Jump to topic:

More debate, less argument . . .

Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2013 4:47:56 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I don't want to start anything with this comment, but I have made some observations in the two months I've been visiting DDO. I know that I'm a new member here, but I'm certainly no stranger to online forums in which the members seem to relish debating religion and atheism above everything else. But why do people carry it so far? According to Debate: 101, "Debate is supposed to inform the public of what they should know, to educate the people, and to help them reach a logical understanding of the facts." I know it's not really possible to use that exact definition when arguing this topic, but why must every question be thrown-out there as if it were a gauntlet? I haven't seen very many serious questions desirous of serious answers, but rather questions which seem more like dares. Friends can have differences and argue about them. They can even make fun of each other's characteristics while laughing about them. But most of what I've seen here seems to point to the deduction that the true wish of most posters is to start an argument simply for its own sake. I honestly try to learn from these discussions, and I think it's fair to expect to learn from a well-made argument, but it can be very hard to learn from what comes-across as complete bias and a desire for confrontation. Any thoughts from anyone?
muslimnomore
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2013 4:56:08 PM
At 12/6/2013 4:47:56 PM, Idealist wrote:
I don't want to start anything with this comment, but I have made some observations in the two months I've been visiting DDO. I know that I'm a new member here, but I'm certainly no stranger to online forums in which the members seem to relish debating religion and atheism above everything else. But why do people carry it so far? According to Debate: 101, "Debate is supposed to inform the public of what they should know, to educate the people, and to help them reach a logical understanding of the facts." I know it's not really possible to use that exact definition when arguing this topic, but why must every question be thrown-out there as if it were a gauntlet? I haven't seen very many serious questions desirous of serious answers, but rather questions which seem more like dares. Friends can have differences and argue about them. They can even make fun of each other's characteristics while laughing about them. But most of what I've seen here seems to point to the deduction that the true wish of most posters is to start an argument simply for its own sake. I honestly try to learn from these discussions, and I think it's fair to expect to learn from a well-made argument, but it can be very hard to learn from what comes-across as complete bias and a desire for confrontation. Any thoughts from anyone?

Yeah, I think a lot of time you assume that the questions asked are loaded or disingenuous even though there's no real evidence to back up this claim.
muslimnomore
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2013 4:57:12 PM
At 12/6/2013 4:56:08 PM, muslimnomore wrote:

Yeah, I think a lot of time you assume that the questions asked are loaded or disingenuous even though there's no real evidence to back up this claim.

That sentence didn't make any sense. I meant to say "very often" not "a lot of time"
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2013 5:09:02 PM
At 12/6/2013 4:56:08 PM, muslimnomore wrote:

The questions themselves aren't usually the problem. The failure occurs when an answer is made and then the person asking the question jumps forth to slaughter it like captured prey. Can you honestly tell me you don't notice this trend? I almost never see anyone make comments like, "hmmm...you make a good point there, but what about this?". I've never seen as much confirmation bias applied to any other subject as what is applied to religion.
muslimnomore
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2013 5:19:17 PM
Can you honestly tell me you don't notice this trend?

What I honestly can't believe is that grown men and women living in 2013 still believe in myths concocted by people from the ancient civilizations. The only trend I notice is extremely silly arguments defending the god of the bible and the quran. And I honestly can't believe that responses to people such as madcornishbiker and makhdoom5 are somehow influenced by "confirmation bias".

If there is ever a good response to a question, I do not hesitate to acknowledge it.

http://www.debate.org...
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2013 5:31:12 PM
At 12/6/2013 5:19:17 PM, muslimnomore wrote:
Can you honestly tell me you don't notice this trend?

What I honestly can't believe is that grown men and women living in 2013 still believe in myths concocted by people from the ancient civilizations. The only trend I notice is extremely silly arguments defending the god of the bible and the quran. And I honestly can't believe that responses to people such as madcornishbiker and makhdoom5 are somehow influenced by "confirmation bias".

If there is ever a good response to a question, I do not hesitate to acknowledge it.

http://www.debate.org...

Yes, that was a good post, but I'm sorry to say that all too often I have observed you making hasty and unhelpful responses. Some seemed downright aggressive. I do not mean to criticize, I only wish that everyone here could behave more in the way they profess to prefer.
Installgentoo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2013 6:45:36 PM

All you need to know about arguments about religion are there are two reasonable sides: people who believe that a god exist and people who don't believe that a god exists.

Everyone else is an idiot and not worth engaging with.
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2013 6:55:55 PM
At 12/7/2013 6:45:36 PM, Installgentoo wrote:

All you need to know about arguments about religion are there are two reasonable sides: people who believe that a god exist and people who don't believe that a god exists.

So you believe we are all just born knowing, or that if we haven't decided by a certain age then we must be idiots? Since when did it become a fault to be open-minded instead of being committed to a specific agenda? I guess if you aren't a democrat or republican then you are not worth engaging in American politics?
Installgentoo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2013 6:58:32 PM
At 12/7/2013 6:55:55 PM, Idealist wrote:

So you believe we are all just born knowing, or that if we haven't decided by a certain age then we must be idiots? Since when did it become a fault to be open-minded instead of being committed to a specific agenda?

I don't mind people being open-minded, but I find anyone who is just insecure about their beliefs on one side or another in terms of religions tends to make really facile points in an argument about it. Just my experience.
themohawkninja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2013 7:05:19 PM
I don't want to start anything with this comment, but I have made some observations in the two months I've been visiting DDO. I know that I'm a new member here, but I'm certainly no stranger to online forums in which the members seem to relish debating religion and atheism above everything else.

Religion is important to some people. People are obviously going to be much more passionate about what happens when they die, than whether or not the ACA is a good idea or not.

But why do people carry it so far? According to Debate: 101, "Debate is supposed to inform the public of what they should know, to educate the people, and to help them reach a logical understanding of the facts." I know it's not really possible to use that exact definition when arguing this topic, but why must every question be thrown-out there as if it were a gauntlet?

That is the crappiest definition of debate that I have ever heard. Political debates are the only ones that any significant portion of the public knows about, and those aren't even all that educating.

I haven't seen very many serious questions desirous of serious answers, but rather questions which seem more like dares. Friends can have differences and argue about them. They can even make fun of each other's characteristics while laughing about them. But most of what I've seen here seems to point to the deduction that the true wish of most posters is to start an argument simply for its own sake. I honestly try to learn from these discussions, and I think it's fair to expect to learn from a well-made argument, but it can be very hard to learn from what comes-across as complete bias and a desire for confrontation. Any thoughts from anyone?

Then you should look harder. Look at my debates, Rational_Thinker1919 debates, or really anyone on this site that isn't either an idiotic 12 year old, or a close-minded religious zealot.
"Morals are simply a limit to man's potential."~Myself

Political correctness is like saying you can't have a steak, because a baby can't eat one ~Unknown
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2013 8:34:38 PM
At 12/7/2013 6:58:32 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 12/7/2013 6:55:55 PM, Idealist wrote:

So you believe we are all just born knowing, or that if we haven't decided by a certain age then we must be idiots? Since when did it become a fault to be open-minded instead of being committed to a specific agenda?

I don't mind people being open-minded, but I find anyone who is just insecure about their beliefs on one side or another in terms of religions tends to make really facile points in an argument about it. Just my experience.

What if it's not insecurity, but uncertainty in what they believe? None of us decide what to believe, after all. Not if we are honest. Our beliefs are just the sum of our experiences. So what's wrong with discussing the issue with others? What makes religion different from every other subject in the world?
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2013 8:55:09 PM
At 12/7/2013 7:05:19 PM, themohawkninja wrote:
I don't want to start anything with this comment, but I have made some observations in the two months I've been visiting DDO. I know that I'm a new member here, but I'm certainly no stranger to online forums in which the members seem to relish debating religion and atheism above everything else.

Religion is important to some people. People are obviously going to be much more passionate about what happens when they die, than whether or not the ACA is a good idea or not.

Oh, I'm not questioning the propriety of the debate, merely making a point that my newness here doesn't mean I'm inexperienced with these types of arguments.

But why do people carry it so far? According to Debate: 101, "Debate is supposed to inform the public of what they should know, to educate the people, and to help them reach a logical understanding of the facts." I know it's not really possible to use that exact definition when arguing this topic, but why must every question be thrown-out there as if it were a gauntlet?

That is the crappiest definition of debate that I have ever heard. Political debates are the only ones that any significant portion of the public knows about, and those aren't even all that educating.

Well, it may be crappy, but it came from a textbook on debate. I don't think religion is something that can be debated in any classical style. Still, it is possible to have meaningful discussions about the subject without so many people from both sides trying to force their interpretations or beliefs on each other. I know it's emotionally-charged, but not impossibly so.

I haven't seen very many serious questions desirous of serious answers, but rather questions which seem more like dares. Friends can have differences and argue about them. They can even make fun of each other's characteristics while laughing about them. But most of what I've seen here seems to point to the deduction that the true wish of most posters is to start an argument simply for its own sake. I honestly try to learn from these discussions, and I think it's fair to expect to learn from a well-made argument, but it can be very hard to learn from what comes-across as complete bias and a desire for confrontation. Any thoughts from anyone?

Then you should look harder. Look at my debates, Rational_Thinker1919 debates, or really anyone on this site that isn't either an idiotic 12 year old, or a close-minded religious zealot.

I've looked at all of Rational_Thinkers forum questions, and at least several of those have seemed to be obvious prods for starting agenda-defined arguments. So far I haven't seen that with you, and kudos for that, even though you make it obvious that you think anyone who doesn't agree with your view must be an idiot. I think it's strange how a person with no special status (not referring to you, or anyone in particular) simply assumes and claims to be more intelligent than some of the world's most distinguished academics, simply because those academics believe in some kind of design. I know that I'm in the minority. Not many people really care to debate the subject seriously. They all think they already have the answer, even though many will change their minds at some point in their life. But if no one is interested in what the other side has to say, then why lure them into discussing it at all?
themohawkninja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2013 9:20:15 PM
At 12/7/2013 8:55:09 PM, Idealist wrote:

Oh, I'm not questioning the propriety of the debate, merely making a point that my newness here doesn't mean I'm inexperienced with these types of arguments.

Well, it may be crappy, but it came from a textbook on debate. I don't think religion is something that can be debated in any classical style. Still, it is possible to have meaningful discussions about the subject without so many people from both sides trying to force their interpretations or beliefs on each other. I know it's emotionally-charged, but not impossibly so.

Correct. That's the nice thing about this site, is that you see those non-emotionally-based religious debates all the time.

I've looked at all of Rational_Thinkers forum questions, and at least several of those have seemed to be obvious prods for starting agenda-defined arguments. So far I haven't seen that with you, and kudos for that, even though you make it obvious that you think anyone who doesn't agree with your view must be an idiot. I think it's strange how a person with no special status (not referring to you, or anyone in particular) simply assumes and claims to be more intelligent than some of the world's most distinguished academics, simply because those academics believe in some kind of design. I know that I'm in the minority. Not many people really care to debate the subject seriously. They all think they already have the answer, even though many will change their minds at some point in their life. But if no one is interested in what the other side has to say, then why lure them into discussing it at all?

I don't think that the other side is an idiot if they actually attempt to back their side in fact. I just look at the argument, and make the argument itself look idiotic so I can be victorious in the debate.

As for Ration_Thinker's statements, of course it's somewhat agenda-defined, as his agenda is to debate the topic at hand. Also, if nobody is interested in what the other side has to say, why would people formally debate? Persuasion, of course!

In the end, it all comes down to seeing what the other person has to say, whether it be just for the sake of learning, or to take that argument, find the holes in it, and rip it to shreds. It wouldn't be much of a debate if you didn't attempt to dismantle the other person's side, now would it? Even if it is the latter, learning still occurs, as even though I debate to win, the reason why I love to debate, is because I end up learning so much about the other side. I mean, sure I can find ways of tearing the argument to shreds, but that is because when one formally debates, there is a competition to be won.
"Morals are simply a limit to man's potential."~Myself

Political correctness is like saying you can't have a steak, because a baby can't eat one ~Unknown
Idealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2013 11:00:25 PM
At 12/7/2013 8:55:09 PM, Idealist wrote:

"In the end, it all comes down to seeing what the other person has to say, whether it be just for the sake of learning, or to take that argument, find the holes in it, and rip it to shreds." Thanks. I think you got it right with the second part, which was the whole point I was trying to make. I mean, who cares about "higher pursuits" when you can enjoy the sweet taste of domination, right? :)
iamanatheistandthisiswhy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2013 6:34:03 AM

I think when it comes to religion, most people have had enough of the bad things religions do. This does not include most believers, who are good people, but the organizations. These organizations will always be strong with people supporting them, and so I am aggressive as I know what religion does.

An example is the catholic church, believers still back them financially and politically even when they know they have pedophiles in their church and the organization is doing nothing about it.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2013 2:34:50 PM
But if no one is interested in what the other side has to say, then why lure them into discussing it at all?

For other reasons of course. It's the nature of the internet that, because of the immediacy and the anonymity, it attracts people with poor social skills. The dumb, the young, the mentally unbalanced, and the sociopath. For now we just have to live with it. Find a few people you think are good, and ignore the others.

Years ago I got the bright idea that I wanted to interview one of the internet's militant atheists. I find them so interesting. I thought for sure many would welcome being interviewed, and thought with some nervousness that one of them would ask in turn to interview me. To my surprise, none of them wanted to be interviewed, and to my greater surprise, none of them wanted to interview me.

It was a shock to find people on debate forums who were not interested in genuine communication or other people's ideas at all. Each simply wanted an audience. They would make outrageous threads, and then view other posts mostly as interruption to their comments.

When they can't have the spotlight all the time, they run away. Sad.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2013 5:55:53 AM

I agree with you that things would be the ideal, however if some in determined to have an argument, there are often way to ensure that it happens, as anyone following some of the arguments I have been forced into responding by my sense of justice can see.

I try to strike a balance between avoiding pointless arguing as scripture says, but also considering others who may be reading the content and may not know the history behind the argument. It is a difficult line to walk, and I don;t doubt that I get it wrong in both directions at times, but one or two on here know that I am duty bound, as part of my service to God and Christ, to respond to some things, and have become rather too adept at pressing those particular buttons.

I wish everyone on here was more like you, interested in debating rather than just arguing, and that is why I am always happy to respond you you if you raise something, but only fortunately there are too many who either want to appear to be superior to such as I, or have a grudge against the scriptural teachings I represent.

Unfortunately because I have shared the basic teachings that the JWs put forward since long before I even knew they existed, let alone what their teachings were, many prefer to think that I follow them rather than following the one that I found they truly follow. However such is the truth, and I shall continue to support them, popular or not, as long as they support God's word and not man's.

Unfortunately people are very good at finding reasons not to believe what they don't want to believe, but the fact escapes them that, like it or not, truth remains truth and always will no matter who believes otherwise.

I hope some at least notice that I have left many who disagree with me to their own thoughts and do not reply to them unless they make some claim which slanders God, however, those amongst them that do not agree with em don;t stoop to unnecessary argument but leave me to my thoughts, as I leave them to theirs.

Of course the irony is that if it were not for those who insist on arguing with me, or putting me down, I would have far less opportunities to spread what I believe, in the hope that some will think for themselves and investigate it properly.

Some hope I know, but there could easily be one or two who are more interested in truth and who wish to see for themselves if what I teach is right or not

Acts 17:10-12
10 Immediately by night the brothers sent both Paul and Silas to Beroea. On arriving, they went into the synagogue of the Jews. 11 Now these were more noble-minded than those in Thessalonica, for they accepted the word with the greatest eagerness of mind, carefully examining the Scriptures daily to see whether these things were so. 12 Therefore, many of them became believers, and so did quite a few of the reputable Greek women as well as some of the men.

The Beroeans didn't want second hand truth, so they studied it fro themselves and mad e it their own, as all who wish to should do.