C. S. Lewis: Sadomasochist?

wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 10:25:08 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
http://religion.blogs.cnn.com...

Lewis" sexual proclivities also clash with the images of the reserved Englishman who touted the virtues of abstinence before marriage in "Mere Christianity."

Lewis displayed an interest in sadomasochism during his youth. He read the writings of the Marquis de Sade; once became drunk at a party and begged people to allow him to whip them; and signed three letters to friend Arthur Greeves with the closing "lover of the whip," according to McGrath"s biography.

Lewis befriended Greeves during childhood, and the two remained close throughout his life. Greeves was gay, but that didn"t seem to bother Lewis.

"Lewis was aware of Greeves" homosexuality and made it clear that this would not be a problem within their friendship," McGrath said. "He also made it clear that he didn"t share Greeves" orientation."
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
Lordgrae
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 10:55:48 PM
At 12/1/2013 10:25:08 PM, wrichcirw wrote:

Lewis" sexual proclivities also clash with the images of the reserved Englishman who touted the virtues of abstinence before marriage in "Mere Christianity."

Lewis displayed an interest in sadomasochism during his youth. He read the writings of the Marquis de Sade; once became drunk at a party and begged people to allow him to whip them; and signed three letters to friend Arthur Greeves with the closing "lover of the whip," according to McGrath"s biography.

Lewis befriended Greeves during childhood, and the two remained close throughout his life. Greeves was gay, but that didn"t seem to bother Lewis.

"Lewis was aware of Greeves" homosexuality and made it clear that this would not be a problem within their friendship," McGrath said. "He also made it clear that he didn"t share Greeves" orientation."

So your problem is that C.S. Lewis had no problem with gay people?
Birth Name: Graesil s'h'u Aln s'de Alanai'u s'se Saeron
Name: Grae
Titles: Lord, x'Sor Linniae (the false king), Elven War Chief, Heir to Aln
Class: Melee Archer/ Orator
Main Stats: Charisma, Dexterity
Weilds: Bladebow, Elven Slim Sword
Skills: Oration, Double Shot, Backstab, Snatch, Overwhelm Mind, Dominate, Parley, Restorative Sleep
Personal History: Born as the second of triplets, he was wed at an early age to a Dryad. He escaped several times, and on the last was captured and enslaved
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 11:06:33 PM
At 12/1/2013 10:41:57 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
So basically he was a regular human like the rest of us after all?

That's the conclusion the article reached as well.
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 11:08:12 PM
At 12/1/2013 10:55:48 PM, Lordgrae wrote:

I made no insinuations to that effect.

I'm simply surprised that such a prominent Christian figure could have such...disagreeable practices, according to how most Christians believe one should act.
Lordgrae
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 11:09:59 PM
At 12/1/2013 11:08:12 PM, wrichcirw wrote:

I'm simply surprised that such a prominent Christian figure could have such...disagreeable practices, according to how most Christians believe one should act.

Oh. Well if you look at Tolkein, another fantasy author of that era, he was pretty Anti-gay. I guess the difference was just that C.S. Lewis had a long time friend who was gay. There was some republican politician that recently become for gay marriage after his son came out.
Birth Name: Graesil s'h'u Aln s'de Alanai'u s'se Saeron
Name: Grae
Titles: Lord, x'Sor Linniae (the false king), Elven War Chief, Heir to Aln
Class: Melee Archer/ Orator
Main Stats: Charisma, Dexterity
Weilds: Bladebow, Elven Slim Sword
Skills: Oration, Double Shot, Backstab, Snatch, Overwhelm Mind, Dominate, Parley, Restorative Sleep
Personal History: Born as the second of triplets, he was wed at an early age to a Dryad. He escaped several times, and on the last was captured and enslaved
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 12:13:39 AM

Conservative evangelicals tend to idealize C.S. Lewis as a champion for conservative brands of Christainity without knowing too much about him or his views besides snippets. For instance, he wasn't a biblical inerrantist. I've pointed this out to numerous of my more conservative brethen and they looked like at like I/he (perhaps both?) committed a cardinal sin. That's just one example...there are numerous others.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
NiqashMotawadi3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 11:25:33 AM
Christianity seems sadomasochistic at heart from an outsider's perspective...

Sadism: People burning in hell, torture and sacrifice as a method of universal redemption, sacrifice and gruesome torture of Jesus, revelations (doom for the civilians of planet Earth), etc.

Masochism: Sexual guilt and hatred for natural behavior, constant concern with sin and mistakes, self-rebuke and introspection, fasting for some Catholic sects, self-flagellation among radical, esoteric circles, etc.

In Islam, sadomasochism is also present but more in Shiite sects who publicly practice sadomasochistic events such as the celebration of Ashura.
Hard_Muscle_Guy_30
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2013 4:36:58 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/2/2013 11:25:33 AM, NiqashMotawadi3 wrote:
Christianity seems sadomasochistic at heart from an outsider's perspective...

Sadism: People burning in hell, torture and sacrifice as a method of universal redemption, sacrifice and gruesome torture of Jesus, revelations (doom for the civilians of planet Earth), etc.

Masochism: Sexual guilt and hatred for natural behavior, constant concern with sin and mistakes, self-rebuke and introspection, fasting for some Catholic sects, self-flagellation among radical, esoteric circles, etc.

In Islam, sadomasochism is also present but more in Shiite sects who publicly practice sadomasochistic events such as the celebration of Ashura.

I recently saw a pool, that stated that 40% of Egyptian men and 34% of Turks supported the use of torture to interrogate terrorist, and about 6-8% supported police use of torture against all suspected criminals. Except in Turkey, with it's long tradition for police torture, where unlimited abuse is supported by 18% of men, nearly 1 in 5!
In most Christian western European countries the numbers drops to below 12% support torture of terrorist, and 4-7% support unlimited use at the discretion of the cops.

Amnesty and Human Rights Watch, will also tell you that torture and rape of prisoners are taking place right now in Syria, Egypt and Iraq and is common elsewhere in the middle east. So I do believe that in Arab culture there is a sadist streak in particular the male sexuality.

Also: check out the methods used:

Beating generally
Beating the testicles
Shocking both men and women with electricity

Inserting foreign object up the rectum :D

btw: I totally support torture

link to the report
http://www.worldpublicopinion.org...
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2014 12:44:15 PM

Maybe that was all before he turned Christian. In his atheist day's perhaps.
Installgentoo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2014 12:48:38 PM
At 2/12/2014 12:44:15 PM, johnlubba wrote:

Maybe that was all before he turned Christian. In his atheist day's perhaps.

Makes sense when you look at the most influential atheist philosopher of the times, the Marquis De sade.
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2014 1:07:47 PM
At 12/2/2013 9:19:58 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
He didn't become a catholic until he was fifty so I don't see what this proves.

What??? I thought he became Anglican...?
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."