Jump to topic:

Labelling things as religious . . .

InvictusManeo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2013 9:34:05 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
If we label things commonly regarded as secular 'religious', in order to discredit them in some way, does this not then discredit religion?

Why do religious people use this tactic in debates/discussions when it is self-refuting and not see the hypocrisy behind it?
Installgentoo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2013 10:10:18 PM
At 12/19/2013 9:34:05 PM, InvictusManeo wrote:
If we label things commonly regarded as secular 'religious', in order to discredit them in some way, does this not then discredit religion?

Why do religious people use this tactic in debates/discussions when it is self-refuting and not see the hypocrisy behind it?

It's amazing how angry atheists get about religion.

The word religious does not exclusively mean "part of religion" btw.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2013 10:17:25 PM
It's because people need something solid to hold onto in this dreamland. And then the biblically religious or whatever are correct - the common atheist is what he is through faith, and then why should they bend to him who is no different to them, just arguably less moral.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2013 10:21:55 PM
There is very little distinction to be made between common atheism and religion, and so where's the argument going? Basically.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2013 10:41:06 PM
Does he wear a bib when he dribbles?
Response: Yet your weak rebuttals show otherwise.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2013 1:37:22 PM
I really got mad with my family one time after my grandfather had died --mad with the world, I guess --and I lashed out at my uncle for being the good Christian that he is. See, I have an aunt who lives far, far away, and because of Christianity. She had a child outside of marriage in old, hugely religious Ireland, and shame drove her from here pretty much. She spent a lot of time working in Africa too --all to make up for earlier "slip", I'm pretty sure. And so I let him have it --my cousin, his daughter, having been suffering some too, and him lost in dreamland. I really, really cut deep --and his response? "You don't even believe in anything", he said, in a very traumatised way --I'd cut to the very core. Anyways, later on he made a big effort to sit alongside me at mass (it was a memorial mass --you wouldn't catch me at mass otherwise), and the whole thing was pretty much just an investigation on his part. I guess he'd been taken by the bombardment that was church too, and wanted to see how I handled it. He left ashamed. I'm curious to see how he'll end up. He seems a much more somber individual around me anyway, which is good --no harm in having brought him back down to earth; what right has he to be a lone spaceman, leaving his daughter behind? But yeah. People just need something, atheists and religious alike.
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2013 1:48:16 PM
At 12/19/2013 9:34:05 PM, InvictusManeo wrote:

They are just saying that atheists are on their level ("we are both religious" they would say). When they call atheists religious it is not to say:

"You are bad because you are religious"

They are saying

"You can't say religion is bad, because atheism is itself a religion"