Total Posts:16|Showing Posts:1-16
Jump to topic:

A Question for Atheists

Installgentoo
Posts: 1,420
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2013 4:45:40 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
If the brain is just made of a bunch of matter that's mostly compiled when we're young, what use is it to try to convince theists of the truth of atheism? Surely you believe that their brains have already been hardwired to respond to stimuli in different ways, so those of us who reject atheism cannot be convinced it is true.
nummi
Posts: 294
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2013 5:33:35 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/21/2013 4:45:40 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
If the brain is just made of a bunch of matter that's mostly compiled when we're young, what use is it to try to convince theists of the truth of atheism? Surely you believe that their brains have already been hardwired to respond to stimuli in different ways, so those of us who reject atheism cannot be convinced it is true.
The use is to try and make you see the world you live in as it really is, instead of the fantasies you take as real. If you met a person who took Harry Potter literally and thought it was true you would without a doubt think that person was insane. Now switch Harry Potter with the bible... and you think that is not the same? They are both fantasy stories.

There is no "truth" to atheism, it is simply a state of having no belief in any religions or gods.

The brains have not been hardwired to anything but the ability to process information coming from the senses, the ability to direct that to your conscious part of the mind, and then the ability to view and think over that in turn consciously, from there on to make decisions of your own, and some other characteristics. And apparently it can as well be abused, as has been in your case 'cause, after all, you do take fantasy as reality.

Atheism is not something to reject or accept, it is simply a word given to a state, the state itself being the lack of belief.
Installgentoo
Posts: 1,420
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2013 5:42:19 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/21/2013 5:33:35 AM, nummi wrote:
At 12/21/2013 4:45:40 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
If the brain is just made of a bunch of matter that's mostly compiled when we're young, what use is it to try to convince theists of the truth of atheism? Surely you believe that their brains have already been hardwired to respond to stimuli in different ways, so those of us who reject atheism cannot be convinced it is true.
The use is to try and make you see the world you live in as it really is, instead of the fantasies you take as real. If you met a person who took Harry Potter literally and thought it was true you would without a doubt think that person was insane. Now switch Harry Potter with the bible... and you think that is not the same? They are both fantasy stories.

Nice strawman.

There is no "truth" to atheism, it is simply a state of having no belief in any religions or gods.

I disagree, look at wikipedia, it says it is the rejection of belief in God/gods. If you reject belief in something, then you think that it is false. You must however think the idea you reject less likely to be true than it's negation. That's the logical way of thinking. Therefore the atheist has a burden of proof, which I suppose you just gave by strawmanning my position in the chunk of text I responded to above.

The brains have not been hardwired to anything but the ability to process information coming from the senses, the ability to direct that to your conscious part of the mind, and then the ability to view and think over that in turn consciously, from there on to make decisions of your own, and some other characteristics. And apparently it can as well be abused, as has been in your case 'cause, after all, you do take fantasy as reality.

>says Christians live a fantasy life
>plays Warhammer 3000 8 hours a day

Atheism is not something to reject or accept, it is simply a word given to a state, the state itself being the lack of belief.

That's not what the dictionary says.
bulproof
Posts: 25,203
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2013 5:51:09 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/21/2013 4:45:40 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
If the brain is just made of a bunch of matter that's mostly compiled when we're young, what use is it to try to convince theists of the truth of atheism? Surely you believe that their brains have already been hardwired to respond to stimuli in different ways, so those of us who reject atheism cannot be convinced it is true.

In my experience those who reject atheism, know nothing about atheism.

This opinion is confirmed by you in post#3.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Installgentoo
Posts: 1,420
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2013 5:58:38 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/21/2013 5:51:09 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 12/21/2013 4:45:40 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
If the brain is just made of a bunch of matter that's mostly compiled when we're young, what use is it to try to convince theists of the truth of atheism? Surely you believe that their brains have already been hardwired to respond to stimuli in different ways, so those of us who reject atheism cannot be convinced it is true.

In my experience those who reject atheism, know nothing about atheism.

This opinion is confirmed by you in post#3.

Tell me why the dictionary and wikipedia are wrong in their description of atheism. Please don't tell me you think you're making no claims by being one.
bulproof
Posts: 25,203
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2013 6:20:04 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/21/2013 5:58:38 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 12/21/2013 5:51:09 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 12/21/2013 4:45:40 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
If the brain is just made of a bunch of matter that's mostly compiled when we're young, what use is it to try to convince theists of the truth of atheism? Surely you believe that their brains have already been hardwired to respond to stimuli in different ways, so those of us who reject atheism cannot be convinced it is true.

In my experience those who reject atheism, know nothing about atheism.

This opinion is confirmed by you in post#3.

Tell me why the dictionary and wikipedia are wrong in their description of atheism. Please don't tell me you think you're making no claims by being one.
I'm an atheist.

I reject the claim made by man that god/s exist.

God/s are a CLAIM made by man. That is all god/s are. Prove me wrong.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Installgentoo
Posts: 1,420
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2013 6:30:43 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/21/2013 6:20:04 AM, bulproof wrote:

God/s are a CLAIM made by man. That is all god/s are. Prove me wrong.

Science proves you wrong. The Anthropic Principle, the claim that intelligence will originate within our universe, is a direct scientific proof of a benevolent intelligence behind the universe who designed the universe for us to live in.
bulproof
Posts: 25,203
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2013 6:32:33 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/21/2013 6:30:43 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 12/21/2013 6:20:04 AM, bulproof wrote:

God/s are a CLAIM made by man. That is all god/s are. Prove me wrong.

Science proves you wrong. The Anthropic Principle, the claim that intelligence will originate within our universe, is a direct scientific proof of a benevolent intelligence behind the universe who designed the universe for us to live in.
Sounds like a man made claim? Is it?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Installgentoo
Posts: 1,420
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2013 6:37:33 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/21/2013 6:32:33 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 12/21/2013 6:30:43 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 12/21/2013 6:20:04 AM, bulproof wrote:

God/s are a CLAIM made by man. That is all god/s are. Prove me wrong.

Science proves you wrong. The Anthropic Principle, the claim that intelligence will originate within our universe, is a direct scientific proof of a benevolent intelligence behind the universe who designed the universe for us to live in.
Sounds like a man made claim? Is it?

Yes. So what? That doesn't make it untrue. People have made claims about things existing before that have been true. Your counter-arguments to my belief amount to nothing more than a genetic fallacy.
bulproof
Posts: 25,203
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2013 6:41:58 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/21/2013 6:37:33 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 12/21/2013 6:32:33 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 12/21/2013 6:30:43 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 12/21/2013 6:20:04 AM, bulproof wrote:

God/s are a CLAIM made by man. That is all god/s are. Prove me wrong.

Science proves you wrong. The Anthropic Principle, the claim that intelligence will originate within our universe, is a direct scientific proof of a benevolent intelligence behind the universe who designed the universe for us to live in.
Sounds like a man made claim? Is it?

Yes. So what? That doesn't make it untrue. People have made claims about things existing before that have been true. Your counter-arguments to my belief amount to nothing more than a genetic fallacy.

Yes man used to claim that lightening bolts were thrown by gods. Of course some of us have gone beyond fantasies and now live in the real world.

Do you join us or do you still place stock in fairie tales?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Installgentoo
Posts: 1,420
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2013 6:44:45 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/21/2013 6:41:58 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 12/21/2013 6:37:33 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 12/21/2013 6:32:33 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 12/21/2013 6:30:43 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 12/21/2013 6:20:04 AM, bulproof wrote:

God/s are a CLAIM made by man. That is all god/s are. Prove me wrong.

Science proves you wrong. The Anthropic Principle, the claim that intelligence will originate within our universe, is a direct scientific proof of a benevolent intelligence behind the universe who designed the universe for us to live in.
Sounds like a man made claim? Is it?

Yes. So what? That doesn't make it untrue. People have made claims about things existing before that have been true. Your counter-arguments to my belief amount to nothing more than a genetic fallacy.

Yes man used to claim that lightening bolts were thrown by gods. Of course some of us have gone beyond fantasies and now live in the real world.


What a strawman.

Do you join us or do you still place stock in fairie tales?

LOL, fairy-tales are false and the Bible is true. All it's claims match our current understanding of science.Lrn2google.
muslimnomore
Posts: 369
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2013 7:04:02 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/21/2013 4:45:40 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
If the brain is just made of a bunch of matter that's mostly compiled when we're young, what use is it to try to convince theists of the truth of atheism? Surely you believe that their brains have already been hardwired to respond to stimuli in different ways, so those of us who reject atheism cannot be convinced it is true.

1. The brain is not just a "bunch of matter". It is a system. It consists of interactions with the environment and other organs in the body.
2. Brain cells constantly die and replaced and new motor connections and memories are implanted in the brain all the time. It is constantly developing and changing. This is how people become better free throw shooters the more they practise.
3. I am not interested in 'convincing' anyone of the 'truth' of atheism. I am interested in learning and changing my own point of view if necessary. This is why I engage in discussions with theists.
bulproof
Posts: 25,203
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2013 7:05:38 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/21/2013 6:44:45 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 12/21/2013 6:41:58 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 12/21/2013 6:37:33 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 12/21/2013 6:32:33 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 12/21/2013 6:30:43 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 12/21/2013 6:20:04 AM, bulproof wrote:

God/s are a CLAIM made by man. That is all god/s are. Prove me wrong.

Science proves you wrong. The Anthropic Principle, the claim that intelligence will originate within our universe, is a direct scientific proof of a benevolent intelligence behind the universe who designed the universe for us to live in.
Sounds like a man made claim? Is it?

Yes. So what? That doesn't make it untrue. People have made claims about things existing before that have been true. Your counter-arguments to my belief amount to nothing more than a genetic fallacy.

Yes man used to claim that lightening bolts were thrown by gods. Of course some of us have gone beyond fantasies and now live in the real world.


What a strawman.

Do you join us or do you still place stock in fairie tales?

LOL, fairy-tales are false and the Bible is true. All it's claims match our current understanding of science.Lrn2google.
OK I pegged you as a delusional and brainwashed at our first encounter and in my attempt to engage you in intelligent conversation in this thread you have confirmed my original estimation.

Have fun with your cult members, have you considered heavens gate as a worthwhile exercise?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
themohawkninja
Posts: 816
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2013 7:50:11 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/21/2013 4:45:40 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
If the brain is just made of a bunch of matter that's mostly compiled when we're young, what use is it to try to convince theists of the truth of atheism?

Atheism hasn't been proved to be true.

Surely you believe that their brains have already been hardwired to respond to stimuli in different ways, so those of us who reject atheism cannot be convinced it is true.

Not really, many people (like me) have converted from theism to deism/atheism. The synapses in the brain develop over time, as we aren't all hardwired for everything at birth. This is how behavioral psychology works.
"Morals are simply a limit to man's potential."~Myself

Political correctness is like saying you can't have a steak, because a baby can't eat one ~Unknown
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2013 12:37:48 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/21/2013 4:45:40 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
If the brain is just made of a bunch of matter that's mostly compiled when we're young, what use is it to try to convince theists of the truth of atheism? Surely you believe that their brains have already been hardwired to respond to stimuli in different ways, so those of us who reject atheism cannot be convinced it is true.

Why can't we say something that stimulates their brain activity to change their mind? All of your threads are embarrassing and retarded.
nummi
Posts: 294
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2013 12:40:47 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/21/2013 5:42:19 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
At 12/21/2013 5:33:35 AM, nummi wrote:
At 12/21/2013 4:45:40 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
If the brain is just made of a bunch of matter that's mostly compiled when we're young, what use is it to try to convince theists of the truth of atheism? Surely you believe that their brains have already been hardwired to respond to stimuli in different ways, so those of us who reject atheism cannot be convinced it is true.
The use is to try and make you see the world you live in as it really is, instead of the fantasies you take as real. If you met a person who took Harry Potter literally and thought it was true you would without a doubt think that person was insane. Now switch Harry Potter with the bible... and you think that is not the same? They are both fantasy stories.

Nice strawman.
Not a strawman. Alternatives can be for fun, for entertainment, as a pastime, to see the messed up mentality what makes one religious (aka insane, basically). To see what idiotic responses people give in certain topics. Etc.

There is no "truth" to atheism, it is simply a state of having no belief in any religions or gods.

I disagree, look at wikipedia, it says it is the rejection of belief in God/gods. If you reject belief in something, then you think that it is false. You must however think the idea you reject less likely to be true than it's negation. That's the logical way of thinking. Therefore the atheist has a burden of proof, which I suppose you just gave by strawmanning my position in the chunk of text I responded to above.

So what if it says the rejection? It's not just that. And even if one simply rejects it then still the person is in a state of no belief in a god, not in a state of rejection. A state of rejection would mean that which one rejects is actually true, this is not the case here. With your religious crap you are rejecting and denying reality, fact. Either way, atheism is the state of a lack of belief in religious aspected crap.

Logical way of thinking? Are you serious??? You take fantasy as reality and you talk about logical way of thinking?!?! Go to an asylum where your mentality belongs, as one of those who live there.

There is no burden of proof when something is not even claimed. Atheism is about not having belief in this nonsense, that's all. There can be no burden of proof for something that claims nothing.

Strawnmanning? You obviously don't know what it even means.

The brains have not been hardwired to anything but the ability to process information coming from the senses, the ability to direct that to your conscious part of the mind, and then the ability to view and think over that in turn consciously, from there on to make decisions of your own, and some other characteristics. And apparently it can as well be abused, as has been in your case 'cause, after all, you do take fantasy as reality.

>says Christians live a fantasy life
You do.
>plays Warhammer 3000 8 hours a day
I've heard about warhammer, or more precisely read the name, but I have absolutely no idea what that 3000 means, or what the game itself is like. Should be obvious who plays it... And just to consider the fact that you would bring something so irrelevant into this proves you are mentally a child (insulting children was not my intention).

Atheism is not something to reject or accept, it is simply a word given to a state, the state itself being the lack of belief.

That's not what the dictionary says.
It is what logic and objective thinking says. Why don't you try those two for a change?

But, atheism as a rejection. Why not? There has never been provided evidence for a god. So of course it must be rejected, and rejected because religions and gods are forced upon others as real without any evidence ever been provided. It is the logical and sane thing to reject all of it.