Total Posts:111|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Atheists/Agnostics Unite!

Kassandra
Posts: 47
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 3:06:41 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
The theists/religionists have not one shred of proof for the existence of any god! The arguments they present are wholly based on twaddle from some so-called "holy" book/person, or from some pseudo-scientific musings--all of which have repeatedly and convincingly shown to be faulty and are debunked. What we have here are the representatives of various religious clubs who cannot agree on the colour of shite, much less figure out the the correct interpretation of their own club rules. Basically, they are engaged here with sifting through which pack of lies is superior to someone else's pack of lies.

Ridiculous! Hip boots would not be enough to wade through this much pure ignorance, we would require tall stilts. Clearly, little or no headway is possible in the face of such deeply entrenced fear and small-mindedness. Not much point in slogging on, imho. Perhaps we need a forum for Free Thinkers to compare notes on the best modes of healing and recovering from the ravages of attempting to live among and deal with these knuckle-draggers. What say you?
Kassandra
Ramshutu
Posts: 4,063
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 5:12:50 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Human beings are wrong a lot and Being wrong feels exactly the same as feeling right.

As a result, if you are convinced you are right, with no doubt and no possibility of being wrong, the chances are you probably are wrong, and you will probably be wrong forever as if you are wrong your brain will refuse to let you know it if you are convinced you are right.

The only way to avoid this is to ALWAYS entertain the possibility you are wrong, and to take the arguments of people with opposing views on face value and attempt to deal them in as logical and rational way as is possible rather than calling people: stupid then insane then evil. (something I have been guilty of many times)

I see a lot of people who on balance of evidence, seem to have caught themselves in a non-self reflective circular loop. And as a result you have no idea how many times I have asked myself "I am convinced I am right, they are convinced they are right, I don't think they're stupid and insane, so how can I know who is truly right?"

This is why the op has got it very wrong. The only way you can gaurentee not to become what you are complaining about is the constant acceptance that "well, I maybe wrong" and always expose yourself to and surround yourself by contrary view points.

In fact, if every single person in the world worked under the assumption that they could very well be wrong, I would never say a word about religion ever, as that single assumption by everyone would end all the bad individual effects I perceive of religion.
HPWKA
Posts: 401
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 5:24:12 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Pretty much as ignorant as a post can get.

While its clear there isn't any proof that can significantly substantiate a theist's claims, I think its also clear that nobody has been able to prove that many of these beliefs are wrong.

Its also pretty rich for you to call them "knuckle-draggers", simply for what boils down to a difference of opinion (neither party can conclusively prove the other is incorrect). Not to mention that some of the worst atrocities committed in the last 200 years weren't religiously motivated, but secular.
Feelings are the fleeting fancy of fools.
The search for truth in a world of lies is the only thing that matters.
21st_Century_Occultist
Posts: 65
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 6:07:36 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
There's no evidence or argument against God either, only certain god concepts. Fundamentalist atheism is no better than theism really, the problem presented goes both ways.
The Method of Science, the Aim of Religion
Kassandra
Posts: 47
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 6:43:45 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Never have been of a mind to convince the religionists if my "rightness" and their "wrongness". Raised by so-called christians. Heavily brain-washed from infancy. Was Baptized, and "saved" on a fairly regular basis. Sent to church camp every Summer. Surrounded by believers all my life in every sphere of life for 64 years. I have yet to see any of these folks admit to any doubt re the convictions spoon fed them from infancy--much less (god-forbid QUESTION) their brain washing or brain washers. It just isn't done! I have heard many of these so-called Christians put down other faiths with great vehemence--when in fact, I could not see any great differences. This issue of religion is not a small matter to me. I do not lightly oppose. My refusal to see The Emperor's New Clothes has cost me my family of origin (esp. my mother who thought I would "Be Left Behind" and sent me the entire Left Behind series in hope that I would "see the light and come back to god. I watched the series (gag me with a spoon), but could not embrace her ideas--thus, she left me behind). People I loved every much have died believers. I would love to believe--and thus. be assured of seeing them in heaven. But, I don't, so there it is. Friends who are . big believers ha.ve turned their backs on me because I refuse to go along to get along. This issue of religion is not a small matter. It is a destructive force not only in my life, but also in the lives of countless others. Lordgrae gives a very nice accounting in one of his recent threads--as to his reasons for opposing religion/religionists. I heartily agree with him. If this were an academic philosiphical question with no real world consequenses, I would not care one way or the other whether I were right or wrong. I'd be on the is Black Friday Worth It forum.
Kassandra
HPWKA
Posts: 401
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 6:47:18 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Never have been of a mind to convince the religionists if my "rightness" and their "wrongness". Raised by so-called christians. Heavily brain-washed from infancy. Was Baptized, and "saved" on a fairly regular basis. Sent to church camp every Summer. Surrounded by believers all my life in every sphere of life for 64 years. I have yet to see any of these folks admit to any doubt re the convictions spoon fed them from infancy--much less (god-forbid QUESTION) their brain washing or brain washers. It just isn't done! I have heard many of these so-called Christians put down other faiths with great vehemence--when in fact, I could not see any great differences. This issue of religion is not a small matter to me. I do not lightly oppose. My refusal to see The Emperor's New Clothes has cost me my family of origin (esp. my mother who thought I would "Be Left Behind" and sent me the entire Left Behind series in hope that I would "see the light and come back to god. I watched the series (gag me with a spoon), but could not embrace her ideas--thus, she left me behind). People I loved every much have died believers. I would love to believe--and thus. be assured of seeing them in heaven. But, I don't, so there it is. Friends who are . big believers ha.ve turned their backs on me because I refuse to go along to get along. This issue of religion is not a small matter. It is a destructive force not only in my life, but also in the lives of countless others. Lordgrae gives a very nice accounting in one of his recent threads--as to his reasons for opposing religion/religionists. I heartily agree with him. If this were an academic philosiphical question with no real world consequenses, I would not care one way or the other whether I were right or wrong. I'd be on the is Black Friday Worth It forum.

Cry me a river. People "turning their backs on you" happens in life frequently, for many reasons other then religion.

If THIS sob story is what constitutes a "real world consequence", then wow. First world problems and such. Your life is better then most.
Feelings are the fleeting fancy of fools.
The search for truth in a world of lies is the only thing that matters.
Lordgrae
Posts: 666
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 7:09:00 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/1/2013 5:12:50 PM, Ramshutu wrote:
Human beings are wrong a lot and Being wrong feels exactly the same as feeling right.

As a result, if you are convinced you are right, with no doubt and no possibility of being wrong, the chances are you probably are wrong, and you will probably be wrong forever as if you are wrong your brain will refuse to let you know it if you are convinced you are right.

The only way to avoid this is to ALWAYS entertain the possibility you are wrong, and to take the arguments of people with opposing views on face value and attempt to deal them in as logical and rational way as is possible rather than calling people: stupid then insane then evil. (something I have been guilty of many times)

I see a lot of people who on balance of evidence, seem to have caught themselves in a non-self reflective circular loop. And as a result you have no idea how many times I have asked myself "I am convinced I am right, they are convinced they are right, I don't think they're stupid and insane, so how can I know who is truly right?"

This is why the op has got it very wrong. The only way you can gaurentee not to become what you are complaining about is the constant acceptance that "well, I maybe wrong" and always expose yourself to and surround yourself by contrary view points.

In fact, if every single person in the world worked under the assumption that they could very well be wrong, I would never say a word about religion ever, as that single assumption by everyone would end all the bad individual effects I perceive of religion.

True. However, we can say it is very unlikely that something is true. And we shouldn't take a stance due to no evidence. We should always think that we could be wrong, and if proven so we should stop believing in something, but without evidence, we should take an agnostic stance.
Birth Name: Graesil s'h'u Aln s'de Alanai'u s'se Saeron
Name: Grae
Titles: Lord, x'Sor Linniae (the false king), Elven War Chief, Heir to Aln
Class: Melee Archer/ Orator
Main Stats: Charisma, Dexterity
Weilds: Bladebow, Elven Slim Sword
Skills: Oration, Double Shot, Backstab, Snatch, Overwhelm Mind, Dominate, Parley, Restorative Sleep
Personal History: Born as the second of triplets, he was wed at an early age to a Dryad. He escaped several times, and on the last was captured and enslaved
Kassandra
Posts: 47
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 7:12:45 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Okay Ramshutu, you do make a case for remaining open-minded. However, I would also like to point out the axiom that the greater the number and weight of those trying to make an individual wrong the greater that individual's chance of being right.

So sorry, but when we have a thread debating whether or not a woman should be beaten or whether she risks going to hell for refusing to have sex with her husband, I call that a pretty compelling grounds for the knuckle-dragging label. So stone me.

I will happily oppose any and all philosophies, politics, religions, or whatever that attempt to tell me what to think, believe, say or do.

And the "cry me a river" ninny can go stuff himself as well.
Kassandra
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 9:57:27 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/1/2013 3:06:41 PM, Kassandra wrote:
The theists/religionists have not one shred of proof for the existence of any god! The arguments they present are wholly based on twaddle from some so-called "holy" book/person, or from some pseudo-scientific musings--all of which have repeatedly and convincingly shown to be faulty and are debunked. What we have here are the representatives of various religious clubs who cannot agree on the colour of shite, much less figure out the the correct interpretation of their own club rules. Basically, they are engaged here with sifting through which pack of lies is superior to someone else's pack of lies.

Ridiculous! Hip boots would not be enough to wade through this much pure ignorance, we would require tall stilts. Clearly, little or no headway is possible in the face of such deeply entrenced fear and small-mindedness. Not much point in slogging on, imho. Perhaps we need a forum for Free Thinkers to compare notes on the best modes of healing and recovering from the ravages of attempting to live among and deal with these knuckle-draggers. What say you?

tl;dr perhaps we need a forum where we atheists can all have an echo chamber where we congratulate each other on how rational we are.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Kassandra
Posts: 47
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 11:42:56 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
What a concept! A forum on a debate site that embraces rational provable assertions! Wow! I must be trippin'. Oh, and I would like pooka to re-read the posts here, including his own. With the exception of lordgrae and ram, you all have been pretty UGLY in your comments for so-called believers in God, doncha think?
Kassandra
Kassandra
Posts: 47
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 12:54:58 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I am against religions/religionists because:
1. they (each) claim a pipeline to god; 2. They each claim a superior understanding of some moral code--supposedly communicated to them by god through a text or person; 3 they each claim that theirs is the superior religion; 4. They each strive to inject the children of their followers (and societies at large) with their own brand of religious dogma and prejudices; 5. They each treat women as second class (at best) citizens; 6. Through fundementalist interpretation of dogma they seek to suppress the advancement or social inclusion of anyone who is "different" from themselves. 7. They infiltrate schools and governments with their beliefs, holidays, traditions, codes of conduct such that there is no separation of religion and state--much less freedom FROM religion for non-believers; 8) anyone who questions or defies their belief system is shunned, isolated, ridiculed, up to and including banishment, torture, hanging, rape and murder. 9) religions use guilt, shaming, fear and false promises to ensure compliance of members (i.e., jesus died for Your sins, confess your sins, you will go to hell if you do or don't do xyz, if you give your money to the church you will receive even more in blessings, etc); 10) religion is used to conquer and enslave weaker nations for the profit of stronger nations and corporate interests. Religious leaders often take advantage of parishioners. Religions take advantage of superstitions, prejudices, ignorance and weakness as well as people's desire to believe. These are not minor or personal issues. These are deforming, manipulations of human beings that I, and not a few others find repulsive, repugnant and reprehensible.
Kassandra
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 1:07:07 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/1/2013 11:42:56 PM, Kassandra wrote:
What a concept! A forum on a debate site that embraces rational provable assertions! Wow! I must be trippin'. Oh, and I would like pooka to re-read the posts here, including his own. With the exception of lordgrae and ram, you all have been pretty UGLY in your comments for so-called believers in God, doncha think?

What's "ugly" about my comment?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Sleevedagger
Posts: 129
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 1:25:08 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/1/2013 5:24:12 PM, HPWKA wrote:
Pretty much as ignorant as a post can get.

While its clear there isn't any proof that can significantly substantiate a theist's claims, I think its also clear that nobody has been able to prove that many of these beliefs are wrong.

Its also pretty rich for you to call them "knuckle-draggers", simply for what boils down to a difference of opinion (neither party can conclusively prove the other is incorrect). Not to mention that some of the worst atrocities committed in the last 200 years weren't religiously motivated, but secular.

"the worst atrocities committed in the last 200 years weren't religiously motivated, but secular". Complete and utter nonsense, more propaganda and ignorance.

Islamic Jihad, Rwanda Massacres, Catholic terror in Vietnam, The Nazi party, Thugee sect killings, Buddhists in Burma, I can go on and that doesn't even include the daily ritual atrocities.

http://religiousatrocities.wordpress.com...
Kassandra
Posts: 47
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 1:28:44 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Now, the pictures that religions paint of god are very seductive pretty and compelling. I would love to believe that such an entity exists. And, if such a being does exist, great. Still, until I meet up with such an entity, I wholly distrust any and all self-proclaimed "mouthpieces" of god. And since the majority of those I have encountered don't live or behave anywhere close to even their own proclaimed ethos, why should I trust any human to tell me who or what god is?, Further, since none can tell me conclusively and provably THAT god is, why should I believe? Now, if this means I go to hell, I will have a whole lot of company, but I won't be there for the crime of hypocrisy, which is more than I can say for a great many so-called Christians. Questions?
Kassandra
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 1:33:38 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/1/2013 3:06:41 PM, Kassandra wrote:
The theists/religionists have not one shred of proof for the existence of any god! The arguments they present are wholly based on twaddle from some so-called "holy" book/person, or from some pseudo-scientific musings--all of which have repeatedly and convincingly shown to be faulty and are debunked.

The Atheists and Secularists often lack any substantial philosophical grounds and logical evidence for their proposition that God and all variations of God and other deities are de facto non-existent in the world or even unlikely.

The arguments that secularists present are based upon personal disgust of what they perceive to be what religion represents because they see fundamentalists behaving and preaching in a way that appears bigoted. The other arguments tend to be appeals to ridicule and demanding that only Theists must prove their world view and try to absolve themselves of responsibility to prove their own world view.

Atheists and Secularists like to condemn dogma and the closed-mindedness of religion, and yet Atheists are just as dogmatic and closed-minded as any man of religion.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
SubterFugitive
Posts: 255
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 1:37:52 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/1/2013 3:06:41 PM, Kassandra wrote:
The theists/religionists have not one shred of proof for the existence of any god! The arguments they present are wholly based on twaddle from some so-called "holy" book/person, or from some pseudo-scientific musings--all of which have repeatedly and convincingly shown to be faulty and are debunked. What we have here are the representatives of various religious clubs who cannot agree on the colour of shite, much less figure out the the correct interpretation of their own club rules. Basically, they are engaged here with sifting through which pack of lies is superior to someone else's pack of lies.

Ridiculous! Hip boots would not be enough to wade through this much pure ignorance, we would require tall stilts. Clearly, little or no headway is possible in the face of such deeply entrenced fear and small-mindedness. Not much point in slogging on, imho. Perhaps we need a forum for Free Thinkers to compare notes on the best modes of healing and recovering from the ravages of attempting to live among and deal with these knuckle-draggers. What say you?

Disgusting drivel. You claim to be a free thinker but you're amusing the theists with this BS.. it's not intellectual and it's not even funny except for the person who laughs AT you... Theists have many proofs for theism, whether those are sound proofs is another question, you are to deal with WHY those proofs aren't sound BEFORE you raise the flag of victory.

Don't bore us with talk of theists using only the bible to prove theism, there's a WHOLE WING of theology called "natural theology" from which science herself sprung. More respect is due to the theists, it's deluded idiots like you and Dawkins who create a bad name for the TRUE free thinkers.
SubterFugitive
Posts: 255
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 1:40:16 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
And the TRUE free thinkers includes theists and atheists alike. Nobody has a complete claim on truth to be welded like a bat against those who disagree..
bulproof
Posts: 25,184
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 1:42:29 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/2/2013 1:33:38 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 12/1/2013 3:06:41 PM, Kassandra wrote:
The theists/religionists have not one shred of proof for the existence of any god! The arguments they present are wholly based on twaddle from some so-called "holy" book/person, or from some pseudo-scientific musings--all of which have repeatedly and convincingly shown to be faulty and are debunked.

The Atheists and Secularists often lack any substantial philosophical grounds and logical evidence for their proposition that God and all variations of God and other deities are de facto non-existent in the world or even unlikely.

The arguments that secularists present are based upon personal disgust of what they perceive to be what religion represents because they see fundamentalists behaving and preaching in a way that appears bigoted. The other arguments tend to be appeals to ridicule and demanding that only Theists must prove their world view and try to absolve themselves of responsibility to prove their own world view.

Atheists and Secularists like to condemn dogma and the closed-mindedness of religion, and yet Atheists are just as dogmatic and closed-minded as any man of religion.

I've only heard the lunatic called Alex Jones on very rare occassions and anyone quoting something said by this lunatic must, of necessity, be reduced to a position of no import.

Perhaps I have misread you?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 2:01:41 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/2/2013 1:42:29 AM, bulproof wrote:
I've only heard the lunatic called Alex Jones on very rare occassions and anyone quoting something said by this lunatic must, of necessity, be reduced to a position of no import.

Perhaps I have misread you?

I would suggest you have misread both myself and Alex Jones. You have admittedly only heard minimal amounts of content from Alex Jones and therefore your judgement of him will only be minimally accurate.

You assume that because he's energetic, outspoken, and from Texas that he is a lunatic with no valuable intellect. It is painfully ironic that rural accents will bring out the sheer stupidity and unreasoning prejudices out of many people. If Alex Jones or Sarah Palin spoke like Dawkins or Buckley, they'd be perceived entirely differently.

The fallacy of your reasoning is exposed when you judge people like Alex Jones based on his delivery when you have no clue about the fact that he's read thousands of books and can debate the best of the best. His head is a walking library of facts and information, I can guarantee if you ever tried to engage in a debate with him you would feel intellectually defeated because I am almost certain that his 15 hours a day for 20 years straight of pure research trounces any ounce of knowledge you have, I'm willing to bet even his critical process far surpasses yours.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
21st_Century_Occultist
Posts: 65
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 2:14:40 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/1/2013 6:43:45 PM, Kassandra wrote:
Never have been of a mind to convince the religionists if my "rightness" and their "wrongness". Raised by so-called christians. Heavily brain-washed from infancy. Was Baptized, and "saved" on a fairly regular basis. Sent to church camp every Summer. Surrounded by believers all my life in every sphere of life for 64 years. I have yet to see any of these folks admit to any doubt re the convictions spoon fed them from infancy--much less (god-forbid QUESTION) their brain washi

ng or brain washers. It just isn't done! I have heard many of these so-called Christians put down other faiths with great vehemence--when in fact, I could not see any great differences. This issue of religion is not a small matter to me. I do not lightly oppose. My refusal to see The Emperor's New Clothes has cost me my family of origin (esp. my mother who thought I would "Be Left Behind" and sent me the entire Left Behind series in hope that I would "see the light and come back to god. I watched the series (gag me with a spoon), but could not embrace her ideas--thus, she left me behind). People I loved every much have died believers. I would love to believe--and thus. be assured of seeing them in heaven. But, I don't, so there it is. Friends who are . big believers ha.ve turned their backs on me because I refuse to go along to get along. This issue of religion is not a small matter. It is a destructive force not only in my life, but also in the lives of countless others. Lordgrae gives a very nice accounting in one of his recent threads--as to his reasons for opposing religion/religionists. I heartily agree with him. If this were an academic philosiphical question with no real world consequenses, I would not care one way or the other whether I were right or wrong. I'd be on the is Black Friday Worth It forum.

You're hanging with the wrong crowds. Why would oh want friends who would shun you for religion anyways? One or two good friends are worth more than that. Also, just because YOU have need seen religious people question or changed does not make it a rule, unless you also believe mystical experiences prove God exists. It happens all the time.
The Method of Science, the Aim of Religion
21st_Century_Occultist
Posts: 65
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 2:16:31 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/2/2013 12:54:58 AM, Kassandra wrote:
I am against religions/religionists because:
1. they (each) claim a pipeline to god; 2. They each claim a superior understanding of some moral code--supposedly communicated to them by god through a text or person; 3 they each claim that theirs is the superior religion; 4. They each strive to inject the children of their followers (and societies at large) with their own brand of religious dogma and prejudices; 5. They each treat women as second class (at best) citizens; 6. Through fundementalist interpretation of dogma they seek to suppress the advancement or social inclusion of anyone who is "different" from themselves. 7. They infiltrate schools and governments with their beliefs, holidays, traditions, codes of conduct such that there is no separation of religion and state--much less freedom FROM religion for non-believers; 8) anyone who questions or defies their belief system is shunned, isolated, ridiculed, up to and including banishment, torture, hanging, rape and murder. 9) religions use guilt, shaming, fear and false promises to ensure compliance of members (i.e., jesus died for Your sins, confess your sins, you will go to hell if you do or don't do xyz, if you give your money to the church you will receive even more in blessings, etc); 10) religion is used to conquer and enslave weaker nations for the profit of stronger nations and corporate interests. Religious leaders often take advantage of parishioners. Religions take advantage of superstitions, prejudices, ignorance and weakness as well as people's desire to believe. These are not minor or personal issues. These are deforming, manipulations of human beings that I, and not a few others find repulsive, repugnant and reprehensible.

All these sweeping generalizations and all this preaching is no better than those you're attacking.
The Method of Science, the Aim of Religion
Sleevedagger
Posts: 129
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 2:23:05 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/2/2013 1:40:16 AM, SubterFugitive wrote:
And the TRUE free thinkers includes theists and atheists alike. Nobody has a complete claim on truth to be welded like a bat against those who disagree..

How can Theists be free thinkers?
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 2:28:47 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/2/2013 2:23:05 AM, Sleevedagger wrote:
At 12/2/2013 1:40:16 AM, SubterFugitive wrote:
And the TRUE free thinkers includes theists and atheists alike. Nobody has a complete claim on truth to be welded like a bat against those who disagree..


How can Theists be free thinkers?

Is that a serious question?

http://www.infidels.org...
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
bulproof
Posts: 25,184
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 2:34:50 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/2/2013 2:01:41 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 12/2/2013 1:42:29 AM, bulproof wrote:
I've only heard the lunatic called Alex Jones on very rare occassions and anyone quoting something said by this lunatic must, of necessity, be reduced to a position of no import.

Perhaps I have misread you?

I would suggest you have misread both myself and Alex Jones. You have admittedly only heard minimal amounts of content from Alex Jones and therefore your judgement of him will only be minimally accurate.
What I have heard has been sufficient for me to come to a conclusion regarding his intellect and how it is controlled by the prejudices that he has been inculcated with.
You assume that because he's energetic, outspoken, and from Texas that he is a lunatic with no valuable intellect.
No I heard what he had to say and it screamed LUNATIC as loud as he sometimes screams. Is he from Texas? WOW.
It is painfully ironic that rural accents will bring out the sheer stupidity and unreasoning prejudices out of many people. If Alex Jones or Sarah Palin spoke like Dawkins or Buckley, they'd be perceived entirely differently.
Both of them could speak like Sir John Gielgud and still never, ever be considered intelligent. The simple reason for this is that they are not intelligent and every word from their mouths tells any intelligent listener that very thing.
The fallacy of your reasoning is exposed when you judge people like Alex Jones based on his delivery when you have no clue about the fact that he's read thousands of books and can debate the best of the best. His head is a walking library of facts and information, I can guarantee if you ever tried to engage in a debate with him you would feel intellectually defeated because I am almost certain that his 15 hours a day for 20 years straight of pure research trounces any ounce of knowledge you have, I'm willing to bet even his critical process far surpasses yours.
And there is your error. His delivery has nothing to do with his stupidity. His stupidity is obvious from the stupid things he says.
He could speak in Zwahili and it would be stupid.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Kassandra
Posts: 47
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 3:09:11 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
To the one with the lop rabbit--sorry, I forget your name. If bulproof sez this paragon of debate is a lunatic--then he IS a lunatic. But my assessment of your acumen is based also on your offensive bumper sticker quote and the all round silliness of your post. You can go help out with some other "assault on the atheist" thread. k?
Kassandra
Sleevedagger
Posts: 129
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 3:50:11 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/2/2013 2:28:47 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 12/2/2013 2:23:05 AM, Sleevedagger wrote:
At 12/2/2013 1:40:16 AM, SubterFugitive wrote:
And the TRUE free thinkers includes theists and atheists alike. Nobody has a complete claim on truth to be welded like a bat against those who disagree..


How can Theists be free thinkers?

Is that a serious question?

http://www.infidels.org...

Yes its serious and the link you gave doesn't answer the question. Just leaves more question to be answered, not surprisingly.
Kassandra
Posts: 47
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 4:11:13 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/2/2013 1:37:52 AM, SubterFugitive wrote:
At 12/1/2013 3:06:41 PM, Kassandra wrote:
The theists/religionists have not one shred of proof for the existence of any god! The arguments they present are wholly based on twaddle from some so-called "holy" book/person, or from some pseudo-scientific musings--all of which have repeatedly and convincingly shown to be faulty and are debunked. What we have here are the representatives of various religious clubs who cannot agree on the colour of shite, much less figure out the the correct interpretation of their own club rules. Basically, they are engaged here with sifting through which pack of lies is superior to someone else's pack of lies.

Disgusting drivel. You claim to be a free thinker but you're amusing the theists with this BS.. it's not intellectual and it's not even funny except for the person who laughs AT you... Theists have many proofs for theism, whether those are sound proofs is another question, you are to deal with WHY those proofs aren't sound BEFORE you raise the flag of victory.

So trot the many proofs out and let me have a swing at them. They are well-known "proofs" and equally well-known to have been debunked. But, if you need the academic exercise, I am more than happy to oblige--just because its YOU who demands.

Don't bore us with talk of theists using only the bible to prove theism, there's a WHOLE WING of theology called "natural theology" from which science herself sprung. More respect is due to the theists, it's deluded idiots like you and Dawkins who create a bad name for the TRUE free thinkers.

A . . . I think I did mention the pseudo-scientific arguments above had you read before giving us the benefit of your bile.

Go ahead wow us with your accumulated knowledge--I'm ready. I think you will fold and go skittering into the dark corner from whence you emerged, subterfuge.
Kassandra
Kassandra
Posts: 47
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 5:20:28 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/2/2013 2:14:40 AM, 21st_Century_Occultist wrote:
At 12/1/2013 6:43:45 PM,

You're hanging with the wrong crowds. Why would oh want friends who would shun you for religion anyways? One or two good friends are worth more than that. Also, just because YOU have need seen religious people question or changed does not make it a rule, unless you also believe mystical experiences prove God exists. It happens all the time

You think I may have been hanging with the wrong crowds? And I think you may be right about that! I never rejected anyone for their beliefs. I'm the one who got dumped for my failure/refusal to take on THEIR beliefs. That is why I will not bother with any more Christians as potential friends. Atheists, or at least Agnostics only from here on in. 64 years of jumping through hoops for kooks is my limit. I don't say any and all atheists/agnostics are going to be my instant buds, only that all relstionships are tough enough without having to contend with a lifetime of religious programming. k? I did not actually understand the rest of your post. Can you clarify?
Kassandra
Kassandra
Posts: 47
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 5:42:09 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/1/2013 6:07:36 PM, 21st_Century_Occultist wrote:
There's no evidence or argument against God either, only certain god concepts. Fundamentalist atheism is no better than theism really, the problem presented goes both ways.

Sorry there is one glaring argument against believing in a god(s), as in there is no actual proof that any such entity exists. I don't understand what you mean about god concepts. I have never heard the term "fundementalist atheism". I don't agree that the question goes both ways.
Kassandra