Jump to topic:

"Islamic" and "Muslim" in DDO

NiqashMotawadi3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2013 2:22:44 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
DDO's religion's drop-down menu has both "Islamic" and "Muslim." I don't really see the difference between them.

If it is meant for Islamic sects not included in the menu, then there already is "Muslim" which is general enough to contain such Islamic sects, even the minorities such as Bahaais, Ahmadies, Druze, Alawites, Ismaelis, etc.

I've never met in my life anyone who claims he is "Islamic" but not "Muslim." This sounds absurd to me.

N,
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2013 3:03:25 PM
I've never known what the difference, if any, is. And it took me forever to distinguish between Hebrews, Israelites, and Jews - and I still use the words interchangeably.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
muslimnomore
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2013 6:14:06 PM
Indeed it is quite clear that when you describe yourself as a Muslim, it means you are "Islamic".
In my opinion, using the latter term usually demonstrates a lack of knowledge about Islam. In my experience, people who use "Islamic" instead of "Muslim" are often not aware that followers of Islam are called Muslims. Also, the suffix "-ic" is often reserved for adjectives as opposed to nouns.

It is funny that you should raise this point however, because I have heard some Muslims explain that Pakistan is a country full of Muslims but it does not deserve to be called an 'Islamic' Republic (Pakistan's official name is the Islamic Republic of Pakistan), because the government does not apply the Shariah.
Many Muslims, when explaining why Muslim-majority countries are in such terrible shape, will say that there might be countries with a lot of Muslims but that they are not Islamic states.

This video alludes to (to some extent) what I am talking about:

Of course, in this context, I agree that a person who calls himself Muslim will not disagree that he/she is "Islamic".