Jump to topic:

AMA, but try to keep it relevant.

RhysJaxson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2013 2:12:46 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I'm an atheist and anti-theist, and I'm looking for discussion and topics to write about on my website. If anyone asks a question I like, I'll add it to my list of topics to cover on my blog.

I'm an atheist, deconverted from Christianity. I don't think atheism is a very good identifier for someone though, any more than being an afairiest really tells someone anything about me.

What's more important is that I'm an anti-theist. I hold that religion is a harmful social product that has outlived its usefulness, and humanity would be better off without it. I think the indoctrination of billions of children is one of the great crimes of humanity.
We are better than religion. We are better than gods.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2013 4:39:36 PM
At 12/31/2013 2:12:46 AM, RhysJaxson wrote:
I'm an atheist and anti-theist, and I'm looking for discussion and topics to write about on my website. If anyone asks a question I like, I'll add it to my list of topics to cover on my blog.

I'm an atheist, deconverted from Christianity. I don't think atheism is a very good identifier for someone though, any more than being an afairiest really tells someone anything about me.

What's more important is that I'm an anti-theist. I hold that religion is a harmful social product that has outlived its usefulness, and humanity would be better off without it. I think the indoctrination of billions of children is one of the great crimes of humanity.

Have you read The Brothers Karamazov?
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2013 4:40:32 PM
It it your claim that "there is no God" or is it your claim that "there is no evidence for God's existence"?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2013 4:42:11 PM
Is it your position that all religion is universally harmful in all ways?

Where do you stand politically?

Why did you become an atheist? (I want the visceral reason, not way you rationalized it to yourself.)

What kind of a family situation did you have growing up?
Tsar of DDO
RhysJaxson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2013 4:51:32 PM
At 12/31/2013 4:39:36 PM, YYW wrote:

No, I haven't. I'm not very well read, but I'm working on it. I'll take a look at it.

At 12/31/2013 4:40:32 PM, YYW wrote:
It it your claim that "there is no God" or is it your claim that "there is no evidence for God's existence"?

I do acknowledge as a technicality that I can't prove there is no god, but only to the same extent that I acknowledge that reality could really be a dream or computer simulation. I don't live my life with those caveats though.

As a matter of practicality, I claim that all gods are man-made concepts. For instance, the Christian god makes far more sense if viewed as the attempts of an ignorant culture to explain the world and enforce desired behavior(even immoral behavior), than to view that god as being real.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2013 4:53:47 PM
At 12/31/2013 4:51:32 PM, RhysJaxson wrote:
At 12/31/2013 4:39:36 PM, YYW wrote:

No, I haven't. I'm not very well read, but I'm working on it. I'll take a look at it.

I'd suggest it.

At 12/31/2013 4:40:32 PM, YYW wrote:

I do acknowledge as a technicality that I can't prove there is no god, but only to the same extent that I acknowledge that reality could really be a dream or computer simulation. I don't live my life with those caveats though.

As a matter of practicality, I claim that all gods are man-made concepts. For instance, the Christian god makes far more sense if viewed as the attempts of an ignorant culture to explain the world and enforce desired behavior(even immoral behavior), than to view that god as being real.

Nietzsche would agree, as would a fair number of psychiatrists. Let me know when/if you start reading Dostoevsky. I shall be interested to know what you think of that...
Tsar of DDO
RhysJaxson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2013 5:01:14 PM
At 12/31/2013 4:42:11 PM, YYW wrote:
Is it your position that all religion is universally harmful in all ways?

No. I don't like to walk around with *'s and qualifying every statement. I live in the USA, and for all intents and purposes, Christianity is the broad religion that impacts our culture. Different religions are used for differing levels of harm. Christianity grew up, and I think Islam is working on that too.

But it's more basic that 'religion is harmful'. Indoctrination is harmful, and every good Christian parent indoctrinates their children, whether they realize it or not. Critical thinking is discouraged. Science is presented as a lesser alternative, or even something from the devil. Having nearly half of all Americans reject evolution is immensely damaging to society, because of Christianity.

Where do you stand politically?

I've been all over the place. I was raised conservative, I've tried adopting liberalism, libertarianism, and right now I just consider myself an empiricist. The only way we will figure out politics is through gathering data and trying different approaches.

Mostly, I'm undecided. I don't have the evidence, or haven't studied it enough, to be able to make an informed decision on most issues, and I'm tired of playing the shallow game of political opinions that permeates the country.

Why did you become an atheist? (I want the visceral reason, not way you rationalized it to yourself.)

I don't have a visceral reason. Visceral reasons explain why I used to believe in God, not why I'm now an atheist.

I'm an atheist because I see no evidence or reason to believe in any particular god, or to expect a god to be necessary or even possible.

What kind of a family situation did you have growing up?

Middle class family, loving and involved parents, everything centered around Christ.
muslimnomore
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2013 5:30:52 PM
At 12/31/2013 5:01:14 PM, RhysJaxson wrote:
right now I just consider myself an empiricist. The only way we will figure out politics is through gathering data and trying different approaches.

This is not a satisfactory answer, as I am sure that certain approaches (e.g. dictatorship, theocracy, totalitarianism etc.) are off-limits in your mind. Please be more specific and elaborate. Perhaps you could write out a list of approaches to social, political and economic problems that you would never even test.
Dogknox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2013 5:43:58 PM

RhysJaxson Good to meet you..
I point out... Man has ALWAYS believed in a God or gods, from the earliest times of the caveman all around the world up to today!!

Example the North American Indian believed in a Great White Spirit!
Not a civilization can be found from the past that did not believe in a god!
You place yourself into a very very small minority of man kind!

I point out.. Animals do NOT believe in a god!
Pigs Dogs Sheep Snails do NOT believe in a god! I say; You lower yourself to that of a Pig just an Animal is all you become!
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2013 5:59:44 PM
Have you looked into philosophy much?*

*dont mention Dawkins, Harris, or Hitchens pl0x
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
RhysJaxson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2013 6:10:15 PM
At 12/31/2013 5:30:52 PM, muslimnomore wrote:
At 12/31/2013 5:01:14 PM, RhysJaxson wrote:
right now I just consider myself an empiricist. The only way we will figure out politics is through gathering data and trying different approaches.

This is not a satisfactory answer, as I am sure that certain approaches (e.g. dictatorship, theocracy, totalitarianism etc.) are off-limits in your mind. Please be more specific and elaborate. Perhaps you could write out a list of approaches to social, political and economic problems that you would never even test.

If a dictatorship led to the best possible results I would support it. I can't rule anything out without data.

Like I said, I'm tired of dealing with politics superficially. It's not something that I've devoted enough time to. None, or very few, of my political opinions have been satisfactorily substantiated. I might not ever even get around to it, there are so many other subjects that interest me more.
RhysJaxson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2013 6:13:50 PM
At 12/31/2013 5:43:58 PM, Dogknox wrote:
I point out... Man has ALWAYS believed in a God or gods, from the earliest times of the caveman all around the world up to today!!

Pigs Dogs Sheep Snails do NOT believe in a god! I say; You lower yourself to that of a Pig just an Animal is all you become!

Good to meet you as well.

Man has always believed in gods, yes, but the concept of god has consistently shrunk with the advancement of knowledge. We don't live in nearly such an ignorant time anymore.

In fact, we can now understand religion far beyond anyone in the past. We can understand the genetic/survival benefit our ancestors enjoyed from being superstitious. We can examine biochemical processes and explain religious feelings and NDEs. We are in the unique position to understand *why* people have always believed, and overcome it.

There's a reason atheism is growing, it's not nearly the tiny percentage it used to be.
RhysJaxson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2013 6:17:09 PM
At 12/31/2013 5:59:44 PM, Noumena wrote:
Have you looked into philosophy much?*

*dont mention Dawkins, Harris, or Hitchens pl0x

No, not much. It's something I do want to study more sometime in the future, when I have the time.
Dogknox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2013 6:23:55 PM
At 12/31/2013 6:13:50 PM, RhysJaxson wrote:

Man has always believed in gods, yes, but the concept of god has consistently shrunk with the advancement of knowledge. We don't live in nearly such an ignorant time anymore.

In fact, we can now understand religion far beyond anyone in the past. We can understand the genetic/survival benefit our ancestors enjoyed from being superstitious. We can examine biochemical processes and explain religious feelings and NDEs. We are in the unique position to understand *why* people have always believed, and overcome it.

There's a reason atheism is growing, it's not nearly the tiny percentage it used to be.
I reply: Explain "MIRACLES" please!

It is just this simple.... You have to admit they have happened throughout mans history and they are still taking place today!
"MIRACLES" are UN-EXPLAINABLE!

The "miracle of the sun" is a good example.. Witnessed by thousands of people!
Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Miracle of the Sun is located in Portugal

Location of F"tima, Portugal
The Miracle of the Sun (Portuguese: O Milagre do Sol) was an event on 13 October 1917.........
etc
RhysJaxson you have to stick your head into the sand.. Or hold your hands over your ears like a four year old and scream "I can't hear you" to "BELIEVE" what you "BELIEVE"!!!!
RhysJaxson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2013 6:32:49 PM
At 12/31/2013 6:23:55 PM, Dogknox wrote:

It is just this simple.... You have to admit they have happened throughout mans history and they are still taking place today!

The Miracle of the Sun (Portuguese: O Milagre do Sol) was an event on 13 October 1917.........
etc
RhysJaxson you have to stick your head into the sand.. Or hold your hands over your ears like a four year old and scream "I can't hear you" to "BELIEVE" what you "BELIEVE"!!!!

There are certain types of people I will not tolerate. You are one of them. Have a nice day.
Dogknox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2013 6:45:05 PM
At 12/31/2013 6:32:49 PM, RhysJaxson wrote:

etc

There are certain types of people I will not tolerate. You are one of them. Have a nice day.

YUP.... You "BELIEVE" there is NO God! Okay.....
I put you to the test all you prove is, you can't prove anything all you have is your FAITH!
You have your BELIEF!!!

You don't BELIEVE in MIRACLES.... okay fine... This is another of your beliefs!
Can't reply so you refuse to talk in this "DEBATE Forum"??!!

I am CHRISTIAN... My proof is MIRACLES!!!
Miracles have always happened.... Thus there is a God, always has been!
Magic8000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2013 7:46:05 PM

etc

The miracle of the sun is probably the worst possible example of a "miracle" you can cite. Spoiler kids, looking at the sun will f*ck up your perception of it. There's so many catholic astronomers that have refuted this "miracle".
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

"So Magic8000 believes Einstein was a proctologist who was persuaded by the Government and Hitler to fabricate the Theory of Relativity"- GWL-CPA
Installgentoo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2014 1:56:18 AM
I think the indoctrination of billions of children is one of the great crimes of humanity.

billions

Yeah, okay.
Dogknox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2014 12:16:22 PM
At 12/31/2013 7:46:05 PM, Magic8000 wrote:

etc

The miracle of the sun is probably the worst possible example of a "miracle" you can cite. Spoiler kids, looking at the sun will f*ck up your perception of it. There's so many catholic astronomers that have refuted this "miracle".

Magic8000 Good to meet you.... Okay why did you stop writing??!
Point me to these "Catholic Astronomers"!!!
I point you to FACTS!!!
Over ten Thousand people saw the miracle!! They showed up at this one place, on this one date, at this one time because Mary said she would do a Miracle.
News Paper Reporters showed up, they wrote about it in the News Papers of the day!

It is a Miracle simply because it cannot be refuted! This is ONE Among many, many other miracles over the centuries!

Miracles are PROOF there is a GOD!!!!
Magic8000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2014 12:18:26 PM
At 1/1/2014 12:16:22 PM, Dogknox wrote:

etc

I point you to FACTS!!!
Over ten Thousand people saw the miracle!! They showed up at this one place, on this one date, at this one time because Mary said she would do a Miracle.
News Paper Reporters showed up, they wrote about it in the News Papers of the day!

It is a Miracle simply because it cannot be refuted! This is ONE Among many, many other miracles over the centuries!

Pio Scatizzi, Society of Jesus, described the events of that day on F"tima, and he concluded:

The ... solar phenomena were not observed in any observatory. Impossible that they should escape notice of so many astronomers and indeed the other inhabitants of the hemisphere... there is no question of an astronomical or meteorological event phenomenon... Either all the observers in F"tima were collectively deceived and erred in their testimony, or we must suppose an extra-natural intervention

http://en.wikipedia.org...
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

"So Magic8000 believes Einstein was a proctologist who was persuaded by the Government and Hitler to fabricate the Theory of Relativity"- GWL-CPA
Dogknox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2014 12:24:14 PM
At 1/1/2014 12:18:26 PM, Magic8000 wrote:

etc

I point you to FACTS!!!

Pio Scatizzi, Society of Jesus, described the events of that day on F"tima, and he concluded:

The ... solar phenomena were not observed in any observatory. Impossible that they should escape notice of so many astronomers and indeed the other inhabitants of the hemisphere... there is no question of an astronomical or meteorological event phenomenon... Either all the observers in F"tima were collectively deceived and erred in their testimony, or we must suppose an extra-natural intervention

Right you are.... It says this (above) .... Making it more of a MIRACLE!!!!

The Thousands that showed up for the Miracle... saw it!!
The News Paper reporters that showed to report on "Mary's promised Miracle" saw it!!

It rained buckets and no one got wet, it poured; There was none or little mud!!!
Magic8000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2014 12:25:17 PM
At 1/1/2014 12:24:14 PM, Dogknox wrote:
At 1/1/2014 12:18:26 PM, Magic8000 wrote:

etc

I point you to FACTS!!!

Right you are.... It says this (above) .... Making it more of a MIRACLE!!!!

The Thousands that showed up for the Miracle... saw it!!
The News Paper reporters that showed to report on "Mary's promised Miracle" saw it!!

It rained buckets and no one got wet, it poured; There was none or little mud!!!

u wot m8?

Dogknox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2014 12:27:30 PM
At 1/1/2014 12:25:17 PM, Magic8000 wrote:

u wot m8?

I reply?????????????????????????????
Magic8000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2014 12:28:16 PM
At 1/1/2014 12:27:30 PM, Dogknox wrote:

u wot m8?

Yeah, the link disproved the claim of a miracle.

Dogknox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2014 12:31:12 PM
At 1/1/2014 12:28:16 PM, Magic8000 wrote:

u wot m8?

Okay?? It is disproved by a "LINK"!
You believe the "LINK"!!!?????
Do you believe the bible??!!
The Bible PROVES Jesus is God and there is a God!
Magic8000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2014 12:32:12 PM
At 1/1/2014 12:31:12 PM, Dogknox wrote:

u wot m8?

I only believe the bible if it's in a link.

Dogknox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2014 12:33:05 PM

u wot m8?

I would think if you believe "LINKS" you would be open minded enough to also believe the bible!!
Magic8000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2014 12:35:36 PM
At 1/1/2014 12:33:05 PM, Dogknox wrote:

u wot m8?

I would think if you believe "LINKS" you would be open minded enough to also believe the bible!!

The bible is false because men invented everything good. Look at Doritos. God didn't design them, man did.

Dogknox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2014 12:39:51 PM
At 1/1/2014 12:35:36 PM, Magic8000 wrote:

u wot m8?

The bible is false because men invented everything good. Look at Doritos. God didn't design them, man did.

Sooo you prove you have your "BELIEFS"!!!
You have "FAITH" there is no God!!!
You can't prove it.. You must rely on your BELIEFS and FAITH...
You trust your salvation to ..What??? Yourself!
Magic8000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2014 12:41:41 PM
At 1/1/2014 12:39:51 PM, Dogknox wrote:
At 1/1/2014 12:35:36 PM, Magic8000 wrote:

u wot m8?

Sooo you prove you have your "BELIEFS"!!!
You have "FAITH" there is no God!!!
You can't prove it.. You must rely on your BELIEFS and FAITH...
You trust your salvation to ..What??? Yourself!

I believe in science. I trust my salvation of uploading my mind to skynet. Robots will take over and God will do nothing. You'll see.