Jump to topic:

Sanctity of life

Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2013 8:08:25 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Some people claim that life is sacred...........cause of God..........some how.

George Carlin makes some observations about the "sanctity of life" as both concept and in practice.

He concludes that the "sanctity of life" is a man made concept derived from self interest.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2013 11:30:10 PM
At 10/26/2013 7:40:51 AM, Fruitytree wrote:
Only the life owner can make life sacred.

What does it mean to make something "sacred" ?
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Mysterious_Stranger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2013 3:56:47 AM
No life is sacred, we are but valueless beings using religion to give our vain selves some kind of worth.
Turn around, go back.
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2013 4:26:47 AM
At 10/27/2013 3:56:47 AM, Mysterious_Stranger wrote:
No life is sacred, we are but valueless beings using religion to give our vain selves some kind of worth.
Actually I am not without value & my Mom values me greatly along with others; as I also genuinely value them!

I don't require any religion for anything other than an opportunity to benevolently teach these ' religious dupes ' their unambiguous foolishness, invariably using their own supposed ammunition to destroy them & religion is useful as my periodic amusement!

So called believers however lust for Story book promises of divine rewards so they will say they believe but take away those promises or ask them to believe without them & they run for cover! (Easily provable BYW!)
Cool_Screen_Name
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2013 1:46:52 PM
What is "Sacred"? According to Wikipedia, it's "Sacred means revered due to association with holiness". Really? If that's the case, then life is nowhere near sacred. But, since "sacred" is a word that you are allowed to put your spin on, as it is an adjective, if I mean it to be "just revered" or "something extra-ordinary", then life is "sacred", as it just does not pop up in every corner of the universe. You could say a planet has to be "sacred" to support life. Yeah, so we can call life "sacred".
So, Is my life "sacred"? Is your life "sacred"? I'd like to think it's not... You or me are not important, but the phenomenon of life is... Thus, we can remove the "Self-Interest" part from the "Sanctity of life", can't we?
That Awkward Moment when your sarcasm is so advanced, that people actually think you're stupid - - - - My Life is full of 'em...