21st_Century_Occultist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2013 11:59:42 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
93!

Hi there,
I have found that this topic often seem to spark decent conversations, so why not bring it up? Obviously my username is on par with this topic, I hate picking user names haha.

ANYWAYS, to the point!

There is a persisting belief that occultism and science are different fields. It is an understandable misconception, backed by ancient views, cultural entertainment, and New Agers or young teens. The thing is that occultism itself has two varying schools. Th first is the old school, supernatural school where we can curse our enemies, learn from tarot cards, rely on psychics, etc. the second is a psychological school. Occultism is generally defined as the study of the hidden and / or supernatural. The supernatural school would take it at face value, seeing that there is actually something supernatural going on. Th psychological school would see it coming from the mind, even looking at natural, purely scientific explanations first such as mental illness. This school is scientific and yet subjective. This seems like a contradiction, so let me explain.

Science involves observing, hypothesizing, testing, gathering data, retesting, and drawing conclusions. A hypothesis must be falsifiable, experiments must be repeatable. Now, supernatural occultism, of course, is a pseudo-science. Psychological occultism isn't, and the difference is important.

The thing about psychological occultism is that it follows the scientific method, but it varies from science I'm one specific way; subjectivity. Say that the symbol of the cross empowers a Christian, meanwhile a pentagram stresses them. It is objective / scientific / psychological that symbols, beliefs, myths affect the mind. The perception and manipulation of symbols, mythologies, beliefs, etc is occultism. There is no objectively correct way. An occultist applies the scientific method to create a SUBJECTIVE system of knowledge to benefit that individual. You hypothesize about what will work for you, such as symbols or myths, to inspire and aid you. This fits in with ritual, meditation, mantras etc. You try working with it, see the results, recalculate if necessary. The difference with this from science is the results vary from person to person, the science is in the psychology of it . Psychological science teaches us / helps us learn about things like the power of belief or symbolism. Occultism is the art / science of manipulating your beliefs and symbolism. Think of cognitive behavior therapy, trying to change how an individual views the world. This is psychology. Where Christianity betters life for one, for someone like me it would be depressing. The idea of religion or lack thereof helping is objective, which religion helps is not.

Now do not get me wrong, I am not saying occultism = science, science itself deals with the objective, but the objective is only half the game.

Psychological occultism, once it is taken seriously, can greatly benefit individuals and, eventual, the species as a whole. This differentiation needs to be made as New Age and revival groups grow in force and mainstream religion begins to decline.

93, 93/93.
The Method of Science, the Aim of Religion
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2013 1:00:03 AM
At 11/28/2013 11:59:42 PM, 21st_Century_Occultist wrote:
93!

Hi there,
I have found that this topic often seem to spark decent conversations, so why not bring it up? Obviously my username is on par with this topic, I hate picking user names haha.

ANYWAYS, to the point!

There is a persisting belief that occultism and science are different fields. It is an understandable misconception, backed by ancient views, cultural entertainment, and New Agers or young teens. The thing is that occultism itself has two varying schools. Th first is the old school, supernatural school where we can curse our enemies, learn from tarot cards, rely on psychics, etc. the second is a psychological school. Occultism is generally defined as the study of the hidden and / or supernatural. The supernatural school would take it at face value, seeing that there is actually something supernatural going on. Th psychological school would see it coming from the mind, even looking at natural, purely scientific explanations first such as mental illness. This school is scientific and yet subjective. This seems like a contradiction, so let me explain.

Science involves observing, hypothesizing, testing, gathering data, retesting, and drawing conclusions. A hypothesis must be falsifiable, experiments must be repeatable. Now, supernatural occultism, of course, is a pseudo-science. Psychological occultism isn't, and the difference is important.

The thing about psychological occultism is that it follows the scientific method, but it varies from science I'm one specific way; subjectivity. Say that the symbol of the cross empowers a Christian, meanwhile a pentagram stresses them. It is objective / scientific / psychological that symbols, beliefs, myths affect the mind. The perception and manipulation of symbols, mythologies, beliefs, etc is occultism. There is no objectively correct way. An occultist applies the scientific method to create a SUBJECTIVE system of knowledge to benefit that individual. You hypothesize about what will work for you, such as symbols or myths, to inspire and aid you. This fits in with ritual, meditation, mantras etc. You try working with it, see the results, recalculate if necessary. The difference with this from science is the results vary from person to person, the science is in the psychology of it . Psychological science teaches us / helps us learn about things like the power of belief or symbolism. Occultism is the art / science of manipulating your beliefs and symbolism. Think of cognitive behavior therapy, trying to change how an individual views the world. This is psychology. Where Christianity betters life for one, for someone like me it would be depressing. The idea of religion or lack thereof helping is objective, which religion helps is not.

Now do not get me wrong, I am not saying occultism = science, science itself deals with the objective, but the objective is only half the game.

Psychological occultism, once it is taken seriously, can greatly benefit individuals and, eventual, the species as a whole. This differentiation needs to be made as New Age and revival groups grow in force and mainstream religion begins to decline.

93, 93/93.

I don't know. People are attracted to the New Age Paradigm often because of their interests in the possibility of reincarnation, various aspects of humanistic psychology, Western occultism, spiritual interpretations of modern quantum physics, and the possibility that astrology and use of crystals could have a scientific basis. It also claims to make spiritual sense of scientific findings and to meet the needs of people who consider themselves to be particularly "open-minded." People who are going through a great personal loss can be attracted to NAP because such people feel that there must be something wrong with their past ways of viewing things, which gives me the impression that in some ways it preys upon at least some people's vulnerabilities. My GF has a daughter who is pretty big into the NAP, although she tries to follow a specific path to make it sound more spiritual to her. I don't know enough about it to judge whether or not it might actually have positive implications, but there is no doubt that the NAP is growing. I read the story of Bruce Keener, who was drawn toward occultism after his wife Vickie passed away, and I'm drawing heavily on his writing in order to gain some knowledge of it all. He seems to think he make a big mistake, and has since purged occultism from his life. Are you speaking of something different?
21st_Century_Occultist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2013 1:44:22 PM
At 11/29/2013 1:00:03 AM, Idealist wrote:
At 11/28/2013 11:59:42 PM, 21st_Century_Occultist wrote:
93!

Hi there,

ANYWAYS, to the point!

93, 93/93.

I don't know. People are attracted to the New Age Paradigm often because of their interests in the possibility of reincarnation, various aspects of humanistic psychology, Western occultism, spiritual interpretations of modern quantum physics, and the possibility that astrology and use of crystals could have a scientific basis. It also claims to make spiritual sense of scientific findings and to meet the needs of people who consider themselves to be particularly "open-minded." People who are going through a great personal loss can be attracted to NAP because such people feel that there must be something wrong with their past ways of viewing things, which gives me the impression that in some ways it preys upon at least some people's vulnerabilities. My GF has a daughter who is pretty big into the NAP, although she tries to follow a specific path to make it sound more spiritual to her. I don't know enough about it to judge whether or not it might actually have positive implications, but there is no doubt that the NAP is growing. I read the story of Bruce Keener, who was drawn toward occultism after his wife Vickie passed away, and I'm drawing heavily on his writing in order to gain some knowledge of it all. He seems to think he make a big mistake, and has since purged occultism from his life. Are you speaking of something different?

Yeah, I'm not talking about the new age paradigm at all except maybe that certain new age beliefs have some psychological benefits. I really don't like the whole new age movement haha.
The Method of Science, the Aim of Religion