Christians:

Why do you think the Bible is true?
Why do you think Jesus was God?
WHy do you believe in Creationism?

Jews:

Why do you not believe in Hell?
Why are you so hated?

Muslims:

Why do some of you kill Americans, even though it is against what Allah says?
Do you really pray 5 times a day?

Hindus:

Why do you believe you reincarnate?

Atheists:

Why do you not believe in God?
Why do you believe in Evolution?

Polytheists:

WHy do you believe in multiple Gods instead of just one?
"I don't know why gays want to marry, I have spent the last 25 years wishing I wasn't allowed to." -Sadolite
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2013 11:47:30 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I guess I'll answer the Jews portion of this

At 12/30/2013 11:16:55 PM, dtaylor971 wrote:

Jews:

The BOP is on someone else, not me, or Jews in general. I certainly don't believe any kind of Dante's Inferno version of hell, and the idea of a hell described with all it's physical qualities seem dubious to me from any perspective.

I certainly don't need to be threatened with a "Hell concept" to be a good person.

I can describe the Jewish concept of hell another time, but I believe this question is essentially why I don't believe in the Christian concept of Hell... and I think I've answered that.

Why are you so hated?

From a political perspective, any small group of "others" is at risk and easy to use as a political tool. Jews are always a small defenseless minority and thus easy targets. The exception is now in the US and Israel, and those are now the only places in the world where Jews live in any significant numbers.

From another specific perspective, hatred of Jews can be blamed on a number of factors. Jews being blamed for the death of Jesus is one. Jewish resistance to convert to Christianity or Islam has led to those cultural perspectives of them being godless and sinful. Though in defense of Christianity this isn't so much the case anymore post Vatican 2.

Jews make a unique religious claim that may cause some to subconsciously hate them by reflecting on other religions though this would to difficult argue.

Jews are disproportionately involved in certain fields (finance, government especially) and this may make those who are less successful blame the Jews for their lack of success.

Anyways this is a very large topic requiring much more than just a couple paragraphs to fully explain, it's also in no way unique to Jews in many of the examples I would give.
Debate.org Moderator
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2013 12:06:53 AM
I think I can take a good guess at the answers here.

Christians:

Cause it's content is just so awesome that it must of being the product of a divine intelligence.

Cause the bible says so

Because a cat doesn't give birth to a duck !!!! Ergo evolution is b*llshit

Jews:

Because its not in our bible

Why are you so hated?

Cause we are rich and successful and Gods chosen people. Envy is a dangerous thing.

Muslims:

1) Because they are enemies of God, and as such we are justified in killing them.

2) They are not true muslims, they have gone off the path

Hindus:

Because such and such says so.

Atheists:

1) Don't have good reason too
2) All Gods are false..........except ones own
3) Reason not to believe (at least in some types of Gods) POE ?

Science

Polytheists:

You can't have fun, with only one !!!
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2013 12:11:50 AM
At 12/31/2013 12:06:53 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
I think I can take a good guess at the answers here.

Christians:

Cause it's content is just so awesome that it must of being the product of a divine intelligence.

Cause the bible says so

Because a cat doesn't give birth to a duck !!!! Ergo evolution is b*llshit

Jews:

Because its not in our bible

Why are you so hated?

Cause we are rich and successful and Gods chosen people. Envy is a dangerous thing.

Muslims:

1) Because they are enemies of God, and as such we are justified in killing them.

2) They are not true muslims, they have gone off the path

Hindus:

Because such and such says so.

Atheists:

1) Don't have good reason too
2) All Gods are false..........except ones own
3) Reason not to believe (at least in some types of Gods) POE ?

Science

Polytheists:

You can't have fun, with only one !!!

Nicely done.
Debate.org Moderator
RhysJaxson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2013 1:37:45 AM
Atheists:

I don't believe in [concept] because there is insufficient evidence to cause me to believe in [concept].

Concept = God, Zeus, Thor, Earth Mother Goddess, Santa Claus, Flying Spaghetti Monster, faster-than-light travel, etc.

There are an infinite number of possible god-concepts. There is no rational reason to pick one of them, especially the one you just happened to be born into, and believe in it without any supporting evidence.

Adding to that, the concept of the Christian god is demonstrably improbable, if not impossible altogether.

I don't believe in evolution. I don't believe in germ theory. I don't believe in gravity. I accept them as the best scientific theories we have to explain data. There is no trust in authority, no accepting a concept without sufficient evidence. I accept these things because they are verifiable, repeatable, and as of yet unfalsified. I find 'accept' to be a far better word than 'believe' for matters of knowledge.

The supporting evidence for evolution is incontrovertible. Specific details are fuzzy and will be improved with more data, such as tuning classifications and gaining better understandings of precise details, but the overall theory is one of the most-supported theories in all fields of science.

There has not been a single test or published, peer-reviewed paper that has falsified the theory of evolution in any way. Rejecting evolution is a complete rejection of the scientific method.
We are better than religion. We are better than gods.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2013 1:52:41 AM
Muslims:

Don't attempt to put us in the same group. People walking with the same religious label doesn't make them either responsible for one another nor each others' spokesmen. The Muslims who kill innocent people are mentally deficient, and have a distorted interpretation of Islam that suits their worldviews.

Most do not.
Installgentoo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2014 7:12:08 AM
Christians:

I'm pretty sure most Christians believe in theistic evolution or intelligent design. I've never met a European Christian who believes in Creationism.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2014 7:18:14 AM
At 1/1/2014 7:12:08 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
Christians:

I'm pretty sure most Christians believe in theistic evolution or intelligent design. I've never met a European Christian who believes in Creationism.
Intelligent design = Creationism.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
biomystic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2014 8:34:52 AM
Christians:

I don't. I'm a Celestial Torah Christian, a modern Gnostic Christian belief system. We Gnostics never based our Christian beliefs on the Bible. That's Pauline Christian doctrine of the Roman Empire Catholic Church men.

"was God"?? Is God. Because WE, the Elohim, set Creation up that way. Every system has its leading edge in time and space and for Life, for Consciousness, for Intelligence, the Leading Edge is the bearer of the Humanitarian Archetype, the Good God as pure Great Spirit embedded within material Creation as "the Good Son", the one on earth who follows the One in heaven who Rules the Humanitarian Archetype that leads humanity ever forward into evolving from human beings into humane beings, i.e modeling the Elohim, the Holy Family above, US in religious symbolic language. In short: on earth Jesus Christ was the Son of God Most High but once ascended Christ became One with God as "Father" as Leading Edge of the Humanitarian Archetype evolving through the evolution of Life and Humanity in time and space.

Jews:

Hell as it is a man-made concept that contradicts a God of Love who forgive sinners.

Why are you so hated?

We never learned the basic sociological rules human beings have always used to overcome tribal xenophobia: these are social intercourse, sharing food together, sharing community together, and sharing families together. All through our history our religion told us to shun Gentiles, and we did so until the 1950's when it became prudent to become friends with Gentile businessmen and Evangelical Christians supporting Israel. Now we aren't so prejudiced against Gentiles--except the ones in our way to establishing Greater Israel on top of Palestine, then Syria, Lebanon, and Iraq. Nile to Euphrates. The two blue symbolic lines top and bottom in our Jewish Flag of Israel. We steal Palestinian land now--all Muslims hate us for it. Except the ones we buy off. We control America and all global banking systems through our ownership of most all the large banks of the world. Our complete control is seen in the selection of only us Jews (2% of the population) as chief financial officers for all America. This makes us hated because we were never known for our generosity to Gentiles. As Ashkenazim Jewish converts in Europe we bred ourselves to be be smart, with education always highly valued and rabbis considered the best of fathers. This breeding program produced the world's most intelligent minority group. The Nazis copied their breeding program on our which is another reason we are hated. And rightly so on this as God and Nature both agree inbreeding is not a good idea in the long run for any human group, so we Ashkenazim suffer from diseases specific to our inbreeding program.

Muslims:

Our religion is a religion of war. Our founder was a warlord. We are taught in our Holy Book to kill anyone who we think causes what we call "mischief" or is critical of our beliefs and chiefs in any way. By eliminating religious competition and/or governments, we establish Peace when there are no more of our enemies left alive to cause mischief.

Yes, we learned the practice from Hindu Brahmin businessmen and their families and servants living among us who ran a thriving incense and spice trading business out of Yemen in the 1st millennia B.C. We deny any Hindu Vedic influence of course but many of our Arabic words are derived directly from Sanskrit, like our Founder's name, phub, for example and his Black Stone shivaling idol still the center piece in Mecca where we also do another Hindu religious ritual, walking around in a circle only we do it opposite of the Hindus so it's all ours.

Hindus:

Because we have it as a religious belief and must therefore belief it true or our religious beliefs founder. Actually, it's like vicarious sin atonement belief, it's ancient and logically absurd, no two things able to occupy the same space at the same time, but the belief continues on and on, reincarnating again and again. Logic tells us that there's a big problem with reincarnation which is if the definition of a "soul" is that it is the true Unique spiritual essence of a person, and that every body needs a soul to animate it into life, then what happens to the new body's soul if the old soul comes swooping in to invade the body? It gets squished or eliminated or deformed and thus is no reality anyone with honor or compassion wants to participate in. Spirits are Archetypical energy complexes and do reincarnate and drive human beings time and again, but not souls.

Atheists:

Because we're not scientific and base our beliefs on emotions instead of facts. Facts say Something designed our Universe awfully nicely for the rise of us, all those math Constants lining up with just the right proportions astronomically precise for the rise of Life and Consciousness and Intelligence--for those who learn how to survive the solar system billiard ball elimination rules. Plus we can not believe in God by sticking our heads in the sand or up our behinds and never look where the facts are that show something strange in human behavior marking human beings different from animals. Astonishing amounts of time devoted to ritual behavior dealing with what we know are imaginary things even though Nature has evolved the majority of human beings to have the ability to experience spiritual events in religious epiphanies small and large. Our atheist brains are autistic in that area and so we never have religious experiences and think if we don't have them, nobody else possibly can. Spiritual consciousness capacity hardwired into the human brain can't be true.

Because it makes elegant sense on paper.

Polytheists:

Because if we believe in one God that would make us like Christians and the whole idea is to be not like Christians. So we pretend we can resurrect old gods by intellectual effort. We read a lot of comic books as kids.
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2014 8:40:06 AM

(... )

Atheists:

I don't see much reason to believe in gods. "God", well, I see no reason in believing in that god.

Loaded question, but I do so... it makes sense, and it is generally accepted in the scientific community, so I will believe it for now (and probably for the rest of my life).
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
biomystic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2014 8:44:41 AM
Missed this one:

Because it makes the most sense logically. But only when you use the Logic of History that explains and predicts the ever-increasing acquisition of knowledge and powers over environmental conditions by evolving intelligent Life. It's all in the old Star Trek prototype 1958 movie, Forbidden Planet with the Krell Machine that could turn thought into matter, the essential power of any God. Creation, the Universe we see and live in, is the Crucible by which matter is pounded into Life, Consciousness, Intelligence, and finally God. This is how God comes about "Unbegotten" in Gnostic spiritual language.