Jump to topic:

You are God: Write your own 10 commandments

muslimnomore
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 8:11:06 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Here are mine. Do you think they are better than the original 10 commandments?
1. It's ok if you don't believe that I exist. In fact, I don't really care what you believe about me or anyone else, as long as you don't hurt anyone.
2. Let other people believe what they want to believe. Participate in their festivals. Respect and enjoy their celebrations. Don't worry, I won't be jealous.
3. Take care of your health and the health of others as much as you can.
4. Try not to be wasteful.
5. Always make decisions that will lead to the least amount of suffering for everyone, to the best of your ability and understanding.
6. Put yourself in the other person's shoes before you make any decisions.
7. Don't spend money you don't have on things you don't need to impress people you don't like.
8. Do what your heart tells you is right, even if people hate you for it.
9. Try your best to take time out every day to release stress and forget about your worries.
10. Don't be afraid to tell people you love them and care for them as much as often as possible.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 9:27:22 PM
If I was god there would be no need of commandments.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2013 12:16:11 AM
At 11/6/2013 8:11:06 PM, muslimnomore wrote:
1. It's ok if you don't believe that I exist. In fact, I don't really care what you believe about me or anyone else, as long as you don't hurt anyone.
2. Let other people believe what they want to believe. Participate in their festivals. Respect and enjoy their celebrations. Don't worry, I won't be jealous.
5. Always make decisions that will lead to the least amount of suffering for everyone, to the best of your ability and understanding.
7. Don't spend money you don't have on things you don't need to impress people you don't like.
9. Try your best to take time out every day to release stress and forget about your worries.
10. Don't be afraid to tell people you love them and care for them as much as often as possible.

LOL. It's funny because I truly believe those are what God's commandments are.
Naysayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2013 8:42:54 AM

Humanism. It's like religion, only I get to be God.
muslimnomore
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2013 6:55:40 PM
At 11/7/2013 12:16:11 AM, Romanii wrote:

LOL. It's funny because I truly believe those are what God's commandments are.

God and I are soulmates!
muslimnomore
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2013 6:56:42 PM
At 11/7/2013 8:42:54 AM, Naysayer wrote:

except the all-powerful part
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2013 7:30:26 PM

I think you misunderstand humanism. There is no God in humanism.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2013 8:55:58 PM
At 11/7/2013 7:30:26 PM, muzebreak wrote:

Uhhhh I think YOU misunderstand Humanism. What you are talking about is called "Atheism". Humanism was a concept developed during the Renaissance which combined Classical Greek Philosophies with Christian teachings. Humanism DID encourage secular thinking and a more materialistic view of the universe, thereby lessening the IMPORTANCE of religion in European society. However, Humanists were still Christian and still considered themselves under the jurisdiction of the Catholic Church (until the Protestant Reformation).
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2013 9:02:57 PM

Actually most of these sound like very good goals to set, but we all know that without some discipline it all falls apart. Communism would be a wonderful form of government if all the people were sincere and self-motivated enough to make it so.
Naysayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2013 5:58:04 AM

Right.
Naysayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2013 6:01:30 AM
At 11/7/2013 6:56:42 PM, muslimnomore wrote:

Not all gods have been defined as all-powerful. That's not a necessary trait to religion.

Although if you read some humanist literature, it actually does define humans as all-powerful, at least in rhetoric.

"There's NOTHING we can't accomplish if we work together."
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2013 7:48:52 AM
At 11/8/2013 6:01:30 AM, Naysayer wrote:

Not all gods have been defined as all-powerful. That's not a necessary trait to religion.

Although if you read some humanist literature, it actually does define humans as all-powerful, at least in rhetoric.

So what is humanism.

I don't believe in your god or anybody elses god.

Does that make me a humanist. (fvck you people love labels, it must be the god in you)
Naysayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2013 8:27:51 AM
At 11/8/2013 7:48:52 AM, bulproof wrote:

So what is humanism.

Does that make me a humanist. (fvck you people love labels, it must be the god in you)

You people love labels. Classic.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2013 8:56:01 AM
At 11/8/2013 8:27:51 AM, Naysayer wrote:

So what is humanism.

Run off and tell mummy about the boy who makes fun of your stupidity, mummy will kiss it better for you.
Naysayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2013 9:05:23 AM
At 11/8/2013 8:56:01 AM, bulproof wrote:

So what is humanism.

Run off and tell mummy about the boy who makes fun of your stupidity, mummy will kiss it better for you.

Actually, I figured I'd hang around and answer your question first. Not believing in God doesn't make you a humanist. Believing in the superiority of man or the ability of man to solve all problems or the brotherhood of man or whatever other similar, tired out philosophy you use to replace God once you convince yourself He doesn't exist to justify your existence.

Basically, it boils down to, "Oh, no! I've eliminated all obligation for any form of moral existence. How do I fix it before everyone decides it's ok to plunder and slaughter lame, little internet trolls and philosophy grads who have no other purpose in life.

It might just be demonstrated by the attempt to improve on the works of God (such as the ten commandments) with the blatant implication that we have come up with something better than that silly, outdated God ever could.

And really, you're actually one of the most amusing people on here and not as intimidating as you seem to think you are, sunshine. *pats head*

Now I'll go run off to my mummy.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2013 9:18:45 AM
At 11/8/2013 9:05:23 AM, Naysayer wrote:

So what is humanism.

Actually, I figured I'd hang around and answer your question first. Not believing in God doesn't make you a humanist. Believing in the superiority of man or the ability of man to solve all problems or the brotherhood of man or whatever other similar, tired out philosophy you use to replace God once you convince yourself He doesn't exist to justify your existence.

Basically, it boils down to, "Oh, no! I've eliminated all obligation for any form of moral existence. How do I fix it before everyone decides it's ok to plunder and slaughter lame, little internet trolls and philosophy grads who have no other purpose in life.

It might just be demonstrated by the attempt to improve on the works of God (such as the ten commandments) with the blatant implication that we have come up with something better than that silly, outdated God ever could.

And really, you're actually one of the most amusing people on here and not as intimidating as you seem to think you are, sunshine. *pats head*

Yes you should have run off before that sook. The 14 commandments ( adjusted for sincerity) actually came from your invisible friend? Wow, was this when the non existent Exodus took place.

Did you know that if bugs bunny had taken the correct turn at Albuquerque he would have been at Pizmo Beach ?

It's amazing, ain't it?

Say hello to mom for me, between your sobs.
Naysayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2013 9:22:09 AM
At 11/8/2013 9:18:45 AM, bulproof wrote:

So what is humanism.

Yes you should have run off before that sook. The 14 commandments ( adjusted for sincerity) actually came from your invisible friend? Wow, was this when the non existent Exodus took place.

Did you know that if bugs bunny had taken the correct turn at Albuquerque he would have been at Pizmo Beach ?

It's amazing, ain't it?

I did know that. And spoiler alert. He's not really dead. He just tricked Elmer into thinking he was. I love that Viking opera scene.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2013 9:28:01 AM
At 11/8/2013 9:22:09 AM, Naysayer wrote:

So what is humanism.

It's amazing, ain't it?

I did know that. And spoiler alert. He's not really dead. He just tricked Elmer into thinking he was. I love that Viking opera scene.

Yeah ya just gotta love fictional stories like cartoons, but the bible is almost as good as Looney Toons.

It's just the writers had no concept of continuity. They screwed up the plots all the time. But they tried.

They should have got themselves a guiding hand, ahh well too late now.
Naysayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2013 9:31:08 AM
At 11/8/2013 9:28:01 AM, bulproof wrote:

So what is humanism.

It's amazing, ain't it?

Yeah ya just gotta love fictional stories like cartoons, but the bible is almost as good as Looney Toons.

It's just the writers had no concept of continuity. They screwed up the plots all the time. But they tried.

No. You're wrong there. The Bible is definitely consistent and it's the truth. It's still funny listening to people that claim there is no moral absolute, but there are things that are wrong or immoral. Talk about inconsistencies.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2013 11:03:05 AM
At 11/8/2013 9:31:08 AM, Naysayer wrote:
At 11/8/2013 9:28:01 AM, bulproof wrote:

So what is humanism.

It's amazing, ain't it?

No. You're wrong there. The Bible is definitely consistent and it's the truth. It's still funny listening to people that claim there is no moral absolute, but there are things that are wrong or immoral. Talk about inconsistencies.

Man has never done anything wrong in this world. God is the Creator of man and all his experiences called life. This means that God's people are always doing God's will, which is His plan. However, man believes in God's strong delusion that makes him believe he's doing wrong. This delusion is called the "tree of the knowledge of good and evil" that hides the "tree of life".

Genesis 3
24: He drove out the man; and at the east of the garden of Eden he placed the cherubim, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to guard the way to the tree of life.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2013 6:31:06 PM
At 11/8/2013 5:58:04 AM, Naysayer wrote:

Right.

Ok, so you agree your statement about humanism was incorrect?
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2013 9:46:58 PM

So what is humanism.

So, if it weren't for your belief in God, that's what it is you'd be doing? Why can't you refrain from wholesale carnage for no other reason than you value the lives of other human beings? Why do you have to have some religion instill the fear of God in you, to keep you from a bloodthirsty rampage?

medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2013 10:29:01 AM

lol...that's definitely a sig-worthy comment.
muslimnomore
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2013 1:54:07 PM
At 11/9/2013 1:50:28 PM, abyteofbrain wrote:
Here's mine;
1 uh
2 um
3 hmm
4 idk
5 like me
6 be nice
7 uh
8 idk
9 hmm
10 um

brilliant
Naysayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2013 5:05:28 PM
At 11/8/2013 6:31:06 PM, muzebreak wrote:
At 11/8/2013 5:58:04 AM, Naysayer wrote:

Right.

Ok, so you agree your statement about humanism was incorrect?

No. Not at all. That's exactly what humanism is.

And his claim that I accused him of being a humanist because he's an atheist is incorrect.
Naysayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2013 5:06:52 PM
At 11/8/2013 9:46:58 PM, s-anthony wrote:

So what is humanism.

So, if it weren't for your belief in God, that's what it is you'd be doing? Why can't you refrain from wholesale carnage for no other reason than you value the lives of other human beings? Why do you have to have some religion instill the fear of God in you, to keep you from a bloodthirsty rampage?

I'm sorry. What wholesale carnage am I involved in? Bigoted much?
alexnotmurfs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2013 7:29:34 PM
Love these!

s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2013 7:49:42 PM
At 11/11/2013 5:06:52 PM, Naysayer wrote:
At 11/8/2013 9:46:58 PM, s-anthony wrote:

So what is humanism.

I'm sorry. What wholesale carnage am I involved in? Bigoted much?

Your belief the only reason people even have a modicum of decency is because of their religious beliefs. Or, does that apply to everyone, except for you?