Jump to topic:

Examples of Good Debates on Religion

NiqashMotawadi3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2013 7:57:31 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I'm not certain if this would get any feedback, but I would like to have a thread for any legendary/excellent/good debates that fall under this genre.

The purpose of this thread is namely having people from different faiths and lack of faiths thereof learning from each other and keeping a record of good debates they want others to read.

I await your responses.
Thanks in advance,
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2013 1:14:55 AM
At 10/23/2013 7:57:31 PM, NiqashMotawadi3 wrote:
I'm not certain if this would get any feedback, but I would like to have a thread for any legendary/excellent/good debates that fall under this genre.

The purpose of this thread is namely having people from different faiths and lack of faiths thereof learning from each other and keeping a record of good debates they want others to read.

I await your responses.
Thanks in advance,

While I can't think of any such debates completely off-hand, I think it would be a great idea. The problem will be getting people to approach this rationally rather than emotionally. I'd be very interested in a successful outcome.
NiqashMotawadi3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2013 2:17:42 AM
While I can't think of any such debates completely off-hand, I think it would be a great idea. The problem will be getting people to approach this rationally rather than emotionally. I'd be very interested in a successful outcome.

Even if people were emotional, we can at least determine the effect of emotions and confirmation biases on rational thinking. Think of this also as an experiment.
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2013 7:11:41 PM
At 10/24/2013 2:17:42 AM, NiqashMotawadi3 wrote:

Even if people were emotional, we can at least determine the effect of emotions and confirmation biases on rational thinking. Think of this also as an experiment.

Okay . . . that sounds good so far. So what are you proposing, exactly? That we start a debate? Look for other debates which we find interesting and paste them here? Simply discuss our own stances and observations on the various religions or lack thereof? There would need to be at least a few basic ground rules as well, such as keeping it nice and respectful. It's your question; what would you propose?
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2013 7:13:40 PM
"I'm not certain if this would get any feedback, but I would like to have a thread for any legendary/excellent/good debates that fall under this genre."

You are referring to debates held outside of DDO, aren't you?
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
NiqashMotawadi3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2013 7:31:00 PM
Okay . . . that sounds good so far. So what are you proposing, exactly? That we start a debate? Look for other debates which we find interesting and paste them here? Simply discuss our own stances and observations on the various religions or lack thereof? There would need to be at least a few basic ground rules as well, such as keeping it nice and respectful. It's your question; what would you propose?

Look for other debates that are interesting such as ones you might have read long ago.
NiqashMotawadi3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2013 7:31:54 PM
You are referring to debates held outside of DDO, aren't you?

Doesn't matter. Debates here or outside. I just want good-quality debates. Sorry for not being very clear.
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2013 7:33:45 PM
At 10/24/2013 7:31:00 PM, NiqashMotawadi3 wrote:

Look for other debates that are interesting such as ones you might have read long ago.

I might know a few good places to look. I'll give them a try. BTW...what about quotes?
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2013 8:02:22 PM
At 10/24/2013 7:36:00 PM, NiqashMotawadi3 wrote:
I might know a few good places to look. I'll give them a try. BTW...what about quotes?

Quotes would be great too. Thanks for your effort. :D

Religion is the organization of spirituality into something that became the hand maiden of conquerors. Nearly all religions were brought to people and imposed on people by conquerors, and used as the framework to control their minds.
John Henrik Clarke

This is one of my favorite quotes...