Jump to topic:

A question for Atheists

ableg02
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2013 12:40:10 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
How can you quickly dismiss the existence of God due to your reliance on science when
even Einstein himself admitted that he himself cannot dismiss such profound possibility: "Your question [about God] is the most difficult in the world. It is not a question I can answer simply with yes or no. I am not an Atheist. I do not know if I can define myself as a Pantheist. The problem involved is too vast for our limited minds."

So my question to you (atheist) is: how did you, with your limited knowledge, come to the conclusion that God does not exist?
Seek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2013 12:42:50 AM
At 12/22/2013 12:40:10 AM, ableg02 wrote:
So my question to you (atheist) is: how did you, with your limited knowledge, come to the conclusion that God does not exist?

Define "god".

No, seriously.

Because your idea of God, and my next-door neighbor's idea of God, and that guy in Burma's idea of God, and that lady in Botswana's idea of God, and Einstein's idea of God are all very different.
CanWeKnow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2013 1:45:45 AM
At 12/22/2013 12:42:50 AM, Seek wrote:

Define "god".

No, seriously.

Because your idea of God, and my next-door neighbor's idea of God, and that guy in Burma's idea of God, and that lady in Botswana's idea of God, and Einstein's idea of God are all very different.

Exactly. -_-
Bleh. We need some code words for God on this forum so we can quickly identify what type of God we are talking about here.

Omnipotent, omnibenevolent, omniscient, omnipresent, God as "everything in the possible universe", God as "nature", God as an initial "force", etc.

-_-

I think if you ask most Atheists they wouldn't even say that they have come to the definite conclusion that God doesn't exist.

That would be called Gnostic Atheism. I think I speak for more than just myself when I say that the majority of Atheists believe in a more Agnostic form of Atheism.

On the other hand, I can't speak for everyone when I say that I have come to my beliefs through lots of debates, discussions, personal reflection, examination of holy text and doctrine from various religions, and basic gut reactions to what I see and hear.

It's a process which I plan to continue throughout my life. I have learned more about myself, the world I live in, and what I believe to be true than I ever learned in Church.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2013 2:12:43 AM
At 12/22/2013 1:45:45 AM, CanWeKnow wrote:

Define "god".

No, seriously.

Exactly. -_-
Bleh. We need some code words for God on this forum so we can quickly identify what type of God we are talking about here.

Omnipotent, omnibenevolent, omniscient, omnipresent, God as "everything in the possible universe", God as "nature", God as an initial "force", etc.

-_-

I think if you ask most Atheists they wouldn't even say that they have come to the definite conclusion that God doesn't exist.

That would be called Gnostic Atheism. I think I speak for more than just myself when I say that the majority of Atheists believe in a more Agnostic form of Atheism.

On the other hand, I can't speak for everyone when I say that I have come to my beliefs through lots of debates, discussions, personal reflection, examination of holy text and doctrine from various religions, and basic gut reactions to what I see and hear.

It's a process which I plan to continue throughout my life. I have learned more about myself, the world I live in, and what I believe to be true than I ever learned in Church.

Well said
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Installgentoo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2013 10:35:18 AM

Define "god".

No, seriously.

There's only one freaking definition of "God" in the dictionary, people.

"God (def): the entity regarded (especially by monotheistic religions) as all-powerful and all-knowing, as well as benevolent and the source of morality and goodness."
Seek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2013 10:38:41 AM
At 12/22/2013 10:35:18 AM, Installgentoo wrote:

Define "god".

No, seriously.

"God (def): the entity regarded (especially by monotheistic religions) as all-powerful and all-knowing, as well as benevolent and the source of morality and goodness."

I can probably list 2,000 gods that are currently worshipped that do not fit that description. And that's only covering Hinduism.
Ramshutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2013 11:59:09 AM
How can you quickly dismiss the existence of God due to your reliance on science when
even Einstein himself admitted that he himself cannot dismiss such profound possibility: "Your question [about God] is the most difficult in the world. It is not a question I can answer simply with yes or no. I am not an Atheist. I do not know if I can define myself as a Pantheist. The problem involved is too vast for our limited minds."

I don't beleive God does not exist. Nor have I come to that conclusion.

I have come to the conclusion that there is simply no reason, no evidence and no justification to beleive in the existance of God. (The two are fundamentally different).

This is based on:

- The organisation of the world, the universe and religion being incongruent to the existance of a divine personal creator.

- The existance of thousands if not tens of thousands of religions (including up to a possible 30,000 different variations and sects of Christianity albeit with 1000s being more likely); almost all of which say that they are the "correct" one and many of which being mutually exclusive with most others indicating that it is possible for a person to be utterly convinced of the existance of a God that does not exist thus eliminating all personal experience arguments.

- The failure of religion and the success of materialism in explaining the unknown: the majority of which have been assigned to "God" over the years.

- The failure of ALL religions to provide a rational and coherent hypothesis as to the nature of God and the purpose of existance. (In fact, Greek AND Roman Gods are more internally consistent than the Modern Christian God).

- The history of man showing a pattern of being very bad at objective thinking and very good at telling and creating fictional stories: with all religions looking more like the latter with very little, if any of the former.
DudeStop
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2013 12:04:09 PM

I'd like to begin by urging that you Google "Einsteins Atheist Letter" Which will most likely take you to the page showing his letter written shortly before his death. The answer to your question would be over the allotted character limit. I watched/Read/Made a lot of debates on religion. I used to be a theist in fact...
If you have any questions for me as an atheist, feel free to ask and I'll happily answer them.
DudeStop
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2013 12:05:27 PM
At 12/22/2013 10:38:41 AM, Seek wrote:
At 12/22/2013 10:35:18 AM, Installgentoo wrote:

Define "god".

No, seriously.

I can probably list 2,000 gods that are currently worshipped that do not fit that description. And that's only covering Hinduism.

Off the top of your head?
Seek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2013 12:10:29 PM
Off the top of my head I could give you 50, not all Hindu. I don't know much about Hinduism, but I do know their pantheon numbers in the thousands.
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2013 12:55:43 PM

Einstein didn't believe in God.

"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." - Albert Einstein [Letter to philosopher Eric Gutkind, January 3, 1954]

"It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it." - Albert Einstein [Einstein: The Human Side, edited by Helen Dukas & Banesh Hoffman]

"During the youthful period of mankind's spiritual evolution, human fantasy created gods in man's own image who, by the operations of their will were supposed to determine, or at any rate influence, the phenomenal world." - Albert Einstein [2000 Years of Disbelief, James Haught]

"It seems to me that the idea of a personal God is an anthropological concept which I cannot take seriously." Albert Einstein ["Religion and Science," New York Times Magazine, November 9, 1930]

---

Einstein once said that if he believed in any God, it would have to be Spinoza's God.

"I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with the fates and actions of human beings." - Albert Einstein [response to Rabbi Herbert Goldstein's question "Do you believe in God?" quoted in: Has Science Found God?, by Victor J Stenger]

But, really, Spinoza's God is just Atheism/ Naturalism wrapped up in a pretty little bow.

"Spinoza asserted that for a concept of god to make any sense at all, it must simply be nature. That is, god cannot be something outside nature that controls it, but must necessarily be part of it. According to Spinoza, God is nature."[http://www.waterwind.com...]
jamccartney
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2013 1:33:24 PM
It is not my limited knowledge that came to that conclusion. It is the knowledge of the great scientists that managed to come up the a way for the universe to come into being without a God. Using their knowledge, I decided that there must not be a God/All-Powerful Being.
themohawkninja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2013 3:16:44 PM
How can you quickly dismiss the existence of God...

Which god?

...due to your reliance on science when even Einstein himself admitted that he himself cannot dismiss such profound possibility: "Your question [about God] is the most difficult in the world. It is not a question I can answer simply with yes or no. I am not an Atheist. I do not know if I can define myself as a Pantheist. The problem involved is too vast for our limited minds."

Einstein is just one person. His intellect holds no more authority than yours or mine.

Secondly the reason for people being atheist varies from person to person.

Most likely they point to the lack of evidence or inference, and conclude that the most likely possibility is that there is no god.
"Morals are simply a limit to man's potential."~Myself

Political correctness is like saying you can't have a steak, because a baby can't eat one ~Unknown