CHURCH!

The end of verse the last part of verse 20 tells us.. "Jesus is ALWAYS WITH his Church to the end of time!"
The end of verse 20 tells us.. "The Church Jesus established will never fail", the Church Jesus established, Jesus is ALWAYS WITH, Jesus remains with!!!

Matthew 28:20 (ERV)
20 Teach them to obey everything that I have told you to do. You can be sure that I will be with you always. I will continue with you until the end of time."
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2013 7:11:30 PM
Romans 8:38-39
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

1 Corinthians 13

13 If I speak in the tongues[a] of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast,[b] but do not have love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Poetaster
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2013 7:33:59 PM
"Do not answer fools according to their folly, or you will make of yourself a fool. But answer fools according to their folly, or they will be wise in their own eyes."
Proverbs 26:4
"The book you are looking for hasn't been written yet. What you are looking for you are going to have to find yourself, it's not going to be in a book..." -Sidewalker
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2013 7:36:10 PM
"thou shalt not thinketh with thine own mind - so sayeth God!" - Dogmatius 11:12
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Fruitytree
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2013 12:04:28 AM
At 9/24/2013 7:36:10 PM, 000ike wrote:
"thou shalt not thinketh with thine own mind - so sayeth God!" - Dogmatius 11:12

That's true when your mind is a hole!

But the Bible always invites people to think!!
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2013 5:15:41 AM
At 9/25/2013 12:04:28 AM, Fruitytree wrote:
At 9/24/2013 7:36:10 PM, 000ike wrote:

That's true when your mind is a hole!

But the Bible always invites people to think!!

I have many, the Bible isn't one of the most distributed books of all time without a reason. The book definitely has some in-depth philosophy to it.

I like a man reaps what he sows.

Also he who exalts himself shall be humbled and he who humbles himself shall be exalted.
Sitara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2013 12:45:57 AM
39 This is the will of the Father who sent Me, that of all He has given Me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up at the last day.
Sitara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2013 2:57:14 AM
John 10:28 And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2013 6:14:38 AM
Deuteronomy 22:20

20 But if this accusation is true and no evidence of the young woman"s virginity is found, 21 they will bring the woman to the door of her father"s house, and the men of her city will stone her to death. For she has committed an outrage in Israel by being promiscuous in her father"s house. You must purge the evil from you.

Just watching the bible is the best book ever cause like it is the errant word of God crowed try to reconcile this piece of brilliant advice with their own moral sensibilities is truly a testament to how creative the human mind can be to protect a prior belief.

God forbid their own prior religious belief might be wrong.........God forbid.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2013 8:05:35 AM
At 9/24/2013 5:50:21 PM, Dogknox wrote:

How about..
The Great Commission Matthew 28

"All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.
19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,
20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

Clearly: All AUTHORITY of God is given to Jesus' Church! All THEREFORE'S found in the scriptures bring into CONTEXT after the THEREFORE all that came before the THEREFORE! >> All AUTHORITY of God is given to me>> "Therefore GO"!

19 "Baptism makes DISCIPLES!" Disciples are in God' family, they are BROTHERS of Jesus>> Clearly because, all in God' holy family call God "Father";Baptism saves!! Baptism makes God' children of all nations!

20 "AND"... This AND tells us, the Church Jesus commissioned has all the AUTHORITY of God to TEACH ALL NATIONS! Jesus' Church is a TEACHING CHURCH!

The end of verse the last part of verse 20 tells us.. "Jesus is ALWAYS WITH his Church to the end of time!"
The end of verse 20 tells us.. "The Church Jesus established will never fail", the Church Jesus established, Jesus is ALWAYS WITH, Jesus remains with!!!

Matthew 28:20 (ERV)
20 Teach them to obey everything that I have told you to do. You can be sure that I will be with you always. I will continue with you until the end of time."

Shame that all you teach them then is lies.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2013 8:19:47 AM
I find it very difficult to single out a favourite verse because I have different favourites for different situation, but I guess the one that I keep closest to my heart, strange as it may sound is actually two inseparable verses.

2 Corinthians 4:3,4 If, now, the good news we declare is in fact veiled, it is veiled among those who are perishing, 4 among whom the god of this system of things has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, that the illumination of the glorious good news about the Christ, who is the image of God, might not shine through.

Why is that a favourite of mine?

Well for a start it reminds me what I am up against in trying to persuade people to pray to God for the wisdom only he can provide

James 1:5-8 So, if any one of YOU is lacking in wisdom, let him keep on asking God, for he gives generously to all and without reproaching; and it will be given him. 6 But let him keep on asking in faith, not doubting at all, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven by the wind and blown about. 7 In fact, let not that man suppose that he will receive anything from Jehovah; 8 he is an indecisive man, unsteady in all his ways.

It reminds me what a powerful enemy I am trying to combat, who has almost the whole world in his power.

It also helps me to realise why only God can make the seeds of truth grow in people's hearts, if they are willing. 1 Corinthians 3:6 I planted, Apollos watered, but God kept making [it] grow;

In that grouping, or the equivalent of, I am the "I" who is trying to plant. I would also be happy to be the "Apollos" to anyone who wished my help. However I can never take on God's role of making it grow.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2013 9:20:29 AM
"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses." - Ezekiel 23:20

I'd love to know how "Children's" Bibles get around that.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2013 9:38:16 AM

This was the most favorite verse of the religious Romans who didn't know our Creator, either.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2013 10:32:14 AM
At 9/26/2013 9:20:29 AM, drafterman wrote:
"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses." - Ezekiel 23:20

Do they?

Don't forget the bible was written for children as well as adults. It frankness doesn't preclude that.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2013 10:33:27 AM
At 9/26/2013 9:38:16 AM, bornofgod wrote:

This was the most favorite verse of the religious Romans who didn't know our Creator, either.

Well at least you are far from alone in your abysmal ignorance of him then, lol.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2013 10:35:40 AM
At 9/26/2013 10:32:14 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

Do they?

Don't forget the bible was written for children as well as adults. It frankness doesn't preclude that.

Given that it seems that most book banning efforts are initiative by stuffy religious conservatives for reasons of "obscenity," allowing this verse in a book written for children would seem to present an inconsistency.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2013 10:40:30 AM
At 9/26/2013 10:33:27 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

Well at least you are far from alone in your abysmal ignorance of him then, lol.

How can I be ignorant as a saint who speaks for our Creator? It's sinners like yourself who are kept from the hidden knowledge of God to understand the prophecies about our future life in the next age. Sinners don't understand that God already saved ALL His people before life was played out within His mind. It's the delusion that He created that keeps His people from knowing Him or His eternal plan and from that delusion, He drew us saints and prophets out of it to use as testimonies of His eternal plans.

Christians have no idea what a true saint of the Lord's is.
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2013 11:05:19 AM
"Rich men don't go to heaven."
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2013 11:11:58 AM
At 9/26/2013 11:05:19 AM, AlbinoBunny wrote:
"Rich men don't go to heaven."

Well Jesus did say it would be harder for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven than a poor man, but he never said it was impossible.

I think that is because true Christianity demands that the strong care for the weak which also means the rich care for the poor, and rich people tend to get rich by not spending or giving away money.

In other words the rich man has more to loose.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2013 11:19:07 AM
At 9/26/2013 10:40:30 AM, bornofgod wrote:
At 9/26/2013 10:33:27 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

How can I be ignorant as a saint who speaks for our Creator? It's sinners like yourself who are kept from the hidden knowledge of God to understand the prophecies about our future life in the next age. Sinners don't understand that God already saved ALL His people before life was played out within His mind. It's the delusion that He created that keeps His people from knowing Him or His eternal plan and from that delusion, He drew us saints and prophets out of it to use as testimonies of His eternal plans.

Christians have no idea what a true saint of the Lord's is.

If you truly were a saint you would not be ignorant, but then you wouldn't be claiming such an exalted role for yourself as sainthood either because you would realise that, as Christ said, God tends to take people like you down a peg or two.

The very fact that you teach what you teach ,and claim to be a Saint proves you have no knowledge of God.

You raise yourself so high that the crash is going to be a lot harder for you when it comes.

At least, as the lowest of the low I don;t have so far to fall, lol.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2013 11:50:52 AM
At 9/26/2013 10:35:40 AM, drafterman wrote:

Do they?

Given that it seems that most book banning efforts are initiative by stuffy religious conservatives for reasons of "obscenity," allowing this verse in a book written for children would seem to present an inconsistency.

Really? so honesty and accurate description are obscene are they? How was God to word such a metaphor, since nothing else conveys the image that he needed to portray

Obscenity is not the discussion of things sexual, it is the discussion of them with the desire to titillate and tempt to wrong thoughts. If God had used the wrong words to describe what he did that really would have been obscene.

Can you come up with another metaphor that conjures up the image God needed to create, I can't.

Come to that do you know what the context of that metaphor is?
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2013 12:09:51 PM
At 9/26/2013 11:50:52 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 9/26/2013 10:35:40 AM, drafterman wrote:

Do they?

Really? so honesty and accurate description are obscene are they?

If what is being described is honestly and accurately obscene, then yes.

How was God to word such a metaphor, since nothing else conveys the image that he needed to portray

LOL, why did he need to portray bukkake and allude to bestiality?

Obscenity is not the discussion of things sexual, it is the discussion of them with the desire to titillate and tempt to wrong thoughts. If God had used the wrong words to describe what he did that really would have been obscene.

What is "obscene" is subjective and has nothing to do with "wrong words."

Can you come up with another metaphor that conjures up the image God needed to create, I can't.

Tell me what image God needed to create (and why).

Come to that do you know what the context of that metaphor is?

A night in Tijuana?

Regardless, you've missed the point. The Bible contains more violent and sexual imagery than some of the books that Bible thumpers have called to be banned, such as:

Tarzan (extra martial cohabitation)
Diary of Anne Frank (sexually explicit passages)
Where's Waldo (miniscule depiction of a topless woman)
The Twelfth Night (basically the entire plot)
What's Happening To My Body? (A guide to puberty)

So, basically, what you're telling me is that, it's fine for children to be exposed to images of war, slavery, rape, genocide, forced marriage, huge c0cks, large amounts of semen, stoning, apocalypse, crucifixion, prostitution, human sacrifice, but the concept of a man and woman who aren't married living in a treehouse together is just to fvcking much.
Democritus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2013 12:34:32 PM
Here are some of my favorites...

Genesis 19:8
"Look, I have two daughters, virgins both of them. Let me bring them out to you and you could do what you like with them. But do nothing to these men because they have come under the shelter of my roof.

Samuel 15:3
"Go, now, attack Amalek, and deal with him and all that he has under the ban. Do not spare him, but kill men and women, children and infants, oxen and sheep, camels and asses."

Peter 2:18
Slaves, be subject to your masters with all reverence, not only to those who are good and equitable but also to those who are perverse."

Genesis 7:21-23
Every living thing that moved on land perished"birds, livestock, wild animals, all the creatures that swarm over the earth, and all mankind. 22 Everything on dry land that had the breath of life in its nostrils died. 23 Every living thing on the face of the earth was wiped out; people and animals and the creatures that move along the ground and the birds were wiped from the earth. Only Noah was left, and those with him in the ark.

These books are the work of brutes. Evil MEN who had no knowledge of science or an understanding of morality. However, so many seemingly smart individuals not only believe these ancient texts (or pretend to) but in 2013! believe they are the words of a sky god that watches over us.

I just ask that every time you quote your favorite, inspiring bible passage, that you quote one of the lesser repeated ones. Maybe a god who condones slavery, rape, murder and child sacrifice will make some feel differently about the book.