Jump to topic:

Is this still God?

gr33k_fr33k5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2013 6:23:16 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
So, I work at a cricket farm. Raising the adorable little insects is how I make my millions of dollars. As I threw away yet another tub of 10,000 crickets I thought to myself these crickets are really just simplified humans. They eat, sleep, and have tons of sex. To them though I must be a God. After all I can wipe them out without thinking about it. I also am the source of their sustenance. I raise them through their entire life cycle until I no longer need them and then throw them out. On top of this it must seem to their little crickety minds that I know everything, I give them food when they get hungry and right as they are old enough I start harvesting their eggs. Unless I was omniscient how could I possibly know all these things. On top of that I know things that they haven't even marveled at. Things they could never imagine. I am so much above this lowly creature that for all intents and purposes I may as well be a God.

All this is to say, what if religion is simply our way of serving our purpose to "God" who is indeed simply another being higher up on the food chain or mental chain or whatever chain you want. He understands things that our simple little human minds couldn't fathom. He lives for more years than we could fathom. And he can do things that we can only call miracles.

I HAVE DISCOVERED ALIENS!
I am free, free indeed!

ignorance is bliss
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2013 1:31:19 PM
At 10/10/2013 6:23:16 PM, gr33k_fr33k5 wrote:
So, I work at a cricket farm. Raising the adorable little insects is how I make my millions of dollars. As I threw away yet another tub of 10,000 crickets I thought to myself these crickets are really just simplified humans. They eat, sleep, and have tons of sex. To them though I must be a God. After all I can wipe them out without thinking about it. I also am the source of their sustenance. I raise them through their entire life cycle until I no longer need them and then throw them out. On top of this it must seem to their little crickety minds that I know everything, I give them food when they get hungry and right as they are old enough I start harvesting their eggs. Unless I was omniscient how could I possibly know all these things. On top of that I know things that they haven't even marveled at. Things they could never imagine. I am so much above this lowly creature that for all intents and purposes I may as well be a God.

SIMPSONS DID IT!

All this is to say, what if religion is simply our way of serving our purpose to "God" who is indeed simply another being higher up on the food chain or mental chain or whatever chain you want. He understands things that our simple little human minds couldn't fathom. He lives for more years than we could fathom. And he can do things that we can only call miracles.

"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
Fruitytree
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2013 1:42:59 PM

The crickets can see you, we cannot see God.

The crickets realise they need you for sustenance, we may live our lives without realising we depend on God Mercy.

You aren't the cause of the crickets existence, God is the cause of our existence.

Also if the chain you describe is true, it can't be infinite, and the existence of the chain needs an explanation.
gr33k_fr33k5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2013 3:57:03 PM
At 10/11/2013 1:42:59 PM, Fruitytree wrote:

The crickets can see you, we cannot see God.

Can they though? They certainly understand that I could destroy them and in that sense fear me. Yet they don't see me as their provider. Is this not true of many human's relationship to God? It is arguable that while we may not see a physical manifestation of God in our daily lives we see Him all around us and his handywork

The crickets realise they need you for sustenance, we may live our lives without realising we depend on God Mercy.

They realize they need water, they realize they need food. However, they do not realize that I am the sole provider of such things.

You aren't the cause of the crickets existence, God is the cause of our existence.

I am just as much a cause of the cricket's existence as God is of my personal existence.

Also if the chain you describe is true, it can't be infinite, and the existence of the chain needs an explanation.

I am proposing a different view on the nature of God as we see him. I didn't claim an infinite chain, however to the crickets do I not seem to be an infinite being?
I am free, free indeed!

ignorance is bliss