Total Posts:65|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Church Tonight!!!!!!

studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2009 12:00:31 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I usually don't enjoy going to regular Sunday church, but there's something about Christmas Eve Church Session that excites me. We give praise to God, receive candles to light and hold up, and sing Silent Night. I really feel closer to the Spirit during church on Christmas Eve.

Anyone else feel the same way?

(I know all about Christ's real birth and why Christmas is tomorrow, so skip it ;)
comoncents
Posts: 5,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2009 12:10:15 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/24/2009 12:00:31 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
I usually don't enjoy going to regular Sunday church, but there's something about Christmas Eve Church Session that excites me. We give praise to God, receive candles to light and hold up, and sing Silent Night. I really feel closer to the Spirit during church on Christmas Eve.

Anyone else feel the same way?

(I know all about Christ's real birth and why Christmas is tomorrow, so skip it ;)

Na, it seems boring to me.
I do enjoy the parts you mentioned but there is always a sermon and a passing of the plate.
Sometimes 2 times.

And since they know that non believers go on Christmas eve they always try to make people get saved.
johngriswald
Posts: 1,294
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2009 12:18:58 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
same thing, I like singing silent night with those candles and I enjoy trying to blow my brothers out.
Having problems with the fans site? Suggestions? Can't log in? Forgot your password? Want to be an editor and write opinion pieces? PM Me and I'll get it sorted out.

ddofans.com
Rob1Billion
Posts: 1,338
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2009 5:38:14 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
are you guys celebrating Christ's birthday, or the 5-10 other demigods that used that birthday before they invented Christianity?
Master P is the end result of capitalism.
studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2009 9:01:45 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/24/2009 5:38:14 PM, Rob1Billion wrote:
are you guys celebrating Christ's birthday, or the 5-10 other demigods that used that birthday before they invented Christianity?

Christ's birthday. (Read my original post more carefully)
tkubok
Posts: 5,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2009 7:20:05 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I went to church today. Instead of putting money on the collection plate, i took 10 bucks. I figure thats the amount of money i wasted buying a bus ticket and going over here.
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2009 7:21:10 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/25/2009 7:20:05 PM, tkubok wrote:
I went to church today. Instead of putting money on the collection plate, i took 10 bucks. I figure thats the amount of money i wasted buying a bus ticket and going over here.

You're a horrible person.
tkubok
Posts: 5,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2009 7:56:57 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/25/2009 7:21:10 PM, Volkov wrote:
You're a horrible person.

And the church is a horrible organization. I would feel no remorse if i were to rip off Mobsters, for example.
wjmelements
Posts: 8,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2009 7:57:20 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/25/2009 7:54:11 PM, Nags wrote:
Can someone point me to the Bible verse where it says that Jesus was born on December 25th?

It doesn't. The Catholic Church decided it was on December 25th for lack of a real date. Historians estimate that Jesus was born in September. However, the tradition has been occuring for so long and has so many connections to winter that no one really cares to change it.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2009 7:59:20 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/25/2009 7:56:57 PM, tkubok wrote:
And the church is a horrible organization. I would feel no remorse if i were to rip off Mobsters, for example.

You're not ripping off 'mobsters', you're ripping off the individuals who put their money in that collection plate. That was a direct donation from others to the church, not profit the Church has made.

So I reiterate - you're a horrible person.
tkubok
Posts: 5,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2009 8:02:53 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/25/2009 7:59:20 PM, Volkov wrote:
You're not ripping off 'mobsters', you're ripping off the individuals who put their money in that collection plate. That was a direct donation from others to the church, not profit the Church has made.

So I reiterate - you're a horrible person.

By that logic, im not ripping off "mobsters" when i steal or rip off from mobsters, i am ripping off the people who the Mobsters beat into submission and took the money from. The profit that mobsters made, im damn sure, also came from people who were beaten and were forced to pay up. Your point? Doesnt change the fact that it IS profit. The church makes money, its profit.
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2009 8:02:54 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/25/2009 7:57:20 PM, wjmelements wrote:
It doesn't.

Rhetorical question. Thanks for the response though.

The Catholic Church decided

Oh gawd no.

it was on December 25th for lack of a real date.

When in doubt, just make sh1t up!

Historians estimate that Jesus was born in September.

Hmm, yes, analyzing the weather and argriculture conditions around the time of Jesus's birth in the manger. Educated guess at best.

However, the tradition has been occuring for so long and has so many connections to winter that no one really cares to change it.

So, why celebrate Jesus's birth on a day when Jesus was never really born on said day?
studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2009 8:18:26 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/25/2009 8:02:54 PM, Nags wrote:
At 12/25/2009 7:57:20 PM, wjmelements wrote:
It doesn't.

Rhetorical question. Thanks for the response though.

The Catholic Church decided

Oh gawd no.

it was on December 25th for lack of a real date.

When in doubt, just make sh1t up!

Historians estimate that Jesus was born in September.

Hmm, yes, analyzing the weather and argriculture conditions around the time of Jesus's birth in the manger. Educated guess at best.

However, the tradition has been occuring for so long and has so many connections to winter that no one really cares to change it.

So, why celebrate Jesus's birth on a day when Jesus was never really born on said day?

Nags, you really don't understand too much about Church history. Jesus was not born during the winter; he was born during the spring. Constantine moved the birthdate of Christ to the 25th of December (the Winter Solstice of Pagan worship) in an attempt to convert more Pagans to Christianity. Quick need-to-know on Constantine: he passed the Edict of Milan in 313, which allowed freedom of religious worship. Christians celebrate it on the 25th because of tradition and the inability of the Catholic Church to correctly estimate Christ's true birthdate.
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2009 8:25:11 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/25/2009 8:18:26 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
Nags, you really don't understand too much about Church history.

...impress me...

Jesus was not born during the winter; he was born during the spring.

When did I ever say he was born at any time? And plus, how do you know he was born in the spring?

Constantine moved the birthdate of Christ to the 25th of December (the Winter Solstice of Pagan worship) in an attempt to convert more Pagans to Christianity. Quick need-to-know on Constantine: he passed the Edict of Milan in 313, which allowed freedom of religious worship.

Ok... cool story, bro. I never said anything to the contrary though.

Christians celebrate it on the 25th because of tradition and the inability of the Catholic Church to correctly estimate Christ's true birthdate.

Ok...?
studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2009 8:27:40 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/25/2009 8:25:11 PM, Nags wrote:
At 12/25/2009 8:18:26 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
Nags, you really don't understand too much about Church history.

...impress me...

Jesus was not born during the winter; he was born during the spring.

When did I ever say he was born at any time? And plus, how do you know he was born in the spring?

Constantine moved the birthdate of Christ to the 25th of December (the Winter Solstice of Pagan worship) in an attempt to convert more Pagans to Christianity. Quick need-to-know on Constantine: he passed the Edict of Milan in 313, which allowed freedom of religious worship.

Ok... cool story, bro. I never said anything to the contrary though.

Christians celebrate it on the 25th because of tradition and the inability of the Catholic Church to correctly estimate Christ's true birthdate.

Ok...?

Just trying to be informative, man. Didn't know that you didn't care for my post.
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2009 8:36:32 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/25/2009 8:27:40 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
Just trying to be informative, man. Didn't know that you didn't care for my post.

Well, you're the one who started off your post with "Nags, you really don't understand too much about Church history" so I was assuming you had a point to make. Apparently not.
johngriswald
Posts: 1,294
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2009 9:31:42 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/24/2009 5:38:14 PM, Rob1Billion wrote:
are you guys celebrating Christ's birthday, or the 5-10 other demigods that used that birthday before they invented Christianity?

Protip: there are 365 days in a year, more than 365 humans were born.
Having problems with the fans site? Suggestions? Can't log in? Forgot your password? Want to be an editor and write opinion pieces? PM Me and I'll get it sorted out.

ddofans.com
johngriswald
Posts: 1,294
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2009 9:33:45 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/25/2009 7:20:05 PM, tkubok wrote:
I went to church today. Instead of putting money on the collection plate, i took 10 bucks. I figure thats the amount of money i wasted buying a bus ticket and going over here.

Consider it a gift from the people who the money should have gone to.
Having problems with the fans site? Suggestions? Can't log in? Forgot your password? Want to be an editor and write opinion pieces? PM Me and I'll get it sorted out.

ddofans.com
johngriswald
Posts: 1,294
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2009 9:35:10 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/25/2009 7:54:11 PM, Nags wrote:
Can someone point me to the Bible verse where it says that Jesus was born on December 25th?

Protip: Jesus was probably born in the spring, however we celebrate Christmas on the 25th because some religious figure historically declared that's when it should be celebrated. No one really cares that much to celebrate it, as it has traditionally been christmas.
Having problems with the fans site? Suggestions? Can't log in? Forgot your password? Want to be an editor and write opinion pieces? PM Me and I'll get it sorted out.

ddofans.com
johngriswald
Posts: 1,294
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2009 9:37:40 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/25/2009 7:39:53 PM, MistahKurtz wrote:
I think I'll bash Christianity because something terrible happened to me in my childhood and I'm still bitter about it.

Oh ok.
Having problems with the fans site? Suggestions? Can't log in? Forgot your password? Want to be an editor and write opinion pieces? PM Me and I'll get it sorted out.

ddofans.com
johngriswald
Posts: 1,294
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2009 9:39:38 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/25/2009 7:59:20 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 12/25/2009 7:56:57 PM, tkubok wrote:
And the church is a horrible organization. I would feel no remorse if i were to rip off Mobsters, for example.

You're not ripping off 'mobsters', you're ripping off the individuals who put their money in that collection plate. That was a direct donation from others to the church, not profit the Church has made.

No he's ripping off whoever the money was supposed to be spent on. For my church it's to the soup kitchen, the can collection place, and our local homeless shelter.
Having problems with the fans site? Suggestions? Can't log in? Forgot your password? Want to be an editor and write opinion pieces? PM Me and I'll get it sorted out.

ddofans.com
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2009 11:08:59 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/25/2009 8:02:53 PM, tkubok wrote:
By that logic, im not ripping off "mobsters" when i steal or rip off from mobsters, i am ripping off the people who the Mobsters beat into submission and took the money from. The profit that mobsters made, im damn sure, also came from people who were beaten and were forced to pay up. Your point? Doesnt change the fact that it IS profit. The church makes money, its profit.

Were these people beaten by the Church? No. They gave their money willingly to them.

Would these people want their money back? No. They gave their money to the Church for a purpose.

So where the Hell do you get off stealing their money, money that was intended by them to go towards what they deemed proper. Hm? You have no justification except your own selfish attitude and a lack of judgment or any sense of what belongs to who.

For an atheist who likes to talk about getting respect from the religious, you certainly have a long way to go before you deserve it.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2009 11:22:57 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
If everyone admits it's a pagan holiday and not Jesus' birthday, why dont we actually celebrate the actual pagan holiday? People still put up the manger and say Christ is the reason for the season when clearly he is not. I say we ay least revert back to metaphoric sun worship (which is already the basis of Christianity anyways.)
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2009 11:27:04 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/26/2009 11:22:57 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
If everyone admits it's a pagan holiday and not Jesus' birthday, why dont we actually celebrate the actual pagan holiday? People still put up the manger and say Christ is the reason for the season when clearly he is not. I say we ay least revert back to metaphoric sun worship (which is already the basis of Christianity anyways.)

Because no one gives a crap about the pagan holiday anymore. Why celebrate something you have no attachment to nor care an iota about?

It might be a ripoff of a holiday, but it's apart of our culture now. It's evolved to be so much more than 'Christ's birthday'. People need to stop making such a huge deal over it.
Zetsubou
Posts: 4,933
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2009 11:43:08 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/26/2009 11:22:57 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
If everyone admits it's a pagan holiday and not Jesus' birthday, why dont we actually celebrate the actual pagan holiday? People still put up the manger and say Christ is the reason for the season when clearly he is not. I say we ay least revert back to metaphoric sun worship (which is already the basis of Christianity anyways.)

Please tell me how Christianity metaphoricly worships the sun. There are no characteristics between God and the Sun. "Light" X, "Heat" X, "Being Above" X*

*The Twhite-old-man-that-kinda looks-like-santa-in-the-clouds" idea is false one, it has, no real christian meaning, just a random cultural one.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Volkov
Posts: 9,765
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2009 11:59:11 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/26/2009 11:43:08 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
Please tell me how Christianity metaphoricly worships the sun. There are no characteristics between God and the Sun. "Light" X, "Heat" X, "Being Above" X*

Zetsubou, the Sun wasn't considered the 'big hot ball of gas' back in ancient times. It was considered a god, light-giver, maker, creator, etc. - the Sun was the epicenter of most religions, and in all played an important part.

So to say that the Sun doesn't feature greatly in Christianity is to disregard Christianity's history and myths. Think about it; God is considered 'above' in the sky; halo's are strikingly similar to the Sun, especially when they're presented in this kind of picture: http://www.bestweekever.tv... ; passages in the Bible call Jesus the 'Light of men' - capital-L, and that ain't no coincidence; Jesus 'rose up' in his Resurrection, and tell me, what other large figure throughout history is considered to 'rise up', and be resurrected after death? Oh, I know - the Sun!

The Sun is a feature of human life and history. If it doesn't play a part in a religious myth, then that religion isn't from Earth.
nickthengineer
Posts: 251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2009 12:13:50 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
@Volkov,

The reason Christians took over the pagan holiday was to try to convert pagans, as studentchristianathlete8 already pointed out. The reason why almost no one knows anything about that is because the Christians have been successful at it. That's why no one but hardcore pagans even considers worshiping the sun rather than sharing in the Christian-established tradition, giving presents.
I evolved from stupid. (http://www.debate.org...)