Jump to topic:

The bible is not inherent.

Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2013 2:42:40 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Just out of sheer probability and odds, I don't see how someone can claim that the bible is infallible. It is more logical and sensible just to say that there possibly could be a creator, instead of claiming the accuracy of a "man made, God inspired book"

I have no problems with Christians, I just think it is impossible to claim perfection in the bible alone. Deism is a far more viable option to support.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2013 3:42:04 PM
At 11/12/2013 2:42:40 PM, Mikal wrote:
Just out of sheer probability and odds, I don't see how someone can claim that the bible is infallible. It is more logical and sensible just to say that there possibly could be a creator, instead of claiming the accuracy of a "man made, God inspired book"

I have no problems with Christians, I just think it is impossible to claim perfection in the bible alone. Deism is a far more viable option to support.

I think you meant "inerrant" in your title.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2013 3:50:56 PM
At 11/12/2013 3:42:04 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

sorry lol. When im at work my iphone does auto type. I cant really proof the stuff i type unless im on a computer which is rare
dadman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2013 4:00:05 PM
I believe the Bible IS from God . . . . most who claim that it is not have never studied it (as far as I have seen) .. or have never heard anyone gifted by God to teach his word
And he (God) gave some apostles .. and some prophets .. and some evangelists .. and some teaching pastors .. for the perfecting of the saints .. for the work of the ministry .. for the edifying of the body of Christ .. till we all come in the unity of the faith .. and of the knowledge of the Son of God .. to a perfect (complete) man .. to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ . . . . Ephesians 4:12 .. http://dadmansabode.com... .. come and learn
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2013 4:49:43 PM
At 11/12/2013 4:00:05 PM, dadman wrote:
I believe the Bible IS from God . . . . most who claim that it is not have never studied it (as far as I have seen) .. or have never heard anyone gifted by God to teach his word

so does the bible contradict itself at any point?
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2013 4:49:43 PM

Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2013 4:51:59 PM
At 11/12/2013 3:42:04 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

Sorry I am off work now, but my phone did do a decent job lol. At least it picked a viable word. I have had it butcher entire sentences before.

I remember I was typing God and it changed it to Godaddy in a post.
dadman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2013 4:56:56 PM

Not that I have seen ..
the most amazing book on the planet ..
not to be equaled by any other
And he (God) gave some apostles .. and some prophets .. and some evangelists .. and some teaching pastors .. for the perfecting of the saints .. for the work of the ministry .. for the edifying of the body of Christ .. till we all come in the unity of the faith .. and of the knowledge of the Son of God .. to a perfect (complete) man .. to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ . . . . Ephesians 4:12 .. http://dadmansabode.com... .. come and learn
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2013 4:57:52 PM
At 11/12/2013 4:56:56 PM, dadman wrote:

Not that I have seen ..
the most amazing book on the planet ..
not to be equaled by any other

Just one off hand. Ever heard of the epic of gilgamesh?
dadman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2013 5:24:47 PM

no .. not lately
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2013 5:35:40 PM
At 11/12/2013 5:24:47 PM, dadman wrote:

no .. not lately

research the epic itself. It has the story of the flood before the authors of the bible were even born.
dadman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2013 5:45:22 PM
no .. not lately

research the epic itself. It has the story of the flood before the authors of the bible were even born

No one experienced the flood and lived to write about it .. Save Noah and his family .. Moses (who wrote Genesis) wrote (guided by God) looking back in time .. just as the Apostle John wrote Revelation (guided by God) looking forward
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2013 5:48:28 PM
At 11/12/2013 5:45:22 PM, dadman wrote:
no .. not lately

research the epic itself. It has the story of the flood before the authors of the bible were even born

No one experienced the flood and lived to write about it .. Save Noah and his family .. Moses (who wrote Genesis) wrote (guided by God) looking back in time .. just as the Apostle John wrote Revelation (guided by God) looking forward

No read the story I mean. The first civilization in mankind was Mesopotamia, which is where we got the code of Hammurabi from. Hebrew, Greek, Egypt, all followed Mesopotamia. In the time they wrote a novel using cuneiform called the epic of Gilgamesh. It is the story of the flood word for word, but with a different person and different Gods. This is all before they people whom wrote the bible where even born, or before the flood was suppose to happen in the bible itself.
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2013 5:50:33 PM
At 11/12/2013 5:45:22 PM, dadman wrote:
no .. not lately

What he's saying is that the epic of giglamesh, the first epic in history from a civilization that predates the bible, includes a story just like noahs ark in the bible. Thus the bible it partly a ripoff
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
dadman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2013 6:11:59 PM
I'm not saying there are not stories of the flood that predated Moses .. there are world-wide stories of a world-wide flood .. but as far as the detailed account of how and why .. God gave that information for Moses to record .. someone elses' story of a flood (no matter when they lived) does nothing until you run into the who / how and why
dadman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2013 6:25:54 PM
PS: .. debating an issue about which came first 5-6 thousand years ago I find a little weak as far as nailing anything down ..
you'll have to come up w/ something a little more provable and a little more valid than some ones poem ..
http://www.gty.org... .. more on this issue
alexnotmurfs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2013 6:55:14 PM

What makes the least sense to me is how Christians can be so certain of the validity of the Bible and yet dismiss the holy texts of other religions, such as the Torah, Qu'ran, or Tripitaka.

There are people all over the world who believe just as strongly that their holy book is the word of their chosen Deity. Who is to say which is correct?
dadman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2013 7:08:17 PM
There are people all over the world who believe just as strongly that their holy book is the word of their chosen Deity. Who is to say which is correct?

well .. if you have read and studied the various writings you should be able to make an informed decision .. so far for me .. I see the Bible above all the rest .. I invite you to learn .. http://dadmansabode.com... .. I have included the audio teaching of a man I respect greatly .. John MacArthur has taught for more than 40+ years ....... enjoy
muslimnomore
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2013 7:38:02 PM
I think that an actual bible scholar, even if s/he were the most staunch Christian, would agree that the bible contains some historical errors and statistical contradictions. This would have no effect on his/her faith because it is widely agreed that the authors of the bible include fallible human beings.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2013 7:42:24 PM
At 11/12/2013 7:38:02 PM, muslimnomore wrote:
I think that an actual bible scholar, even if s/he were the most staunch Christian, would agree that the bible contains some historical errors and statistical contradictions. This would have no effect on his/her faith because it is widely agreed that the authors of the bible include fallible human beings.

This.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
dadman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2013 7:43:17 PM
fallible human beings indeed
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2013 7:56:46 PM
At 11/12/2013 7:08:17 PM, dadman wrote:

well .. if you have read and studied the various writings you should be able to make an informed decision .. so far for me .. I see the Bible above all the rest .. I invite you to learn .. http://dadmansabode.com... .. I have included the audio teaching of a man I respect greatly .. John MacArthur has taught for more than 40+ years ....... enjoy

It was my impression several years ago that Mr. MacArthur was busily teaching the ridiculous doctrine of millennialism - the fanciful idea that Jesus Christ did not set up His kingdom (but, rather, postponed it) and intends to come back and set it up over in Palestine for a thousand years. I used to listen to him occasionally until I heard that. Do you know if he ultimately rejected that idea?
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
dadman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2013 8:07:46 PM
What .. you do not believe that Jesus will return ??
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2013 8:13:36 PM
At 11/12/2013 7:08:17 PM, dadman wrote:

Hello again. I just checked a few fairly recent YouTube videos and yes, Mr. MacArthur read the prologue of Revelation:

"The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show unto his servants, even the things which must shortly come to pass ... blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of the prophecy, and keep the things that are written therein: for the time is at hand ... and from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, the firstborn of the dead, and the ruler of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loveth us, and loosed us from our sins by his blood; and he made us to be a kingdom"

From this, he concluded:

The events described therein did not shortly come to pass
The time really was not fulfilled back in the first century
Jesus Christ is not the ruler of the kings of the earth
The kingdom has not yet come

Strange, but true.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
dadman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2013 8:19:57 PM
I think you need to go re-read your bible ..
are you claiming the the kingdom has already arrived ? ?
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2013 9:11:51 PM

The Bible was produced by the religious leaders of Rome but only after they killed all the true saints who had to write and speak for God to understand who we are in Him. These Roman religious leaders had no idea who God was but the writings of the saints they stole gave them the idea to use some of their writings and mix them with their religious ideas to deceive their Christians from becoming new saints. This worked very well until God produced one last saint a few years ago to teach me what happened back then. Now I know that Christianity is a false religion used by God to teach men how to build things instead of spreading the Truth around the world. The new testament contains very little information that helps God teach me about the future. However, the prophecies in the old testament were kept in good shape for Him to use to teach me about the future age to come.
boss1592
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2013 9:18:12 PM
You don't really have to go past genesis to see that bible is quite obviously not inerrant, it has numerous historical discrepencies, it's at odds with dozens of fields of modern science (at least if you commit yourself to undertaking the mental acrobatics necesary to interpret the bible literally) and it's positively riddled with contradictions. As an example, in II Kings 24:8 (KJV), we read that "Jehoiachin was eighteen years old when he began to reign, and he reigned in Jerusalem three months. And his mother's name was Nehushta, the daughter of Elnathan of Jerusalem." However, in II Chronicles 36:9, we read that "Jehoiachin was eight years old when he began to reign, and he reigned three months and ten days in Jerusalem: and he did that which was evil in the sight of the LORD."

The gospels don't line up with each other either, according to Matthew 27:46, Jesus's last words are "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?". According to Luke 23:46, they are "Father, unto thy hands I commend my spirit". And John 19:30 gives us another, different answer, it says Jesus's last words were "It is finished"
dadman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2013 9:21:36 PM
"This worked very well until God produced one last saint a few years ago to teach me what happened back then"

one last saint ?? .. and this would be .....
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2013 9:27:40 PM
At 11/12/2013 8:19:57 PM, dadman wrote:
I think you need to go re-read your bible ..
are you claiming the the kingdom has already arrived ? ?

Of course I am. Paul was in it. The Colossians were in it. The first readers of the book of Revelation were in it. John was in it.

In view of the fact that John the Baptist, Jesus, the seventy, and the twelve apostles all preached that the kingdom of God was imminent .... at hand ... to shortly come to pass because the time was fulfilled, what Christian would be dumb enough to sit up, look wise, and assert that it never came as promised?

Isn't that something? Promised, prophesied, predicted, and heralded - but it never came! I had hoped Mr. MacArthur had dropped that infidelic nonsense, but the last I saw of him on YouTube, he was still at it - speculating and forecasting away. I suppose it's fun, even if it's inaccurate.
dadman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2013 9:47:34 PM
Try Revelation 20 .. thank you for your opinion .. I will continue w/ the scripture and those that preach the word of God .. and I invite others to join me .. http://dadmansabode.com... .. dadmansabode.com