Jump to topic:

The complex universe and God.

themohawkninja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2013 9:04:44 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Something that I've been pondering lately, is: "Why would a god make such a complicated universe?"

Now, obviously, a god of infinite, or near-infinite power would have no problem making one, but that still leaves the question of why?

The only answer that I could really come up with, is that such a deity would want to see what would happen if they made something as complicated as our universe. This interpretation however, gives the deity a striking limitation that more well known gods (most notably the Christian God) shouldn't have to worry about. This limitation is that for a god to want to test the outcomes of their actions, while they would obviously need a massive amount of knowledge to construct such a thing (it should also be noted here, that in this scenario, there could have been an infinite number of failed attempts at a universe), would NOT actually know the outcome.

This goes against major religions, as their God is all-knowing, and therefore should have known what would happen, but such a God is then left without an apparent reason to make the universe. Therefore, perhaps if a god exists, their knowledge, while not limited in volume, is limited in time.

Any thoughts/other explanations for why a god (or gods) would make such a complicated universe?
"Morals are simply a limit to man's potential."~Myself

Political correctness is like saying you can't have a steak, because a baby can't eat one ~Unknown
InvictusManeo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2013 9:16:51 PM
I was going to write a serious response to this question but then my thumbs got tired so instead I'll just say: a god would make a complex universe because YOLF, so why the f*ck not.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2013 10:50:38 PM
At 12/19/2013 9:04:44 PM, themohawkninja wrote:
Something that I've been pondering lately, is: "Why would a god make such a complicated universe?"

Now, obviously, a god of infinite, or near-infinite power would have no problem making one, but that still leaves the question of why?

The only answer that I could really come up with, is that such a deity would want to see what would happen if they made something as complicated as our universe. This interpretation however, gives the deity a striking limitation that more well known gods (most notably the Christian God) shouldn't have to worry about. This limitation is that for a god to want to test the outcomes of their actions, while they would obviously need a massive amount of knowledge to construct such a thing (it should also be noted here, that in this scenario, there could have been an infinite number of failed attempts at a universe), would NOT actually know the outcome.

This goes against major religions, as their God is all-knowing, and therefore should have known what would happen, but such a God is then left without an apparent reason to make the universe. Therefore, perhaps if a god exists, their knowledge, while not limited in volume, is limited in time.

Any thoughts/other explanations for why a god (or gods) would make such a complicated universe?

It is complex as compared to what?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
themohawkninja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2013 8:43:55 AM
At 12/19/2013 10:50:38 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 12/19/2013 9:04:44 PM, themohawkninja wrote:

It is complex as compared to what?

I'm not referring to relative complexity, I am just using the term "complex" to describe how no one person can ever possibly hope to understand how it all works, and not even all 7 billion of us really understand, even though we know as much as we do.

Political correctness is like saying you can't have a steak, because a baby can't eat one ~Unknown
Installgentoo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2013 5:57:12 AM
I disagree with your premise, tehmohawkninja. The Universe is actually fairly easy to understand in that a few formulas govern everything within it. One example's Newton's law of gravitation;

F(g)= m1x m2/ r^2

That is the force by which all particles of matter in the Universe attract each other and that is always the case wherever you go. The other parts of the universe can be descirbed by other very short formulas. Doesn't that seem rather simple?
themohawkninja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2013 7:55:59 AM
At 12/21/2013 5:57:12 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
I disagree with your premise, tehmohawkninja. The is actually fairly easy to understand in that a few formulas govern everything within it. One example's Newton's law of gravitation;

F(g)= m1x m2/ r^2

That is the force by which all particles of matter in the Universe attract each other and that is always the case wherever you go. The other parts of the universe can be descirbed by other very short formulas. Doesn't that seem rather simple?

That's one equation. (you forgot the gravitational constant in that equation btw).

Look up the equation for the standard model of particle physics. It's a whole page long. Other equations to explain certain phenomena aren't as easy as gravity and energy. Not to mention that the application of these principles on the scale of our universe (say, n-body physics for example) causes relatively simple equations (like Gmm/r^2) to turn into monstrosities that would take a team of college students about 10 minutes just to get through the first iteration of the equation (6-body physics in this case), and after a while, you just give up and had the problem over to a supercomputer.