Total Posts:164|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Are Mormons christian?

Kahvan
Posts: 1,339
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2010 6:45:29 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I think that we are. I'm Mormon. I believe in Jesus. Our official name is "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints."
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2010 6:48:10 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
yep.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2010 7:17:56 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
In the broadest sense then yes, Mormons as you say follow Christ exclusively, thus they are Christian.

As I understand it because they do not recognsie the nicean creed they are not recognised as Christian by all Churches. Which is a fairly tenuous and arbitary ruling really.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
tkubok
Posts: 5,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2010 11:27:50 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Mormonism is BS. Their founder, Joseph Smith, had like 70 wives or something. Or maybe it was 28. Dunno. Apparently Smith also said that the only way to get into heaven is via plural marriage, and the church was forced to deny this after the government started to revoke the citizenship of people who kept getting married, over and over and over again.

Oh, and didnt Joseph Smith pull out a gun and started shooting the angry mob that appeared on his doorstep, tired of his bull?
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2010 11:28:34 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/5/2010 11:20:59 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Sure, Mormons could be considered christians, but still a cult regardless.

Why would Mormons be deemed a cult, and not Christians and Muslims? They're all cults, but the big ones don't get recognized as cults because they have a large following.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2010 12:08:48 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/5/2010 11:15:27 AM, MistahKurtz wrote:
They're also completely nuts.

No more so than most religions.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Zetsubou
Posts: 4,933
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2010 12:12:12 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/5/2010 12:08:48 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 1/5/2010 11:15:27 AM, MistahKurtz wrote:
They're also completely nuts.

No more so than most religions.

Name me 5 more acceptable nuttier religions
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2010 12:31:48 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/5/2010 12:12:12 PM, Zetsubou wrote:
At 1/5/2010 12:08:48 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 1/5/2010 11:15:27 AM, MistahKurtz wrote:
They're also completely nuts.

No more so than most religions.

Name me 5 more acceptable nuttier religions

Surely to make it fair I should only name five equally nutty religions.

But fine,

Islam
Raelism
Falun Gong
Aetherius Society
The Thuggee
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2010 12:32:53 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/5/2010 12:31:48 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 1/5/2010 12:12:12 PM, Zetsubou wrote:
At 1/5/2010 12:08:48 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 1/5/2010 11:15:27 AM, MistahKurtz wrote:
They're also completely nuts.

No more so than most religions.

Name me 5 more acceptable nuttier religions

Surely to make it fair I should only name five equally nutty religions.

But fine,

Islam
Raelism
Falun Gong
Aetherius Society
The Thuggee

Oh wait more acceptable and nuttier... hmmm that makes it harder.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Zetsubou
Posts: 4,933
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2010 2:05:00 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/5/2010 12:31:48 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 1/5/2010 12:12:12 PM, Zetsubou wrote:
At 1/5/2010 12:08:48 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 1/5/2010 11:15:27 AM, MistahKurtz wrote:
They're also completely nuts.

No more so than most religions.

Name me 5 more acceptable nuttier religions

Surely to make it fair I should only name five equally nutty religions.

But fine,

Islam
Raelism
Falun Gong
Aetherius Society
The Thuggee

Islam is in a way like Christianity. Mormons are the most annoying christians, so this fact overules islam.

Raelism...lol. Pedo UFOs? 67% of them are just using the religion or are very, very, light adherants.

Falun Gong... not really, what do they do?

Aetherius Society is basically like Raelism

The Thuggee = Islam

Mormons are for real. They're white supremacists who follow it despite the epic errors.
BTW - Have you seen the South Park parody?
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2010 2:15:45 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/5/2010 2:05:00 PM, Zetsubou wrote:
At 1/5/2010 12:31:48 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 1/5/2010 12:12:12 PM, Zetsubou wrote:
At 1/5/2010 12:08:48 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 1/5/2010 11:15:27 AM, MistahKurtz wrote:
They're also completely nuts.

No more so than most religions.

Name me 5 more acceptable nuttier religions

Surely to make it fair I should only name five equally nutty religions.

But fine,

Islam
Raelism
Falun Gong
Aetherius Society
The Thuggee

Islam is in a way like Christianity. Mormons are the most annoying christians, so this fact overules islam.


They are at least just as nutty surely?

Raelism...lol. Pedo UFOs? 67% of them are just using the religion or are very, very, light adherants.


How is that relevant, their swastika/star of david symbols, their cloning claims.

Falun Gong... not really, what do they do?


Apparently they cut themselves open.

Aetherius Society is basically like Raelism

The Thuggee = Islam


The Thuggee are NOT Muslims, they are Hindu.


Mormons are for real. They're white supremacists who follow it despite the epic errors.

They are not white supremacists.

BTW - Have you seen the South Park parody?

Oh which one!
I am happy to mock and parody religion, and though the Mormons may be odd, Christians already believe in some pretty wierd stuff, I fail to see much blue water between them.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Kahvan
Posts: 1,339
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2010 4:23:21 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Nope. For 2 reasons. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints does not practice polygamy.

The second is that I'm only 17.
wheelhouse3
Posts: 2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2010 4:54:53 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/5/2010 11:27:50 AM, tkubok wrote:
Mormonism is BS. Their founder, Joseph Smith, had like 70 wives or something. Or maybe it was 28. Dunno. Apparently Smith also said that the only way to get into heaven is via plural marriage, and the church was forced to deny this after the government started to revoke the citizenship of people who kept getting married, over and over and over again.

Oh, and didnt Joseph Smith pull out a gun and started shooting the angry mob that appeared on his doorstep, tired of his bull?

Joseph Smith had 1 wife. He never said that the only way to get to heaven was through plural marriage.
Polygamy wasn't practiced in the LDS church until 1841 (11 years AFTER the church was organized). The only reason it was practiced was because hundreds of LDS women were left widows after mobs slaughtered their husbands, tortured their children, and raped them. The only proper way for these women to be taken care of properly was for them to become a part of another household. Most of the women who were wives of polygamists saw nothing of their husbands-- just bread on the table. Once there was no longer a need for it, the practice was eliminated. Any one found practicing polygamy within the LDS church today is excommunicated.
Joseph Smith never pulled a gun on his enemies. Hyrum Smith attempted to use a pistol on the mob coming to murder him and his brother in Carthage Jail, but Joseph never touched the gun. Hyrum only managed to fire off three rounds before he was killed. Not one member of the mob was injured.
wheelhouse3
Posts: 2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2010 5:00:02 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/5/2010 4:32:49 PM, joedoe wrote:
Are your underwear really magic? Or is that just a rumor? I saw that in a movie once.

Haha. No, they are not "magic" :) Members receive garments (the underwear) after they take out their endowments at the temple. They wear them as a reminder of the promises they made to Heavenly Father and the Savior while taking out those endowments.
This made me smile though :)
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2010 5:04:41 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/5/2010 2:05:00 PM, Zetsubou wrote:
Islam is in a way like Christianity. Mormons are the most annoying christians, so this fact overules islam.

Nope. I say Evangelicals are the most annoying Christians.
Kahvan
Posts: 1,339
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2010 7:16:02 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
@wheel thanks for the support I know most of the stuff but not he details like dates or exact scriptural references. As for the magic undies as stated before they aren't really magical.
Alex
Posts: 2,058
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2010 7:37:00 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
They label themselves Christians, however the beliefs are contradictory. The whole "We can achieve God status even though in the Garden of Eden we were punished for such thoughts though we still believe we can do it" stops me from believing we are the same religion. I also couldn't imagine worshiping someone that i could later enter heaven saying "hey man your in my seat."
Why kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?
Alex
Posts: 2,058
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2010 7:38:21 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Oh and what you name yourself doesn't actually make you anything. I could name myself kitty however i am still not a kitty.
Why kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?
tkubok
Posts: 5,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2010 5:53:01 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/5/2010 4:23:21 PM, Kahvan wrote:
Nope. For 2 reasons. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints does not practice polygamy.

The second is that I'm only 17.

But didnt Joseph Smith have like 30 wives, and didnt he say that the only way to enter heaven was through plural marriage?
comoncents
Posts: 5,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2010 6:51:16 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/5/2010 11:20:59 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Sure, Mormons could be considered christians, but still a cult regardless.

But so is Muslim and Christianity.

All cults.
comoncents
Posts: 5,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2010 6:55:32 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/5/2010 11:27:50 AM, tkubok wrote:
Mormonism is BS. Their founder, Joseph Smith, had like 70 wives or something. Or maybe it was 28. Dunno. Apparently Smith also said that the only way to get into heaven is via plural marriage, and the church was forced to deny this after the government started to revoke the citizenship of people who kept getting married, over and over and over again.

Oh, and didnt Joseph Smith pull out a gun and started shooting the angry mob that appeared on his doorstep, tired of his bull?

I hate when people say this yet they do not have a hard time believing in a man that was born of a virgin, and did some crazy stuff on earth, than sacrificed by god.

Can you say, hypocrite

(I do now that you do not fall into this category i have just described but you provided the words that inspired my post, sorry.)
comoncents
Posts: 5,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2010 6:58:33 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/5/2010 7:37:00 PM, alex_hanson911 wrote:
They label themselves Christians, however the beliefs are contradictory. The whole "We can achieve God status even though in the Garden of Eden we were punished for such thoughts though we still believe we can do it" stops me from believing we are the same religion. I also couldn't imagine worshiping someone that i could later enter heaven saying "hey man your in my seat."

But than you need to define christian.
Kahvan
Posts: 1,339
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2010 6:58:38 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I've posted the definitions of cult. If you don't believe me follow the link.

http://www.bing.com...

2. religious group: a group of people who share religious or spiritual beliefs, especially beliefs regarded by others as misguided, unorthodox, extremist, or false
3. idolization of somebody or something: an extreme or excessive admiration for a person, philosophy of life, or activity ( often used before a noun )
"the cult of youth"
"a cult hero"
4. object of idolization: a person, philosophy, or activity regarded with extreme or excessive admiration
5. fad: something popular or fashionable among a devoted group of enthusiasts ( often used before a noun )
"has taken on cult status"
6. cultural anthropology system of supernatural beliefs: a body of organized practices and beliefs supposed to involve interaction with and control over supernatural powers
7. sociology elite group: a self-identified group of people who share a narrowly defined interest or perspective

Using these definitions seniors are a group that is a cult. So I'm a senior, Mormon, Eagle Scout, and more. Dang, so I guess I'm in many cults lol.