Texas Sharpshooter

MysticEgg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2013 3:51:37 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Hello, everyone!

I've been thinking about some God debates on debate.org, and I've realised that one of the main things that comes up is "there are scientific miracles in the Bible/Qu'ran/Torah/Gruffalo" etc... I'd just like to outline what this actually is.

If you were to highlight every single claim made by a Holy book and cross out everything that was just wrong, all you'd have left were the obvious statements (e.g God is all powerful, as defined), and the "scientific miracles". [That is, scientific knowledge that could "only have been revealed by God"]

This employs something called the Texas Sharpshooter fallacy and employs hindsight bias. It's where you "shoot a ring" around all the good bits and leave out all the bad bits, or wave them away as metaphors. For every claimed scientific miracle there are ten ridiculous statements that are causally explained away. (In reality there are no scientific miracles but hey ho...)

So, everyone, just be careful when shooting those rings!

Thanks,
J
iamanatheistandthisiswhy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2013 8:24:24 AM
If you were to highlight every single claim made by a Holy book and cross out everything that was just wrong, all you'd have left were the obvious statements (e.g. God is all powerful, as defined), and the "scientific miracles". [That is, scientific knowledge that could "only have been revealed by God"]

It is amazing that the so called scientific miracles are still used as an argument for testable claims about holy books. Like you said everyone I have ever looked at has been shown to be wrong,and those miracles like the sun shines are not really miracles. The only thing that happened was the author burned their corneas.
MysticEgg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2013 8:42:58 AM
At 10/28/2013 8:24:24 AM, iamanatheistandthisiswhy wrote:
If you were to highlight every single claim made by a Holy book and cross out everything that was just wrong, all you'd have left were the obvious statements (e.g. God is all powerful, as defined), and the "scientific miracles". [That is, scientific knowledge that could "only have been revealed by God"]

The only thing that happened was the author burned their corneas.

Lol
Cool_Screen_Name
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2013 1:25:45 PM
There are "Scientific Miracles"??? Really?!
That Awkward Moment when your sarcasm is so advanced, that people actually think you're stupid - - - - My Life is full of 'em...