Lordgrae
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 10:54:13 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
My theory is such.

A. Masturbation harms zero people.
B. Anyone who would get addicted to masturbation would also get addicted to sex, so at least they aren't contracting STD's or hurting others.
C. Some people theorize that masturbation may reduce chance of cancer.
http://news.bbc.co.uk...
D. Masturbation reduces stress.
E. Masturbation is completely natural.

So masturbation is at the very least not bad.
Birth Name: Graesil s'h'u Aln s'de Alanai'u s'se Saeron
Name: Grae
Titles: Lord, x'Sor Linniae (the false king), Elven War Chief, Heir to Aln
Class: Melee Archer/ Orator
Main Stats: Charisma, Dexterity
Weilds: Bladebow, Elven Slim Sword
Skills: Oration, Double Shot, Backstab, Snatch, Overwhelm Mind, Dominate, Parley, Restorative Sleep
Personal History: Born as the second of triplets, he was wed at an early age to a Dryad. He escaped several times, and on the last was captured and enslaved
Fruitytree
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 2:01:35 AM
If it prevent people from Marrying it is bad, and if it doesn't prevent them, then it still isn't good for unproductive..

If something isn't harmful you don't call it good, you call in not that bad
Sleevedagger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 5:31:39 AM
At 12/2/2013 2:48:31 AM, NiqashMotawadi3 wrote:

"Appeal to nature" logical fallacy. There is no correlation between natural and good.

Doesn't make it wrong either.
muslimnomore
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 6:02:15 AM
At 12/2/2013 2:01:35 AM, Fruitytree wrote:
If it prevent people from Marrying it is bad, and if it doesn't prevent them, then it still isn't good for unproductive..

I have no real proof of this, but I can tell you that many people who get married used to/still masturbate
Lordgrae
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 8:55:58 AM

It doesn't prevent people from marrying. Do you know how far off masturbation is from real sex? Have you ever talked to someone who both masturbates and has sex? Let me tell you, they say real sex is so much better. Besides humans have a desire for partnership that masturbation cannot replace. So, I'm sure there is a couple people who will not have relationships with others due to masturbation, the vast majority will be unaffected.

Well, my appeal to "it's natural" did not mean I wished to call it good. It was just a single, but weaker defense of the argument.

And masturbation is good. If it reduces your chance of cancer, relieves stress, and decreases the amount of promiscuous sex, then that is good.
Skills: Oration, Double Shot, Backstab, Snatch, Overwhelm Mind, Dominate, Parley, Restorative Sleep
Personal History: Born as the second of triplets, he was wed at an early age to a Dryad. He escaped several times, and on the last was captured and enslaved
Fruitytree
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 9:38:14 AM
At 12/2/2013 8:55:58 AM, Lordgrae wrote:

It doesn't prevent people from marrying. Do you know how far off masturbation is from real sex? Have you ever talked to someone who both masturbates and has sex? Let me tell you, they say real sex is so much better. Besides humans have a desire for partnership that masturbation cannot replace. So, I'm sure there is a couple people who will not have relationships with others due to masturbation, the vast majority will be unaffected.

Well, my appeal to "it's natural" did not mean I wished to call it good. It was just a single, but weaker defense of the argument.

And masturbation is good. If it reduces your chance of cancer, relieves stress, and decreases the amount of promiscuous sex, then that is good.

In this case total ablation is even better !!! I think you exaggerate when you say it's good you are only taking one individual in consideration , not an individual within his society.
Lordgrae
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 9:48:37 AM
At 12/2/2013 9:38:14 AM, Fruitytree wrote:

In this case total ablation is even better !!! I think you exaggerate when you say it's good you are only taking one individual in consideration , not an individual within his society.

How does one person masturbating harm society in the least?
Fruitytree
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 11:19:04 AM
At 12/2/2013 9:48:37 AM, Lordgrae wrote:
At 12/2/2013 9:38:14 AM, Fruitytree wrote:

He doesn't benefit society, he hopefully may not be harmful but for sure he isn't good.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 12:12:15 PM
At 12/2/2013 7:39:32 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
It's also the only kind of sex atheists will get.

False.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 2:25:25 PM
The only argument I have ever heard which claims that masturbation is inherently bad are religious. It's kind of pointless to argue logic with someone who will turn around and say "it's bad because God says so".
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 2:31:05 PM

Somehow I am not convinced you should be talking.
Lordgrae
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 2:55:38 PM

He doesn't benefit society, he hopefully may not be harmful but for sure he isn't good.

So then we should masturbate, because we don't hurt society, and it possibly reduces chance of cancer, and it relieves stress.
Lordgrae
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 2:56:04 PM
At 12/2/2013 2:31:05 PM, Double_R wrote:

+1
muslimnomore
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 5:57:06 PM

brad pitt is an atheist. and all i have to say is: Anniston AND Jolie
Kassandra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 6:12:15 PM
At 12/2/2013 2:56:04 PM, Lordgrae wrote:
At 12/2/2013 2:31:05 PM, Double_R wrote:

+1

+2

Perhaps he is just Frustrated owing to recent a recent failure to prevail?
Kassandra
Kassandra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 6:19:16 PM
Why do religions consider masturbation to be wrong? Can't be some primitive "no spilling of seed" injunction? Not with 7.5 billion population!
Kassandra
SovereignDream
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 6:27:50 PM
At 12/1/2013 10:54:13 PM, Lordgrae wrote:
My theory is such.

B. Anyone who would get addicted to masturbation would also get addicted to sex, so at least they aren't contracting STD's or hurting others.

Sure, if you accept some sort of consequentialist ethical theory or other. The question, then, is why should we accept some consequentialist ethical theory?
muslimnomore
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 6:29:52 PM
At 12/2/2013 6:27:50 PM, SovereignDream wrote:
My theory is such.

Sure, if you accept some sort of consequentialist ethical theory or other. The question, then, is why should we accept some consequentialist ethical theory?

because this is sparta?
Lordgrae
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 6:30:02 PM
My theory is such.

The ends don't necessarily justify the means, but if the mean is self-pleasure, then all that matters is what they are doing to accomplish it.
SovereignDream
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 6:40:04 PM
At 12/2/2013 6:29:52 PM, muslimnomore wrote:
My theory is such.

because this is sparta?

Perhaps
SovereignDream
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 6:45:21 PM
At 12/2/2013 6:30:02 PM, Lordgrae wrote:
My theory is such.

The ends don't necessarily justify the means, but if the mean is self-pleasure, then all that matters is what they are doing to accomplish it.

Point is, so what that masturbation hurts zero people, or that you can't get STD's by masturbating etc.? Consequences don't matter if you are not a consequentialist. So perhaps, if you are, say, a utilitarian, you might have good grounds to think that masturbation is morally permissible, but no so if you are, for example, committed to an Aristotelian-Thomistic Natural Law theory.
Lordgrae
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 6:46:33 PM
At 12/2/2013 6:45:21 PM, SovereignDream wrote:
At 12/2/2013 6:30:02 PM, Lordgrae wrote:
My theory is such.

Point is, so what that masturbation hurts zero people, or that you can't get STD's by masturbating etc.? Consequences don't matter if you are not a consequentialist. So perhaps, if you are, say, a utilitarian, you might have good grounds to think that masturbation is morally permissible, but no so if you are, for example, committed to an Aristotelian-Thomistic Natural Law theory.

I am a utilitarian in some cases. I think when your not involving life vs. death, you should use a purely utilitarian standpoint.
SovereignDream
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 6:49:00 PM
At 12/2/2013 6:46:33 PM, Lordgrae wrote:
I am a utilitarian in some cases. I think when your not involving life vs. death, you should use a purely utilitarian standpoint.

What do you mean "in some cases"? You are either committed to ethical utilitarianism or you are not. You cannot coherently mix-and-match ethical theories on your whims.
Lordgrae
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 6:50:05 PM
At 12/2/2013 6:49:00 PM, SovereignDream wrote:

What do you mean "in some cases"? You are either committed to ethical utilitarianism or you are not. You cannot coherently mix-and-match ethical theories on your whims.

Why not? Different situations call for different ethical viewpoints.
SovereignDream
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 6:54:47 PM
At 12/2/2013 6:50:05 PM, Lordgrae wrote:

Because the espousing of one ethical theory will, in almost all cases, contradict the espousing of another, not to mention that this is just intellectually childish.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2013 6:59:10 PM
At 12/2/2013 6:54:47 PM, SovereignDream wrote:

Because the espousing of one ethical theory will, in almost all cases, contradict the espousing of another, not to mention that this is just intellectually childish.

Well, to be fair, there are occasions when utilitarianism can be applied where other ethical systems might not be, say, where BOTH options are bad, and some kind of moral calculus must be employed. I generally have my own deontology, but in circumstances where there is no good "rule" answer, I have a tendency to go with the utilitarian answer.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
SovereignDream
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2013 10:05:06 PM
At 12/2/2013 6:59:10 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 12/2/2013 6:54:47 PM, SovereignDream wrote:

Well, to be fair, there are occasions when utilitarianism can be applied where other ethical systems might not be, say, where BOTH options are bad, and some kind of moral calculus must be employed. I generally have my own deontology, but in circumstances where there is no good "rule" answer, I have a tendency to go with the utilitarian answer.

But then I wonder which ethical theory is doing the work, so to speak.