Jump to topic:

Fear of the Unknown

twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2013 5:54:32 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I find it interesting how many people are very uncomfortable with the unknown. I often hear religious people asking questions to non-believers such as "Well, how did the world begin? You cannot explain that, my God explains it" or "You do not believe, you are stupid for thinking the world can come from nothing".

I do not understand what is wrong with not knowing. I do not know how or why the world began, but I find no reason to believe in a myth to satisfy my curiosity.

Further, past religious have developed myths to explain, why people have mental illness (, how fire came to be and the location of the stars. All these myths were proven wrong.

I do not understand why religious that anything unknown must be God? Why are they so uncomfortable saying "I do not know"
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2013 6:07:07 PM
At 12/30/2013 5:54:32 PM, twocupcakes wrote:
I find it interesting how many people are very uncomfortable with the unknown. I often hear religious people asking questions to non-believers such as "Well, how did the world begin? You cannot explain that, my God explains it" or "You do not believe, you are stupid for thinking the world can come from nothing".

I do not understand what is wrong with not knowing. I do not know how or why the world began, but I find no reason to believe in a myth to satisfy my curiosity.

Further, past religious have developed myths to explain, why people have mental illness (, how fire came to be and the location of the stars. All these myths were proven wrong.

I do not understand why religious that anything unknown must be God? Why are they so uncomfortable saying "I do not know"

It's humans in action. We demand an explanation as to why. We want to know, we demand to know, we can't help ourselves but to try and make sense of the world around us.

Some people have managed to understand that ignorance of why things are a certain way combined with our demand to make sense of it don't justify one iota the inference that it was the work of an intelligence.............yet alone a supernatural intelligence........and then there is Bill O Riley.

How ? Why ? Why ? How do you explain it ? Can you explain that to me ? Huh ? can you ?
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2013 10:15:54 PM

Everything we see are only illusions that come from God's invisible thoughts, which is our created existence. So the only real thing that exists is our Creator and His thoughts. Everything else is created within His thoughts.
biomystic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2013 10:34:59 PM
borno, if you're an example of God I'll stick with the Reality Show playing here and all around the outside edges of your computer screen. The Scripts are better written than the one you got. You can play that out only so many times before the audience yawns and says, seen that many a times, the ones coming onto internet forums claiming to know the Truth but so lacking in any rational proof of it as to be placed in the put-on-ignore category after people figure out there's no dialogue possible with a true religious fanatic who is convinced he's God.

And besides, I'm Jewish, salvation is of us Jews, and you're just another Gentile interloper horning in Jewish religious matters without any intellectual or spiritual understanding why God put the Celestial Torah into our hands for protection from religious thievery.
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2013 12:27:19 AM

You do realize, using that sort of logic, you can lump yourself in with that category of people too, right?

I mean, how many times on this site alone have you ridiculed/mocked religious people about an aspect of their beliefs you didn't understand? Probably, just about every single one you could. Does this mean you also fear the unknown?

Neither do I. I feel sorry for those who do just try to grab on to anything that makes sense to them in order to satisfy this "curiosity" or desperation...

So you argument is:

1) Religions in the past tried to explain many things using superstition, and folklore
2) Those religions were obviously wrong about A LOT
3) Therefore all religious claims are false

?

Why is God only given credit to the unknown things would be my question.

Because I know how a baby is made and develops in the womb, and is born means that God didn't create that process?
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2013 12:41:06 AM
At 12/31/2013 12:27:19 AM, Paradox_7 wrote:
So you argument is:

1) Religions in the past tried to explain many things using superstition, and folklore

No they used GOD/s to explain things. God/s they created, just like the one you believe in was created in the middle east about 3000yrs ago to explain some things.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2013 12:48:33 AM
At 12/31/2013 12:41:06 AM, bulproof wrote:
So you argument is:

No they used GOD/s to explain things. God/s they created, just like the one you believe in was created in the middle east about 3000yrs ago to explain some things.

Gods, superstition, its all the same to you anyway.

Was there a point to your post though, other then to insult my beliefs?
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2013 12:54:11 AM
Why are they so uncomfortable saying "I do not know"

This makes me think you aren't very acquainted with religious thought. There is plenty of mystery in religion, and I don't see many religious people who are too uncomfortable to freely admit when they don't know something about some religious aspect of their belief set.

It's all a matter of matter of what mysteries one finds acceptable or not. What about the person who says - in the face of evil - I don't know why God allows evil? Or one who freely admits to the mystery of God's transcendence. An atheist wont find those kind of mysteries acceptable, but so what? A theist won't find many of the mysteries that, for example, a typical western atheist has in their belief set very acceptable either.

So, twocupcakes, what constitutes an "acceptable" mystery and how do you differentiate between those and "unacceptable" mysteries?

This reminds of something I read by the philosopher Peter Van Inwagen when writing about free will to the effect of it's not a matter of choosing between two choices: mystery and non-mysterious answers. It's a matter of choosing between mysteries.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2013 1:02:57 AM
At 12/31/2013 12:48:33 AM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 12/31/2013 12:41:06 AM, bulproof wrote:
So you argument is:

Gods, superstition, its all the same to you anyway.

Was there a point to your post though, other then to insult my beliefs?
Yes it was to correct your erroneous statement to which you made another coupled with a false accusation.

Do your beliefs cry when they are insulted? Do they talk to you or do they go off and sulk? Perhaps if you take your beliefs to a psychiatrist he may be able to help them. Do all of them get insulted at the same time? How many are there? How do you know when they've been insulted?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2013 9:07:50 AM

You do realize, using that sort of logic, you can lump yourself in with that category of people too, right?

I mean, how many times on this site alone have you ridiculed/mocked religious people about an aspect of their beliefs you didn't understand? Probably, just about every single one you could. Does this mean you also fear the unknown?

I have an issue with those that claim something along the lines of, you cannot explain that, therefor God. Like, you cannot explain evolution, therefor God did it. Or, I survived a disaster, therefore God did it. The Bill O'Reilly video posted above is the great example of what I am criticizing. I do not recall be doing that (but I could be wrong) so please post an example if you think I have

Neither do I. I feel sorry for those who do just try to grab on to anything that makes sense to them in order to satisfy this "curiosity" or desperation...

Well, that's good. It seems we are in rare agreement. People who think things like that Bill O'Reilly video. Things like "how did the moon get there, you cannot explain it, God can" are talking nonsense

So you argument is:

2) Those religions were obviously wrong about A LOT
3) Therefore all religious claims are false

No, I do not think this shows all religions are false. It just shows how silly it is to think that unknown events are caused by God. There are many past examples of people believing God did the unexplained, then an explanation comes out.

Why is God only given credit to the unknown things would be my question.

Because I know how a baby is made and develops in the womb, and is born means that God didn't create that process?

I am criticizing those who use an unexplained event as an argument for God. Like the Bill O'Reilly vid.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2013 9:53:53 AM
At 12/31/2013 12:54:11 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
Why are they so uncomfortable saying "I do not know"

This makes me think you aren't very acquainted with religious thought. There is plenty of mystery in religion, and I don't see many religious people who are too uncomfortable to freely admit when they don't know something about some religious aspect of their belief set.

I do not have an issue with any theist who has the courage to say they do not know. Also, there are plenty of theists who believe in evolution, and the big bang. But, I often see theists make claims like the Bill O'Reilly vid posted above. I am not saying all religious do.

It's all a matter of matter of what mysteries one finds acceptable or not. What about the person who says - in the face of evil - I don't know why God allows evil? Or one who freely admits to the mystery of God's transcendence. An atheist wont find those kind of mysteries acceptable, but so what? A theist won't find many of the mysteries that, for example, a typical western atheist has in their belief set very acceptable either.

I do not see any reason for a theist to create a God/magical belief to explain an unknown

I have no problem with a theist not knowing why God would allow evil. I have no problem with someone making the argument that an all good, powerful God would not allow evil.

So, twocupcakes, what constitutes an "acceptable" mystery and how do you differentiate between those and "unacceptable" mysteries?

I think the good majority of mysteries are acceptable.

As far as the "why does God allow evil" question, it is also an acceptable mystery. But, to atheists God is a fictional character. I also think the questions "Why is Sam so insistent on getting people to try Green Eggs and Ham?" and "Why does Obi-Wan Kenobi allow Darth Vader to strike him down?" are acceptable mysteries.

We know humans got here somehow, we know the tides come in and tides come out, we know the universe exists. We do not know if God, Obi Wan Kenobi or Sam I Am exist. I find it unacceptable for people to come up with a magical solution to explain an unknown.

This reminds of something I read by the philosopher Peter Van Inwagen when writing about free will to the effect of it's not a matter of choosing between two choices: mystery and non-mysterious answers. It's a matter of choosing between mysteries.

Well, it is a mystery how we got here, and why we exist. I do not think it is anything to choose. I suppose people can choose to invent a magical solution and live in La-La land. But, the mystery is still there in reality.