Jump to topic:

Historian Claims Romans Invented Christianity

Magic8000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2013 8:15:34 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Scholar Joseph Atwill claims he has evidence from an ancient confession that claims they invented the religion of Christianity.

http://www.prweb.com...

I really want to see this evidence, because I'm very skeptical. I guess Atwill had this idea for a while but never had any proof.

Christians, if this evidence is valid, will it affect your faith?
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

"So Magic8000 believes Einstein was a proctologist who was persuaded by the Government and Hitler to fabricate the Theory of Relativity"- GWL-CPA
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2013 8:33:04 PM
At 10/11/2013 8:15:34 PM, Magic8000 wrote:
Scholar Joseph Atwill claims he has evidence from an ancient confession that claims they invented the religion of Christianity.

I really want to see this evidence, because I'm very skeptical. I guess Atwill had this idea for a while but never had any proof.

If by evidence being valid you mean the prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the entire story of Jesus was made up then I think every Christian would have to say it affects their faith. It said in the article that many scholars find the idea far fetched and I'm no scholar but it does seem pretty far fetched haha.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2013 9:00:13 PM
"Scholar Joseph Atwill ...

Mr. Atwill only "scholarship" is self-proclaimed. He is not a scholar in the usual sense of the word. He is an author.

"... claims ..."

Mr. Atwill has been making this same claim for years.

How strange that the very man who has been advancing this claim now discovers his own evidence to support it.

" .... ancient confession that claims they invented the religion of Christianity ..."

There is too much internal evidence in the Bible against it. It's like saying that Christians wrote the Koran.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Bullish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2013 9:01:12 PM

Their book is already a sketchy compilation. I doubt something as *insignificant* as this will sway a single Christian.
0x5f3759df
Magic8000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2013 10:32:39 PM
At 10/11/2013 8:33:04 PM, stubs wrote:

If by evidence being valid you mean the prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the entire story of Jesus was made up then I think every Christian would have to say it affects their faith. It said in the article that many scholars find the idea far fetched and I'm no scholar but it does seem pretty far fetched haha.

I'm no scholar either and it does sound like a far fetched LSD trip idea. Some Christians like William Lane Craig would say it wouldn't affect them, because he says the conviction of the holy spirit is too strong.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

"So Magic8000 believes Einstein was a proctologist who was persuaded by the Government and Hitler to fabricate the Theory of Relativity"- GWL-CPA
Magic8000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2013 10:32:42 PM
At 10/11/2013 9:00:13 PM, annanicole wrote:
" .... ancient confession that claims they invented the religion of Christianity ..."

There is too much internal evidence in the Bible against it. It's like saying that Christians wrote the Koran.

This is completely circular.

annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2013 12:39:52 AM
At 10/11/2013 10:32:42 PM, Magic8000 wrote:

This is completely circular.

I meant it to be circular, as is the question, "if Satan casteth out Satan, he is divided against himself; how then shall his kingdom stand?" To claim that people sympathetic to the Caesars authored the New Testament, one would need to explain the antiRoman allusions, including calling the emperors all the way back to Julius "beasts".
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Sargon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2013 2:29:20 PM
Joseph Atwill is not a scholar. I continue to be frustrated with this description of him. He lacks any relevant degree in the field of history. He does not have a PhD, a masters, a bachelors, or even an associates, in any area of history. He is a computer science student. His only claim to expertise is to have studied Christianity on his own, which is as convincing as Nephilmfree's claim to have studied biology on his own, leading to the conclusion that creationism is true. Even the scholars who believe that Jesus didn't exist, like Carrier, Price, and others, think he's a crank and a hack.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2013 3:31:09 PM
When Robert Price says someone is being farfetched about their mythical interpretation of Jesus, it's a big red flag.

The simplest rebuttal is this:

If the Bible were a single concerted effort, why the hell is it so riddled with inconsistencies?
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2013 4:50:22 PM

Christian roots started with antichrists ( sinners under the Old Covenant ) who stole the spoken and written words of God's saints and used them for their own benefit to control some people and make a living off of their contributions. All us saints are made homeless by our Creator and are given food, clothes and places to sleep without much money needed. Our flesh becomes a testimony to our invisible created existence called the Word of God so everything we do, write and speak comes directly from the mind of our Creator without any deception.

The religious Jews who couldn't understand the testimonies of the saints became jealous of all the believers who were listening to the gospel that the saints spoke. These believers became good friends with the saints and caused a lot of fear in the unbelieving Jews. Eventually, the Jews forced the Roman government to pass a law against the gospel that the saints preached. This law was the reason all the rest of the saints were killed by the time Rome formed a religious government called the Vatican.

A Roman leader named Constantine was commissioned by the Roman goverment to make new laws to conform all the Christ-like churches formed by antichrists who preached false gospels with words they stole from the saints. Anyone speaking for God who has no authority to do so is called an antichrist and the saints knew about these false prophets. They were warning their believers about these Christ-like churches that preached false gospels.

Once the Vatican began enforcing their new laws to conform all these churches and their members into the Roman Catholic Church, many of these members ( later called Christians ) were killed by the Roman government when they resisted these laws. Many of the true believers of the saints gospel were killed too, because they would have resisted these Catholic laws that forced all false Christians and believers to worship the false gospels and religious sayings of the Pope and his bishops, cardinals, priests and so forth.

The Roman Catholic Church became the official church of all Christianity according to the Roman Vatican laws but not by the laws of God that only us saints can abide by.

The Roman religious leaders thought they had killed ALL the true saints but they didn't understand that God would use one last saint in the last days to reveal what really happened during those early centuries of God's saints preaching the true gospel. That last saint happens to be the one who is writing this testimony.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2013 4:59:56 PM
"Scholar Joseph Atwill ...

Mr. Atwill only "scholarship" is self-proclaimed. He is not a scholar in the usual sense of the word. He is an author.

"... claims ..."

Mr. Atwill has been making this same claim for years.

How strange that the very man who has been advancing this claim now discovers his own evidence to support it.

God doesn't need much evidence to reveal the past, present and future through HIs last saint that's writing this sentence. He has taught me what happened to the true saints and the antichrists who started the false Christ-like churches with stolen words from the gospel that the early saints spoke and some of their writings were stolen, also. These antichrists were the ones who actually started the Christian movement with false gospels and their own laws that were eventually controlled by the Vatican that Rome set up to form new laws for all the Christ-like churches.

Any true believer who had strong convictions after listening to a true saint's gospel would have disobeyed the Vatican laws and got killed by the Roman government who were enforcing those laws. That's because Christianity became the official false religion of the Roman Empire and was used to control all the religious people in their kingdom. Many people who didn't conform to the laws of the Vatican were tortured and/or killed, including many true believers.

Christianity is a false religion that came from the beast that Daniel wrote about. The "feet of iron and clay" wrote about in Daniel 2: 36-45 describes the Roman Catholic Church and all the Protestant Churches that came later on starting around 1100 a.d. The "ten toes of iron and clay" were the european kingdoms that gave their power over to the Vatican and in return, the Vatican had their armies go out and conquer the world with their false gospels and false Jesus as god besides their virgin Mary.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2013 6:15:53 PM
borno: "God doesn't need much evidence to reveal the past, present and future through HIs last saint that's writing this sentence."

Anna: When is the date of your supposed execution?
thg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2013 8:02:12 PM
At 10/13/2013 10:16:56 AM, Graincruncher wrote:
Not soon enough...

Ha Ha! I don't wish bornofgod any harm, and I do wish him all the best, and Graincruncher and I have our share of disagreements, but may I just say that Graincruncher's sense of humor trumps pretty much every disagreement we've ever had. And Annanicole runs a close second.