Jump to topic:

Not going to church

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2013 8:50:43 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Would I be viewed as a bad Christian because I very rarely attend Church? I'm privately very religious (pray multiple times each day, God is on my mind a lot, ect.) but say so little of it publicly that some people have commented they thought I was an atheist. I know the Bible tells us to spread the Gospel--does this make me a bad Christian? What *should* I be doing to serve God?

Serious question.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2013 9:09:33 PM
Convert to Judaism and make Aliyah to Israel.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2013 9:10:46 PM
At 11/23/2013 9:09:33 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:
Convert to Judaism and make Aliyah to Israel.

Alright, I'll write that down.

My family actually used to be Jewish two generations ago before it became Catholic, even though I'm a Christian I wish we had kept at least some of the Jewish traditions.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2013 9:46:08 PM
At 11/23/2013 8:50:43 PM, thett3 wrote:
Would I be viewed as a bad Christian because I very rarely attend Church? I'm privately very religious (pray multiple times each day, God is on my mind a lot, ect.) but say so little of it publicly that some people have commented they thought I was an atheist. I know the Bible tells us to spread the Gospel--does this make me a bad Christian? What *should* I be doing to serve God?

Serious question.

Why does God need serving?
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2013 9:48:07 PM
At 11/23/2013 9:46:08 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:

Serious question.

Who knows if he needs it. This is a personal matter of mine, not really a philosophical issue. I realize there's a ton in my life to be grateful for that I don't really deserve (I'm not that good of a person) and I *want* to serve him. Is simply trying my best at being a good person enough?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2013 9:49:03 PM
At 11/23/2013 9:48:07 PM, thett3 wrote:

Serious question.

Who knows if he needs it. This is a personal matter of mine, not really a philosophical issue. I realize there's a ton in my life to be grateful for that I don't really deserve (I'm not that good of a person) and I *want* to serve him. Is simply trying my best at being a good person enough?

Yes.

May the best man win!
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2013 9:58:12 PM
At 11/23/2013 9:49:03 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:

Serious question.

Yes.

You think so? Why? (I'm not trying to challenge, I just want opinions).
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Naysayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2013 10:05:15 PM
At 11/23/2013 9:58:12 PM, thett3 wrote:

Serious question.

Yes.

It should be noted that Christ died to sanctify the church. Just like in the Old Testament, everything God did was centered around Israel, everything in the New Testament that God does is centered around the Church.

Jesus Christ is building his church. That's what He's doing right now. You're either in or you're out. If you're saved, your desire should be to be in the church. If you don't follow the simple instructions God gives, you can't expect God to work bigger works through you. Reading your Bible, praying to God, going to church, these are the basics. Your spiritual growth depends on them.

The church is there to strengthen you, to hold you up when you're not strong. To comfort you when you're hurting. To instruct you when you're not really sure of simple questions like this one. To preach to you when you're getting off course.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2013 10:11:39 PM
At 11/23/2013 10:05:15 PM, Naysayer wrote:

Serious question.

Yes.

It should be noted that Christ died to sanctify the church. Just like in the Old Testament, everything God did was centered around Israel, everything in the New Testament that God does is centered around the Church.

Jesus Christ is building his church. That's what He's doing right now. You're either in or you're out. If you're saved, your desire should be to be in the church. If you don't follow the simple instructions God gives, you can't expect God to work bigger works through you. Reading your Bible, praying to God, going to church, these are the basics. Your spiritual growth depends on them.

Which church? Does it matter? I grew up in a household that wasn't particularly religious but was also split so my beliefs don't really fit into any specific Church. Do you think it's impossible to be saved without faithfully attending Church? What if I'm just worshipping God in my own way?

The church is there to strengthen you, to hold you up when you're not strong. To comfort you when you're hurting. To instruct you when you're not really sure of simple questions like this one. To preach to you when you're getting off course.

This is definitely true.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2013 10:13:08 PM
At 11/23/2013 10:11:39 PM, thett3 wrote:

Serious question.

Yes.

Which church? Does it matter? I grew up in a household that wasn't particularly religious but was also split so my beliefs don't really fit into any specific Church. Do you think it's impossible to be saved without faithfully attending Church? What if I'm just worshipping God in my own way?

This is definitely true.

I was baptized as a baptist btw.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Naysayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2013 10:18:57 PM

Serious question.

Yes.

This is definitely true.

Which church definitely matters, but I couldn't point you to a specific denomination, if that's what you're asking. The important thing for a church is its biblical standard. Anyone should be able to read clearly, without contradiction, what the preacher/elders are stating as requirements in the Bible. And there should be a strong drive toward saving sinners, because if you're not doing that, what exactly are you doing?

Faithfully attending church is a follow on, not a requirement to get saved. There are a lot of people that get saved and never do anything. In the parable of the sower, there were instances where the seed took root and then the plant got choked out before producing any fruit. Getting saved involves placing your faith in Jesus Christ as your sacrifice for sin because that's what God said to do.

As for worshipping God your own way, that's a wide open field and it started with Cain, whose offering God rejected. I'd try it God's way.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2013 10:27:24 PM
At 11/23/2013 10:18:57 PM, Naysayer wrote:

Serious question.

Yes.

This is definitely true.

Which church definitely matters, but I couldn't point you to a specific denomination, if that's what you're asking. The important thing for a church is its biblical standard. Anyone should be able to read clearly, without contradiction, what the preacher/elders are stating as requirements in the Bible. And there should be a strong drive toward saving sinners, because if you're not doing that, what exactly are you doing?

Faithfully attending church is a follow on, not a requirement to get saved. There are a lot of people that get saved and never do anything. In the parable of the sower, there were instances where the seed took root and then the plant got choked out before producing any fruit. Getting saved involves placing your faith in Jesus Christ as your sacrifice for sin because that's what God said to do.

Well I have done the bolded but I agree with you that I probably should go to a church. It's just hard to choose which one. I've always planned to take my children to church when I have them but it's better to go myself sooner rather than later

As for worshipping God your own way, that's a wide open field and it started with Cain, whose offering God rejected. I'd try it God's way.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Naysayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2013 10:39:03 PM
At 11/23/2013 10:27:24 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 11/23/2013 10:18:57 PM, Naysayer wrote:

Serious question.

Yes.

This is definitely true.

Well I have done the bolded but I agree with you that I probably should go to a church. It's just hard to choose which one. I've always planned to take my children to church when I have them but it's better to go myself sooner rather than later

I'm a bit partial to Baptists myself, but that's hardly a guarantee of sound doctrine, trust me.
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2013 10:45:58 PM

Serious question.

Yes.

Because why not? It sounds good enough to me.

May the best man win!