Total Posts:12|Showing Posts:1-12
Jump to topic:

Why did "no sex before marriage" come to be?

themohawkninja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2013 9:23:51 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Since religion is the product of man, how is it that man decided to limit their single most powerful desire (that doesn't keep you alive as an individual) on the grounds of another man-made ritual? It just seems to go against common sense from a survivability perspective, and yet it is so.

So, how, and more importantly why, did man limit their sexual desires beyond the obvious biological taboos and infertilities (those being incest and pedophilia respectably).
"Morals are simply a limit to man's potential."~Myself

Political correctness is like saying you can't have a steak, because a baby can't eat one ~Unknown
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2013 9:33:51 PM
At 12/22/2013 9:23:51 PM, themohawkninja wrote:
Since religion is the product of man, how is it that man decided to limit their single most powerful desire (that doesn't keep you alive as an individual) on the grounds of another man-made ritual? It just seems to go against common sense from a survivability perspective, and yet it is so.

So, how, and more importantly why, did man limit their sexual desires beyond the obvious biological taboos and infertilities (those being incest and pedophilia respectably).

There is no prohibition against paedophilia in the abrahamic religions, why is that do you think?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2013 9:35:44 PM
But in answer to your question, pre marital sex would entail the woman making her own choice and cattle do not make choices about their mating.
themohawkninja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2013 9:37:39 PM
At 12/22/2013 9:33:51 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 12/22/2013 9:23:51 PM, themohawkninja wrote:
Since religion is the product of man, how is it that man decided to limit their single most powerful desire (that doesn't keep you alive as an ) on the grounds of another man-made ritual? It just seems to go against common sense from a survivability perspective, and yet it is so.

There is no prohibition against paedophilia in the abrahamic religions, why is that do you think?

My bad, I should have specified that incest taboo and pedophilia taboo are ingrained in our DNA, whereas no sex before marriage isn't.

It's times like these that I really wish there was an edit button.

Political correctness is like saying you can't have a steak, because a baby can't eat one ~Unknown
themohawkninja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2013 9:39:26 PM
At 12/22/2013 9:35:44 PM, bulproof wrote:
But in answer to your question, pre marital sex would entail the woman making her own choice and cattle do not make choices about their mating.

So, in the super-sexist world of the Biblical times, why not just allow it in the form of rape?

Or is that going too far when it comes to belittling women back then?

bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2013 9:43:29 PM
At 12/22/2013 9:39:26 PM, themohawkninja wrote:

So, in the super-sexist world of the Biblical times, why not just allow it in the form of rape?

Hey they could rape them as long as they married them after. As a woman how would you feel about that order from a loving god.
Installgentoo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2013 9:46:54 PM
At 12/22/2013 9:43:29 PM, bulproof wrote:

Hey they could rape them as long as they married them after. As a woman how would you feel about that order from a loving god.

What a ridiculous statement. The Bible punishes rape with stoning in at least one verse. I'm not even a Christian, but I know that much.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2013 9:53:39 PM
At 12/22/2013 9:46:54 PM, Installgentoo wrote:

What a ridiculous statement. The Bible punishes rape with stoning in at least one verse. I'm not even a Christian, but I know that much.
read the book
Installgentoo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2013 9:57:54 PM
At 12/22/2013 9:53:39 PM, bulproof wrote:

read the book

I doubt you've read enough of it to tell me what is or isn't in it.

We had Bible readings at my high school every week and I'm pretty sure someone's daughter was raped and the rapist suffered some terrible punishment. I don't remember the characters exactly because the Bible has a lot of people, but ho hum, I'm not going to google to prove you wrong.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2013 10:01:20 PM
At 12/22/2013 9:57:54 PM, Installgentoo wrote:

read the book

We had Bible readings at my high school every week and I'm pretty sure someone's daughter was raped and the rapist suffered some terrible punishment. I don't remember the characters exactly because the Bible has a lot of people, but ho hum, I'm not going to google to prove you wrong.

suit yourself. bible reading in highschool. impressive.
themohawkninja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2013 10:02:44 PM

Or is that going too far when it comes to belittling back then?

If I was a women, I sure wouldn't like it (certain personal kinks aside), but considering women's roles in society back then, would it even matter what they felt?

Plus, why does this idea persist today?

Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2013 11:08:19 PM
At 12/22/2013 9:57:54 PM, Installgentoo wrote:

read the book

Deuteronomy 21:10.....

"10 When you go to war against your enemies and the Lord your God delivers them into your hands and you take captives, 11 if you notice among the captives a beautiful woman and are attracted to her, you may take her as your wife. 12 Bring her into your home and have her shave her head, trim her nails 13 and put aside the clothes she was wearing when captured. After she has lived in your house and mourned her father and mother for a full month, then you may go to her and be her husband and she shall be your wife. 14 "

Forced marriage, forced sex.

Forced sex = rape.

Like many human things. There are two rules, one rule for your own tribe, such as thou shalt not kill, rape etc. Then another rule for the "others", those who are not of us.

In group, out group.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12