Jump to topic:

Religion and Santa parallel.

Lordgrae
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2013 1:56:58 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
If you think about it really hard, Christianity and Santa seem the same.

Judgment on whether your good or bad. Reward of punishment follows.
And at least for Santa, he doesn't grade people on an arbitrary system. He bases it whether you tried to be a good person, not whether you worshiped him or gave him constant praise.

Belief based on what your parents tell you.

Carols.

Belief without evidence.

Fat white people.
Birth Name: Graesil s'h'u Aln s'de Alanai'u s'se Saeron
Name: Grae
Titles: Lord, x'Sor Linniae (the false king), Elven War Chief, Heir to Aln
Class: Melee Archer/ Orator
Main Stats: Charisma, Dexterity
Weilds: Bladebow, Elven Slim Sword
Skills: Oration, Double Shot, Backstab, Snatch, Overwhelm Mind, Dominate, Parley, Restorative Sleep
Personal History: Born as the second of triplets, he was wed at an early age to a Dryad. He escaped several times, and on the last was captured and enslaved
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2013 2:07:32 PM
At 11/29/2013 1:56:58 PM, Lordgrae wrote:

And at least for Santa, he doesn't grade people on an arbitrary system. He bases it whether you tried to be a good person, not whether you worshiped him or gave him constant praise.

Carols.

Belief without evidence.

Fat white people.

Christianity and Santa are part of God's grand scheme to deceive His people into believing this world is real. Reality is what's not seen and scientists have been studying the unseen world for some time now but they still don't understand what's real.
Lordgrae
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2013 2:13:49 PM
At 11/29/2013 2:07:32 PM, bornofgod wrote:

Carols.

Belief without evidence.

Fat white people.

Christianity and Santa are part of God's grand scheme to deceive His people into believing this world is real. Reality is what's not seen and scientists have been studying the unseen world for some time now but they still don't understand what's real.

Where is your evidence for this claim?
Skills: Oration, Double Shot, Backstab, Snatch, Overwhelm Mind, Dominate, Parley, Restorative Sleep
Personal History: Born as the second of triplets, he was wed at an early age to a Dryad. He escaped several times, and on the last was captured and enslaved
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2013 2:18:14 PM
At 11/29/2013 2:13:49 PM, Lordgrae wrote:

Carols.

Belief without evidence.

Fat white people.

Can scientists see energy?
Lordgrae
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2013 2:20:07 PM
At 11/29/2013 2:18:14 PM, bornofgod wrote:

Carols.

Belief without evidence.

Fat white people.

Actually, we can see energy in some forms. We cannot see it with the naked eye, but we can witness reactions such as fire that are based on energy, and we can see the effects of energy. We know about energy, although it is not visible normally.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2013 2:28:04 PM
At 11/29/2013 2:20:07 PM, Lordgrae wrote:

Carols.

Belief without evidence.

Fat white people.

Actually, we can see energy in some forms. We cannot see it with the naked eye, but we can witness reactions such as fire that are based on energy, and we can see the effects of energy. We know about energy, although it is not visible normally.

Knowing about energy is not knowing the Truth. I know what energy is because the Truth taught me what it is. No scientist can tell you what I know.
Lordgrae
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2013 2:47:37 PM
At 11/29/2013 2:28:04 PM, bornofgod wrote:
At 11/29/2013 2:20:07 PM, Lordgrae wrote:

Carols.

Belief without evidence.

Fat white people.

Knowing about energy is not knowing the Truth. I know what energy is because the Truth taught me what it is. No scientist can tell you what I know.

The point of science is that they don't claim to know things unless they really know for sure. They don't claim to know. You are claiming you know the truth because it's the truth. That is circular reasoning. Is the truth circular reasoning?
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2013 3:44:19 PM

Carols.

Belief without evidence.

Fat white people.

Hardy har har.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Lordgrae
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2013 4:18:12 PM
At 11/29/2013 4:15:53 PM, Installgentoo wrote:

Belief without evidence.

Atheism is also a belief without evidence.

I would say yes for true atheism. The belief of most atheists is that "there is no evidence for god, so I will not occupy my time with believing in a positive without evidence".
Installgentoo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2013 4:20:50 PM
At 11/29/2013 4:18:12 PM, Lordgrae wrote:

Belief without evidence.

I would say yes for true atheism. The belief of most atheists is that "there is no evidence for god, so I will not occupy my time with believing in a positive without evidence".

So they aren't really atheists, they just choose not to think about God and so have no belief either way, making them agnostics. Okay.
Lordgrae
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2013 4:28:00 PM
At 11/29/2013 4:20:50 PM, Installgentoo wrote:

Belief without evidence.

So they aren't really atheists, they just choose not to think about God and so have no belief either way, making them agnostics. Okay.

Yes, there are very few true atheists. If you look at Richard Dawkins, he made a 1-7 scale. (I'm not sure which end is which) On that scale, a 1 is "I'm absolutely sure god doesn't exists", a 1 is "I'm absolutely sure god does exist". A four is on the exact middle of the fence. He describes it in greater detail, so that you can place yourself on this scale. Dawkins declares himself to be a 6.9. Even Dawkins, considered one of the greatest Atheists is not truly an atheist.

We simply use the term atheism, because people usually understand what it means. They get the gist of it quickly.

Me and the other atheists are really just more forceful agnostics. I can't really speak for everyone else though.

Agnostic is yet another bad term. It simply means to be not sure about something. So of course, I am an agnostic, but because I choose to not believe in a positive without evidence, I am an agnostic that is atheist leaning.
Installgentoo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2013 4:57:23 PM
At 11/29/2013 4:28:00 PM, Lordgrae wrote:

Belief without evidence.

Yes, there are very few true atheists. If you look at Richard Dawkins, he made a 1-7 scale. (I'm not sure which end is which) On that scale, a 1 is "I'm absolutely sure god doesn't exists", a 1 is "I'm absolutely sure god does exist". A four is on the exact middle of the fence. He describes it in greater detail, so that you can place yourself on this scale. Dawkins declares himself to be a 6.9. Even Dawkins, considered one of the greatest Atheists is not truly an atheist.

We simply use the term atheism, because people usually understand what it means. They get the gist of it quickly.

Me and the other atheists are really just more forceful agnostics. I can't really speak for everyone else though.

Agnostic is yet another bad term. It simply means to be not sure about something. So of course, I am an agnostic, but because I choose to not believe in a positive without evidence, I am an agnostic that is atheist leaning.

Well there is evidence for God. Summa Theologia. I suggest you find a copy online and read it through. It converted me to deism. I suggest you take a look at it, too.
Lordgrae
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2013 6:32:48 PM
Well there is evidence for God. Summa Theologia. I suggest you find a copy online and read it through. It converted me to deism. I suggest you take a look at it, too.

I rarely have the time for good reading, but I will try to find time for it.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2013 7:17:44 PM
At 11/29/2013 4:57:23 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 11/29/2013 4:28:00 PM, Lordgrae wrote:

Belief without evidence.

What is the point of your deist god, what does it do.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Kassandra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2013 9:20:31 PM
Lordgrae points to something that has long bothered me: the fact that we are indoctrinated into a great variety of beliefs by our parents, supported by elements of our respective cultures. All of which is highly dependent upon the time&place of birth. I was born in North America in the middle of the 20th century--thus, I got the whole mythology that went with that time/place: tooth fairy, Santa+elves+flying reindeer, Easter Bunny, Cupid, st. Patrick, the Thanksgiving Day fabrication, all the bible stories, and, of course, the enduring myth of God. Had I been born in India, I might have been taught from the Bhavagata Gita to believe in the Lord Krishna, Arjuna, etc. In ancient Egypt, Ra would head up a long list of gods. Ancient Rome would have me believing in Zeus and another long list of gods and goddesses. Most religions were polytheistic until fairly recently. I would argue that even Christianity is polytheistic as there are really three gods in one box. In any case, my views and everyone else's did not generate spontaneously in a vacuum. In short, we think the way we wete taught to think, believe what we were taught to believe, and confirm to the dictates if society. Up to a point. When we are told that Santa does not really exist, we fold that into the mix. Ditto the tooth fairy and so on. So really, our beliefs are not our beliefs at all they are the beliefs of our parents and our parents' parents and the majority of the members of whatever culture is dominant in that time/place. The decision to throw off the yoke is not an easy one. I often wonder how many people are True Believers and how many go through the motions because their church gives them important personal and business connections. It is like a club and a family. Stand apart and you will likely stand alone.
Kassandra
Lordgrae
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2013 9:24:58 PM
At 11/29/2013 9:20:31 PM, Kassandra wrote:
Ancient Rome would have me believing in Zeus and another long list of gods and goddesses.

Not to be nitpicky, but for Ancient Rome it would be Jupiter, not Zeus. Zeus is Greek.

Otherwise, I really liked everything else you said.
Kassandra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2013 9:53:01 PM
At 11/29/2013 9:24:58 PM, Lordgrae wrote:
Ancient Rome would have me believing in Zeus and another long list of gods and goddesses.

Not to be nitpicky, but for Ancient Rome it would be Jupiter, not Zeus. Zeus is Greek.

Thanx, and you are, of course quite correct, I'm sure. I will go immediately and offer up the appropriate sacrifices to both for my sin(s). Think I will be forgiven? Ummm, you don't happen to know what to wear and what to bring? Toga and fatted lamb? Would a cow be too showy? Which one hits you with the lightning bolt when you get it wrong?
Kassandra
Lordgrae
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2013 9:57:34 PM
At 11/29/2013 9:53:01 PM, Kassandra wrote:
At 11/29/2013 9:24:58 PM, Lordgrae wrote:

Thanx, and you are, of course quite correct, I'm sure. I will go immediately and offer up the appropriate sacrifices to both for my sin(s). Think I will be forgiven? Ummm, you don't happen to know what to wear and what to bring? Toga and fatted lamb? Would a cow be too showy? Which one hits you with the lightning bolt when you get it wrong?

Both.