Total Posts:7|Showing Posts:1-7
Jump to topic:

Wars were probably fought over this, but...

themohawkninja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2013 6:11:26 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Every time I hear highly religious people proclaim that things were "an act of God", or "divine intervention", how do they know it was their religions deity, and not another religions' deity, or maybe nobody's deity at all?

This would appear to be a logical fallacy, as they claim that an event/many events were all caused by one/a set of deities. This would seem to fall under the definition of an Existential fallacy.
"Morals are simply a limit to man's potential."~Myself

Political correctness is like saying you can't have a steak, because a baby can't eat one ~Unknown
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2013 7:43:52 PM
At 10/19/2013 6:11:26 PM, themohawkninja wrote:
Every time I hear highly religious people proclaim that things were "an act of God", or "divine intervention", how do they know it was their religions deity, and not another religions' deity, or maybe nobody's deity at all?

Well, they've already reasoned (to their satisfaction) that no other deity exists, and that theirs does exist. They also have, presumably, rejected naturalistic causes of events.

This would appear to be a logical fallacy, as they claim that an event/many events were all caused by one/a set of deities. This would seem to fall under the definition of an Existential fallacy.

No. Probably an enthymeme, though.

(God exists)
Only God could have caused event X
Event X happened.

Therefore event X was caused by God.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2013 7:57:47 PM

You are assuming that religions follow the rules of logic, which is IMHO a fallacy on your part.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
themohawkninja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2013 8:00:31 PM
At 10/19/2013 7:57:47 PM, wrichcirw wrote:

You are assuming that religions follow the rules of logic, which is IMHO a fallacy on your part.

I'm not assuming that the religion follows logic, I am assuming that the people who follow it understand logic. I mean, either way it's a fallacy. Maybe the reason why nobody seems to ask the question is that those people are the ones that become atheists/deists.

Political correctness is like saying you can't have a steak, because a baby can't eat one ~Unknown
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2013 8:02:17 PM
At 10/19/2013 8:00:31 PM, themohawkninja wrote:
At 10/19/2013 7:57:47 PM, wrichcirw wrote:

I'm not assuming that the religion follows logic, I am assuming that the people who follow it understand logic. I mean, either way it's a fallacy. Maybe the reason why nobody seems to ask the question is that those people are the ones that become atheists/deists.

You are assuming that the people who follow a religion care about logic when applied to their beliefs.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2013 8:07:48 PM
ALL religions have the (ahem) loving example of the xtian jealous god as their benchmark to follow at will -

But as for these enemies of mine, who did not want me to reign over them, bring them here and slaughter them before me."" Luke 19:27 English Standard Version/ESV Story book
themohawkninja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2013 8:13:36 PM
At 10/19/2013 8:07:48 PM, Composer wrote:
"... who did not want me to reign over them, bring them here and slaughter them before me."

That kind of scares me.