Jump to topic:

No Religion

Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2013 2:33:57 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Reason should be used wherever applicable. Unfortunately reason does not satisfy everyone's need for moral context and community connection. Whilst it is true that religion often performs these functions badly, a poor performance will be preferred to a vacuum. I suggest lifestyle development and self-help, as well as community involvement and a bit of philosophy. I feel more vibrant, alive, and fulfilled now that I have chosen my own path, have become involved in activities I want not activities I think a God would want me to do, and have carved out my own meaning and purpose in life. What do the non-believers here have to suggest?
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2013 3:31:38 AM
At 9/25/2013 2:33:57 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Reason should be used wherever applicable. Unfortunately reason does not satisfy everyone's need for moral context and community connection. Whilst it is true that religion often performs these functions badly, a poor performance will be preferred to a vacuum. I suggest lifestyle development and self-help, as well as community involvement and a bit of philosophy. I feel more vibrant, alive, and fulfilled now that I have chosen my own path, have become involved in activities I want not activities I think a God would want me to do, and have carved out my own meaning and purpose in life. What do the non-believers here have to suggest?
I've chosen my path and my purpose and I am very happy thanks. No gods needed.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2013 2:51:12 PM
This is arguably the most important post in all of the religion forum. Ever.
Naysayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2013 3:19:18 PM
At 9/25/2013 2:51:12 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
This is arguably the most important post in all of the religion forum. Ever.

I'll take that argument. Stroking your own ego in forming your own religion (or non-religion, as it were) is as old as Cain and Able.

Genesis 4:
3 And in process of time it came to pass, that Cain brought of the fruit of the ground an offering unto the LORD.
4 And Abel, he also brought of the firstlings of his flock and of the fat thereof. And the LORD had respect unto Abel and to his offering:
5 But unto Cain and to his offering he had not respect. And Cain was very wroth, and his countenance fell.
6 And the LORD said unto Cain, Why art thou wroth? and why is thy countenance fallen?
7 If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him.
Gen 4:8 And Cain talked with Abel his brother: and it came to pass, when they were in the field, that Cain rose up against Abel his brother, and slew him.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2013 4:39:07 PM
The world is shifting away from religious dogmatism. This is an undeniable fact. Now what the search for meaning is in the vacuum is what is being asked.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2013 4:44:17 PM
Fix the word politically and it'll fix itself spiritually. Those insidious religious preachers prey on insecurity and so abolish insecurity.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2013 4:47:03 PM
It's all about control, WSA. Take Hitler who shot himself in the head: that's the extreme to which this problem goes, to death. Your one-liners about self-help aren't going to help anything.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2013 4:48:15 PM
At 9/25/2013 2:33:57 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

There won't be any religion in the next age. Christianity is a false religion but God used it to teach men how to build things to help us understand our invisible created existence called energy. Energy wasn't understood 2,000 years ago, despite the other saints knowing that we came from an unseen world. They didn't have the things ( telescopes, microscopes, computers, etc., to help them understand the details of our unseen world.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2013 4:51:28 PM
bornofgod exhibits and absolutely amazing example of what I'm talking about. Doesn't sound like death, hunger, theft, etc., matter to him at all. He's a man with the world firmly under his control. Not many find peace in the peaceful way he has, though.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2013 4:58:54 PM
Sorry to use you as an example, Brad. In fairness to you, you sound as though you might be the most peaceful man there is; but then not one whose ways I could submit to.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2013 5:13:55 PM
At 9/25/2013 4:58:54 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Sorry to use you as an example, Brad. In fairness to you, you sound as though you might be the most peaceful man there is; but then not one whose ways I could submit to.

That's ok my friend. No man can understand the peace that we get once we know the Truth, which very few of us have received since man existed in this world. The people in this forum do not understand what you and I do.

Jeremiah 10
10: But the LORD is the true God; he is the living God and the everlasting King. At his wrath the earth quakes, and the nations cannot endure his indignation.
11: Thus shall you say to them: "The gods who did not make the heavens and the earth shall perish from the earth and from under the heavens."
12: It is he who made the earth by his power, who established the world by his wisdom, and by his understanding stretched out the heavens.
13: When he utters his voice there is a tumult of waters in the heavens, and he makes the mist rise from the ends of the earth. He makes lightnings for the rain, and he brings forth the wind from his storehouses.
14: Every man is stupid and without knowledge; every goldsmith is put to shame by his idols; for his images are false, and there is no breath in them.
15: They are worthless, a work of delusion; at the time of their punishment they shall perish.

Can you understand this prophecy my friend?
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2013 5:18:16 PM
Your perspective is certainly very interesting. I see breath in humanity as a whole, though.
Naysayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2013 6:18:50 PM
At 9/25/2013 4:39:07 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
The world is shifting away from religious dogmatism. This is an undeniable fact. Now what the search for meaning is in the vacuum is what is being asked.

I'm not attempting to deny that. However, the void is being filled with the ambiguous, "do what feels right", whatever makes you happy religion of humanism. The vacuum will be filled. It ain't going to be pretty.

People are living their whole lives seeking some sort of happiness or cure for their ailes that they once found by giving their lives to God and serving him. Self help is falling short.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2013 6:42:00 PM
At 9/25/2013 4:47:03 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
It's all about control, WSA. Take Hitler who shot himself in the head: that's the extreme to which this problem goes, to death. Your one-liners about self-help aren't going to help anything.

lol
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2013 11:05:56 PM
At 9/25/2013 5:18:16 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Your perspective is certainly very interesting. I see breath in humanity as a whole, though.

You're right. The breath of life is who we are as invisible wavelengths of energy that were spoken into existence through God's first creation called the Word, also known as His voice. So all God's perfect creation is energy that vibrates in harmony.

Lucifer is God's planned delusion which is energy wavelengths that vibrate in disharmony with His perfect creation that keeps man from knowing who he is within the mind of God. The beast is the part of God's delusion that teaches His people how to build things so that He has a way of teaching us saints how He created us as invisible energy.

Since we're all in the mind of God as His thoughts ( spoken into existence as wavelengths of energy ), These thoughts of God are processed through our brains to give us the illusion of a body and a defined world around us. These flesh illusions are like computer peripherals that are needed to see defined information through a computer monitor, speakers, robotic arm movements, etc. Without peripherals, a computer processor is useless.

In the same way, if all we had was a brain ( processor ) without a body, none of the processed information could be understood. How would we hear anything or speak words into languages to understand each other?

This is why God waited until we had the latest technology in place to help us understand who we are within His mind, whatever that is. We don't have any information beyond His mind so we don't know if He is a "being" of some sort or not. All we know is that we're His thoughts and He dreamed up and planned everything before any visible world was understood by us created "beings".

This next writing by saint Paul is very interesting because he's explaining who we are in God. Christians have no way of understanding this knowledge without hearing it from a true saint who has the knowledge of God to tell them about it.

Acts 17: 24-31

24: The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of heaven and earth, does not live in shrines made by man,
25: nor is he served by human hands, as though he needed anything, since he himself gives to all men life and breath and everything.
26: And he made from one every nation of men to live on all the face of the earth, having determined allotted periods and the boundaries of their habitation,
27: that they should seek God, in the hope that they might feel after him and find him. Yet he is not far from each one of us,
28: for ..In him we live and move and have our being'; as even some of your poets have said, ..For we are indeed his offspring.'
29: Being then God's offspring, we ought not to think that the Deity is like gold, or silver, or stone, a representation by the art and imagination of man

This knowledge He had is the same knowledge of God ( Christ ) that's exposed in my mind and where I speak from. All us saints had this invisible knowledge revealed to us within the mind of God.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2013 12:19:34 AM
At 9/25/2013 6:42:00 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

lol

Seriously, man. Ever watch Game of Thrones?
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2013 3:17:05 PM
At 9/26/2013 12:19:34 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
At 9/25/2013 6:42:00 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

lol

Seriously, man. Ever watch Game of Thrones?

No, I don't watch TV.
Graincruncher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2013 3:19:59 PM
At 9/27/2013 3:17:05 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
No, I don't watch TV.

May I ask why?
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2013 3:42:36 PM
At 9/27/2013 3:19:59 PM, Graincruncher wrote:
No, I don't watch TV.

May I ask why?

1. I dislike advertising. Television is designed to make you feel bad so you will buy products that claim to make you feel better.
2. I prefer watching material that is better than that presented on television, so I watch stuff online with adblock plus engaged.
3. If I'm watching something on my computer, I can pause it to look up a term/topic discussed to gain a better perspective to watch the show.
4. It's a massive time-waster.
5. You miss out on social interaction and adventure. For my 30-day challenge, I will reduce my time on the internet and time on my smartphone to 30 minutes a day as well.
6. I don't want to develop a sedentary lifestyle of lower-consciousness: eating shitty food, watching TV, binge drinking/smoking to excess, engaging in partisan politics, believing in a religion, accepting whatever my current state is without believing I can advance.

I want to enter higher consciousness: achieving my goals, meditating (practicing presence), eating healthy food, abstaining from alcohol and other drugs, having good hobbies, constantly expanding my comfort zone, thinking for myself (Voluntaryism, agnostic atheism, thinking outside of social conditioning), researching topics that I find interesting, socializing with high-value people, and becoming centered in my identity.
Graincruncher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2013 4:01:08 PM
At 9/27/2013 3:42:36 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
1. I dislike advertising. Television is designed to make you feel bad so you will buy products that claim to make you feel better.

Agreed. Yet there are people who watch TV and do not just mindlessly purchase things. It is also easy to skip adverts.

2. I prefer watching material that is better than that presented on television, so I watch stuff online with adblock plus engaged.

That is still watching the same content as is on television and therefore exceedingly misleading as a statement.

3. If I'm watching something on my computer, I can pause it to look up a term/topic discussed to gain a better perspective to watch the show.

But you are still watching TV shows. Do you really think that level of pedantry in this context is useful?

Like reading, listening to music, painting... other avenues of information and aesthetic engagement, you mean?

5. You miss out on social interaction and adventure. For my 30-day challenge, I will reduce my time on the internet and time on my smartphone to 30 minutes a day as well.

I went nearly a decade without ever really watching TV and involving myself in as many social events as possible. That lacks balance just as much as never doing those things.

6. I don't want to develop a sedentary lifestyle of lower-consciousness: eating shitty food, watching TV, binge drinking/smoking to excess, engaging in partisan politics, believing in a religion, accepting whatever my current state is without believing I can advance.

So... you're going for a lifestyle of pretension and patronising dismissal of things you've evidently not thought through to any significant extent?

I want to enter higher consciousness: achieving my goals, meditating (practicing presence), eating healthy food, abstaining from alcohol and other drugs, having good hobbies, constantly expanding my comfort zone, thinking for myself (Voluntaryism, agnostic atheism, thinking outside of social conditioning), researching topics that I find interesting, socializing with high-value people, and becoming centered in my identity.

Sure sounds like you're doing a great job with it. Pedantically differentiating over 'watching television' in slightly different formats (hey, I use a TV as a monitor sometimes! Am I then watching TV, rather than playing games or reading forums?) and being condescendingly pious is not entering higher consciousness.

It sounds like you've fallen for New Age-ism, which is just another form of religion and just as predicated on society as anything else. "Thinking outside of social conditioning" is not doing the exact same thing as loads of other intellectual deadbeats have done and, in doing so, shown is just as conformist as anything else. Whether you say yes or no, you are still reacting to the same question. If you were thinking outside of social norms, you'd not be propounding such trite dogmatic nonsense.
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2013 5:45:54 PM
At 9/27/2013 3:19:59 PM, Graincruncher wrote:
No, I don't watch TV.

May I ask why?

people can achieve higher consciousness in many ways and your's isn't the only way. i ain't athletic and i don't want to be, and i have a sedentary lifestyle, but i see the big picture in a snap and can pull off things most others can't.
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2013 2:08:58 AM
At 9/27/2013 4:01:08 PM, Graincruncher wrote:

That is still watching the same content as is on television and therefore exceedingly misleading as a statement.

I can't watch David Friedman, Bryan Caplan, and RSD videos on TV.

But you are still watching TV shows. Do you really think that level of pedantry in this context is useful?

I don't watch TV shows.

Like reading, listening to music, painting... other avenues of information and aesthetic engagement, you mean?

If watching television is what makes you feel alive, and you are incapable of doing the escapist thrills you watch due to illness, disfigurement, etc, then I find that to be respectable and a worthwhile activity.

If watching television is just something you do to feel numb and brain-dead like getting wasted or eating fatty food, then I do not think that is a worthwhile activity. But that's just my opinion. I'd be shocked if all of my opinions matched reality 100%.

I went nearly a decade without ever really watching TV and involving myself in as many social events as possible. That lacks balance just as much as never doing those things.

I agree that life is about balance. Here's what my life is about.

Primary Goals
Education - A"s and B"s, M-F 10 am to 4 pm // Read a new book every two weeks
Pickup - Approach more than 10 girls every T, F, Sa, Sun night
Ultimate - Practice T, Th, Sun
Gym - Workout M, W, Sa @ 6

Secondary Goals
Dancing - Dance for 1 hour F, Sa
Guitar - Before going out
Slackline - After studying
Massage - 50% of girls that come over
Chess - During lunch
Read

Eat healthy. Cold showers. Masturbation 8 days apart. Less than 2 hours of internet per day. Meditate 10 minutes per day.

So... you're going for a lifestyle of pretension and patronising dismissal of things you've evidently not thought through to any significant extent?

It's just not what I've chosen for myself. I've done/thought every item on that list before, it's just that I have chosen to distance myself to activities/thoughts that get me stuck in lower consciousness.

Sure sounds like you're doing a great job with it. Pedantically differentiating over 'watching television' in slightly different formats (hey, I use a TV as a monitor sometimes! Am I then watching TV, rather than playing games or reading forums?) and being condescendingly pious is not entering higher consciousness.

I apologize if it sounded like I came off that way, it wasn't projecting toward you, but rather toward myself. If I don't light a fire under my azz, I won't stick to those list items.

It sounds like you've fallen for New Age-ism, which is just another form of religion and just as predicated on society as anything else. "Thinking outside of social conditioning" is not doing the exact same thing as loads of other intellectual deadbeats have done and, in doing so, shown is just as conformist as anything else. Whether you say yes or no, you are still reacting to the same question. If you were thinking outside of social norms, you'd not be propounding such trite dogmatic nonsense.

I've tried many things to escape the state I was in: chronic depression following my mother's death, father's abuse, chronic porn use/masturbation, self-hatred, and social ostracism. Now that I've found a way to reliably enter my flow state and become present when I'm playing guitar, talking to girls, or exploring nature I am grateful that I've found what motivates me, what makes me happy, and what cultivates my brain power.

You're correct in asserting that it has some religious-like beliefs to it. I hold several delusional beliefs on purpose, which have proven invaluable in my personal development.

What about yourself?