Jump to topic:

Martin Luther's wisdom.

Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2013 5:43:41 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
"If [women] become tired or even die, that does not matter. Let them die in childbirth--that is why they are there."

"Reason must be deluded, blinded, and destroyed. Faith must trample underfoot all reason, sense, and understanding, and whatever it sees must be put out of sight and ... know nothing but the word of God."

"Sin cannot tear you away from him [Christ], even though you commit adultery a hundred times a day and commit as many murders."

(Admittedly these are controversial and haven't been sourced, but wow).
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2013 8:00:48 PM
1 and 2 I admit are...special. However, I would say that 3 makes perfect sense.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
themohawkninja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2013 8:06:39 PM
At 10/26/2013 5:43:41 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
"If [women] become tired or even die, that does not matter. Let them die in childbirth--that is why they are there."

Well, yeah, that's why women exist (on a fundamental biological level), but you shouldn't let them die, lest the father die as well, and no God-parents are declared. The child would die as well.

"Reason must be deluded, blinded, and destroyed. Faith must trample underfoot all reason, sense, and understanding, and whatever it sees must be put out of sight and ... know nothing but the word of God."

*loses respect for MLK*

"Sin cannot tear you away from him [Christ], even though you commit adultery a hundred times a day and commit as many murders."

Isn't that a bit hypocritical, seeing as MLK was vying for a pacifistic approach to black rights?

These better be false.
"Morals are simply a limit to man's potential."~Myself

Political correctness is like saying you can't have a steak, because a baby can't eat one ~Unknown
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2013 8:08:49 PM
At 10/26/2013 8:06:39 PM, themohawkninja wrote:

Well, yeah, that's why women exist (on a fundamental biological level), but you shouldn't let them die, lest the father die as well, and no God-parents are declared. The child would die as well.

*loses respect for MLK*

Isn't that a bit hypocritical, seeing as MLK was vying for a pacifistic approach to black rights?

These better be false.

I think he is talking about Martin Luther, not Martin Luther King. The former does warrant my respect for the stand he took against papal abuses, while the latter was a paid agitator.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
themohawkninja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2013 8:11:32 PM
At 10/26/2013 8:08:49 PM, annanicole wrote:

*loses respect for MLK*

These better be false.

I think he is talking about Martin Luther, not Martin Luther King. The former does warrant my respect for the stand he took against papal abuses, while the latter was a paid agitator.

Ah, good point. I did assume that it was King, when it only says Martin Luther. Either way, my general points remain (instead of black rights, it would be the Protestant Reformation).

Political correctness is like saying you can't have a steak, because a baby can't eat one ~Unknown
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2013 8:15:26 PM

*loses respect for MLK*

These better be false.

Thread officially derailed, sorry Eltan. But:

Martin Luther King. Paid agitator? I'm sorry, I really am, but come on, now. He was an "agitator?" The man was fighting the establishment of the South, yes, but he 1) did so nonviolently, and 2) was doing something that was ENTIRELY necessary (in the broadstrokes, not really the specific policies he advocated). Of course, I don't have the worship of him as the magical man who led all the blacks to freedom and everything was merry. But come on: the claim he was just an agitator is ludicrous. It's also operating under the assumption that the establishment is prima facie good and not to be challenged or "agitated."

Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2013 8:44:58 PM
Anyone who said Martin Luther King, Jr. should go cry in a corner for their wasted lives. What. The. Fvck. I don't confuse Mohammed Morsi with the prophet Muhammed.
themohawkninja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2013 8:51:09 PM
At 10/26/2013 8:44:58 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
Anyone who said Martin Luther King, Jr. should go cry in a corner for their wasted lives. What. The. Fvck. I don't confuse Mohammed Morsi with the prophet Muhammed.

You are comparing a name that has two more words to it than another to two names that are spelled differently.

The better analogy would have been the prophet Muhammad, to Muhammad Ali. People could see the word Muhammad, and think of Ali, instead of the prophet, just as I thought it was MLK than the reformer.

Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2013 8:54:10 PM
At 10/26/2013 8:51:09 PM, themohawkninja wrote:

You are comparing a name that has two more words to it than another to two names that are spelled differently.

The better analogy would have been the prophet Muhammad, to Muhammad Ali. People could see the word Muhammad, and think of Ali, instead of the prophet, just as I thought it was MLK than the reformer.

But I think it's fairly obvious that it wasn't about MLK. Wasn't America settled by protestants? That's like a Jew confusing Moses with Maimonides.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2013 8:58:20 PM
At 10/26/2013 8:54:10 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:

But I think it's fairly obvious that it wasn't about MLK. Wasn't America settled by protestants? That's like a Jew confusing Moses with Maimonides.

No, I think that Martin Luther and Martin Luther King are easily confused when reading, especially seeing as how King is much more strong within the US' collective consciousness than Luther.

But, putting that aside, there really is no call for you to be judgmental about it.

themohawkninja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2013 8:58:56 PM
At 10/26/2013 8:54:10 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:

This has nothing to do with America or Jews.

You were talking about a person with the words "Martin" and "Luther" in their name, and they were highly religious. Both Martin Luther, and Martin Luther King Jr. fall under that.

annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2013 11:49:12 PM
At 10/26/2013 8:15:26 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

*loses respect for MLK*

These better be false.

Thread officially derailed, sorry Eltan. But:

Martin Luther King. Paid agitator? I'm sorry, I really am, but come on, now. He was an "agitator?" The man was fighting the establishment of the South, yes, but he 1) did so nonviolently, and 2) was doing something that was ENTIRELY necessary (in the broadstrokes, not really the specific policies he advocated). Of course, I don't have the worship of him as the magical man who led all the blacks to freedom and everything was merry. But come on: the claim he was just an agitator is ludicrous. It's also operating under the assumption that the establishment is prima facie good and not to be challenged or "agitated."

Yeah, he was a paid agitator and did what he could/where he could to provoke a response, whether violent or not. I suppose someone who does all he can to incite a response could aptly be called an agitator. Furthermore, he created situations strategically to evoke the greatest response (and most dramatic media coverage). To claim that he was not a paid agitator is what is ludicrous. Why do you think that the FBI files are sealed until 2027 - 60 years after his death. His family, by the way, endorsed the secrecy. It is true that he officially advocated non-violence on the one hand, while developing strategies that he knew would lead to violence on the other. It's like the Surgeon General issuing warnings on smoking, while he owns a tobacco farm and invests the profits in Philip Morris.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."